PDA

View Full Version : Unruly hair from getting it thinned out at the salon?

p3anutbuttercup
February 21st, 2019, 06:47 AM
Hello!
This is my first post. I have 2a-b medium course hair. In the past I use to thin my hair out in the summer. I wash my hair twice a week and do a deep conditioning mask on the days I wash it. My hair is the longest it’s been since I was 5.
I normally don’t use heat on my hair, maybe at most once a week. I dye my roots blonde two to three times a year. I get my hair trimmed an inch every time I get it dyed. My hair dresser tells my I don’t have split end and when I have her cut it I tell her to cut enough of to make it healthy.
But I’ve been struggling because I have fly always along the shaft of my hair. I am just unsure if the unruly hairs are from previous layers and from getting my hair thinned out? Any thoughts?

p3anutbuttercup
February 21st, 2019, 07:00 AM
After looking at the hair typing guide my hair is actually 2ab M iii.

spidermom
February 21st, 2019, 07:27 AM
I remember the last time I had my hair thinned, I noticed thousands of ends poking out all along the length of my hair. I thought it was awful! However, you're always going to have a degree of that because every day hairs reach the end of their growth cycles and shed out, and every day new hairs grow in. There is no such thing as hair that is all one length.

whitehusky3
February 21st, 2019, 07:33 AM
Those stray hairs are from getting it thinned out. Thinning is the hair stylist cutting every fourth (or so) hair shorter than the rest. It helps some people, but others experience unruly and frizzy hair. You might be one of them.

lapushka
February 21st, 2019, 07:54 AM
Hello!
This is my first post. I have 2a-b medium course hair. In the past I use to thin my hair out in the summer. I wash my hair twice a week and do a deep conditioning mask on the days I wash it. My hair is the longest it’s been since I was 5.
I normally don’t use heat on my hair, maybe at most once a week. I dye my roots blonde two to three times a year. I get my hair trimmed an inch every time I get it dyed. My hair dresser tells my I don’t have split end and when I have her cut it I tell her to cut enough of to make it healthy.
But I’ve been struggling because I have fly always along the shaft of my hair. I am just unsure if the unruly hairs are from previous layers and from getting my hair thinned out? Any thoughts?

Do you use heat like a blow dryer, or a genuine hot tool; the first is OK given good temperature settings, the latter is not OK. It might also have something to do with it especially if you do it weekly (that is still a lot).

Try and see if you have white dots (heat damage) up the strands (a few inches up usually).

p3anutbuttercup
February 21st, 2019, 08:25 AM
Fortunately my hair doesn’t seem to have the white dots in it. A few regular short split ends but I’m getting a dusting to an inch cut off today. The heat tool I use are a straighten iron and a curling wand which I use both on low temps. I try to stay away from hair dryers.

p3anutbuttercup
February 21st, 2019, 08:34 AM
My hairdresser loves my hair but yesterday when I was talking to my step mom, who was a hair dresser many years ago, she told me I should take four to five inches off. When I was younger she used to cut my hair and make it shoulder length every time, which is why I’ve struggled to grow it out. I’ve always been a little self conscious of my hair. But my hairdresser who’s been my mother’s since before I was born, has been doing my hair for the past three years and I grew my hair from just above bsl to hip length.

The-Young-Maid
February 21st, 2019, 08:49 AM
It's from her thinning it. My hair looked like that too when I got it done once. It's awful for wavy hair. Then every time it's humid you look unkempt. The heat tools aren't helping tho.

KlutzyChy1
February 21st, 2019, 12:02 PM
I agree with previous posters. I actually just grew out the last of my layers & fixed my v-hemline back in August. I have naturally wavy hair & when I had layers, it looked extremely, frizzy & unkempt when not heat styled & the humidity only made it that much worse (horribly poofy & messy). But since then, my natural hair has behaved much better & my hair has been a lot more tame & manageable. I find I've gotten less tangles as well since growing out my layers as well. For me personally & my hair type, the only time my hair looked decent with layers was when I heat styled it.

lapushka
February 21st, 2019, 02:59 PM
Fortunately my hair doesn’t seem to have the white dots in it. A few regular short split ends but I’m getting a dusting to an inch cut off today. The heat tool I use are a straighten iron and a curling wand which I use both on low temps. I try to stay away from hair dryers.

