PDA

View Full Version : What are your must-have travel hair items?

venividibxtchy
November 5th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Specifically for longer trips, more than five days or even as long as a week or two.

Do you "decant" your oils into smaller bottles?
How do you bring/store shampoo bars?
What about acv/citric-acid rinses?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

taliarose
November 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Anything longer than a night and I have, have, have to bring a decent comb and brush. Anything else I can improvise. :cheese:

Islandgrrl
November 5th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I recently got back from 2 weeks away, and I took sample size bottles of my fave shampoo and conditioner with me, a couple of hair forks and a buff. I bought a jar of coconut oil when I arrived in California, and that was it. I only actually shampooed my hair three times while I was gone, so it wasn't a big deal.

Curlsgirl
November 5th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Seamless wide tooth comb, coconut oil, leave-in conditioner, curl cream, curl gel and a curling iron for my sometimes less than agreeable bangs. Unless I am flying I take them in the original containers.

jojo
November 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM
for me its my wooden comb, a travel size bottle with my hair oil in it, conditioner and some scrunchies, if its hot where I am going a scarf or hat too!

mira-chan
November 5th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Specifically for longer trips, more than five days or even as long as a week or two.

If it's a week or less, a comb and some hairpins/sticks/forks. More than a week I take a small dropper bottle of oil and travel bottle of shampoo and conditioner, transferred from the regular bottles.

No rinses, or anything.

Nevermore
November 5th, 2008, 03:02 PM
My oil is in a small (3oz?) bottle anyway, so I'd just take that with me as it is. I usually just grab a bottle of my usual CO washing conditioner (or take a half bottle of conditioner I have laying around). I usually take my plastic comb with me, since plastic can be lysoled or otherwise cleaned better than wood can if I were to say, drop it on the hotel floor and then when I get back home. A sturdy hairstick and a couple clear ouchless elastics (not the cloth ones, these are the stretchy but not rubber ones) need to be had too. If I intend to do any sleek updos, I'd also need my boar bristle brush.

So, oil, conditioner, comb, hairstick and elastics at least. I never fly, but if I did I would take into account where I was going. If I were going virtually anywhere in the US, I could buy a bottle of Suave conditioner at any store and that's what I would do. If I were going outside the US, I'd likely go water only or sebum only for my trip, which means I'd just need a comb, brush and a hairstick.

Liluri
September 23rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
Thought I might try revitalising an older thread rather than start a new one.

I'm going away for a month next year looking for recommendations on what I need to take and what I might buy in England please. (off to look at the English product threads)

truepeacenik
September 23rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
I'm also flying -- not soon enough-- to California.
Since my shampoo and conditioner are in bar form (and I'm willing to buy conditioner there and leave it behind) I have three bottles I can use for oils, ACV etc.
I think an oil and acv should be enough for liquids.
The remaining bottle will be almond-based massage oil.
I plan on a ficcare, fork and a pair of sticks and my wooden comb. I also keep elastics on my keychain, so I'll have those.
I should get a buff. It'll be damp cold, which I'm no longer used to.

If this visit goes well, I'll be returning on a regular basis. :pray: :eyebrows:
Then, it would be reasonable (and less weird) for me to have a stash of hippie hair goop.

Dars
September 23rd, 2009, 08:24 PM

I'm going away for a month next year looking for recommendations on what I need to take and what I might buy in England please. (off to look at the English product threads)
I've just recently come back from a 2 month trip in Europe. I took my 1 litre bottle of conditioner, wide toothed comb, mousse I'm trying to finish up, bobby pins, seamless hair ties and my straightening iron (only used on my fringe - rarely). Speaking of that, make sure to take enough adapters!

Take whatever you wish to take, whatever routine your doing now I'm sure you can do over there too.

One thing I found on my trip was the shower heads pressure was a lot different then what I was used to at home. Because we often stayed with relatives, it was low. I kept saying to myself I should have brought a dry shampoo or bought one.

