PDA

View Full Version : Box braids on caucasian hair

Sparkles122
February 23rd, 2019, 10:48 AM
I have a friend at work who does box braids and ive always loved the style. I was talking to her all about the braids, where she buys the hair, how long they last, how much she charges (which is very affordable), etc. My question is will this damage my hair in any way when I take them out? Has anyone with fine to medium caucasian hair had box braids before? I just want all the information I can get before I decide to let her do it.

Shorty89
February 23rd, 2019, 10:50 AM
I haven't done any braids with fake hair, but I often do smaller braids in summer so my scalp stays happy during the heat/seat of summer (I have scalp eczema). I tried to use ab it of fake hair in them to protect the ends, but I couldn't manage to do it right. I thnk box braids would be fine as long as they aren't too tight on the scalp.

Sparkles122
February 23rd, 2019, 10:52 AM
I haven't done any braids with fake hair, but I often do smaller braids in summer so my scalp stays happy during the heat/seat of summer (I have scalp eczema). I tried to use ab it of fake hair in them to protect the ends, but I couldn't manage to do it right. I thnk box braids would be fine as long as they aren't too tight on the scalp.

She said she wouldnt do it too too tight since our hair types are different. Shes done them on herself before and they looked absolutely beautiful

lithostoic
February 23rd, 2019, 10:59 AM
Be careful. The tension and weight of the extra hair can cause hair loss.

cjk
I'm looking forward to the responses because I want to know the answer, too. This summer should be brutal and my hair is finally long enough to be long...

It's a beautiful protective style. Most of the issues I've seen mentioned are from traction alopecia, due to braiding the hair far, far too tight.

Sparkles122
Be careful. The tension and weight of the extra hair can cause hair loss.

Thats what i’m afraid of, although I would only keep them in for a month or two, and I also would most likely wear them up in a ponytail or in a low loose ponytail

Sparkles122
February 23rd, 2019, 11:01 AM
I'm looking forward to the responses because I want to know the answer, too. This summer should be brutal and my hair is finally long enough to be long...

It's a beautiful protective style. Most of the issues I've seen mentioned are from traction alopecia, due to braiding the hair far, far too tight.

I absolutely love the style. She said she has a few caucasian customers and they are repeat customers. She said they have had no issues.

AutobotsAttack
February 23rd, 2019, 11:09 AM
Should be alright to do. I’d suggest using human hair, versus synthetic. Human hair can at least hold a bit of moisture if you choose to moisturize the braids. To avoid tension it’d be best to have the braids stop maybe an inch or two past your real hair, and She can just rubber band the ends. PLEASE don’t let her burn the ends. While it’s not really bad for people who have extremely short hair, it’s easy to burn your real hair, or have to cut the ends of the braids and accidentally snip your real hair.

the longer the braids, the more tension they cause, the shorter the braids, the less tension they cause.

I wouldnt suggest keeping them in for more than two weeks with the texture of hair you have, just to make sure you are giving your scalp a breather, and your fine hair isn’t under too much tension. If you decide to moisturize the braids just spray a small bit of water, and put a moisturizer over them, maybe seal the lower half with an oil or butter.

Tell your stylist to opt for the “feed-in” box braids, instead of the ones that look like small knots where the fake hair is tied around the real hair at the roots. This will cut down on the amount of tension one heck of a lot. With the feed in technique the hair is mostly just blended in farther away from the scalp. The ones where you see a knot towards the roots, use a technique that requires wrapping the fake hair around your real hair right at the scalp, which requires a bit of pulling/securing, and I myself really don’t like that technique whatsoever.

Otherwise box braids are fairly easy to maintain, on various textures of hair.

Sparkles122
February 23rd, 2019, 11:14 AM
Should be alright to do. I’d suggest using human hair, versus synthetic. Human hair can at least hold a bit of moisture if you choose to moisturize the braids. To avoid tension it’d be best to have the braids stop maybe an inch or two past your real hair, and She can just rubber band the ends. PLEASE don’t let her burn the ends. While it’s not really bad for people who have extremely short hair, it’s easy to burn your real hair, or have to cut the ends of the braids and accidentally snip your real hair.

I wouldnt suggest keeping them in for more than two weeks with the texture of hair you have, just to make sure you are giving your scalp a breather, and your fine hair isn’t under too much tension. If you decide to moisturize the braids just spray a small bit of water, and put a moisturizer over them, maybe seal the lower half with an oil or butter.

