PDA

View Full Version : Got a wooden comb and it is AMAZING!

Missymo
February 20th, 2019, 03:44 PM
Hi I just purchased a wooden comb and it came just this morning. It is even better than I thought it would be. It glides so well through my hair, without snagging or catching on pieces of hair. It is so much better than any brushes I have, my wet brush included. :happydance:

Ylva
February 20th, 2019, 04:07 PM
How nice to hear that you've discovered a comb that works so well for you!

I actually had a similar experience recently. I started using a wide-tooth wooden comb on my hair on most days rather than my Wet Brush, and it is working just as well if not better. I still brush through my hair with the Wet Brush before washing my hair to get any and all knots and shed hairs out.

Groovy Granny
February 20th, 2019, 04:13 PM
Hi I just purchased a wooden comb and it came just this morning. It is even better than I thought it would be. It glides so well through my hair, without snagging or catching on pieces of hair. It is so much better than any brushes I have, my wet brush included. :happydance:

What kind did you get?

I love my sandalwood comb....and got a sandalwood bristle brush too that's nice :) (years ago from Amazon; pretty cheap too)

Ylva
February 20th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Speaking of sandalwood, how does the wood "breed" affect the comb or brush in question? Asking out of interest, because I'm new to wooden combs/brushes. :)

Missymo
February 20th, 2019, 04:15 PM
I got a Sandalwood comb

Nineteenbirds
February 20th, 2019, 10:43 PM
What I like most about my wooden comb is that it never has any static electricity. My plastic combs and my boar bristle brush do, but the wooden comb always takes that away. And it just glides through my hair.

Groovy Granny
February 20th, 2019, 11:46 PM
Speaking of sandalwood, how does the wood "breed" affect the comb or brush in question? Asking out of interest, because I'm new to wooden combs/brushes. :)

I'm not sure actually; the type/origin was not specified; mine was just a green sandalwood by 'Breezelike' and bought on Amazon....suggested here years ago.

It was very smooth and aromatic and my first purchase; I liked it so much I got a second set....mostly for the antistatic properties and it spreads the oils (natural/applied).

Begemot
February 21st, 2019, 01:45 AM
What I like most about my wooden comb is that it never has any static electricity. My plastic combs and my boar bristle brush do, but the wooden comb always takes that away. And it just glides through my hair.

This is the best thing about wooden combs! It has been a life saver during winters.

I have used The Body Shop's Detangling comb that's made of silver birch. Those combs are FSC certified and cost only about 5 euros.

GrowlingCupcake
February 21st, 2019, 04:14 AM
That's great that you found a comb that works for you!

I tried wooden combs but they don't really work for me. They're also a pain to clean. I prefer my seamless plastic comb to the wooden ones I have.

EdG
February 21st, 2019, 09:10 AM
Wood is a great material for combs because it stays smooth with use. The downside is that there can be a lot of variation in quality even from the same manufacturer.
Ed

TatsuOni
February 21st, 2019, 10:25 AM
I love my wooden combs. I got one from the Body shop and another made from olive wood (https://www.laplandecostore.se/sv/articles/2.433.2096/redecker-kam-i-olivtra-glestandad-105-cm). Both works fine, but I prefer the last one, since it's so beautiful :p

Groovy Granny
February 21st, 2019, 10:29 AM
<snip> They're also a pain to clean. I prefer my seamless plastic comb to the wooden ones I have.

I have never had an issue; in fact they stay pretty clean because the oils absorb into the wood &/or are dispersed into my hair :hmm:

Plastics combs = static hair explosions on me :tmi: :lol:

TatsuOni
February 21st, 2019, 10:45 AM
That's great that you found a comb that works for you!

I tried wooden combs but they don't really work for me. They're also a pain to clean. I prefer my seamless plastic comb to the wooden ones I have.

I don't need to clean mine often and when I do I use soap and a toothbrush or my BBB and it gets clean real easily.

Groovy Granny
February 21st, 2019, 10:48 AM
I don't need to clean mine often and when I do I use soap and a toothbrush or my BBB and it gets clean real easily.

I do the same ;) :thumbsup:

Luna Starsetta
February 21st, 2019, 01:18 PM
i have a Tek ashwood wide tooth comb that was handmade in italy for only $14 and i love it i use in in the shower to distribute my products and outside of the shower right before getting in so i can be tange free to wash!! love it so much i do follow with my boar bristle and nylon wet brush after.

Alexandrina
February 21st, 2019, 01:37 PM
I use a sandlewood comb I got for like $9 on amazon, and I absolutely love it! this one:

https://i.imgur.com/1UGKsBB.png

It's a perfectly portable size, only 5", and it glides through my hair so smooth I can never go back to static-causing plastic combs.
With plastic combs I had to use a spray with it, wooden ones I don't. Wish I had had one my whole life!

I keep thinking I'm going to assign this one to my purse so I'll always have one at hand, and maybe order a nicer one for my dresser.

I haven't had any issues with cleaning it either, I care for it the same way TatsuOni and Groovy Granny do.

Groovy Granny
February 21st, 2019, 01:57 PM
i have a Tek ashwood wide tooth comb that was handmade in italy for only $14 and i love it i use in in the shower to distribute my products and outside of the shower right before getting in so i can be tange free to wash!! love it so much i do follow with my boar bristle and nylon wet brush after.

