PDA

View Full Version : Help for kids

Catnappen
March 5th, 2019, 09:25 PM
My daughter has just turned 10. She has very fine thin hair that breaks really easily. She has decided that she wants to grow out her hair as long as possible (her cousin and step sister both have waist length hair). I want to help her do this but a) she's a kid and her hair is going to get tangled and damaged and b) she has multiple allergies so any products have to be very carefully selected. The one time I tried to do a deep conditioning treatment on her (we did it together, as a bonding thing, did the hair masks and did our nails and watched a movie) she broke out in hives all over her face, neck, and back and we almost ended up in the emergency room.

Does anyone have any tips on helping kids hair grow while also letting kids be kids?

cjk
March 5th, 2019, 09:36 PM
I presume that she has an allergy based on your description.

What product did you use? And has she had a similar reaction to anything similar, since?

milosmomma
March 6th, 2019, 12:54 AM
I don't have any experience with allergies but I do have a DD 11 almost 12 who has been growing her hair for a few years now. She is at about BCL and I would say the most important thing is protective styling. Braid braids braids, my daughter gets sick of braids but for an active child rolling around and wrestling and being rambunctious it works the best. French braids, dutch braids, the only thing is her ends get worn and they are thinner. Like when you look at them up close the actual starnds are tapered and thinner in diametter from being rubbed but the pay off is the length is protected and most importantly tangle free. She has very fine hair to begin with and once it starts tangling it doesn't stop.
Once you have products that work with her allergies I would suggest buying a stash of them because companies randomly change recipes.

Eternal Autumn
March 6th, 2019, 03:48 AM
There are spray-detangers, that work great for kids, I use one myself (bio-formula and doesn't cause allergies), maybe you could try out something like that, and I second protective styling, braids are the best!

Nini
March 6th, 2019, 05:30 AM
Protective updo's, products she's not allergic to and only trim when it's necessary, not when the hairdresser says it's time ;)

I just wash once, and that's just working my scalp while leaving the length more or less alone. I don't bother with conditioner as that weighs it down in a weird way and oiling is so easy to overdo it almost always leave me looking like a greaseball.

And I use a widetooth Madora comb. I've been gifted a couple of Tangle Teazer's, but they just don't work for me. Dumped my paddle brush closer to fifteen years ago and I haven't looked back at all.

In the end it's just hair and if she changes her mind she changes her mind :)

spitfire511
March 6th, 2019, 05:55 AM
So I have a DD11 who has waist-length hair (and has never had shorter than MBL since she was able to grow it... I think this strongly depends on the kiddo.

With super fine hair, I wouldn't be overly worried about a special deep conditioner - leaving usual conditioner on that you like for a longer time should work just fine. So long as you're in a good routine of brushing, washing as needed (which at that age is sometimes a little more than we need to due to them being so active and hormones etc). Braids are great if she'll wear them...

My DD used to always wear braids - but now in middle school doesn't want to anymore. She doesn't want to have long hair if 'she can't enjoy it'. So we let it be. It does get tangled - and we do a big trim once a year to get it in better shape. She also hates the tangle teazer and prefers a regular brush. (basically it's not worth the fight over here and so long as it's not a rats nest - she gets to do with it as she pleases LOL)

I will say that I've never been successful at an updo that's 'protective' with mine - as they don't tend to be really in-style with her age kids (at least around here) and don't stay well through gym and playing with friends (she has Houdini hair).

Good luck with this! We de-tangle and let her be a kid with her long hair... she chooses to keep it and wear it down... especially by this age - it's her hair and I want her to feel like she has to choice of it!

spidergoat
March 6th, 2019, 06:31 AM
Following this thread since I have a DD with waist length hair. She does keep it braided every day, which is good because she has a sensitive scalp and hates getting her hair brushed no matter what brush we use, so the least amount of brushing we can do and still keep her hair looking good is important. Last time she washed her hair she used a moisturizing shampoo and kept a deep conditioner on for a few minutes. That helped a lot with tangles. MO for detangling in general.
Her dandruff had come back, so I'm trying to figure out what to do about that. H&S doesn't really work. We do have Nizoral but haven't tried it yet. She's also at the point of needing more frequent washes, and that's going to be a battle.

ETA: She insists on not cutting her hair. I did talk her into an S&D though.

spitfire511
March 6th, 2019, 06:37 AM
Following this thread since I have a DD with waist length hair. She does keep it braided every day, which is good because she has a sensitive scalp and hates getting her hair brushed no matter what brush we use, so the least amount of brushing we can do and still keep her hair looking good is important. Last time she washed her hair she used a moisturizing shampoo and kept a deep conditioner on for a few minutes. That helped a lot with tangles. MO for detangling in general.
Her dandruff had come back, so I'm trying to figure out what to do about that. H&S doesn't really work. We do have Nizoral but haven't tried it yet. She's also at the point of needing more frequent washes, and that's going to be a battle.

ETA: She insists on not cutting her hair. I did talk her into an S&D though.

Hey spidergoat - have you tried just clarifying every so often? DD can't really use overly moisturizing stuff right now or she gets tons of flakes - but a relatively strong shampoo (Like the suave ones) every week or two seems to help sort of pull the excess oil out a lot. Just not every time.

enting
March 6th, 2019, 06:54 AM
Catnappen, I'd suggest in the future to always do a patch test of anything you want to use for her hair and scalp - just put a bit of it on her inner elbow or forearm and wait to see if it breaks out before using it. Gosh that sounds like bad allergies.

In general, the same rules apply to kids as to adults: keep it protectively styled, don't rip through it with a brush or comb, watch out for what is damaging. If she doesn't want to protectively style, well, I'm with spitfire511 on this - let it be however she enjoys it, as long as she understands that she might get more damage that way.

spidergoat, do you ever use a comb with her rather than a brush, or section her hair to detangle? Could that make a difference to her sensitive scalp?

spidergoat
March 6th, 2019, 09:18 AM
spitfire511 *smacks forehead* I can't believe I didn't think to clarify! We'll do that next time she washes! I would assume that she should still condition from the ears down, like I do when I clarify my own hair?

enting, I do section her hair to detangle, which seems to help a bit. Hadn't thought of using a comb, but I will try that. We are currently using a TT, which she seems to like, but I'm willing to try anything that might help!

Catnappen
March 6th, 2019, 12:58 PM
I presume that she has an allergy based on your description.

What product did you use? And has she had a similar reaction to anything similar, since?

She has lots of allergies. Unfortunately. I checked the ingredients after the incident and the only thing that stood out was possibly coconut. She is allergic to other nuts but coconut never bothered her until that day.

Catnappen
March 6th, 2019, 12:59 PM
I don't have any experience with allergies but I do have a DD 11 almost 12 who has been growing her hair for a few years now. She is at about BCL and I would say the most important thing is protective styling. Braid braids braids, my daughter gets sick of braids but for an active child rolling around and wrestling and being rambunctious it works the best. French braids, dutch braids, the only thing is her ends get worn and they are thinner. Like when you look at them up close the actual starnds are tapered and thinner in diametter from being rubbed but the pay off is the length is protected and most importantly tangle free. She has very fine hair to begin with and once it starts tangling it doesn't stop.
Once you have products that work with her allergies I would suggest buying a stash of them because companies randomly change recipes.

Thanks for the reply. I will give braids a try. She doesn't really like them but recently asked to learn how to do them for herself so hopefully it will get easier to convince her.