PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hair got me all Ahhhhhhh

Blaithin
March 2nd, 2019, 01:00 PM
I've been having increasingly more sinister thoughts of chopping my hair off. I don't think it's ever been as long as it is now, well past BSL and on to waist direction. BUT I CAN'T STAND THE STATIC!!

I know it's a winter thing. I deal with it every year. But I'm ready for winter to be over for a multitude of reasons, and this is just another one :laugh:

The hair styling oil stuff I used previous years, while still nice, just doesn't seem to be doing the job it did before. The last few days I've been doing a drop of Castor oil rubbed from about my ears down. Normally I only focus on the ends so I don't my love to be oily roots extra greasy, but the static around my face is killing me! I'm using Castor oil because that's what I had sitting on the shelf. So far it seems to be doing an alright job, it's keeping the static down but it does make my hair feel a little bit heavy. It hasn't made anything feel greasy though which is a plus.

So I'm just wondering what other oils people might use besides Castor. I do need to pick up some more almond oil and as I'm typing this I'm remembering a dandelion salve I made this summer but that's with beeswax and olive oil... it'll probably be too greasy for my hair. What is everyones go to static busting oils? :D

lithostoic
March 2nd, 2019, 01:01 PM
I just keep my hair braided lmao.

Blaithin
March 2nd, 2019, 01:05 PM
I just keep my hair braided lmao.

It is usually braided, especially at work. Just the stuff around my face that becomes free floating flyways that seem to love my eyes and mouth. Blame it on the toque Lol

Groovy Granny
March 2nd, 2019, 01:39 PM
I have that problem, especially now that my silver/white is very fine and wispy.

I use Biosilk Lite Serum AM/PM before and after my sleep braids and that helps tremendously.

Today my crown growth was making me crazy so I used a wee bit of Garnier Texture Paste worked through my crown...and it worked.

Rosewater and Glycerin spritzes also work great for me.

My oils are rose blends with mineral (baby) oil bases and when using oils for static, it sometimes helps to mist your hair very lightly with water and then apply the oil.
I also bun my hair for a short while after an oil or serum;that cuts the static and gives a nice texture/wave.

Styling is usually in a ponytail, bun, or half up with hair from my ears up, so it is all hanging in the back.
In fact that is becoming my 'go to style list' now, because my hair is so wispy I cannot have it hanging down and near my face/over my shoulders in the front.

But don't cut it :tmi:
This will pass ...and you will find your holy grail routine :cheer:

Zorya
March 2nd, 2019, 01:42 PM
I use Marula oil, which from some retailers (like The Ordinary) can be really inexpensive. I'm also deep-conditioning more often to try and combat the dryness from the cold and the heating.

Begemot
March 2nd, 2019, 01:47 PM
My hair likes most oils, coconut oil not so much. I believe jojoba and grape seed oils are considered light, so those would work for static hair. The biggest thing keeping my hair non static is sulfate-free shampoo. Also using plastic brush as little as possible and using aloe vera gel or hair cream to keep flyaways down.

I can't wait for this winter to be over already. Static hair, up-dos that won't stay all day and/or that aren't suitable for all situations, hair rubbing against scarves, coats and hats, crinkled strands, dry scalp, have to make sure hair is 110% dry before going outside, hair growth is probably slower compared to summer... Can't even remember how easy hair care and life can be when weather gets warmer :sun:

school of fish
March 2nd, 2019, 02:15 PM
I've found that the oil rinse method has helped me with winter static - I'm in Canada too so I do understand the brittle dry air we can get this time of year... as well as the over-winter-already state of mind that is March ;)

My hair won't tolerate oils otherwise, but the rinse out method of applying a few drops of oil between shampooing and conditioning takes the edge off the static for me without tripping my hair's happy balance :)

lapushka
March 2nd, 2019, 02:25 PM
I've been having increasingly more sinister thoughts of chopping my hair off. I don't think it's ever been as long as it is now, well past BSL and on to waist direction. BUT I CAN'T STAND THE STATIC!!

I know it's a winter thing. I deal with it every year. But I'm ready for winter to be over for a multitude of reasons, and this is just another one :laugh:

The hair styling oil stuff I used previous years, while still nice, just doesn't seem to be doing the job it did before. The last few days I've been doing a drop of Castor oil rubbed from about my ears down. Normally I only focus on the ends so I don't my love to be oily roots extra greasy, but the static around my face is killing me! I'm using Castor oil because that's what I had sitting on the shelf. So far it seems to be doing an alright job, it's keeping the static down but it does make my hair feel a little bit heavy. It hasn't made anything feel greasy though which is a plus.