Stuff to buy...take a look around and see what takes your fancy! Perhaps some accessories you might not find here. I tried some Nivea conditioner over in Germany, that was interesting to see so I gave it a go.

adiapalic
September 23rd, 2009, 09:30 PM
- Comb
- Brush
- Extra no-snag hair bands
- Hairsticks/forks
- Mini-bottle to put oil in
- Mini-bottle to put shampoo in
- Mini-bottle to put conditioner in

* For shampoo bar, I would put it in one of those little snap-together soap containers. I buy theses and my mini-bottles in the items in Travel-size aisle at Target.

rose_in_bloom
September 23rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
When my hair was long, I took mini travel bottles of shampoo and conditioner, a small bottle of oil, a comb, and a hairstick. I've never tried to travel with my shampoo bars and ACV. I'm planning to in the future though, so if you have any ideas let me know!

Debra83
September 23rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
I'm going away this weekend and I think I'm gonna take a 2 in 1 and a leave in conditioner, and a hair clip and a hair tie and a wide tooth comb!

Madame J
September 24th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I wrap my shampoo bar in parchment paper and secure it with an old hair elastic (hey, I have to use them somehow!). Then, when I use it, I just let it dry on a washcloth while my hair dries before putting it away in the morning.

For my acid rinse, I take 3 oz. of ACV in a travel bottle, along with an empty bottle, and mix up my preferred dilution. My old bottle is 12 oz., so 3 oz. of ACV will give me two rinses with a 1:8 dilution. Airport security has never had a problem with letting me carry on an empty bottle in my luggage. But I do make sure to stash the bottle in my suitcase if I'm in a hotel before the maid comes -- they sometimes throw out things they decide is trash. My husband had one toss his quart-sized bag for bringing toiletries through airport security and had to get a new one in a hurry when he was at a conference.

For oils, on vacation I use a shea butter balm instead of coconut oil, since I never know if coconut oil will melt and ooze. My shea butter is actually an all-natural lip balm, so it comes in a 1/4-oz. jar, and is orange scented. I've toyed with the idea of making my own when I run out of this, but it's actually not terribly expensive.

Other than that, my absolute essential hair items are my comb, one soft hair tie (for sleep braids), and my mini-claw clips. With those, I don't even need more elaborate hair toys, but I usually bring a couple, for fun.

Next time I go visit my in-laws, I'll probably just bring my shampoo bar and raid their cabinet for vinegar, and maybe even oil.

Little_Bird
September 24th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I always make sure I take one stick at least, and a claw (because it secures my hair very well, in a bun or just in a half tail).
As for products, when it's Summer, I take my Elvive's special Summer care line, or if it's not, I take my regular shampoo and conditioner.
I take my hair oil too...
What I really can't forget about is a hairband, because my family likes to travel with the windows open, so I really need it to protect my hair from being massively tangled...

And don't forget at least 2 or 3 hair elastics!

:flower:

florenonite
September 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM

Do you use 'cone-free conditioner? If so, don't bother bringing any, just get to a Tesco once you get here; Tesco has several 'cone-free conditioners and they all cost 50p for 500mL. Some of the chemists and other supermarkets do good 'cone-free conditioners, too; Superdrug comes to mind with several different ones, though they're something like £1.25/500mL.

If you use oils, I know you can get coconut oil in Holland&Barrett, which you should find in any decent-sized town. Theirs is rather pricey, though (£20 for 16oz.) so you might be better bringing your own or getting some in another health food shop.

Liluri
September 27th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Some great ideas here, thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep my eye on this thread :)

Periwinkle
September 27th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Comb, elastics, pins, oil (I keep it in a small jar that had a hand cream sample in), conditioner. I normally take more than that, but that's the essentials.

Das Siechtum
September 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM
-brush and comb
-elastics (3 sizes)
-at least one Flexi8 (Medium)

viking_quest
September 27th, 2009, 09:56 AM
-ACV rinse
-comb
-and my tiny makeup bag that has bobbie pins, mini-jaw clips, and elastics
-and maybe a hairstick or two if I'm going somewhere nice.

jel
September 27th, 2009, 10:00 AM
What is your routine?

I usually CWC with diluted shampoo about twice a week and use oil or shea butter for both heavy (prewash) and light (post wash) oiling. So, for a 2 weeks + trip away I would pack either a small tub of shea butter or a small bottle of mixed oils, and probably an old shampoo bar that I only use for travelling. I would buy the conditioner at my destination, as I'd be likely to use it up (unlike a bottle of shampoo, for example).

I would also take my wooden comb for detangling, and a couple of hair forks and Ficcares.