I didn't know you could get them wet :hmm:

I use a sandlewood comb I got for like $9 on amazon, and I absolutely love it! this one:

It's a perfectly portable size, only 5", and it glides through my hair so smooth I can never go back to static-causing plastic combs.
With plastic combs I had to use a spray with it, wooden ones I don't. Wish I had had one my whole life!

I keep thinking I'm going to assign this one to my purse so I'll always have one at hand, and maybe order a nicer one for my dresser.

I haven't had any issues with cleaning it either, I care for it the same way TatsuOni and Groovy Granny do.

Very pretty :)

Mine is plain with a handle.

MusicalSpoons
February 22nd, 2019, 06:39 AM
I can see why cleaning wooden combs would be a pain if they're medium or fine-toothed. I tend to scrape off the gunk between the teeth of my wide-toothed comb with my fingernails and use a toothbrush for the bits I can't get to. A straight pin, such as one used in sewing, also works if you use the length of the pin to scrape in between the teeth; I just spend more time dropping it than actually using it now otherwise it would still be my method of choice. But it does take a long time for any gunk to build up so I don't have to clean it often.

My wide-toothed comb that I use daily is sandalwood; I also own a medium-toothed purpleheart comb though I don't use it often, both from Amazon. If I find myself having to clean that one, it will have to be with a pin or with a firm toothbrush!

My previous comb (WT, sandalwood) I accidentally left in a small puddle on the edge of the sink basin overnight. Months later it fell apart and I couldn't work out why until someone on here mentioned something similar and I remembered about it getting wet. However that was long enough for it to soak up the water, I suppose if a wooden comb was damp for a short while combing through product in the shower it wouldn't have such a dramatic effect ... I still wouldn't risk it myself, though.

Oh, and I always advocate keeping the wood oiled! My purpleheart comb turned grey after I didn't use it for months and I was shocked, but thankfully with a good oiling it's back to its beautiful, chatoyant self. Again, I don't have a set frequency for doing so; I'll either oil it at the same time as oiling my wooden forks and sticks whenever any of them need it, or if I notice the comb needs it. Basically if a wooden comb looks dull, simply oil it and watch it come to life :D

EdG
February 22nd, 2019, 06:48 AM
I clean my wide-tooth wooden comb with a damp washcloth. Wood can tolerate a little water, but too much will cause the wood to split.
Ed

GrowlingCupcake
February 22nd, 2019, 07:08 AM
The wooden combs I had picked up lint, dust, and everything so quickly I had to clean them weekly at least. And it took a pretty long time to clean them. The seamless comb I have now is just a quick rinse with some shampoo once every week or two.

samanthaa
February 22nd, 2019, 08:05 AM
I love my wooden comb, which I got off the swap board by trading out a horn comb (which pulled and snapped my hair). It's peach wood, I think. I've had sandelwood combs, but this one is by far my favorite, and it's held up better. It's very study and doesn't discolor. I clean it by dampening some cloth and gliding it between the teeth.

I can't see myself using anything but wooden combs.

TatsuOni
February 22nd, 2019, 10:45 AM
Oh, and I always advocate keeping the wood oiled! My purpleheart comb turned grey after I didn't use it for months and I was shocked, but thankfully with a good oiling it's back to its beautiful, chatoyant self. Again, I don't have a set frequency for doing so; I'll either oil it at the same time as oiling my wooden forks and sticks whenever any of them need it, or if I notice the comb needs it. Basically if a wooden comb looks dull, simply oil it and watch it come to life :D

I comb my hair when I oil it (a few times a week), so it gets enough oil then :p

Ylva
February 22nd, 2019, 10:52 AM
This is what my wooden comb looks like:

https://i.ibb.co/mc9W0jt/kam.jpg

I have no idea what wood it is, but I really like it. I bought it off of eBay (China) for around €5. I was surprised by how gentle it was, as I had never imagined my hair would do well with such a device.

Groovy Granny
February 22nd, 2019, 10:56 AM
This is what my wooden comb looks like:

I have no idea what wood it is, but I really like it. I bought it off of eBay (China) for around €5. I was surprised by how gentle it was, as I had never imagined my hair would do well with such a device.

I have that style in sandalwood :)

Groovy Granny
February 22nd, 2019, 10:56 AM
I comb my hair when I oil it (a few times a week), so it gets enough oil then :p

LOL same here :)

MusicalSpoons
February 22nd, 2019, 11:50 AM

:laugh: fair enough! I only usually oil my hair in the shower, so that's definitely no use for my comb ;)

Luna Starsetta
February 22nd, 2019, 01:22 PM
I didn't know you could get them wet :hmm:

My Tek comb is infused with a coating to protect the wood from water. if anyone is interested or would like to read this is my comb! https://www.tekitalyus.com/comb-with-wide-teeth-and-handle.html

however i got it on amazon for a cheaper price i had 5% off or something of the sort which i got it for about $14

hope this helps!!!

Groovy Granny
February 22nd, 2019, 08:02 PM
My Tek comb is infused with a coating to protect the wood from water. if anyone is interested or would like to read this is my comb! https://www.tekitalyus.com/comb-with-wide-teeth-and-handle.html

however i got it on amazon for a cheaper price i had 5% off or something of the sort which i got it for about $14

hope this helps!!!

Interesting....you learn something new everyday (hopefully) :lol:

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Viola_sororia
February 22nd, 2019, 08:05 PM
Wood combs are fantastic. I have a sealed one for combing wet hair and one with a beeswax finish for dry hair. They have lasted several years so far and appear to be sturdy enough to last many more. I've also had experience with $0.95 wood combs that I tried putting in my travel bag, but one of my travel toiletry containers squished up against it and crushed a corner, so I'm skeptical that those ones will last too long.

