PDA

View Full Version : Updos for contemporary dance?

Strawonaberry
March 6th, 2019, 01:05 PM
Since taking up contemporary dance this time last year, back when my hair was around chin length to APL now, I've always had trouble with putting it up for class.
I've actually had trouble with this my whole life because of my iii(+?) thickness + extremely sensitive scalp, plus I didn't know how to do anything but a ponytail + bobby pins.

Now that I can finally make a firm bun with a claw clip, or a french braid, it wouldn't be so bad if it was just the standing part, but because we have to literally roll around on the floor, braids come apart and buns are unconfortable as they protrude from the head. My teacher and classmates usually just wear tight, high ponytails that they just roll over, but my scalp can't take that and loose ones just get looser and the hanging weight causes me pain too.

I know my case is quite hard, but maybe someone has any ideas for the moment? I guess my braids will be more resistant when my hair is longer, now they're always fat and about to explode.
That, or I'll end up getting a buzzuct lol

Reyn127
March 6th, 2019, 03:36 PM
Hmm, maybe something like a tucked French braid would work? If your hair will hold in a French braid, that is - try tucking the length of the braid underneath the part that is braided against your head. Maybe use a couple of Bobby pins or U-pins, if your scalp can take it. I’ve found it pretty comfortable for rolling around, and you don’t have too much length flopping around.

My other idea is to just wrap your hair up in some sort of silk scarf or sleep cap, perhaps. But for me, those never stay on.

cjk
March 6th, 2019, 05:17 PM
I guess my braids will be more resistant when my hair is longer, now they're always fat and about to explode.

Try a double pigtail braid.

Or really anything that puts your hair on the side of your head instead of the back. Princess Leia buns maybe.

Ooh, or a ballerina bun.

lunalocks
March 6th, 2019, 06:37 PM
My hair is not as thick as yours, but the only thing that that holds my hair well when dancing (I do aerobic dance and NIA) is a french twist with spin pins. My hair is longer than for a regular french twist, so I figure 8 the length between my left thumb and fore finger and tuck it under the roll and spin pin in place. The other updo I would recommend is a high sea shell bun.I often do that one for sleeping. Good for you for doing contemporary dance!!!

milosmomma
March 6th, 2019, 07:21 PM
I was going to suggest double dutch/french braids but cjk beat me to it. I saw a tutorial from silvousplaits where she does two rope braids one on top of the other, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puzgpBoesss (it's the last stle in the video) You could try it with 3 strand braids that might hold up better to rolling around and vigorous dancing or even bun them with pins. The divided weight might be easier on your scalp. Let us know if you come up with something that works for your :)

Eta I think it's actually the second to last style in the vid. It's two stacked rope braids

Kat
March 6th, 2019, 07:28 PM
For my dance competitions, I usually do either Heidi braids (flattish, no "knob" in the back, weight distributed around your head rather than in one place, pretty), or a French braid with the length of the braid tucked into the "pocket" formed on the back of my head (this one might not be so comfortable for being on the floor, either, but it is smoother and more contained than a bun, at least, though your hair's thickness may make it a bit more difficult).

These two styles, if properly pinned, hold up to Highland dance (constant jumping up and down), so they should probably hold for you, too.

Kat
March 6th, 2019, 07:33 PM
I was going to suggest double dutch/french braids but cjk beat me to it. I saw a tutorial from silvousplaits where she does two rope braids one on top of the other, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puzgpBoesss (it's the last stle in the video) You could try it with 3 strand braids that might hold up better to rolling around and vigorous dancing or even bun them with pins. The divided weight might be easier on your scalp. Let us know if you come up with something that works for your :)

Eta I think it's actually the second to last style in the vid. It's two stacked rope braids

I love this video!

Strawonaberry
March 6th, 2019, 10:34 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions!

