PDA

View Full Version : Hair vs Nails

Catnappen
March 4th, 2019, 02:28 PM
I have always struggled with my nails. They are very thin, very fragile and tend to break very easily. Since I have decided to grow out my hair I've noticed that my hair is exactly the same. Very fine, fragile, and no matter what I do I am getting tons of breakage and split ends.

But... Long ago I figured out a few things that really helped my nails grow if I want to grow them out for a special occasion. I start about a month ahead of time and then I do a weekly soak with warm oil, every night I coat them with bag balm and massage them 3x daily with oil. After I get some reasonable level of growth (usually a week) I start putting nail polish on them and within a month they are looking pretty nice.

So I'm thinking this might also work with my hair but I'm not sure how to translate this into hair related products. Any ideas? Or anyone else have nail issues that mimic their hair issues?

blackgothicdoll
March 4th, 2019, 02:32 PM
My nails tell me when my diet is bad or when it is too dry outside. It takes me a lot longer to notice with my hair, but once I notice it is too late (tons of shedding). Fruits and vegetables and lots of them make my nails harden up, I've never done a nail treatment as you describe before.

However, I do use warm oil on my hair and scalp before I wash. Check out the heavy oiling threads.

I'm not sure what bag balm is.

Catnappen
March 4th, 2019, 02:37 PM
My nails tell me when my diet is bad or when it is too dry outside. It takes me a lot longer to notice with my hair, but once I notice it is too late (tons of shedding). Fruits and vegetables and lots of them make my nails harden up, I've never done a nail treatment as you describe before.

However, I do use warm oil on my hair and scalp before I wash. Check out the heavy oiling threads.

I'm not sure what bag balm is.

Thanks for the reply. Nothing makes my nails harder! I've tried everything. But thanks for the advice on diet, I'll try seeing if adding more vegetables helps. Bag Balm is a thick lanolin based moisturizer. It stinks but it works every time. :) I will look for those heavy oil threads. Thanks!

Dark40
March 4th, 2019, 02:45 PM
Oh yeah, I also have issues between my hair and nails being brittle too, and both my hair and nails do tell me if my diet is poor of certain nutrients that they need in order for them to grow strong. Lately, I've been taking hair, skin, and nails vitamin supplements, and I've been taking them off and on for 2 years now. They've been helping me with hair growth and how hard my nails are. Now lately, I've been back on the bandwagon for only 10 days but with the same kind of vitamins I've been taking off an on I have seen a difference in how hair I was shedding and the shine that the vitamins gives my hair. I've noticed that every time I get off taking the vitamins my hair goes right back to more shedding again, and my nails goes right back to brittleness and breakage again.

Eternal Autumn
March 4th, 2019, 02:55 PM
Are you by any chance on birth control pills? They have such side effects on nails, make them fragile, thin and prone to breakage. I always had really strong nails but 8 years on BC totally changed them to the point that I couldn't recognise them any more and couldn't grow them at all, always had to cut them as short as possible and even then they kept breaking. After I stopped BC it slowly returned to normal. Just a thought.

TreesOfEternity
March 4th, 2019, 03:06 PM
For me a multivitamin helps a lot as well. My biggest problem is stress: it ruins my hair and nails. So apart from eating as well as you can and finding ways to relieve stress, I would translate your routine to hair care simply by handling it with care, giving it some time every day to detangle gently, moisturizing it and keeping it protected.

MusicalSpoons
March 4th, 2019, 04:16 PM
My nails are prone to peeling; they're not terrible but they grow incredibly slowly and by the time they're just peeking over the edge of my finger they need cutting to get rid of the peeling. I don't moisturise as much as I used to though so I guess that doesn't help. I've been taking vitamin supplements for years now (levels of the really useful ones are 'normal' but in the low end of the range) and added in silica and spirulina a few months ago. Not long enough to see change to my nails though :rolleyes:

My hair has a fair amount of splits throughout and I have some patches of 'diva hair' around my hairline that just crumble and don't grow beyond shoulder length, so yeah I guess you could say my hair kind of mirrors my nails a bit. It's a lot more protected than my nails though, up in a bun all the time! (Not that I do any work with my hands really, no energy due to chronic illness - and actually my diet isn't the best precisely because of not having the energy to even make healthy snacks, which is partly why I've stuck with vitamins in an attempt not to totally neglect my body.)