Groovy Granny
February 22nd, 2019, 08:16 PM
Wood combs are fantastic. I have a sealed one for combing wet hair and one with a beeswax finish for dry hair. They have lasted several years so far and appear to be sturdy enough to last many more. I've also had experience with $0.95 wood combs that I tried putting in my travel bag, but one of my travel toiletry containers squished up against it and crushed a corner, so I'm skeptical that those ones will last too long.

I don't think I have welcomed you to the forum yet ~ I hope you are enjoying it :waving:

With the anti-static properties in mind when I bought mine, I never gave a thought to the ability to use it on wet hair; that's great :thumbsup:

Simsy
February 22nd, 2019, 10:18 PM
Through a bit of trial and error, I have realised that my hair much prefers wooden combs; even over tangle teezer. So I have 3 now; one lives in my work bag, one in the bathroom and one for the lounge at home.

meteor
February 23rd, 2019, 05:35 PM
^ I like both the wide-tooth comb and the tangle teezer (the Thick & Curly edition). Sometimes, the wide-tooth comb won't get tiny knots out and won't separate all strands effectively enough, and that's when I like to use the TT (even though it causes some static). That said, I grew out my hair from BSL to calf length using nothing but the same old wooden wide-tooth comb, and it was fine, excellent for avoiding split ends. It's only recently that I started feeling the need to get an additional detangling tool.
Like others have mentioned, I find wooden combs to be awesome for static prevention, but I still can't figure out if my cleaning methods are effective enough, because the wood gets darker from all the oils that get absorbed and simply wiping off lint/dust with toothbrushes, toothpicks and wipes doesn't ever bring it back to "as good as new" look and feel.

Groovy Granny
February 23rd, 2019, 10:51 PM
I use my wood comb for a quick tidy up; for detangling and styling I use a wide tooth comb and my Vented Wet Brushes (regular and BBB).

spidermom
February 24th, 2019, 09:01 AM
I have a wooden comb, too. When I first got it, the sound it makes moving through my hair bothered me. I'm used to it now, though. I love that comb.

Groovy Granny
February 24th, 2019, 11:24 AM
:hmm: mine is quiet and smooth.....does yours have hidden rough edges?

My tangle teezer was tossed out after I heard that ripping through my wispy silver :tmi:

I love my Vented Wet Brush :love: I have a regular and a BBB.

cjk
February 24th, 2019, 12:11 PM
but I still can't figure out if my cleaning methods are effective enough, because the wood gets darker from all the oils that get absorbed and simply wiping off lint/dust with toothbrushes, toothpicks and wipes doesn't ever bring it back to "as good as new" look and feel.

The absorbing of oils is a benefit!

I've been using one for my beard for years. It's quite dark, now, the oils help it glide through my Afro textured beard without snagging and it helps distribute those oils all the way to the ends.

It's seasoned, broken in, and they get better with age.

Broke two teeth off it, and I'm sad. Might have to have to start all over, again, with a new one.

meteor
February 24th, 2019, 12:51 PM
^ Sorry to hear about the broken teeth on the comb - it's so annoying when that happens.
I think oiling is a benefit for conditioning the wood, too, cjk. :agree: I'm just not sure if the cleaning my wooden comb gets with oil is enough... It's a bit like "oil cleansing" for skin: if it's only the first step before a wash with some kind of a surfactant, I feel like the wash is "complete", but if it's just oil and wiping motion, I wonder if it leaves some thin layer of dirt behind or a layer that can potentially attract dust/lint/etc.?
I do feel that my wooden comb is smoother now than in the beginning, probably thanks to the oils.

Groovy Granny
February 24th, 2019, 02:18 PM
Sorry about your broken comb cjk.

I have never had a lint problem with my wooden combs and brushes....just my BBB's.... but I bought tiny rakes to clean them.

lapushka
February 24th, 2019, 02:25 PM
Ylva, that is an amazing find!

Ylva
February 24th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Ylva, that is an amazing find!

Thank you! I didn't use it for a long time and pondered to myself "why did I waste money on that thing, I'll never use it". Then one day I decided to give it a shot and OMG'd at how nice it was. :D

Suortuva
February 24th, 2019, 03:57 PM
That thread has made me so curious. I don't even know if I ever have owned a comb of any kind... I have never understood combing. I only brush or finger comb. But, maybe I should try it... Why not? So strange that I haven't even thought about combs earlier.

*wants a wooden comb*

MusicalSpoons
February 24th, 2019, 04:08 PM
That thread has made me so curious. I don't even know if I ever have owned a comb of any kind... I have never understood combing. I only brush or finger comb. But, maybe I should try it... Why not? So strange that I haven't even thought about combs earlier.