Otherwise box braids are fairly easy to maintain, on various textures of hair.

Ill definitely try to get the human hair. I thought about letting her just do it to my natural hair but I really do want the braids a little longer than my hair. I wont let her burn the ends. Should I get those little clear rubber bands?

Robot Ninja
February 23rd, 2019, 12:23 PM
Thats what i’m afraid of, although I would only keep them in for a month or two, and I also would most likely wear them up in a ponytail or in a low loose ponytail

Afaik, traction alopecia is caused by wearing tight or heavy hairstyles for a long period of time. If you're only going to wear the braids for a few weeks, it shouldn't be a problem.

browneyedsusan
February 23rd, 2019, 12:39 PM
Ooh, Sparkles! What a fun idea! I'd love to see pictures when/if you get them. :)

Sparkles122
February 23rd, 2019, 12:40 PM
Afaik, traction alopecia is caused by wearing tight or heavy hairstyles for a long period of time. If you're only going to wear the braids for a few weeks, it shouldn't be a problem.

I think at the most it will be a month or two, any longer and my roots will be too grown out

Sparkles122
February 23rd, 2019, 12:42 PM
Ooh, Sparkles! What a fun idea! I'd love to see pictures when/if you get them. :)

Ill post pictures if I do it! Possibly this coming weekend if I can get the hair by then

Deborah
February 23rd, 2019, 02:24 PM
What are box braids? Are they the same as hair extensions?

littlestarface
February 23rd, 2019, 02:27 PM

I think their the braids that start off as a square shape https://www.amazon.com/Lihui-Medium-Crochet-Synthetic-Strands/dp/B075CGHQM1

Hairkay
February 23rd, 2019, 03:38 PM

I think their the braids that start off as a square shape https://www.amazon.com/Lihui-Medium-Crochet-Synthetic-Strands/dp/B075CGHQM1

They can be square, triangle, diamond or scalloped shaped. Sometimes extensions are added but that is not necessary. I tend to use large square shapes and I have never used extensions.

SwanFeathers
March 26th, 2019, 07:03 PM
I'm going to be DIYing my own hair into box braids this summer. (Med brown caucasian hair) mostly because its hot as heck in TX and I dont have a job that would prevent me from doing it. I already tried this style on a camping trip and fell in love with being able to wear my hair down without tangles and it being breezy on my scalp. My hair was actually in better shape after being in braids because I was really fussy about keeping them moisterized. That time I did it without any synthetic hair and I made sure that they werent too tight. (If it hurts its too tight! Dont let any heavy handed stylist tell you otherwise.)
This time I will be adding a small amount pre-treated kanekalon in (soaked in vinegar) to add volume. I am waiting until the end of my school semester to do this because it can take 6-12 hours to do yourself. It can take 3-6 for a professional so plan to take the day off for your hair :p
https://i.postimg.cc/9Fw18yrq/20190323-185812.jpg (https://postimg.cc/1fPp4n09)

Word of caution however, caring for hair in box braids is not the same as your hair loose. Additionally, it could be misinterpreted as offensive by some people and so I would have a prepared response just in case.

blackgothicdoll
March 27th, 2019, 09:56 AM
I'm going to be DIYing my own hair into box braids this summer. (Med brown caucasian hair) mostly because its hot as heck in TX and I dont have a job that would prevent me from doing it. I already tried this style on a camping trip and fell in love with being able to wear my hair down without tangles and it being breezy on my scalp. My hair was actually in better shape after being in braids because I was really fussy about keeping them moisterized. That time I did it without any synthetic hair and I made sure that they werent too tight. (If it hurts its too tight! Dont let any heavy handed stylist tell you otherwise.)
This time I will be adding a small amount pre-treated kanekalon in (soaked in vinegar) to add volume. I am waiting until the end of my school semester to do this because it can take 6-12 hours to do yourself. It can take 3-6 for a professional so plan to take the day off for your hair :p

Word of caution however, caring for hair in box braids is not the same as your hair loose. Additionally, it could be misinterpreted as offensive by some people and so I would have a prepared response just in case.