Massaging your nails/cuticles would have its hair equivalent in scalp massages, which you can do with or without oils :)

How do you wear your hair in the daytime, and at night? If it's fragile it needs to be contained and protected to help minimise damage and breakage. Making sure you have enough moisture and protein will help retain length too. Your hairtype will likely have a bearing on whether that just means using a heavy enough conditioner or if you need to use leave-ins too, and how often you need to condition the lengths. How long your hair is also is a factor; longer hair = older hair and if it's naturally delicate it probably needs a bit more pampering than shorter hair.

More info about your hair and current routine will help us give advice :)

Haven
March 4th, 2019, 04:17 PM
My nails break easily except when I have them painted (the layer of polish adds to the thickness and strength)... I wish there was an equivalent of clear nail polish for hair!
So far the only trick that visibly works for me is just keeping them out of harm's way, which I suppose would translate to keeping your hair in an updo.

Ylva
March 4th, 2019, 04:32 PM
I don't know if it's an issue, but one similarity between my hair and nails are that they are both very soft. My nails are prone to peeling, but my hair, in its healthy form, isn't especially prone to damage, I think.

AmaryllisRed
March 4th, 2019, 10:10 PM
I don't have hair breakage issues, but oh my goodness my nails are so weak. They break all the time. The ONLY thing that strengthens them is vitamins. My diet isn't great so it's probably related to that.

Catnappen
March 4th, 2019, 10:23 PM
My nails are prone to peeling; they're not terrible but they grow incredibly slowly and by the time they're just peeking over the edge of my finger they need cutting to get rid of the peeling. I don't moisturise as much as I used to though so I guess that doesn't help. I've been taking vitamin supplements for years now (levels of the really useful ones are 'normal' but in the low end of the range) and added in silica and spirulina a few months ago. Not long enough to see change to my nails though :rolleyes:

My hair has a fair amount of splits throughout and I have some patches of 'diva hair' around my hairline that just crumble and don't grow beyond shoulder length, so yeah I guess you could say my hair kind of mirrors my nails a bit. It's a lot more protected than my nails though, up in a bun all the time! (Not that I do any work with my hands really, no energy due to chronic illness - and actually my diet isn't the best precisely because of not having the energy to even make healthy snacks, which is partly why I've stuck with vitamins in an attempt not to totally neglect my body.)

Massaging your nails/cuticles would have its hair equivalent in scalp massages, which you can do with or without oils :)

How do you wear your hair in the daytime, and at night? If it's fragile it needs to be contained and protected to help minimise damage and breakage. Making sure you have enough moisture and protein will help retain length too. Your hairtype will likely have a bearing on whether that just means using a heavy enough conditioner or if you need to use leave-ins too, and how often you need to condition the lengths. How long your hair is also is a factor; longer hair = older hair and if it's naturally delicate it probably needs a bit more pampering than shorter hair.

More info about your hair and current routine will help us give advice :)

Thanks for the reply. My hair right now is somewhere between armpit and bra strap. It is very fine, average density, and between a 2a and 2c in curl. I followed the curly girl method for a while but honestly got just as much breakage/split ends doing that as when I flat ironed every other day. For the last month or so I have been putting it up in a bun every day but I'm still getting LOTS of splits. I also have LOTS of baby hairs around my face that are about 2-5 inches long and they never seem to get any longer. I'm trying to find a way to add moisture without causing greasiness because my hair will get greasy very easily with very small amounts of product. I use a wet brush or wide tooth comb to detangle because when I use my fingers I yank out WAY more hair. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cate36
March 4th, 2019, 10:27 PM
Not read all the replies, but both feed on the same nutrients and I find they are completely connected. I have v strong nails, but CRAZY strong since taking quality hair skin and nail supplements.. so give it a go? My nails are so long, rarely break, and I paint them all the time...

Catnappen
March 5th, 2019, 12:07 AM
Not read all the replies, but both feed on the same nutrients and I find they are completely connected. I have v strong nails, but CRAZY strong since taking quality hair skin and nail supplements.. so give it a go? My nails are so long, rarely break, and I paint them all the time...

Thanks, I will give it a try. Do you have any brands you recommend?

LadyCelestina
March 5th, 2019, 12:49 AM
My nails suck. They peel and split and break. They grow extremely quickly, but the growth is no good.

That being said, I don't treat them very well.

I would love to grow them long, but my nails don't really grow close to the nailbed and all kinds of stuff gets under them, making them really unhygienic. I've read that not scrubbing under them with anything helps them adhere better...

