PDA

View Full Version : Hair growth and Pregnancy?

WyntreBlossom
March 1st, 2019, 08:47 PM
So I might or might not have disappeared from this forum for a few months. In december we found out we were expecting our first baby! I am currently 17 weeks pregnant (that's just over 4 months!) with a healthy baby girl. Her name is Elena for those curious!

BUT! This is not about babies, its about hair! I have heard some stories of hair and nails growing faster during pregnancy, I have heard horror stories of rapid shedding. But so far, I have not experienced anything quite different or noticeable as of yet. My nails are not growing at super speeds, and my hair is still growing at normal speeds for me (semi stalled even).

I have no changed my hair care routine. In fact, I have been washing my hair even less than before due to not having much energy (my first trimester was ROUGH ladies!).

I would like to know if anyone here noticed changes during pregnancy (not postpartum! Though I will be asking about that later on!), or if anyone did anything different during pregnancy to help aid their hair growth journey.

Check my page for my march update here soon! Ill also add an update to the BSL to Waist thread as soon as I have the photo edited (within the next hour) for those curious about my recent growth!

Happy growing!

Ylva
March 1st, 2019, 09:19 PM
Congratulations! :)

milosmomma
March 1st, 2019, 11:00 PM
How exciting, congratulations! I have a 14 month old son so I've just been through all the joys of pregnancy recently. I don't think I noticed any faster growth rate but I do feel like I shed a whole lot less during the pregnancy(just for it all to fall post-pardum but that's a different story). And to be fair I think I have a pretty fast growth rate as is (.5-.75in per month) so I can't ask for more than that. I also noticed my hair having more shine during the pregnancy and definitely got greasy scalp faster, but honestly most of my hair changes are after a pregnancy. Being pregnant is such an amazing thing, I hope you have a smooth and joyful pregnancy and a happy health little babe at the end :)

WyntreBlossom
March 1st, 2019, 11:25 PM
How exciting, congratulations! I have a 14 month old son so I've just been through all the joys of pregnancy recently. I don't think I noticed any faster growth rate but I do feel like I shed a whole lot less during the pregnancy(just for it all to fall post-pardum but that's a different story). And to be fair I think I have a pretty fast growth rate as is (.5-.75in per month) so I can't ask for more than that. I also noticed my hair having more shine during the pregnancy and definitely got greasy scalp faster, but honestly most of my hair changes are after a pregnancy. Being pregnant is such an amazing thing, I hope you have a smooth and joyful pregnancy and a happy health little babe at the end :)

Thank you so much. My only change that Ive noticed is slightly fuller hair but im still shedding normally. If you want to message me your post pregnancy hair changes in a private message I wouldn't mind at all! I have heard horror stories XD. Gratz on your son <3

blesseddamozel
March 1st, 2019, 11:33 PM
Congratulations!!!! What wonderful news :cheer::joy::heartbeat

Wavykate
March 2nd, 2019, 03:16 AM
My hair grew very fast during pregnancy i really didn’t notice until he was born when I suddenly had this mane! Unfortunately I did shed a lot after the birth but not enough that i had bald patches, I just had strands of hair eeeeeeverywhere! Blocking up the shower and getting all over my son! Also you go through a lot of emotions after the birth and I really thought cutting my hair off to reveal a new me was a good idea despite having grown my hair for years and finally reaching waist!!

So yeah here I am at shoulder length with stupid layers I can’t do anything with on my journey again!

But about the growth I really think the pre natal vitamins helped a lot! Now I’m going to have to have another baby to get my length back!!

AmaryllisRed
March 2nd, 2019, 09:38 AM
Congratulations!
Yes, my hair grew even faster than usual and looked AMAZING during my pregnancies!
And I only had a noticeable shed after one of the four.
I think a lot of women chop their hair off after baby but personally I preferred not to. You figure you're busy with a newborn, so you're washing your hair less. Short hair shows grease so much worse. And in my case requires styling. And then when you're changing diapers, it gets in your face. Pain in the butt. I think long hair is much easier for the new baby stage.