Those look awesome! You've got some talent, I can do my own box braids but not with added hair. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to do with a more slippery texture of hair. If I could do it with added hair I would probably wear my hair like that all of the time... it's so comfortable in the summer and so much easier to keep the scalp clean. But they are so rough at the salon! For me, they take 6+ hours at the salon, with two people working on my head. I think it took me 8 hours with breaks to do by myself (without extensions). I do feel it's easier to keep the hair underneath moisturized when it is done without extensions. Kanekelon hair is rough and sort of wiry, and really can dry out the hair underneath. I find I have to deep condition almost daily for the week after I've removed braids to get my hair back to normal.

Why would you have to explain yourself? Pretty sure vikings and other older European settlements wore loose braids like that. Now if you pair that look with an Ariana Grande style tan, there might be some questionable looks.

lapushka
March 27th, 2019, 11:47 AM

Good that you are soaking the Kanekalon in vinegar first, because there are a fair bit of issues with using it directly out of the pack (some seeerious irritation).

SwanFeathers
March 27th, 2019, 01:11 PM
Those look awesome! You've got some talent, I can do my own box braids but not with added hair. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to do with a more slippery texture of hair. If I could do it with added hair I would probably wear my hair like that all of the time... it's so comfortable in the summer and so much easier to keep the scalp clean. But they are so rough at the salon! For me, they take 6+ hours at the salon, with two people working on my head. I think it took me 8 hours with breaks to do by myself (without extensions). I do feel it's easier to keep the hair underneath moisturized when it is done without extensions. Kanekelon hair is rough and sort of wiry, and really can dry out the hair underneath. I find I have to deep condition almost daily for the week after I've removed braids to get my hair back to normal.

Why would you have to explain yourself? Pretty sure vikings and other older European settlements wore loose braids like that. Now if you pair that look with an Ariana Grande style tan, there might be some questionable looks.

I recently moved from a culturally blended city in Florida to a very- um, culturally divided town in north Texas.

Paco
March 27th, 2019, 02:38 PM
I am in love with this idea! Please post pictures!

BerrySara
March 28th, 2019, 07:21 PM
I would say go for it if you want to try it out. Agreed with others in terms of not having the braids too tight and close to scalp. I also would say that if you do add hair, don't add too much. The added weight can really hurt the scalp.

I had it done myself last year when I was traveling overseas and I just didn't want to deal with my curly hair in a hot and humid weather. Plus my hair was really short at the time ~7"- 8" or so and with shrinkage it just wasn't any fun. The braids just allowed me to just have fun without fussing and I was able to try out a new hair color I had never had, I went with bleach blonde hair extensions lol.

As you can see in the pictures (sorry for the cheesy vacation pics), the added hair wasn't a lot so it did look a bit thin overall but it allowed me to put it up in buns and ponytails etc without any issues (after the initial couple days of some light scalp soreness). In general I just really enjoyed wearing them.

However I went back a second time during my trip after wearing these for 4 weeks and the second time (different place) she added way too much hair and it was way too tight. I couldn't get past day 2...I ended up taking it all out because it hurt so bad and I saw how my scalp was irritated. I didn't want to risk anything so decided to just take it out and deal with the loss of money and time :shrug:

So just make sure you ask for those key things suggested in this thread so you don't have a bad experience with it. Other than that, have fun and share some pics!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36251&d=1553822298

milosmomma
March 28th, 2019, 08:30 PM
You're rocking it 100% Berrysara and you look gorgeous too. I dont think it looks thin at all, my hair wouldn't be any thicker(probably thinner) without adding hair.

Servana
March 29th, 2019, 03:13 AM
Like everyone else has said, I think it would be fine as long as they're not too tight and you take care of them well. The only thing I've heard about caucasian hair vs African hair for braids is that caucasian hair tends to have a lot more slip to it (unless it's coarse/curly) so it's harder for the braids to stay in. I haven't tried it myself though.

lapushka
March 29th, 2019, 09:00 AM
I would say go for it if you want to try it out. Agreed with others in terms of not having the braids too tight and close to scalp. I also would say that if you do add hair, don't add too much. The added weight can really hurt the scalp.

I had it done myself last year when I was traveling overseas and I just didn't want to deal with my curly hair in a hot and humid weather. Plus my hair was really short at the time ~7"- 8" or so and with shrinkage it just wasn't any fun. The braids just allowed me to just have fun without fussing and I was able to try out a new hair color I had never had, I went with bleach blonde hair extensions lol.

As you can see in the pictures (sorry for the cheesy vacation pics), the added hair wasn't a lot so it did look a bit thin overall but it allowed me to put it up in buns and ponytails etc without any issues (after the initial couple days of some light scalp soreness). In general I just really enjoyed wearing them.