And my hair is pretty decent I think, as long as I leave it alone re: colour or texture changes.

enting
March 5th, 2019, 01:28 PM
Nail and hair health can definitely come along with each other (they don't always both have to have issues, but many times they do). Both depend on you getting enough and of the right nutrients. They can also be affected by any chronic health issues one might have.

I'm thinking that products with silicones in them might function similarly on hair as polish on nails, but I could be wrong. Maybe protein heavy products would be more similar? Using oils and balms on hair sounds like a good idea to me.

Otherwise, like others have said, keep your hair in protective styles and try to minimize damage.

spitfire511
March 6th, 2019, 07:09 AM
I also have nails that love to peel - a few things that work for me... (and some translate to hair.) (LOOK - I wrote an essay - don't know why- but maybe it's helpful at all!)

For both:
VITAMINS - I've noticed a huge difference since I just started taking a good multi vitamin regularly - and I don't even remember every day - just several times a week. It truly does help. Diet makes a difference too - cutting back on junk and giving my body real food improves everything from my skin, hair, nails, mood etc. and drink your water. We moisturize our whole body from the outside in - and the hair you're growing now will thank you.

for nails:
**an oil or heavy cream/salve/ointment (I love Burts Bees lemon butter) EVERY night. Massage cuticles for 30 seconds EACH.
** file only - NEVER trim. file when painted and never on hair washing day (part of peeling is moisture getting between the layers of your nails).
** When filing, if they're peeling, use a very fine grit file and file that peel off - then keep them painted. The peel will grow out if you stop it before it can travel too far.
** I keep mine painted most of the time - Essie's new Treat, Love & Color line lasts a long time on me - doesn't need a top coat (though it's not super shiny) and helps with health. OPI's nail envy is a godsend for when they're really bad - however it yellows them a lot which I don't like. Essie's doesn't do that.
** If your hands are going to be in chemicals (like bathroom cleaning) or even submerged in water a long time - I tend to wear gloves when possible. Cleaning will kill all my hard work on them in a minute.

I work two nights a week at a horse barn hauling hay, filling waters, moving horses etc, and type all day every day - and these are my nails today (they're actually in pretty good shape right now minus the couple that broke recently while cleaning!!)

https://i.imgur.com/wGgXJi7l.jpg?1

Hair:
So I don't have quite the greasiness problem you do - though I do have the baby hairs and splits. Relatively recent length shot is in my signature.

** So 'how' I wash matters. I wash probably 3 times a week with a clarifying wash once per week. But I read an article recently how many of us aren't taking the time we should when we wash. So I wet my hair and spend probably a minute (and count it out - it's longer than it feels like) gently massaging my scalp and really letting the water penetrate. (scalp massages generally as musicalspoons suggest are amazing - blood flow to your scalp is a GOOD thing! )Then I use very little shampoo. Many of us have a tendency to use WAY too much product on our hair. Use just enough to cleanse (and don't do anything more than press it through the length - if you even need to do that - I really only do that with my clarifying wash because I use cones.) Again - really take your time and then rinse very well- another minute. Condition in the same way. Lots of rinsing.

** The ROO thread (Rinse Out Oil) has also been game changer for me - it keeps some moisture in there while letting me rinse most of it out so it doesn't get too oily.

** Do a strand test - see if you might need protein again as musicalspoons mentioned. I did BIG time and had no idea. If you need protein, your hair cannot retain up the moisture you're giving it. Though I am still getting splits (because damage from sun for me - or when you were flat-ironing is still there - splits are going to happen until you've grown ALL of that hair out) the hairs themselves are stronger and they are fewer.

** S&D some - but not too often. You definitely fairytale more when you S&D. Which leads me to micro-trimming (1/4" or less with Feye's self trim method) because I like a heavier hemline - even with my layers.

** No heat - I sometimes cool (read cold - no heat) blow dry just to help move things along - but if your hair is very fragile (like some of my canopy is) the less you can do this the better - you can get mechanical damage from the tangles that can happen when you're blowing your hair around - especially if you have snaggy splits. The more I can let it air dry the better I do. (I also take mine and gently twist each side of it into big barrel curls and keep it that way while dries - re-twisting as needed - to smooth it and give the ends a little curl.)

** Use cones if you need them - and lots of times those of us with splits do - biosilk makes a lite serum that groovygranny really likes for her hair - I use the regular one - but a TINY amount - that might be part of the product problem... on my almost WL hair I use about as much as a pencil eraser. And my hair doesn't prefer it when it's damp. I use it after it's dry. (Dunno why this works best for me- it just does.)

