PDA

View Full Version : tangle teezer?

miyeena
February 27th, 2019, 03:18 PM
Hi (again)

So, I am curious would tangle teezer be good for 1c/2a hair? My lenght isn't very wavy, but the ends are - so would it be good to use it partially on hair? Gently.. Thanks.

Ylva
February 27th, 2019, 03:24 PM
I have used a Tangle Teezer and currently use a Wet Brush on 1c/2a hair, and it works fine for me.

lapushka
February 27th, 2019, 03:40 PM
If you are at all wavy, don't dry brush your hair; just finger detangle if you must between washes.

Then detangle when wet and full of conditioner or when your hair comes out the towel, either of those.

Having wavy hair, you need to make a kind of "switch" in your head and brush when wet, not dry. It is a big difference and can take quite a bit of getting used to, though, but the results will probably soon follow (better hair)!

I use a TT dupe on dry hair before washing, and then when my hair comes out the towel damp, I detangle with a Wet brush dupe. That's the *only* times a brush touches my hair, during the week (I weekly wash), I just gently finger detangle, and by that I mean, I separate my hair into strands and get the sheds out that way. I don't use my fingers as rakes and push through!

Groovy Granny
February 27th, 2019, 03:56 PM
The TT was too rough on my fine hair; I prefer the Vented Wet Brush for detangling my wet and dry wurly hair.
I use a wood bristle brush and comb for styling; my hair is too fine for finger detangling alone.

Ylva
February 27th, 2019, 04:17 PM
If you are at all wavy, don't dry brush your hair; just finger detangle if you must between washes.

Then detangle when wet and full of conditioner or when your hair comes out the towel, either of those.

Having wavy hair, you need to make a kind of "switch" in your head and brush when wet, not dry. It is a big difference and can take quite a bit of getting used to, though, but the results will probably soon follow (better hair)!

I'd like to think, having the hair type in question myself, that 1c/2a hair has a lot of potential to go either way, and I could never imagine not dry-brushing my hair. It would not look or feel nice altogether. A lot of the time, it fares well with "straight hair treatment", unless one is specifically looking to encourage the waves. I think, with this kind of hair type, it comes down to other factors as well, like strand thickness and other behavioural tendencies of the hair, and not least personal preference - not just the waviness or lack thereof.

lapushka
February 27th, 2019, 04:22 PM
I'd like to think, having the hair type in question myself, that 1c/2a hair has a lot of potential to go either way, and I could never imagine not dry-brushing my hair. It would not look or feel nice altogether. A lot of the time, it fares well with "straight hair treatment", unless one is specifically looking to encourage the waves. I think, with this kind of hair type, it comes down to other factors as well, like strand thickness and other behavioural tendencies of the hair, and not least personal preference - not just the waviness or lack thereof.

Maybe our OP needs to do a hairtyping picture first, as she might even be more wavy than we think. :flower: :) I suspect that because the waves are all at the ends.

Ylva
February 27th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Maybe our OP needs to do a hairtyping picture first, as she might even be more wavy than we think. :flower: :) I suspect that because the waves are all at the ends.

Yep, that could well be! And would be interesting to see a photo. :) Of course, not forcing the OP.

meteor
February 27th, 2019, 04:37 PM
I like the Tangle Teezer, but I use it specifically for dealing with tiny spiderweb-like tangles and multiple tangles after a wash, because it detangles fast (even though I don't know if it's the safest method out there) and it would be too time-consuming for me to stick to a wide-tooth comb in that situation.

Tangle Teezers aren't all the same: the Thick & Curly edition and the Ultimate Finishing Tool edition both use FirmFlex technology - they have slightly longer and firmer teeth compared to the Original/Elite/etc... And the shape/presence or absence of a handle/etc can all make a difference in your experience.

I would say that the TT breaks up my waves and makes my hair puffier/lighter/more voluminous, so if I want to keep smooth calm waves and more wave clumping for some reason, I stick to a wide-tooth wooden comb instead of the TT. The Tangle Teezer can cause some static, which is pretty typical for plastic tools. I can't really use any standard brushes, so the Tangle Teezer is a notable exception.