*wants a wooden comb*

I actually used to hate combs, I felt they didn't do a thorough enough job and left my hair stringy, plus I hated the way it felt actually combing my hair (sensory input at the scalp) rather than brushing. However I started using a wooden comb in the hope it would distibrute oils and help me stretch washes (HUGE fail, nope not even a little bit!) but got used to having that level of control when detangling and just carried on using it even after giving up on trying to stretch washes. It does leave my hair 'stringy' still but I now understand that's called clumping and there's nothing wrong with it - and if I want it to look unclumped for a length shot or wearing it down somehow, I'll use my fine-toothed comb and/or my brush *after* detangling with my wide-toothed comb. The first time I used my brush since having my comb I could not believe how much it pulled, and the sound was awful :bigeyes: so now anything with finer teeth or bristles are for aesthetic reasons, not detangling!

meteor
February 24th, 2019, 04:10 PM

*wants a wooden comb*
^ Yeah, it might be worth checking out. ;) But then again, if the brush works, I'd stick with it. ;)
Many folks with textured hair in particular may avoid brushes, so then wide-tooth combs can work for detangling. I know I get extremely poofy hair even with the most hair texture-appropriate types of brushes. Many brushes just get stuck in my hair, hurt and pull and fly off if I try to push it through, so I definitely prefer wide-tooth combs. I can use the Tangle Teezer detangling brush (version for Thick, Curly & Afro-textured hair), but even then, I get extra poof and static.

I like the handle and shape and length of tines on afro picks the most for detangling, but I don't like them in plastic (they have seams and they snag and start breaking down too quickly). I want to find a wooden afro pick with wide spaced and long solid teeth, but I don't see them locally, and the ones I see online tend to be few and far between and pretty expensive. I don't know if there are any Etsy vendors for wooden picks and combs popular on the LHC?

Haven
March 3rd, 2019, 04:40 PM
I was thinking about a wooden comb before and this thread reminded me... so I ordered one finally and it came in the other day :o

As opposed to finger combing, it removes lint more effectively, but I also heard some scary snaps that I don't usually hear, so I don't know how much I'll be using it except maybe briefly pre-washing.

TatsuOni
March 4th, 2019, 08:10 AM
I was thinking about a wooden comb before and this thread reminded me... so I ordered one finally and it came in the other day :o

As opposed to finger combing, it removes lint more effectively, but I also heard some scary snaps that I don't usually hear, so I don't know how much I'll be using it except maybe briefly pre-washing.

Whenever I reach a knot, I use my fingers to detangle it and then I continue to comb my hair.

Mei_Lin
March 4th, 2019, 08:53 AM
Hmm it doesn't work so well for me! Brushing is quicker and easier for me (but sadly more damaging)

Natalia_A00
March 4th, 2019, 09:00 AM
Hmm it doesn't work so well for me! Brushing is quicker and easier for me (but sadly more damaging)

Same, I prefer brushing (my hair looks better). I use a wide tooth comb (but not wooden) and honestly it's really hard to remove all the knots and tangles. Maybe I should get a wooden one instead of a plastic one. I thought it would be enough with a wide tooth one.

vpatt
March 4th, 2019, 06:37 PM
So I dug out my wooden comb and I do like it! I really had never tried it because it is not very wide toothed...so I just ordered a wide tooth. I do like my bamboo brush but I haven't used it in a while...need to find it.

Julescarm
March 4th, 2019, 07:33 PM
Mine came in today. Its a set. Ornately carved. Sandlewood. I signed up for a free trial of Amazon prime and it came two days after I ordered it. I love them both. One wide tooth and one fine tooth. They were 30 dollars. A big splurge for me.

Kalamazoo
March 4th, 2019, 09:29 PM
^ Yeah, it might be worth checking out. ;) But then again, if the brush works, I'd stick with it. ;)
Many folks with textured hair in particular may avoid brushes, so then wide-tooth combs can work for detangling. I know I get extremely poofy hair even with the most hair texture-appropriate types of brushes. Many brushes just get stuck in my hair, hurt and pull and fly off if I try to push it through, so I definitely prefer wide-tooth combs. I can use the Tangle Teezer detangling brush (version for Thick, Curly & Afro-textured hair), but even then, I get extra poof and static.

I like the handle and shape and length of tines on afro picks the most for detangling, but I don't like them in plastic (they have seams and they snag and start breaking down too quickly). I want to find a wooden afro pick with wide spaced and long solid teeth, but I don't see them locally, and the ones I see online tend to be few and far between and pretty expensive. I don't know if there are any Etsy vendors for wooden picks and combs popular on the LHC?

Hi Meteor!

I bought several wood combs on eBay. I tried a bunch of different kinds of wood, looking for what I liked best. I really like several different kinds of wood, but if you just want to buy 1 comb, I'd suggest something like

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Natural-Jade-Sandalwood-Healthy-Hair-Comb-Brush-Detangler-Wide-Tooth-with-Handle/251708853325?epid=913376953&hash=item3a9b044c4d:g:-MYAAOSwbqpTsSzb

That type of wood has more than one name: lignum vitae, verawood, green sandalwood... But it's a heavy, oily wood, & yes, the combs I've bought in that wood really do glide through my hair.

Some wooden combs are carved into works of art:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-Art-Wood-Comb-Handmade-Carved-Natural-Green-Sandalwood-Exotic-Hair-Comb/323692920764?hash=item4b5d99ffbc:g:-mkAAOSwpclcY8Zw

ETA: Or maybe you'd like:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Static-Wide-Teeth-Green-Sandalwood-Massage-Comb-Detangler-for-Women-Men-/273738153838

Cate36
March 4th, 2019, 10:31 PM
How nice to hear that you've discovered a comb that works so well for you!

I actually had a similar experience recently. I started using a wide-tooth wooden comb on my hair on most days rather than my Wet Brush, and it is working just as well if not better. I still brush through my hair with the Wet Brush before washing my hair to get any and all knots and shed hairs out.

