PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of any good protective updos for wrestling/bjj?

thunderseed
February 23rd, 2019, 02:47 PM
Need some ideas!

milosmomma
February 23rd, 2019, 03:00 PM
I have a question, are you wearing protective head gear? My first hairstyle that comes o mind would be double dutch/french braids. I think they'd work with or without protective head gear.

FennFire911
February 23rd, 2019, 07:11 PM
For me, quickest and easiest is a pony tail that isn't pulled all the way through on the last wrap so it's still looped up, but it slips out kind of easy so it has to be redone a few times. More time consuming is double dutch, but those stay in place. I don't have any solutions for keeping the length out of the way. I just accept it as part of the game that it will get pulled sometimes.
I don't deal with wrestling head gear or anything. BJJ and Judo for me. Lots of throwing, and all the groundwork too. :D

thunderseed
February 23rd, 2019, 10:47 PM
For me, quickest and easiest is a pony tail that isn't pulled all the way through on the last wrap so it's still looped up, but it slips out kind of easy so it has to be redone a few times. More time consuming is double dutch, but those stay in place. I don't have any solutions for keeping the length out of the way. I just accept it as part of the game that it will get pulled sometimes.
I don't deal with wrestling head gear or anything. BJJ and Judo for me. Lots of throwing, and all the groundwork too. :D

How do you manage that? Doesn't your hair get damaged and in your partners way etc?

thunderseed
February 23rd, 2019, 10:49 PM
I have a question, are you wearing protective head gear? My first hairstyle that comes o mind would be double dutch/french braids. I think they'd work with or without protective head gear.

No head gear, and I'd be worried about braids hanging down, id like an updo that keeps the hair completely out of the way

Shorty89
February 23rd, 2019, 10:58 PM
Maybe italian hair taping? It can be very secure and could even go under a helmet if you wore one. I do karate, which doesn't have as much grappling and I usually just use spin pins for a bun, but the hair wrapping has held up well to karate too.

Simsy
February 23rd, 2019, 11:02 PM
Crown braids or faux crown braid sewn down to your head. I use them for work as a truck driver; loose hair or long braids can easily get me into trouble on minesites so hair must be up and secure.

kikuhoshi
February 24th, 2019, 10:00 AM
That depends on the association's rules for using a slicker. Speaking specifically from a youth folkstyle wrestling standpoint, my son's didn't require a slicker this year, but last year it had to be flat-to-skull, under the headgear, and attached, used by anyone with ear-length hair or longer. Multiple french braids were generally used by the long hairs on the team, with plain, no-metal elastics. This year, I've seen french and dutch braids, both relatively tight & flat to the skull. Crown braids and hair taping are kind of iffy and depend on the ref (crowns can be seen as an extra illegal grab point, and it's just easiest to remove it; hair taping can come loose and provide distractions/hazards).