TBH, it would be better to stay away from the hot tools than the blow dryer. ;)

Jo Ann
February 22nd, 2019, 12:26 AM
Hello!
Hair "thinning" is the WORST! It's very hard to find a stylist that can do it correctly, and, as stated above, it can make your hair look worse than before you had the thinning done.

My grandmother used to take me to get my hair thinned by the same lady that gave me pixie haircuts, and my grandmother was NEVER satisfied with how my hair looked or behaved after it was tortured "thinned" into *ahem!* submission. My hair would get even bushier and I constantly looked as if I had never used a hairbrush--even immediately after my hair was brushed (all I had to do was move)!

leayellena
February 22nd, 2019, 01:59 AM
you described my last hairstyle. a total butchered mess the thing. that's why I think I am 1b/1c in fact, instead of 2b/2c! gosh how can people hate natural state of hair is beyond me. that's why I keep telling people, haircuts are not natural!
oh I don't know if you can stand it @p3anutbuttercup, but you should join a non-trim or a micro trim challenge. 2 methods to do it yourself without being self counscious after a stylist's mess, while not necessarily starting over with a blunt cut.

p3anutbuttercup
February 22nd, 2019, 09:17 AM
you described my last hairstyle. a total butchered mess the thing. that's why I think I am 1b/1c in fact, instead of 2b/2c! gosh how can people hate natural state of hair is beyond me. that's why I keep telling people, haircuts are not natural!
oh I don't know if you can stand it @p3anutbuttercup, but you should join a non-trim or a micro trim challenge. 2 methods to do it yourself without being self counscious after a stylist's mess, while not necessarily starting over with a blunt cut.

I just went to the hair dresser yesterday and I got some split ends trimmed off. And the in two weeks I’m gonna do another inch just to get rid of split ends. Then I’m going to keep growing my hair after that. Anyone know a good vitamin for healthy hair growth? I cut my hair from my belly botton now to just below my boobs. I want to try to grow it back to the same length by the summer.

Jo Ann
February 22nd, 2019, 10:56 AM
PBC, even using the Inversion Method (massaging one's hair for five minutes while having one's head hang over the edge of the bed for one week per month--some report as much as one inch per month extra length), there's no way to get over a year's hair growth (about 5-6 inches) in three months. Not knowing your body proportions, from just below boobs to belly button on me is about eight inches.

You can try a daily vitamin supplement or biotin in a strength no higher than, say, 5000mcg (otherwise you get acne or other problems--been there, done that, and acne at my age is a little hard to explain :p ), but don't expect phenomenally fast hair growth (hair grows, on average, about 1/2 inch per month).

Your best bet is patience and a more realistic goal of, say, next summer for that length of hair.

leayellena
February 23rd, 2019, 09:07 AM
I just went to the hair dresser yesterday and I got some split ends trimmed off. And the in two weeks I’m gonna do another inch just to get rid of split ends. Then I’m going to keep growing my hair after that. Anyone know a good vitamin for healthy hair growth? I cut my hair from my belly botton now to just below my boobs. I want to try to grow it back to the same length by the summer.

I like argan or coconut oil. You can check out coconut oil, but don't worry if your hair feels crunchy after that. Some hairs hates coconut oil. Oh and it needs time for hair to get strong. Oiling, conditioning, maybe also cassia... It takes time, I don't know how your hair will be in less than half a year, but you will feel some differences if you pay attention to them. It really depends how long are those "ends" that need to be trimmed. Normally in less than half a year, they would grow less than 2 inches (6 cm)

p3anutbuttercup
December 20th, 2019, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I just realized how long it’s been since I’ve checked my own thread. So far my hair has improved immensely. I have been using mask more regularly in my hair care routine. I’ve also been staying away from heating tools. Since when I had created this thread I started a new job working with kids. And now I wear my hair up in protective styles mainly because I am so afraid of lice. And my hair is WL so I don’t want to chance a child pulling it either. I feel like it has improved quite a bit. I do use argan oil, my hair unfortunately hates the coconut oil. I’ve recently purchased the aussi deep conditioner on a whim and I am actually really liking it. I also purchased the John fritta frizz ease serum which I really like.