Wavykate
March 2nd, 2019, 09:45 AM
Yes I really wish I hadn’t cut mine! I’ve made my partner promise that he won’t ever let me go short again no matter how much I say I want to!!

Dark40
March 2nd, 2019, 09:49 AM
Congratulations! :) I've learned that pregnancy can make both your hair and nails grow a lot faster.

WyntreBlossom
March 2nd, 2019, 11:53 AM
thank you all so much. I guess we will see if any changes develop during the rest of my pregnancy. Thank you for the "postpartum chop" warnings. I'll have to fight that urge if it hits!

lapushka
March 2nd, 2019, 01:18 PM
Congratulations; Elena is a pretty name! :D

Groovy Granny
March 2nd, 2019, 01:27 PM
Congrats :applause
What a pretty name for a baby girl :love:

It is too long ago (and I didn't pay attention back then) so I have nothing to offer re: growth in pregnancy.

But please keep us updated in the thread 2019 babies to be! (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148343) :flowers:

lapushka
March 2nd, 2019, 02:29 PM
But please keep us updated in the thread 2019 babies to be! (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148343) :flowers:

Yes, please do that! There's an entire baby thread (GG has got you covered with the link). :D

*Wednesday*
March 2nd, 2019, 03:08 PM
Bless your new baby. I had two children. For me, my hair and nails never grew faster.

Dee94
March 2nd, 2019, 06:21 PM
With my first pregnancy my hair seemed to get a little fuller on the top of my head but that was about it, went to normal after my son was born, wasn't really much of a change. And I didn't shed a bunch after he was born. With this pregnancy, I haven't noticed anything different with my hair so far and may not.

Congrats by the way!:flower:

sumidha
March 2nd, 2019, 07:06 PM
My hair grew slightly faster, but not a crazy difference. On the flip side, the postpartum shed was noticeable but not extreme so I guess it's a good trade off. :)

Alex Lou
March 2nd, 2019, 07:13 PM
I've been shedding a whole lot less while pregnant, which means thicker ends all growing at the same time. My skin is also dry so I don't need to wash my hair much at all. But last time I shed maybe a third of my hair starting 3 months postpartum.

Basically the hair during pregnancy stays in the growth phase. Postpartum, all that hair in the growth phase enters the resting phase and then sheds. So it's all awash.

WyntreBlossom
March 2nd, 2019, 07:50 PM
Thank you all again. Im joining the babies to be thread now! Thank you I did not know it existed! I will for sure keep you updated!

Groovy Granny
March 2nd, 2019, 09:03 PM
Thank you all again. Im joining the babies to be thread now! Thank you I did not know it existed! I will for sure keep you updated!

Saw you there :thumbsup:

milosmomma
March 3rd, 2019, 01:04 AM
Thank you so much. My only change that Ive noticed is slightly fuller hair but im still shedding normally. If you want to message me your post pregnancy hair changes in a private message I wouldn't mind at all! I have heard horror stories XD. Gratz on your son <3

There wasn't anything too bad I just thought you meant only changes we noticed during pregnancy. I had a moderate shed that is already growing out. I have full dandelion head right now with new sprouts everywhere :lol: The patches around my temples are still pretty sparse though.

miyeena
March 3rd, 2019, 06:38 AM
Congrats ;)

Hair does not grow more/thicker during pregnancy, but sheds far less, due to higher levels of estrogen.

Auksaplauke
April 28th, 2021, 07:11 AM
I am pregnant and my hair is thicker now. It is grow faster. But i am afraid to loose hair after childbirth.

lapushka
May 3rd, 2021, 04:37 PM
I am pregnant and my hair is thicker now. It is grow faster. But i am afraid to loose hair after childbirth.

I am afraid that's what a lot of women just have to go through. :flower: Some don't, though, so... you'll just have to wait & see. :) Congratulations. When is baby due?

Arciela
May 4th, 2021, 08:05 PM
I take a birth control pill that is for my endo, and it makes me skip periods, so I take it non stop. My Dr. told me it makes my body think its pregnant. I notice it grows a lot faster now...however, when I had to stop BC for a month for a surgery I had a massive shed. It was sooo awful. My hair is growing back finally but yikes, that was scary...