Keep doing what you're doing. Oftentimes once you've done some trouble-shooting and know you are doing things that are good for your hair, the biggest favor you can do it is benign neglect - learn new updos and let it grow more. Give it a break from experimenting. Trim a tiny amount and try to be patient. Remember that we have th grow through all the things we were doing with our hair - and while a new method or treatment can be helpful - nothing can undo the damage we've done.

If you've got the time - I love this article Nightshade wrote (http://web.archive.org/web/20120122064345/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) about how she worked with and grew her damaged hair (she also has some amazing salves etc on Etsy under Nightblooming).

Hairkay
March 6th, 2019, 12:27 PM
I keep my nails trimmed short. If there is more than 1mm growth then I will trim them. It makes maintenance simple. Sometimes I have to use steroid cream for my eczema and that can affect my nails. Eczema too may have an effect on my nails. It weakens them or makes them more likely to peel or even dimple in my flare-ups. It is very rare that I even use nail polish or such product due to allergy problems.

My hair may grow as long as it can but nails will always be short.

blackgothicdoll
March 6th, 2019, 12:33 PM
I keep my nails trimmed short. If there is more than 1mm growth then I will trim them. It makes maintenance simple. Sometimes I have to use steroid cream for my eczema and that can affect my nails. Eczema too may have an effect on my nails. It weakens them or makes them more likely to peel or even dimple in my flare-ups. It is very rare that I even use nail polish or such product due to allergy problems.

My hair may grow as long as it can but nails will always be short.

I never knew eczema effected nails - I have eczema as well that gets pretty bad. I'm not sure what dimpling is, but my nails curve or grow uneven/crooked. I thought it was from anemia but iron infusions haven't fixed it. Hmm.

enting
March 6th, 2019, 01:15 PM
I knew that psoriasis can affect nails. I also didn't know about eczema affecting nails.

Hairkay
March 6th, 2019, 02:59 PM
I never knew eczema effected nails - I have eczema as well that gets pretty bad. I'm not sure what dimpling is, but my nails curve or grow uneven/crooked. I thought it was from anemia but iron infusions haven't fixed it. Hmm.

I knew that psoriasis can affect nails. I also didn't know about eczema affecting nails.

If you have eczema on your hands it is possible. The worst time I had was in my teens. My eczema got infected and the doctors said they might have to remove my thumb nail. I went home and took a nail clipper and eased it around the most infected swollen bit just to avoid the doctors. I couldn't hold a pen to write for a week because all my fingers were so sore.

enting
March 6th, 2019, 04:27 PM
If you have eczema on your hands it is possible. The worst time I had was in my teens. My eczema got infected and the doctors said they might have to remove my thumb nail. I went home and took a nail clipper and eased it around the most infected swollen bit just to avoid the doctors. I couldn't hold a pen to write for a week because all my fingers were so sore.

Oh it totally makes sense, I just hadn't thought about it/heard about it before.
Ouch, that sounds really painful :( I'm glad they didn't remove your nail and that (I assume) you healed up all right.

frostedeyes
March 6th, 2019, 07:14 PM
I find my nails grow quickly in the summer, but not as fast in the wintertime. Strange.

As for my hair, I’ve been told my hair growth is higher than average.

Catnappen
March 6th, 2019, 10:08 PM
I also have nails that love to peel - a few things that work for me... (and some translate to hair.) (LOOK - I wrote an essay - don't know why- but maybe it's helpful at all!)

For both:
VITAMINS - I've noticed a huge difference since I just started taking a good multi vitamin regularly - and I don't even remember every day - just several times a week. It truly does help. Diet makes a difference too - cutting back on junk and giving my body real food improves everything from my skin, hair, nails, mood etc. and drink your water. We moisturize our whole body from the outside in - and the hair you're growing now will thank you.

for nails:
**an oil or heavy cream/salve/ointment (I love Burts Bees lemon butter) EVERY night. Massage cuticles for 30 seconds EACH.
** file only - NEVER trim. file when painted and never on hair washing day (part of peeling is moisture getting between the layers of your nails).
** When filing, if they're peeling, use a very fine grit file and file that peel off - then keep them painted. The peel will grow out if you stop it before it can travel too far.
** I keep mine painted most of the time - Essie's new Treat, Love & Color line lasts a long time on me - doesn't need a top coat (though it's not super shiny) and helps with health. OPI's nail envy is a godsend for when they're really bad - however it yellows them a lot which I don't like. Essie's doesn't do that.
** If your hands are going to be in chemicals (like bathroom cleaning) or even submerged in water a long time - I tend to wear gloves when possible. Cleaning will kill all my hard work on them in a minute.