I use a wet brush all the time..it has wide flexible plastic bristles and I love it for my hair... http://www.bosssupply.com/wet-brush-pro-flex-dry-paddle/

milosmomma
March 5th, 2019, 01:54 AM
I've always been interested in a wooden comb and this thread is quickly convincing me I should try one out. Some good old enabling. I have been pretty happy with a cheap detangling comb I found at a discount store with 2 rows of teeth. I'm going to look for a wooden comb this shape, probably with one row of teeth only :lol: I don't think they wooden double row combs. My current comb is exactly like this but without the conair wording.
https://www.riteaid.com/shop/conair-styling-essentials-detangling-comb-style-detangle-1-comb-0344440?ra_group=gPLA30pct16&gclid=CjwKCAiA2fjjBRAjEiwAuewS_YrIhY7sWuQ9BKiXQ3E9 5-700m9B-sHlQJE2Me3Ck7IUoRG42XcaFhoCDPEQAvD_BwE

meteor
March 5th, 2019, 06:42 AM
I've always been interested in a wooden comb and this thread is quickly convincing me I should try one out. Some good old enabling. I have been pretty happy with a cheap detangling comb I found at a discount store with 2 rows of teeth. I'm going to look for a wooden comb this shape, probably with one row of teeth only :lol: I don't think they wooden double row combs. My current comb is exactly like this but without the conair wording.
https://www.riteaid.com/shop/conair-styling-essentials-detangling-comb-style-detangle-1-comb-0344440?ra_group=gPLA30pct16&gclid=CjwKCAiA2fjjBRAjEiwAuewS_YrIhY7sWuQ9BKiXQ3E9 5-700m9B-sHlQJE2Me3Ck7IUoRG42XcaFhoCDPEQAvD_BwE

Yes, I see these shapes often, but always in plastic. I've never seen them in wood. I'm curious about these. How does it compare to single row of teeth of similar spacing/dimensions? :)

Kalamazoo
March 5th, 2019, 10:26 AM
I saw a double-row wooden comb on eBay all of exactly once. I attempted to buy it, but the seller (overseas) said the shipping costs were too high & he refused to sell it to me (in the USA). I thought that very odd, since his other (single-row) combs shipped in the same size box.

Maybe we could create a demand for it by all searching online for it, & then some comb maker would decide there's a market for it & start to produce it?

Kalamazoo
March 5th, 2019, 10:52 AM
I did have problems with a couple of black sandalwood combs warping after I tried washing them with water. It seems impossible to me to keep the water contact time down to nondamaging.

So, rubbing with oil works.

My neem wood combs are all made of 2 pieces glued together. I think the oil dissolved the glue. But they're really great as long as they last! But I do look for wooden combs made all in one piece.

Also, I have some cherry wood combs. I like rubbing them with Captain's Choice Aftershave, the 45th Parallel flavor is cherry-scented. The aftershave contains alcohol, yes, but it seems to me to be a humectant type of alcohol. So long as the temperature's high enough so that the furnace isn't running & drying out the air (or I'm running a humidifier, or simmering water in a crockpot, or something), I don't hesitate to put Captain's Choice Aftershaves on my hair. I think that they help hair growth. I also think that about Thayer's Witch Hazel. (ETA: Both those products contain Glycerin, Alcohol, & Witch Hazel.)

So, my cherry wood combs, after I rub a few drops of cherry-scented aftershave on them, I rub them with cocoa butter. So they wind up smelling like chocolate-covered cherries.

ETA: The cherry wood seems to be another variety of sandalwood. When I dropped my first cherrywood comb on a hard tile floor, the broken wood smelled like cherries. Mine were made in China by a company called Sunflower. I can't seem to find them on eBay any more.

The subsequent cherrywood combs that I bought didn't seem to me to smell like cherries, so I started looking for a cherry oil to add to the wood. All the cherry oils I tried were too synthetic for me & bothered my allergies, so I really fell in love with Captain's Choice 45th Parallel Aftershave when I finally stumbled across it!

vpatt
March 8th, 2019, 05:04 AM
Got my new wood comb this week and I'm so happy!

blackgothicdoll
March 8th, 2019, 10:44 AM
I saw a double-row wooden comb on eBay all of exactly once. I attempted to buy it, but the seller (overseas) said the shipping costs were too high & he refused to sell it to me (in the USA). I thought that very odd, since his other (single-row) combs shipped in the same size box.

Maybe we could create a demand for it by all searching online for it, & then some comb maker would decide there's a market for it & start to produce it?

I have this one I got from Amazon - is this what you're referring to? I like it a lot, though I would not consider the bristles to be wide: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0772GWMNS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kalamazoo
March 14th, 2019, 03:42 AM
I have this one I got from Amazon - is this what you're referring to? I like it a lot, though I would not consider the bristles to be wide: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0772GWMNS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi Blackgothicdoll. Yes, I would consider that to be a wide-toothed comb, because if you measure the space between teeth in the same row, it's quite a wide gap. 16 teeth/3.6" = 4.4444444444 teeth/1".

I just counted the teeth on 6 of my fine-toothed combs (all single-row), and they each have either 8 or 10 teeth/inch. (Sandalwood or Ox Horn: 8/" ~ Lignum Vitae: 9/" ~ Neem wood: 10/")

I also have a Bamboo comb intended either for babies' hair or lice removal. It has 33 teeth/". Curiously, combing my hair with that comb makes my hair entirely STRAIGHT. So I hardly use it at all.