However I went back a second time during my trip after wearing these for 4 weeks and the second time (different place) she added way too much hair and it was way too tight. I couldn't get past day 2...I ended up taking it all out because it hurt so bad and I saw how my scalp was irritated. I didn't want to risk anything so decided to just take it out and deal with the loss of money and time :shrug:

So just make sure you ask for those key things suggested in this thread so you don't have a bad experience with it. Other than that, have fun and share some pics!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36251&d=1553822298

Those are gorgeous pictures. The blonde is a nice contrast, IMO. Yes, you totally rocked those! :)

BerrySara
March 29th, 2019, 10:12 AM
Thank you milosmomma and lapushka! :o

It was only a bit thin if I was wearing it down but honestly I would take that over too heavy or scalp pain any day so I definitely recommend going light with any added hair.

The color aspect is pretty neat because you can try new colors without bleaching your own hair to death and even get a little adventurous like pink, blue, rainbow, you name it, while keeping your own hair protected.

SwanFeathers
April 1st, 2019, 03:04 PM
Ok so 9 hours later (woohoo im getting faster!) Here is my hair in the finished box braids. I braid them kind of loose, and I put half a pencil's width of kanekalon in each braid. The blue&green is expressions hair, and the brown is Que Volume (I bought way too much. For this look i used only 2 packs of hair in total.) I dont seal the ends so its easier to take out if I need to.
https://i.postimg.cc/VvJPmgvj/20190331-141608.jpg (https://postimg.cc/y3CbTFFd)

https://i.postimg.cc/8CbSHsxr/20190401-152626-2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/94zKXXmW)

https://i.postimg.cc/j5drktr3/20190401-152631-2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/hJwwXFvV)

https://i.postimg.cc/pTGMw4WW/20190401-152836.jpg (https://postimg.cc/sQhLSnGq)

https://i.postimg.cc/N0ttmRCc/20190401-153659-2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/K10Cy3yq)

lapushka
April 1st, 2019, 03:40 PM
That's awesome. Love the blue touch. :)

How long did it take you?

And it doesn't look too tight either! Just right, I'd say.

Aerya
April 1st, 2019, 04:32 PM
That looks so good! Awesome colour choices too, the blues and greens are beautiful in your hair :)

Groovy Granny
April 1st, 2019, 04:43 PM
Oh my goodness....9 hours....by yourself?! :thud:

They look amazing :love:

Damn, I can't even manage an accent braid :p an English (single or pigtail) is all I can do these days :o

You are good :thumbsup: :bowtome:

blackgothicdoll
April 1st, 2019, 06:23 PM
Wow SwanFeathers, I love it! Yeah 9 hours is definitely some time and patience. They definitely look nice and comfortable though. How long will they last you?

SwanFeathers
April 1st, 2019, 06:46 PM
Wow SwanFeathers, I love it! Yeah 9 hours is definitely some time and patience. They definitely look nice and comfortable though. How long will they last you?
Last time I had to take them out after a week because I got caught in a spikey bush, hopefully this will last longer :)

Lizabeth94
April 1st, 2019, 06:55 PM

I definitely agree about preparing yourself for a negative reaction. Where I live it’s extremely frowned upon and somehow racist for Caucasian people to wear boxer braids or cornrows. Idk, hard to explain, but there’s an attitude where I live that if you wear styles or clothing that typically belongs to another ethnicity, then you must be making fun of them or mocking them. It doesn’t make any sense, imitation is the highest form of flattery in my opinion, but it’s not seen that way here.

blackgothicdoll
April 1st, 2019, 07:31 PM
I definitely agree about preparing yourself for a negative reaction. Where I live it’s extremely frowned upon and somehow racist for Caucasian people to wear boxer braids or cornrows. Idk, hard to explain, but there’s an attitude where I live that if you wear styles or clothing that typically belongs to another ethnicity, then you must be making fun of them or mocking them. It doesn’t make any sense, imitation is the highest form of flattery in my opinion, but it’s not seen that way here.

That's unfortunate. Yeah, not long ago my dad was telling me a story about a caucasian officer wearing cornrows on the boat, and it appeared that she was either requested to remove them or given a hard enough time that she did so on her own. He was angry as he was telling me, I just didn't get it. I figured it's a generational thing. Cultures bleed over so much, it must take a lot of effort to find what culture one is wearing a style for. While searching for headwraps I find African headwraps, turbans, hijabs, and I was getting so stressed out about offending someone when almost every culture or religious group has a style of head covering they historically wore, even African Christians were known to wear turbans, and we've seen Victorian head coverings so nobody really 'owns' wearing something on your head...