I work two nights a week at a horse barn hauling hay, filling waters, moving horses etc, and type all day every day - and these are my nails today (they're actually in pretty good shape right now minus the couple that broke recently while cleaning!!)

https://i.imgur.com/wGgXJi7l.jpg?1

Hair:
So I don't have quite the greasiness problem you do - though I do have the baby hairs and splits. Relatively recent length shot is in my signature.

** So 'how' I wash matters. I wash probably 3 times a week with a clarifying wash once per week. But I read an article recently how many of us aren't taking the time we should when we wash. So I wet my hair and spend probably a minute (and count it out - it's longer than it feels like) gently massaging my scalp and really letting the water penetrate. (scalp massages generally as musicalspoons suggest are amazing - blood flow to your scalp is a GOOD thing! )Then I use very little shampoo. Many of us have a tendency to use WAY too much product on our hair. Use just enough to cleanse (and don't do anything more than press it through the length - if you even need to do that - I really only do that with my clarifying wash because I use cones.) Again - really take your time and then rinse very well- another minute. Condition in the same way. Lots of rinsing.

** The ROO thread (Rinse Out Oil) has also been game changer for me - it keeps some moisture in there while letting me rinse most of it out so it doesn't get too oily.

** Do a strand test - see if you might need protein again as musicalspoons mentioned. I did BIG time and had no idea. If you need protein, your hair cannot retain up the moisture you're giving it. Though I am still getting splits (because damage from sun for me - or when you were flat-ironing is still there - splits are going to happen until you've grown ALL of that hair out) the hairs themselves are stronger and they are fewer.

** S&D some - but not too often. You definitely fairytale more when you S&D. Which leads me to micro-trimming (1/4" or less with Feye's self trim method) because I like a heavier hemline - even with my layers.

** No heat - I sometimes cool (read cold - no heat) blow dry just to help move things along - but if your hair is very fragile (like some of my canopy is) the less you can do this the better - you can get mechanical damage from the tangles that can happen when you're blowing your hair around - especially if you have snaggy splits. The more I can let it air dry the better I do. (I also take mine and gently twist each side of it into big barrel curls and keep it that way while dries - re-twisting as needed - to smooth it and give the ends a little curl.)

** Use cones if you need them - and lots of times those of us with splits do - biosilk makes a lite serum that groovygranny really likes for her hair - I use the regular one - but a TINY amount - that might be part of the product problem... on my almost WL hair I use about as much as a pencil eraser. And my hair doesn't prefer it when it's damp. I use it after it's dry. (Dunno why this works best for me- it just does.)

Keep doing what you're doing. Oftentimes once you've done some trouble-shooting and know you are doing things that are good for your hair, the biggest favor you can do it is benign neglect - learn new updos and let it grow more. Give it a break from experimenting. Trim a tiny amount and try to be patient. Remember that we have th grow through all the things we were doing with our hair - and while a new method or treatment can be helpful - nothing can undo the damage we've done.

If you've got the time - I love this article Nightshade wrote (http://web.archive.org/web/20120122064345/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) about how she worked with and grew her damaged hair (she also has some amazing salves etc on Etsy under Nightblooming).

Thanks for the reply and the article. I gave up cones when I started trying the curly girl method but I'm thinking I might want to go back. I feel like I have just as many splits and problems now as I did using regular shampoo and conditioner.

I have started S&D but I have a bit of a problem-I have this horrible habit of searching out split ends and then yanking them off. I've done this since I was a teenager. It's super soothing and I really love the little "pop" that happens when the hair breaks. I have mostly stopped doing that but S&D makes me want to do that.

I do want to try a micro trim. I think I really really need it. I want to do the self trim method because I haven't really had much luck with regular hair dressers. Ever. My hair is generally too thin and fine and they always want to give me layers (which end up looking choppy and weird and DON'T give me volume, I don't care what they say it will do) or they cut off 2 inches and I still have splits.

Carolyn
March 7th, 2019, 07:11 AM
Bag Balm was used on cows udders. I discovered it years ago when I was doing a lot of hand quilting. When you are hand quilting you constantly prick your finger on the hand that is beneath the quilt. It gets very sore and bag balm works wonders. It's available at Walmart and other places in a green tin. It's also advertised for cracked heels and the like.

