PDA

View Full Version : how to use cone serums?

hollygolightly
February 22nd, 2019, 09:18 AM
I recently went back to silicones and since i purchased some silicone free conditioners that i would really like to use because of their propierties and i've been mixing them with coney serums but i'd like to try them separetly. How do you use coney serums? do you use them on wet or dry hair? how much do you use? do you clarify your entire length once in a while?

Begemot
February 22nd, 2019, 09:38 AM
You can use silicone serums on damp or dry hair, however you want/your hair wants :D I think how much you'll use depends on your hair type/texture and the need to clarify depends on your hair type/texture and if you use water-soluble cones or not.

lapushka
February 22nd, 2019, 09:41 AM
I use a small coin size of serum on my FTL+ hair, spread through palms and applied (scrunched in, but you can also smooth in). I mean, I have used the same amount since classic length.

meteor
February 22nd, 2019, 09:45 AM
I like to use them on ad-hoc basis only. Basically, if the hair is too dry, poofy, tangle-prone, static-y. But I really don't have a system, I can apply them all over or only to specific areas (e.g. just mid-length down) right before/during/after combing, just 1 drop or two, or a whole palmful or two, it just depends on what my hair seems to need that day. I like to keep leave-ins application minimal, because they can attract lint/dust and I don't like washing length too often. I do prefer applying on dry hair or hair lightly spritzed with water or just passing damp hands over length, then following with a drop or two of a silicone serum. It really depends on the product. I don't like using it on wet hair as much, because it's easy to overdo it without noticing when all length is wet anyway. As for your question on clarifying, I do it once in a blue moon anyway, just because even shampoo and conditioner have ingredients that can build up over time. Sorry, if my reply is too broad, it's a very YMMV kind of thing. ;)
This is one of my favorite serums, by the way, because it does feel rather light and not oily, but effective for slip: Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Anti-Frizz Serum (https://www.garnierusa.com/about-our-brands/fructis/sleek-and-shine/sleek-and-shine-anti-frizz-serum) (clear bell-shaped pump container)

Ylva
February 22nd, 2019, 09:47 AM
Once I'm out of the shower, I finger detangle my hair (separate it into smaller wet hair sausages), apply a cream leave-in and then apply a coney serum on top of that one to seal the stuff in. It depends on the serum and your hair length, but right now I use about 4 "drops" per side. I rub it into my palms and smooth or finger comb it into my hair, focusing on the ends but also taking a bit of it higher up, especially towards the back of my head as that area probably experiences the most friction from headrests and the such, but you don't really come to give the area much attention, generally.

ETA: I didn't notice the question about clarifying. I don't use a proper clarifying shampoo all that often - maybe once a month, but every once in a while (maybe once in 2-3 weeks at least) I gently run a regular sulfate shampoo through my lengths.

poli
February 22nd, 2019, 09:53 AM
I use mine on non wash days on dry hair, concentrating on the ends only, 2-5 drops tops.

Groovy Granny
February 22nd, 2019, 10:24 AM
Start slowly = drops at first..... and then adjust as you get the effect you are looking for and what your hair needs (which will vary).

I use Biosilk Lite Serum and my Fine, wispy silver loves it!

My hair prefers it applied on dry hair; applying to damp hair didn't give me the results I wanted.

At TBL I now use a squirt (@ dime size) worked into my hands and then raked over/through my ends from the ears down.
It is done after air drying, before night braids, any time I have flyaways (just a couple drops), or want soft curls by bunning.

I use coney products and do use sulfates, as well as a silver S&C once a month which clarifies.... so I really don't see buildup....but I use a clarifying shampoo every few months to be safe.

spitfire511
February 22nd, 2019, 10:27 AM
I used wash day on mostly dry to completely dry hair (for whatever reason my hair does better this way than on very damp hair).

And then sporadically as needed if snaggy or staticy - a VERY small amount. Just a couple of drops.

spitfire511
February 22nd, 2019, 10:28 AM
My hair prefers it applied on dry hair; applying to damp hair didn't give me the results I wanted.

LOL Jinx GroovyGranny!! Mine doesn't like it when damp either!

Groovy Granny
February 22nd, 2019, 10:31 AM
LOL Jinx GroovyGranny!! Mine doesn't like it when damp either!

LOL I am in good company ;)

Yeah...it either had no effect or it looked greasy :doh: there was no happy medium unless it was dry....but YMMV :shrug:

Rowdy
February 22nd, 2019, 10:34 AM
I use it on dry hair after I wash, so about 12 - 24 hours after washing. Total I think I use about a dime size of CHI silk infusion but I split the amount in 2 parts and apply to each half of my hair separately. I use kind of a 'praying hands' smoothing motion to apply and concentrate on the ends and the wiry parts. I keep going until I can no longer smell the product on my hands. I only clarify twice a year to do Keratin treatments, not because of buildup. I have found any leave-in that does not have water in it will not give me buildup.

RottenMango
April 27th, 2019, 02:46 AM
I use them after applying my leave in or leave ins to seal the moisture in and smooth any frizz. They keep my hair soft and help with tangling.

Charlotta64
April 27th, 2019, 06:35 AM
I tried to go without cones for months but it never tangled and damaged more.
Now I recently bought Paul Mitchell skinny serum.
The ingredients are just s bunch of cones with a nice smell but oh, what a difference does it make!
My hair was never softer and very easy to detangle! (Tailbone lenght).