I sort of figure that for braids, although it's not the exact same style, the culture crosses over at some point. Though I digress, I understand being worried about wearing something and offending someone and appearing to mock their culture, though I wish it wasn't always looked at like that, sometimes it really is just admiration. :o

Sparkles122
April 1st, 2019, 08:11 PM
Wow I love all the pictures of the box braids! I ended up not doing it just because I felt like I needed to just leave my hair alone for a while after the trauma that I put it through back in November. I might still consider it in the future though, because I love the style

Lizabeth94
April 1st, 2019, 08:51 PM
That's unfortunate. Yeah, not long ago my dad was telling me a story about a caucasian officer wearing cornrows on the boat, and it appeared that she was either requested to remove them or given a hard enough time that she did so on her own. He was angry as he was telling me, I just didn't get it. I figured it's a generational thing. Cultures bleed over so much, it must take a lot of effort to find what culture one is wearing a style for. While searching for headwraps I find African headwraps, turbans, hijabs, and I was getting so stressed out about offending someone when almost every culture or religious group has a style of head covering they historically wore, even African Christians were known to wear turbans, and we've seen Victorian head coverings so nobody really 'owns' wearing something on your head...

I sort of figure that for braids, although it's not the exact same style, the culture crosses over at some point. Though I digress, I understand being worried about wearing something and offending someone and appearing to mock their culture, though I wish it wasn't always looked at like that, sometimes it really is just admiration. :o

Yes I agree, people have to get so offended over nothing! Just let people do and wear what they want.

Kat
April 1st, 2019, 09:18 PM

I think part of the problem is the different reactions people receive. Often, people from that culture will point out that what's considered "cute" or "cool" on a white person might earn ridicule if they themselves wore it. For example, Indian women will point out that people have made fun of them for wearing bindi, but as soon as Gwen Stefani or a white girl at a club put one on, everybody is like "wow that's so cool, you look great!" In the case of braids, I know some black people have seen a lot of pressure to straighten their hair and not wear it in "ethnic" styles, so it might grate on them to see a white person in it and receive either no reaction at all, or to be told how great they look. (Me, I've always thought black-hair braids looked great ever since the 80s and The Cosby Show and all that {where I grew up my only exposure to black people was through the media}, but I realize other people are... not of the same mind, let's say.)

(Kind of like how I sometimes feel when people wear fake glasses for fashion or to look "cute," when for me they're a medical device I need for my daily function, and when for years you're told "you'd be so pretty if you got contacts" [didn't wear glasses] or the old saying "boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses"-- but as soon as someone dons them for "fashion" they're great.)

blackgothicdoll
April 1st, 2019, 09:36 PM
I think part of the problem is the different reactions people receive. Often, people from that culture will point out that what's considered "cute" or "cool" on a white person might earn ridicule if they themselves wore it. For example, Indian women will point out that people have made fun of them for wearing bindi, but as soon as Gwen Stefani or a white girl at a club put one on, everybody is like "wow that's so cool, you look great!" In the case of braids, I know some black people have seen a lot of pressure to straighten their hair and not wear it in "ethnic" styles, so it might grate on them to see a white person in it and receive either no reaction at all, or to be told how great they look. (Me, I've always thought black-hair braids looked great ever since the 80s and The Cosby Show and all that {where I grew up my only exposure to black people was through the media}, but I realize other people are... not of the same mind, let's say.)

(Kind of like how I sometimes feel when people wear fake glasses for fashion or to look "cute," when for me they're a medical device I need for my daily function, and when for years you're told "you'd be so pretty if you got contacts" [didn't wear glasses] or the old saying "boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses"-- but as soon as someone dons them for "fashion" they're great.)

Very well put, I definitely get this perspective too. But if I've learned anything about being an ethnic woman, somebody somewhere is gonna have a stereotype for me whether I'm in braids, weave, natural relaxed or whatever, so I may as well wear it. I do know for sure years ago I would have been frustrated for the reasons you stated, but lately I feel more encouraged to see styles diversified so I don't feel so 'different', if that makes any sense. Of course, it doesn't work that way for every one and I can still a absolutely relate to what you've explained and understand how others could feel frustrated at their necessity being someone's fashion statement.

