PDA

View Full Version : Wavy hair, 2a?

miyeena
February 27th, 2019, 10:44 AM
Hello!
I have quite... weird hair. It's slightly (especially when pulled) past BSL length.

... before - I've brushed it.. but I saw a lot of breakage despite being *so* gentle. Then I switched to comb, and even then I noticed breakage... My hair gets quite tangly, so I do not know what to do. Are baby brushes any good?
I don't want to fully ruin my wave pattern (despite it coming back VERY fast back), so I'm curious do you have any ideas. I'll be very thankful! :-)

Haven
February 27th, 2019, 11:11 AM
My hair is the same texture and length, and I've been using my fingers exclusively for combing and haven't been experiencing much breakage except for the odd time I tug a little too hard on a knotted hair and hear a snap and cringe. It takes a little longer, but I like the added fine control it gives me so I can be extra careful.

lapushka
February 27th, 2019, 11:12 AM
I would try looking up "curly girl method" on YT and on Google, and trying to follow that method, especially how the hair is styled after a wash (LOC/LCO method, that can be found in my signature).

Other than that, you are quite new, so settle in, and read *loads* before even attempting to brush your hair dry (don't do it).

Welcome! :)

Wavykate
February 27th, 2019, 12:17 PM
I found wooden brushes are the best they don’t make your hair static and helps distribute oils down the hair shaft, also safe to use on wet hair. I noticed a huge difference in my hair when I started using a wooden brush

milosmomma
February 27th, 2019, 01:36 PM
I would try to only detangle it in the shower with a conditioner that has good slip on it and then leave it to air dry with out touching. I get the most out of my waves this way and then after it's completely dry detangling is quite easy with fingers or wide tooth comb if needed. Damp/after shower detangling usually pulls my waves straight.

BerrySara
February 27th, 2019, 01:43 PM
I have curly hair so I understand the challenge of detangling.

What has worked for me is to not brush while dry. I usually wet my hair with water spray bottle and add conditioner with a lot of slip (Like Aunt Jackie's Knot on My Watch Instant Detangling Conditioner). Then I either use my fingers for combing or I use my Tangle Teezer which is a detangling brush.

miyeena
February 27th, 2019, 03:19 PM
Thank you a lot everyone ;) I'm still quite in the process of realizing am I in fact 1c or 2a,so I'm gathering all the information to keep my hair damage free as much as possible.

littlestarface
February 27th, 2019, 11:59 PM
If you do get a tangle teezer make sure you watch out for breakage and splits, I had lots of that with my TT but I thought it was something else until I threw it away and got a wet brush now no more damage.