Reyn127 I'm going to try tucking the braid in, but I'm not sure if I can achieve something like that. The ends of my braids are pretty stiff and kind of spiky.

cjk you're right about the sides. It's been a while since I tried with braided pigtails, so I'm gonna give it a go again too. By ballet bun do you mean this kind? https://dancer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/High-Ballet-Bun_For-Web-313x325.jpg I've looked at tutorials for that kind of flat bun but the bobby pins won't hold my hair :(

lunalocks I've actually never seen any spin pins in my country, neither in stores nor owned by people. I never have much success with pins in general, but I'll try out the twist.

Thanks for the video milosmomma :D Coincidentally, I was just experimenting with doing two braids one on top of the other, so I'll see how that goes!

Kat How exactly are heidi braids done? If it's a crown braid then I've tried it before but I don't have the length for it yet. I'll definitely try again when longer.

I have class 2 times a week, so I'll go about with these experiments and update on how it goes :D

Strawonaberry
March 6th, 2019, 10:40 PM
Good for you for doing contemporary dance!!!

Thank you :o I'd wanted to try it almost my whole life, and I was always telling myself nah, I'm too old to start now. And as more time passed the less possible it seemed. I finally broke that cycle at 23 and I'm so glad!

Upside Down
March 7th, 2019, 02:27 AM
Rolling on the floor? I second pigtail braids or even try pigtail ponys (easier to fix during class). They will separate your thickness (envy!) and hair is probably not gonna fall out so much then. When I roll on the floor I find either very high updo or very low will do. Anything in between will get undone because of rolling. Also nothing stays for the whole session without fixing :(

So for you, pigtails are pribably the way to get the very low updo. Maybe you can do two buns instead of one too so you can get it very high up? I saw women do it and it reminds me of mickey mouse ears. I would do them one behind the other because girly stuff does not work on me, but it is an interesting look. I imagine it would take practice to get them symmetrical. I haven't tried rolling in this kind of updo so I can't say for sure.

Kat
March 8th, 2019, 07:33 PM
Kat How exactly are heidi braids done? If it's a crown braid then I've tried it before but I don't have the length for it yet. I'll definitely try again when longer.
D

Looks similar to a crown braid, but rather than the braid being in your hair, you do two regular English braids and wrap them around your head. Pics and info in my album.

Strawonaberry
March 10th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Rolling on the floor? I second pigtail braids or even try pigtail ponys (easier to fix during class). They will separate your thickness (envy!) and hair is probably not gonna fall out so much then. When I roll on the floor I find either very high updo or very low will do. Anything in between will get undone because of rolling. Also nothing stays for the whole session without fixing :(

So for you, pigtails are pribably the way to get the very low updo. Maybe you can do two buns instead of one too so you can get it very high up? I saw women do it and it reminds me of mickey mouse ears. I would do them one behind the other because girly stuff does not work on me, but it is an interesting look. I imagine it would take practice to get them symmetrical. I haven't tried rolling in this kind of updo so I can't say for sure.

I think the mickey mouse thing is called Space buns on the internet :p it's also one of the most painful styles for me for some reason, a lot worse than just 1 high bun. I think low for me is probably best *thumbs up*
Also, I can understand the visual appeal of thick hair, but it's honestly really frustrating for me, and I suspect it's a least partially responsible for my scalps issues...

Looks similar to a crown braid, but rather than the braid being in your hair, you do two regular English braids and wrap them around your head. Pics and info in my album.
I see, I've been wanting to try that style in my daily life for a long time! Unfortunately, I don't have the length yet for the braids to wrap succesfully, but if I manage not to give up and continue to grow my hair I'll definitely do ;) I saw your cute paint tutorial btw, thanks for making that

As an update:
https://i.imgur.com/jbEZ59tm.jpg

This is what I went with to my class the other day. I've found that dutch braids hold better than french for me. My scalp did get a bit sore afterwards, and they got messed up by the end but the braids held during the whole class! :D I didn't have to waste time adjusting my hair, so that's a win.
I'd avoided this hairstyle for some time because it's medium"ly"? painful (though I seem to have improved my technique) and because as I never pull too tight, when seen from the front it looks kind of puffy, like my hair makes my head's diameter noticeably bigger lol. But it doesn't matter too much in this case, and also my bangs seem to conceal the effect somewhat.