ETA: An ad for a comb similar to my baby comb:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Natural-Bamboo-Wooden-Lice-Comb-Narrow-Tooth-Wood-Combs-No-Static-Hair-Comb-DT/163572099722?hash=item2615a82a8a:m:mJogankCF08Y9Lf LVfKvT5Q

Haven
March 14th, 2019, 08:14 AM
Update: If I hold my new wooden comb and my hair in a particular careful way I don't see breakage with it :) I've been using it to thoroughly remove sheds as best I can before washing.

Kalamazoo
March 14th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Update: If I hold my new wooden comb and my hair in a particular careful way I don't see breakage with it :) I've been using it to thoroughly remove sheds as best I can before washing.

:disco: :joy: :applause :bottomsup: :puppykisses:

milosmomma
March 14th, 2019, 07:49 PM
I have been lurking this thread since it started, but didn't chime in because I have been using a plastic double row wide tooth comb(in addition to a TT and wet brush). But I caved and purchased a walnut wood comb a while ago from Lithuania so it finally came a few days ago and I am pretty smitten with it.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/664770216/walnut-comb-wooden-hair-comb-wood-comb?ref=shop_home
It feels great, it smells great and it leaves my hair shinier than I thought possible. It is made from american walnut which I thought was neat seeing as it's a Lithuanian vendor. I also ordered a wooden brush.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/667197238/wooden-hair-brush?ref=shop_home_active_4
The bristles are made from poplar wood, not sure if that makes a difference. I seen after ordering that it won't arrive for another 2-3 weeks so I ordered yet another wooden brush, this one made from sandalwood.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GF9QKGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This one just arrived today and it's also great. I don't know what the handle is made from or if it's coated in a resin but only the actual bristles have that sandalwood smell. They give you extra bristles in case you break some which I thought was a nice gesture.

I love this brush blackgothicdoll! I think I would like it better than the brush I picked out because the bristles will stay in place. Much better for scalp stimulation I think. How do you like that style? Do you find it more comb-like than brush?

blackgothicdoll
March 14th, 2019, 08:01 PM
I have been lurking this thread since it started, but didn't chime in because I have been using a plastic double row wide tooth comb(in addition to a TT and wet brush). But I caved and purchased a walnut wood comb a while ago from Lithuania so it finally came a few days ago and I am pretty smitten with it.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/664770216/walnut-comb-wooden-hair-comb-wood-comb?ref=shop_home
It feels great, it smells great and it leaves my hair shinier than I thought possible. It is made from american walnut which I thought was neat seeing as it's a Lithuanian vendor. I also ordered a wooden brush.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/667197238/wooden-hair-brush?ref=shop_home_active_4
The bristles are made from poplar wood, not sure if that makes a difference. I seen after ordering that it won't arrive for another 2-3 weeks so I ordered yet another wooden brush, this one made from sandalwood.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GF9QKGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This one just arrived today and it's also great. I don't know what the handle is made from or if it's coated in a resin but only the actual bristles have that sandalwood smell. They give you extra bristles in case you break some which I thought was a nice gesture.

I love this brush blackgothicdoll! I think I would like it better than the brush I picked out because the bristles will stay in place. Much better for scalp stimulation I think. How do you like that style? Do you find it more comb-like than brush?

Yes, I find it more comb like, though it's the perfect medium for detangling and removing shed hair. I like using my fingers or a wider wooden comb first, then that comb second and it's pretty gentle. I actually set aside my wooden brush and use that comb in it's place, so it kind of does go both ways but the fewer amount of bristles is a selling point for me.

milosmomma
March 14th, 2019, 08:29 PM
Yes, I find it more comb like, though it's the perfect medium for detangling and removing shed hair. I like using my fingers or a wider wooden comb first, then that comb second and it's pretty gentle. I actually set aside my wooden brush and use that comb in it's place, so it kind of does go both ways but the fewer amount of bristles is a selling point for me.
Do you only use it on dry hair or wet/damp or in the shower at all? Does anyone use a wood comb/brush in the shower or is it a big no no? I would assume if you oiled the wood first it would keep the water out mostly, as long as you're not totally submerging it. I've only used it dry so far just because I have a plastic one for wet anyways and wouldn't want to take an unnecessary chance.

Kalamazoo
March 15th, 2019, 12:33 PM
I would think an ox horn comb would stand up to water better than a wooden comb.

I don't think oil would adequately protect wood from water. Beeswax maybe? Or a polyurethane coat? But then we're talking about polyurethane making hair contact, which defeats the purpose.

I'm not into wood-working. My opinion's not the last word out there.

Beeboo123
March 15th, 2019, 01:46 PM
I use a boxwood comb that i keep in a ziploc baggie with oil, so i don’t have to apply the oil directly to my hair. I’ve never washed it, because i haven’t figured out how to. It’s not *supposed* to be washed, so i brush off any lint with a dry toothbrush. Kinda bugs me that i’ve never washed it though...

blackgothicdoll
March 15th, 2019, 03:46 PM
Do you only use it on dry hair or wet/damp or in the shower at all? Does anyone use a wood comb/brush in the shower or is it a big no no? I would assume if you oiled the wood first it would keep the water out mostly, as long as you're not totally submerging it. I've only used it dry so far just because I have a plastic one for wet anyways and wouldn't want to take an unnecessary chance.