So I'm just wondering what other oils people might use besides Castor. I do need to pick up some more almond oil and as I'm typing this I'm remembering a dandelion salve I made this summer but that's with beeswax and olive oil... it'll probably be too greasy for my hair. What is everyones go to static busting oils? :D

I don't get static at all, anymore. I *do* moisturize my hair a TON! No joke.

I condition or mask twice after washing my hair, and then I use the LOC/LCO method for styling (so another leave in or curl cream and a serum + a gel for hold).

I would try upping your moisture game, see what that does.

You could try, to start out, the CWC method for washing the hair. There's an entire thread on this method. If you need more information, just ask!

Oils are probably not going to solve the static. That is just MHO!

Blaithin
March 2nd, 2019, 03:01 PM
Thank you ladies :)

I guess I should say what I'm doing to my hair! I wash it twice a week. Generally I'm a read in the bath type of person so most instances I put conditioner in from about my chin down and stick it all under a shower cap for however long I read for. Then when I have the finish shower I just shampoo the roots and rinse everything out. It definitely wouldn't be hard to stick a second conditioner in after the shampoo! I probably have some old bottles of not my favourite conditioner's that I could use up this way Hah The shampoo I've been using for a while is Redken but I don't have a clue if it's sulfate free or not. I'll have to take a look.

I use a boar bristle paddle brush to try and help bring the oils from my over productive scalp down. It usually works ok, just not in the super duper winter dry. The products I have right now are more styling oils than serums so I'll probably keep my eye out for more of a serum type product. I want to say once upon a time I bought jojoba oil too.... I'll have to hunt that down if I did, thanks for reminding me Begemot! I think I have a leave in conditioner somewhere that a friend gave me too.

Honestly I have one of those cupboards full of all sorts of odds and ends. Plus it's next to my livestock veterinary supply cupboard and they tend to overlap when it comes to oils and herbs and essential oils... LOL

For styling, at work it's always in a braid with a bandana over the top. At home it's usually a pony tail or just twisted up in a bun. When I go out to do chores I usually braid it, otherwise it works it's way up out of the scarf and ends up floating around in the freezing temperatures. While white frosty hair makes for neat photos every now and then, I feel like I'm torturing the poor stuff if I do that to it too often! I do like half up do's but those just don't seem to work in winter, by the time I get anywhere I feel like medusa.

Thanks Lapushka, I will definitely test out the LOC method as well.

And I will make a note to try out some spritzes and aloe vera gel if things still seem a bit electrified!

Obsidian
March 2nd, 2019, 04:52 PM
I've used dryer sheets, lightly run over length.

Blaithin
March 7th, 2019, 11:04 AM
Ok so we do have progress.

March 3 was a wash day so armed with your suggestions, when I did my Sunday shop I looked for a leave-in and a serum. The serum isn't really much different than my styling oils so I might interchange them based on what smell I feel like smelling. The one I purchased Sunday has more of a... well I call it chemically smell. It's not a floral scent like I prefer. I also picked up another conditioner that's silicone free. Sunday I did CWC and then the LO bit of LOC. For Monday - Wednesday I also did the LO prior to doing my hair for the day. Additionally I made a batch of lavender water for spritzing my roots down as I was still getting a bit of static from the ears up.

All in all I'd say it was fairly successful. Static was probably cut down by 98% which is a win! Although I wasn't in the super dry bit of work like I can be, so that will be the big test next week. The spritz seemed to work well on my roots however felt like it was causing a bit of build up. Might have to dilute the water more.

Last night was another wash night. I went out on an experimental limb and put some castor oil on my scalp and with my first C, then did a good WC after. This morning all seems good, no oily feeling residue, not ends trying to reach up at my face like a creature from the black lagoon. Still that bit of static from the ears up, pretty much the line where I stop applying C for worry of my roots. Hopefully if I can get the spritz working properly that'll fix that.

So thanks again everyone! I'm now on to learning how to use sticks and forks which seems like it may be a fledgling addiction. So far I've managed a disc bun and a nautilus bun. Here's to my bun game being on point by the time summer actually gets here and I don't have to wear toques anymore!

Blaithin
March 7th, 2019, 11:44 AM
And a picture of it from this morning.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/53283396_10156832080590664_6592317106170101760_n.j pg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_eui2=AeEVV9RCpsuRnWAUQDKQ-GS9DLpOyUXnMCjae0u0wcUQvimwff3VjxYWRPuFoOEoNf99WUG VxrBj7w6GgnzjPyMOtTtmFEdyWVSbXZYjGmQ-Kw&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.xx&oh=fca6e0a73c6c5154c353db1f5b0f166c&oe=5D1772F0

Begemot
March 7th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Nice to hear you managed to cut down the static so much already, your hair is super pretty! :blossom:

Blaithin
March 7th, 2019, 12:09 PM
Nice to hear you managed to cut down the static so much already, your hair is super pretty! :blossom:

Thank you :)

itskate
March 7th, 2019, 09:34 PM
I don't have any real tips to share or anything, I was just lurking on threads and wanted to tell you that your hair looks great!! And I love your series of chicken illustrations on the wall there.