Specifically for a month's trip to England, I'd suggest you only take your regular hair toys, comb/brush and hair oil. You can buy cheap (or expensive, if you wish!) shampoo and conditioner in supermarkets (Florenonite mentioned Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury's also have OK products) and save space in your luggage. Oils are sold in biggish bottles and jars here, so you'd be better off bringing your own, if you use it. Also, if you have a Holy Grail styling product you should bring it with you, otherwise it could be fun trying a new mousse/gel/creme over here.

Sissy
September 27th, 2009, 10:03 AM
when I travel I have to go light LOL because normally I use several different conditioners and hair treatments during the week. When traveling all I really need is one bottle of good conditioner, one shampoo, my seamless comb, my Goody ouchless brush and one leave in that would be appropriate for the climate I was traveling to.

~GypsyCurls~
September 27th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Low-poo (Body Shop Honey Shampoo)
Cleansing Conditioner (Suave Clarifying)
2 Different Condishes (GVP Conditioning Balm & AO Honeysuckle Rose)
Leave-in (Kinky Curly Knot Today)
Styling Gel (Kinky Curly Knot Today)

I just bring the everyday stuff, I don't bother with oils/rinses/deep/protein treatments...

susiemw
September 27th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I am so glad this topic was posted. I am going to
go to a small town (off the road system so everything has to be either barged or flown in) in Alaska for
8 weeks and everything there is quite expensive.

I had been trying to figure out what I would take
with me and it hadn't even occurred to me that
extra shampoo etc should be on the list.
thank you thank you thank you for the reminder.

Normally when I travel I just take a little bit of
conditioner and shampoo to get me through until
I can get to the store but in this instance that won't work.

other necessities that always travel with me:

hair safe elastics
a couple hair sticks
a ficcare
some small hair clamps (I forget the name of them now but they are very common)
2 wide toothed hair picks. one for in the shower and one for out of the shower.

I don't normally take oil with me but I've missed it on my last two trips so I'll take a little with me on this one.

Susan

mwedzi
September 27th, 2009, 08:12 PM
bobby pins
moisturizer and/or oil
ponytail holders or scrunchies

That's all I absolutely need. I only wash once a week, so don't need conditioner or shampoo for a trip less than that. I usually don't comb more than once a week, either, but I might bring a comb. I also might bring other hair toys like a stick or flexi8 or whatever.

Teacherbear
September 27th, 2009, 08:30 PM
My "must have"s are my Denman brush :love:, a Ficcare Maxima, a mister with water in it, a pony tie, and a few scrunchies (for night time). Oh, and let's not forget my Giovanni products (shampoo, conditioner, leave in conditioner).

Flynn
September 27th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Little jar of coconut oil, (provided it's conveniently solid...) plenty of my own shampoo and conditioner, and the rest I just don't worry about. It won't kill me not to have all the rest. Oh, obviously also my brush, hairties, some bun pins, a barette, a wavelength pin and a hairfork. Maybe a comb, too.

IStand4u
September 27th, 2009, 08:44 PM

Okay I just read what you said and I'm subscribing to this thread because this is something I should look into as well! Thank you for bringing this up! I will be reading and watching! So many good tips!

Cinnamon Hair
September 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM
No, no, and no. I skip all unnecessary things and take only the essentials. For me that is my coney conditioner L'Oreal Mega Moisture, a scalp conditioner for CO, a shampoo, a comb, shower cap, hair towel, sleep cap, my pillow, Good Hair Days pins, and sticks/forks/a ficcare.
At home I might oil, brush, do a deep treatment, scalp massage, or use a variety of conditioners (cone and cone free) but for trips I keep it minimal.

23_seconds
September 27th, 2009, 11:38 PM
||||||||||

Ryanne
September 27th, 2009, 11:59 PM
My own shampoo and conditioner, seamless comb, scrunchies for the night, lots of elastics and hairscroos.

Liluri
September 28th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Do you use 'cone-free conditioner? If so, don't bother bringing any, just get to a Tesco once you get here; Tesco has several 'cone-free conditioners and they all cost 50p for 500mL. Some of the chemists and other supermarkets do good 'cone-free conditioners, too; Superdrug comes to mind with several different ones, though they're something like £1.25/500mL.

Cool, I'll put Tesco's on my must visit list.