I only use it on dry hair, and the only reason why is because it's a bit too rigid for my wet/damp hair. When my hair is wet, I prefer to use brushes with flexible bristles like a TT or a denman, just because of the current length of my hair, it bounces back on itself while being combed so something rigid could snag it and cause tearing/breakage.

A YouTuber I follow, who coincidentally has a similar hair type to mine, swears by using her wooden comb in the shower. The comb she uses is a wide-tooth one, though. So I don't think it's a big no no at all, most of her washing videos show her using it this way and she says the only change is that it has very slightly curved.

https://youtu.be/sgZkdeaxMI8

milosmomma
March 15th, 2019, 04:02 PM
I use a boxwood comb that i keep in a ziploc baggie with oil, so i don’t have to apply the oil directly to my hair. I’ve never washed it, because i haven’t figured out how to. It’s not *supposed* to be washed, so i brush off any lint with a dry toothbrush. Kinda bugs me that i’ve never washed it though...

I think the oil and wiping it down with the tooth brush would keep it sufficiently cleaned. Do you let the oil soak in a bit after taking the comb out of the oil before using it or use it basically dripping with oil? I've been just rubbing a light coating of oil but soaking it would probably "infuse" more oils into the wood instead of coating it.

Kalamazoo I think you're right about a horn or bone comb standing up better for shower use. If you coated your wood comb in polyeurethane it would most definitely defeat the purpose, you may as well use a plastic comb then :lol:

ETA: Blackgothicdoll, we must have been posting at the same time. Thank you for your reply. I understand about wanting something less rigid for wet detangling, I am partial to the TT and wet brush as well. But I have been using a rigid plastic comb lately because my products have been giving me enough slip to allow me to do so, and because cleaning out a wide tooth comb is easier than getting all the hairs/lint out of the wet brush and TT. Watching the video makes me want to try it out for sure. I think I would want a separate(cheaper) wood comb for the shower and keep my current comb for dry use only, just in case it were to crack or get some raised grains or I drop it in the slippery shower. You never know :lol:

meteor
March 16th, 2019, 08:36 AM
I only use it on dry hair, and the only reason why is because it's a bit too rigid for my wet/damp hair. When my hair is wet, I prefer to use brushes with flexible bristles like a TT or a denman, just because of the current length of my hair, it bounces back on itself while being combed so something rigid could snag it and cause tearing/breakage.

A YouTuber I follow, who coincidentally has a similar hair type to mine, swears by using her wooden comb in the shower. The comb she uses is a wide-tooth one, though. So I don't think it's a big no no at all, most of her washing videos show her using it this way and she says the only change is that it has very slightly curved.

https://youtu.be/sgZkdeaxMI8

Thanks for the video! :) That's the same comb that I use all the time (since BSL till calf length, so for many years now) and it looks exactly like that YouTuber's now - with the exact same slight curve and darkening of wood. However, I use mine on dry hair, so I wonder if the curve would occur eventually anyway, simply from opposition forces of repeatedly dragging a thin long object down through hair with all four fingers on top, and a thumb supporting at the bottom. Natural wood does have some flexibility/bending capacity to it, after all. :hmm:

By the way, while we are on the topic of the Body Shop comb, I found out that they also have this new wooden pick (https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-gb/hair/view-all/natural-curl-comb/p/p003200?clear=true) available, but I think it's only in the UK now? :hmm: I wonder what it would take for them to sell it abroad, as well? I checked with a store manager locally, and he said he hadn't seen them in "new releases".
I hope they realize it would likely be quite a popular product, if it's well made.

I really want a wooden pick (long tines are perfect for me) but I'd rather not buy detangling tools online, since I need to actually check the smoothness of the material and design and that can't be guaranteed online. For example, I heard that many of the Body Shop combs had splits/bad finish reportedly, but if you see the tool before buying, you should be fine.

Beeboo123
March 16th, 2019, 01:49 PM
It doesn’t come out “dripping in oil”, i put enough oil in the baggie so that the comb is just slightly oily, it doesn’t swim in the oil. Also, i’ve had it for such a long time, i think my comb is already saturated with oil, i don’t think i can infuse more into it. I also comb my hair with the same comb when it is freshly oiled, that probably does the same thing as rubbing oil into the comb? I’m not sure

I think the oil and wiping it down with the tooth brush would keep it sufficiently cleaned. Do you let the oil soak in a bit after taking the comb out of the oil before using it or use it basically dripping with oil? I've been just rubbing a light coating of oil but soaking it would probably "infuse" more oils into the wood instead of coating it.

milosmomma
March 17th, 2019, 12:44 AM
It doesn’t come out “dripping in oil”, i put enough oil in the baggie so that the comb is just slightly oily, it doesn’t swim in the oil. Also, i’ve had it for such a long time, i think my comb is already saturated with oil, i don’t think i can infuse more into it. I also comb my hair with the same comb when it is freshly oiled, that probably does the same thing as rubbing oil into the comb? I’m not sure
Yes I thought swimming in oil I'm sorry and was thinking I could infuse more oil in my comb by soaking like you, I feel like when I apply a light coating that alot evaporates. It's all probably soaking in I dont think oil evaporates completely anyway. I only use the comb after the oil coating has soaked in or evaporates and haven't used it with a sheen of oil on it which is what I meant by dripping in oil. I think I'd end up with a streak of oil that way.