(My hair is much shorter, but my main static busting technique is literally just to be applying lotion several times an hour, haha. I find that if I have dry skin my hair gets more static-y as well. But I also have been wearing it up 90% of the time this winter)

Blaithin
March 8th, 2019, 09:07 AM
I don't have any real tips to share or anything, I was just lurking on threads and wanted to tell you that your hair looks great!! And I love your series of chicken illustrations on the wall there.

(My hair is much shorter, but my main static busting technique is literally just to be applying lotion several times an hour, haha. I find that if I have dry skin my hair gets more static-y as well. But I also have been wearing it up 90% of the time this winter)
Thank you itskate :) I have many chicken things, I love my chickens! And cows... but it's harder to find cow things...

I definitely notice more static the more I touch my hair. It's an unfair issue, the more you touch hair up near the roots, the oilier it seems to get; The more you touch the length, the drier and more staticy it gets! So just don't touch it... But... But I like it nice and soft so then you just want to touch it! :shrug: I have definitely been so desperate at work that I've put hand lotion on it Lol The LCO method seems to have really, really helped quickly though.

spitfire511
March 8th, 2019, 02:11 PM
Hi Blaithin! Just jumping in too to say that the ROO method (in lapushka's signature) Helps me with this too! We've had record rainfall here this year and I was still combating static - which didn't even seem to make sense!! LOVE your color - your hair looks lovely!

(and if you can't tell those are chickens on my back in my avatar :lol: alas I cannot claim them - they live at the horse barn where I work a few evenings a week)

SimplySmile
March 11th, 2019, 01:13 PM
Oh the static is real!!!

I used to wash my hair twice a week but I have had to adjust because it does not seem to be as staticy the more oily it is. I just make sure to keep a healthy dose of oil on my ends and that seems to help. When all else fails in a bun it goes.

Spring come on!!!

:thud:

Blaithin
March 11th, 2019, 05:17 PM
Thank you Spitfire! There's just something about chickens. Especially if they'll sit on your shoulder and play in your hair :crush:

Yes, Simply Smile, static in winter is just ridonkulous. There's a Chinook here now and all it's doing is sucking moisture out of my hair and making me look like some demented person with hair waving everywhere. I've never had good luck getting oily scalp much farther than to my ears. As oily as my scalp can get, I guess I just have too much hair, and usually the oily scalp gets to be itchy scalp and so I wash. The most I tend to stretch it is 4 days, unless I'm being a real hermit :lol: I'm really enjoying the disc bun though.

I found a promising looking line that's new at my local WalMart. Too many options to pick from but I managed to find a conditioner I liked the looks of as well as a Leave In. They've been working really well and I'm enjoying the result... and after browsing the forum some more, I've discovered they're Shea Moisture and many, many people here use and recommend the brand as well Hah

brieRose
March 11th, 2019, 08:03 PM
i use hair spray around my face to help keep my fizzy hair in place i take a come and brush my fizzy hair in to a pony tail braid or bun. and here recently i have been using John Frieda Frizz Ease hair cream it works well on my hair.

Ligeia Noire
March 11th, 2019, 08:38 PM
Your hair is beautiful!

Blaithin
March 13th, 2019, 11:29 AM
Thank you Ligeia Noire :)

brieRose I really try and stay away from any hair sprays but I believe the serum I got is a John Frieda Frizz Ease one and I'm liking it so far :thumbsup:

Groovy Granny
March 13th, 2019, 11:37 AM
i use hair spray around my face to help keep my fizzy hair in place i take a come and brush my fizzy hair in to a pony tail braid or bun. and here recently i have been using John Frieda Frizz Ease hair cream it works well on my hair.

I really try and stay away from any hair sprays but I believe the serum I got is a John Frieda Frizz Ease one and I'm liking it so far :thumbsup:

I try to avoid hairspray too, but occasionally use a wee spritz of spray with a BBB just on face framing hair wispies; and use Biosilk Lite Serum with good results.

Great to hear you are finding some successful treatments ~ your hair is gorgeous :love:

Begemot
March 28th, 2019, 12:45 PM
Bumping this thread just to rejoice: winter is over, spring is here! Soon there's no big scarves and coats rubbing against hair, no static hair floating around, no snow and ice... It's going to be way easier to wear my hair up and I can go outside even when my hair isn't 100% dry. Gimme that vitamin D :D