It is easier to live and let live, though in different geographic locations there are different opinions. Very interesting discussion.

Eta: what I found most interesting was SwanFeathers and BerrySaras reason for wearing braids were the exact same reasons I wear braids when I do, not as a fashion statement or anything like that, so there is some solidarity across the board as women of the rainbow that we can all grasp... And that is very enjoyable to me. :o

Kat
April 2nd, 2019, 06:24 AM
Very well put, I definitely get this perspective too. But if I've learned anything about being an ethnic woman, somebody somewhere is gonna have a stereotype for me whether I'm in braids, weave, natural relaxed or whatever, so I may as well wear it. I do know for sure years ago I would have been frustrated for the reasons you stated, but lately I feel more encouraged to see styles diversified so I don't feel so 'different', if that makes any sense. Of course, it doesn't work that way for every one and I can still a absolutely relate to what you've explained and understand how others could feel frustrated at their necessity being someone's fashion statement.

It is easier to live and let live, though in different geographic locations there are different opinions. Very interesting discussion.

Eta: what I found most interesting was SwanFeathers and BerrySaras reason for wearing braids were the exact same reasons I wear braids when I do, not as a fashion statement or anything like that, so there is some solidarity across the board as women of the rainbow that we can all grasp... And that is very enjoyable to me. :o

No, I get it, too. I'm someone who, back in college, used to do henna body art, wear salwar kameez and sometimes even bindi, etc. My classmate from India would just laugh at me. This was before I knew about the whole "cultural appropriation" thing. Even for a while after college I'd sometimes wear salwar kameez. Everyone always complimented my "dress" and then I'd explain what it was. Some South Asians would feel offended that other white people encountered these clothes on me first. OTOH, seeing them on someone white and someone they knew made them more "accessible"-- as in, they may not have even been aware of the outfit before if not in an area with a lot of South Asians (or, South Asians who dressed this way), and now they had just learned in case they did see someone South Asian wearing it (and could maybe even say "Hey, I love your salwar kameez!"), or they would feel they could admire and ask questions about it rather than thinking they might have to keep their eyes and words to themselves. It certainly wasn't a case of being the Great White Advocate of Indian Clothing, but it could open a door for people to maybe know more about another culture. (and I'm one of those people who's knowledgeable about stuff and if someone asks, I'll probably tell them more than they wanted to know, so it's not like I was one of those "Um this sparkly thing on my head? I dunno, I just think it's pretty and I saw Selena Gomez in one, I think they're Canadian or something?" Like, anyone who asked me about my henna got an earful about what it is, where it grows, how and where it is used, etc., and probably an offer to let them try it some time, lol.)

This is, of course, with the caveat that I never sensed hostility from people; it was never "why are you wearing those stupid Indian clothes" or "they're only okay if *you're* wearing them." It was simply people who wanted more knowledge, and were interested, and didn't show any distaste when told they were from another culture.

And, I don't wear that stuff any more and would not unless I were actually in South Asia (and even then opinion is mixed about whether this would be the thing to do, as some people, including people from the region, will say it should be done and shows respect and helps a foreigner to blend in (as well as a neon-white blonde can), and others-- including people from the region-- would say it looks like trying too hard). Some South Asians would love it if I did (I had a few comments), some would just think it was funny or quirky-weird (like my Indian friend), but others would be offended, whether because they didn't understand why I was wearing it and that I knew what it meant, or simply because they didn't feel it was "mine" to borrow.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2019, 07:55 AM
It took 9H? I must have missed that part when I asked. That is some dedication!!!

Of course longer hair doesn't make it easier, either. Boy that is some patience.

I hope you can leave them in for quite some time; let us know how far you get with these. I would like to know as I wouldn't mind this style on me either.

SwanFeathers
April 2nd, 2019, 08:01 AM
It took 9H? I must have missed that part when I asked. That is some dedication!!!

Of course longer hair doesn't make it easier, either. Boy that is some patience.

I hope you can leave them in for quite some time; let us know how far you get with these. I would like to know as I wouldn't mind this style on me either.

Just be careful, my husband decided this was a great opertunity to catch me up with a Marvel Movie Marathon to be ready for the movie coming out this month :)

pixelchu
April 2nd, 2019, 08:48 AM
The following will be anecdotal but I hope it helps!