I take the WF hair skin and nails supplement and I swear it helps my hair. I also make sure I eat plenty of protein.

spitfire511
March 7th, 2019, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the reply and the article. I gave up cones when I started trying the curly girl method but I'm thinking I might want to go back. I feel like I have just as many splits and problems now as I did using regular shampoo and conditioner.

I have started S&D but I have a bit of a problem-I have this horrible habit of searching out split ends and then yanking them off. I've done this since I was a teenager. It's super soothing and I really love the little "pop" that happens when the hair breaks. I have mostly stopped doing that but S&D makes me want to do that.

I do want to try a micro trim. I think I really really need it. I want to do the self trim method because I haven't really had much luck with regular hair dressers. Ever. My hair is generally too thin and fine and they always want to give me layers (which end up looking choppy and weird and DON'T give me volume, I don't care what they say it will do) or they cut off 2 inches and I still have splits.

OH I am with you on the hair picking! (I've actually started taking a supplement to help with that and trying to break that habit - because it's SO bad and an impulsive thing for me.)

Do try Feye's self trim (link in case you don't already have it (https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com)). I think the bulk of us do the U-shaped trim - that's what I do - but all three of them work very well! You can take off the tiniest amount and it's amazing if you need that 'fresh ends' feel. That's part of nightshade's article - that until you can really get rid of the damage - routine microtrimming may be key. And then you can grow (even if it's a little more slowly because of trimming) and feel better about it.

Just don't get completely discouraged by the splits (easier said than done) - until you have grown out all the hair that was ever flat ironed (likely years of growing at .5" per month right?) you'll have this happen - at least part of what we're seeing is what happened in the past that has nothing to do with what you're doing for your hair now). And most everyone still gets occasional splits (or even more if you just have fragile hair - I have some like that I will just always have to baby).

Keep at it!! :D

Nightshade
March 8th, 2019, 08:38 AM
Aye trimming out that damage took FOREVER, but the only thing that let me cut as little as I did was that I did it so often. The ends would get snarly again in a couple weeks, so I'd take 1/4 inch off. They'd tangle less, snag less, break less. I'd have to do it again in 4 weeks, but eventually 4 weeks became 5, became 6, became 8, and I was keeping more of my hair, and the reduction in tangles and breakage both let me keep bonus length I would have trimmmed and stayed nicer longer.

Hairkay
March 8th, 2019, 01:51 PM
Oh it totally makes sense, I just hadn't thought about it/heard about it before.
Ouch, that sounds really painful :( I'm glad they didn't remove your nail and that (I assume) you healed up all right.

Yes sometimes eczema is painful and the worst is if it gets infected. It's why I am so particular to keep up my skincare regimen now. I never want to be like that ever again.

Catnappen
March 8th, 2019, 09:22 PM
OH I am with you on the hair picking! (I've actually started taking a supplement to help with that and trying to break that habit - because it's SO bad and an impulsive thing for me.)

Do try Feye's self trim (link in case you don't already have it (https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com)). I think the bulk of us do the U-shaped trim - that's what I do - but all three of them work very well! You can take off the tiniest amount and it's amazing if you need that 'fresh ends' feel. That's part of nightshade's article - that until you can really get rid of the damage - routine microtrimming may be key. And then you can grow (even if it's a little more slowly because of trimming) and feel better about it.

Just don't get completely discouraged by the splits (easier said than done) - until you have grown out all the hair that was ever flat ironed (likely years of growing at .5" per month right?) you'll have this happen - at least part of what we're seeing is what happened in the past that has nothing to do with what you're doing for your hair now). And most everyone still gets occasional splits (or even more if you just have fragile hair - I have some like that I will just always have to baby).

Keep at it!! :D

Thanks for the link!! I'm definitely going to try this. This is going to be a REALLY long process, but I guess this is how I have to do it.

Catnappen
March 8th, 2019, 09:23 PM
Aye trimming out that damage took FOREVER, but the only thing that let me cut as little as I did was that I did it so often. The ends would get snarly again in a couple weeks, so I'd take 1/4 inch off. They'd tangle less, snag less, break less. I'd have to do it again in 4 weeks, but eventually 4 weeks became 5, became 6, became 8, and I was keeping more of my hair, and the reduction in tangles and breakage both let me keep bonus length I would have trimmmed and stayed nicer longer.

Yeah, I'm noticing that my ends are super tangly! And rough feeling. That's probably the damage I have to grow out. Ugh.