Entangled
February 27th, 2019, 07:50 PM
I have 1c/2a hair and love my tangle teezer. If I’m looking for waves I only wet comb, but if I’m going for straighter hair I use my TT (which is often, since I just bun it)

Tinyponies
February 27th, 2019, 08:04 PM
I’ve stopped using my tangle teezer for now as i think I was causing damage to my fine hairs with it. Could have been because I was using it too roughly- getting a kind of false confidence with it.

Also got a lot of static and I’m a lot happier either detangling with wooden wide tooth comb once a day or just collecting sheds (gently, not raking it as Lapushka said).

Charlotta64
February 27th, 2019, 11:06 PM
I love the one with the handle.
I use it every day, followed by my wooden TEK brush.

Simpscone
February 28th, 2019, 02:26 AM
The tangle teaser is the only thing I've found that can brush out my thick, prone-to-knotting hair without really hurting.

I'm not sure exactly how gentle it is on your hair but I assume if you're using it carefully and not just ripping it through your strands you should be okay.

I tend to brush out my 2b/2c hair when dry - I know I shouldn't but I just can't get it to look right otherwise! :shrug:

Simpscone
February 28th, 2019, 02:28 AM
Tangle Teezer* oops! :doh:

miyeena
February 28th, 2019, 08:04 AM
Thank you everyone :) I bought one day and I've used it on full-of-conditioner hair and it feels so amazing. As to photo, I might do it - I've signed in recently and can't do a signature, but I plan to. Thanks again! :-)

meteor
February 28th, 2019, 08:19 AM
Thank you everyone :) I bought one day and I've used it on full-of-conditioner hair and it feels so amazing.

^ Cool! :D Which Tangle Teezer did you get? It always feels like such a relief when we find the right detangling tools.

sweetvalley00
February 28th, 2019, 09:07 AM
I have used a Tangle Teezer and currently use a Wet Brush on 1c/2a hair, and it works fine for me.

I used the very same combo until recently! I have some breakage in my hair since I'm just starting out on this hair journey and I took both of my brushes to my hair dresser to ask her "expert" opinion. She suggested that the Wet Brush was probably the only one I should be using. My guess here is that the Tangle Teezer (which really does get out all the tangles) might be causing some damage along the way. I hated saying good-bye to that brush that I loved so much. If you guys are having better luck, lucky you!!

miyeena
February 28th, 2019, 09:30 AM
I got Purple Crush (Salon Elite) and I couldn't be any happier right now :) For now, I am not seeing any broken hairs (as I have before, had to do a s&d session today) and I just hope it will stay that way, hahaha.

miyeena
February 28th, 2019, 09:31 AM
I used the very same combo until recently! I have some breakage in my hair since I'm just starting out on this hair journey and I took both of my brushes to my hair dresser to ask her "expert" opinion. She suggested that the Wet Brush was probably the only one I should be using. My guess here is that the Tangle Teezer (which really does get out all the tangles) might be causing some damage along the way. I hated saying good-bye to that brush that I loved so much. If you guys are having better luck, lucky you!!

Have you tried doing it *very* gently? Any brush that is used even a little rough will cause damage/breakage. I had it happen and yuck :(

tekla
March 1st, 2019, 03:06 AM
How often do you replace your TTs? I've had mine (Original) for years and years now and I'm wondering whether it somehow wears down over time and starts to damage hair. It looks ok (if I remember to wash it regularly...) but how do I know it's not bad for my hair?

lapushka
March 1st, 2019, 07:07 AM
How often do you replace your TTs? I've had mine (Original) for years and years now and I'm wondering whether it somehow wears down over time and starts to damage hair. It looks ok (if I remember to wash it regularly...) but how do I know it's not bad for my hair?

I weekly detangle. I had my first one, the original one (not a dupe, these days I use dupes) for 10 years. Then I had to get rid of it because the bristles were totally bent over and it just didn't brush well anymore.