I had my hair braided while visiting some family abroad. At this point I had no fringe or layers to worry about (I was young, maybe 13)! I really liked them. They looked great, and I took them out after 2 or 3 weeks (during this time I just got my hair wet in the shower, I didn't use shampoo etc) and my hair felt good afterwards - I think the lack of washing helped. The stylists doing my hair used clear 'elastics' to hold the braids in place. I loved the way my hair felt when braided too, and it was great for the hot weather at the time.

I felt like my hair came out in better condition than it was before the braids, as it was a few weeks without brushing / washing / mechanically damaging my unruly knotty hair.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2019, 09:09 AM
Just be careful, my husband decided this was a great opertunity to catch me up with a Marvel Movie Marathon to be ready for the movie coming out this month :)

LOL. Hope you liked the marathon. :D

The following will be anecdotal but I hope it helps!

I had my hair braided while visiting some family abroad. At this point I had no fringe or layers to worry about (I was young, maybe 13)! I really liked them. They looked great, and I took them out after 2 or 3 weeks (during this time I just got my hair wet in the shower, I didn't use shampoo etc) and my hair felt good afterwards - I think the lack of washing helped. The stylists doing my hair used clear 'elastics' to hold the braids in place. I loved the way my hair felt when braided too, and it was great for the hot weather at the time.

I felt like my hair came out in better condition than it was before the braids, as it was a few weeks without brushing / washing / mechanically damaging my unruly knotty hair.

That's a great experience. Thank you!

Haziel
May 16th, 2019, 03:50 PM

All our ancestors got off the same boat and they all knew how to braid. It was better for people with super curly hair to make "corn rows" and people with strait hair to make an "english braid" and peaple who had curly hair often made "french braids".

And how do you do box braids on your self without extensions in 2a/2b hair?
Also can you add ribbons?
Do you have to do braid your hair start to finish? Or can you stop in the middle and do some more tomorrow?

AutobotsAttack
May 16th, 2019, 06:58 PM
All our ancestors got off the same boat and they all knew how to braid. It was better for people with super curly hair to make "corn rows" and people with strait hair to make an "english braid" and peaple who had curly hair often made "french braids".

And how do you do box braids on your self without extensions in 2a/2b hair?
Also can you add ribbons?

Do you have to do braid your hair start to finish? Or can you stop in the middle and do some more tomorrow?

I wholeheartedly agree, but in today’s world there are people who flaunt hairstyles, claiming it as their own original ideas. Like with the whole Kim K and the “boxer braids” ordeal. No she did not invent cornrows , and I just found it inconsiderate that she didn’t just call them cornrows like pretty much everyone else has for years now.

I think it’s the aspect of respect. Yeah various cultures have worn cornrows, box braids, dreads, locs, and twists for thousands of years, but each culture, in their own way, has made them unique and special to fit the vibe of the cultural pertaining to. It’s when people don’t respect, or pay homage to certain specific styles, that it becomes an issue.

Personally, I don’t care what anyone does with their hair, how they choose to express themselves is uniquely up to them. But I understand how issues like these can arise. I too live in Texas, and while it’s getting better, like many other parts of the world, there’s still idiots who make a big fuss over simple hair styles.

Sparkles122
May 16th, 2019, 08:26 PM

Where I live, it is not considered offensive and actually I have been encouraged to do it, even though I have since decided not to at this time

leayellena
May 21st, 2019, 01:33 AM
I never heard of a swedish woman complaining about cultural apropiation when a non-swedish person wears the cinnamon bun. Nor heard of an indian complaining if a european or american wears the nautilus. never heard of french, dutch or english people complaining of cultural apropiation because people wear such braids on a daily basis.
so the peoblem is not a hairstyle or cultural apropiation. it's rasism. people believe they are so special snowflakes they can hurt anyone because yeah they are special millenial snowflakes or something like this. :confused::rolleyes::o;)
since my layers grow enough to not be layers anymore I read and received comments like: you look like you are prepared to wash your face or you are a pissed librarian. thanks a bunch but I personally like the job as librarian. :p
can't thank enough to lhc for their amazing treasure of updos and updo tutorial link collections. I counted like 18 updos and variations I can do even if I have backpains on a daily basis.

elisam
September 12th, 2020, 05:21 AM
I made them when I was in Zanzibar a long time ago. At that time I was chin length, I wore them for a month and had no issues at all. I loved them and I really would like to make them again :o