meteor
March 17th, 2019, 07:29 AM
^ Oil evaporation is a pretty slow process, unless you are talking about essential oils (with aromatic and aliphatic compounds that are highly unstable and do evaporate, and that's what you smell on volatile oils - those molecules that evaporate).
Oils high in saturated fatty acids, with higher molecular weight (e.g. C14, C16) would evaporate extremely slowly (even at higher temperatures), so I think if you see them "disappear", they do simply seep into the micro pores/cracks of the wood, conditioning it. :)

I think a light coating (but applied with some regularity) is probably all that's needed. And well-coated wooden combs probably don't need much special care at all. I don't think I ever applied oil directly to my wooden comb, I just comb my own hair with it regularly and sometimes that hair is either lightly oiled or is naturally oily plus my hands must have some oil on them, too, and that seems to be enough. I just clean it with toothbrushes, toothpicks, folded tissues, nails, applying a bit of pressure to scrape off any sebum-y waxiness mixed with dust and cells. It doesn't get to "as new" condition, of course, which I think is expected with natural materials.

MusicalSpoons
March 19th, 2019, 08:07 AM
(Okay gremlins, shoo now - you've had more than enough time here! I want to see what meteor wrote.)

milosmomma
March 19th, 2019, 08:26 AM
That makes sense. I definitely think the wood cracks and crevices are drinking up the oil I put on :lol: Thank you for all the info meteor, definitely clears up some things. :)

The Lizard Wife
March 22nd, 2019, 07:55 PM
I agree! I love my wood combs! I switched from plastic because I absolutely couldn't stand the intense static anymore (and I was getting enabled by a friend LHCer ages before I joined...), and it works amazingly for that, even in horribly dry winter weather. But it also just feels so much nicer! I can't remember well enough how to describe it, but I absolutely remember gushing about how much nicer wood felt as I pulled it through my hair.

My comb hasn't gotten any dirty build-up yet, but I guess I'd probably just scrub at it with a dry toothbrush to clean any gunk off.

Finding a wooden comb was a bit of a challenge for me, though. For some reason my hair doesn't play nicely with wide-tooth combs? They're supposed to be great and gentle for detangling but...they never catch my knots properly and somehow make a bigger mess...? So I had to hunt to find ones with more, smaller teeth. But so worth it!

meteor
March 22nd, 2019, 08:00 PM
Finding a wooden comb was a bit of a challenge for me, though. For some reason my hair doesn't play nicely with wide-tooth combs? They're supposed to be great and gentle for detangling but...they never catch my knots properly and somehow make a bigger mess...? So I had to hunt to find ones with more, smaller teeth. But so worth it!
^ That's really interesting. :) I kind of always felt like the wider spaced the better, but I do still struggle with detangling, and your comment makes me wonder :hmm:, especially since we are both M/C iii. How many teeth/tines per inch/cm do you have or like to have on your comb then? :)

The Lizard Wife
March 22nd, 2019, 10:11 PM
^ That's really interesting. :) I kind of always felt like the wider spaced the better, but I do still struggle with detangling, and your comment makes me wonder :hmm:, especially since we are both M/C iii. How many teeth/tines per inch/cm do you have or like to have on your comb then? :)

Assuming I'm measuring properly, it's 8 teeth per inch on my current comb. And just eye-balling it, it looks like the proper, pleasing amount of teeth spacing I expect a comb to have.

My preference might be partly due to the fact that that kind of spacing is what I've been used to using for ages, but I'd swear that it's also just some weird thing about my hair. I wonder if it's also due to the fact that the tines are so much thicker on the wide-toothed wooden comb I got (which seems pretty standard)? I used to use a plastic wide-toothed comb for a while as a kid because my mom insisted, and I don't remember it being much of a problem at the time, and I know the tines weren't so blocky and wide.

meteor
March 23rd, 2019, 08:03 AM
^ Thanks so much, The Lizard Wife! :D Wow, that does sound like pretty high density of teeth. :)

My preference might be partly due to the fact that that kind of spacing is what I've been used to using for ages, but I'd swear that it's also just some weird thing about my hair. I wonder if it's also due to the fact that the tines are so much thicker on the wide-toothed wooden comb I got (which seems pretty standard)? I used to use a plastic wide-toothed comb for a while as a kid because my mom insisted, and I don't remember it being much of a problem at the time, and I know the tines weren't so blocky and wide.

^ Oh yes, great point. :agree: That actually might be it.
I also really don't like thick teeth and even thick sticks or forks with thick prongs, for that matter, because they don't slide through hair's density as easily. I found Afro picks to be awesome for thinner teeth specifically, but I haven't found high quality wide-spaced wooden ones locally yet... I've had really good experiences with big metal Afro picks (those with longer, 5''-long teeth (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5c/05/a0/5c05a0f210a29f1758ef1198d6ce6fea.jpg)), because the teeth are literally round thin wire that slides through thick hair like hot knife through butter, but unfortunately they do rust over time and the static is a problem and I don't know how gentle that can be on knots. Wood is a really nice material for my hair though.

Groovy Granny
March 23rd, 2019, 11:32 AM
My wood comb is suddenly not working well; the teeth are very thick as you mentioned and it just doesn't get through my fine wispiness.

I am thinking it may be more useful this Summer when I get my triple volume humid weather curl explosions.
The comb would help cut down on frizz and keep curl definition.

In the meantime, I am using my BBB Vented Wet Brush exclusively to detangle and style.
The mixed bristled help the BBB to reach the scalp easier; it blends my wispies and spreads the oils and serums I use on my ends throughout the length.