PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen the upcoming Biolage dye line that uses henna?

captainjanuary
February 20th, 2019, 09:18 AM
I can't find it referenced anywhere else but this hairdresser's social media, because it is "coming Fall 2019."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuG4E_VnjSu/

I'm really curious because I imagine it must be chemically-laced to work so quickly and have a variety of different, reliable shades. Of course that chemical henna is exactly what hairdressers have been complaining about for years and why it is hard to get a regular hair dresser to dye/bleach over my henna.

I also haven't seen them do it with true "no lift" since all of their example hair is bleached first (maybe how the color takes more quickly?).

What do you think?

lapushka
February 20th, 2019, 09:33 AM
Seems like the powder might be regular henna, but I don't like that they are bleaching the hair first - not one bit, and I doubt that is a necessary step.

But why not get regular BAQ henna at I'm sure half if not 1/4th of the price of this? :shrug:

captainjanuary
February 22nd, 2019, 11:08 AM
Seems like the powder might be regular henna, but I don't like that they are bleaching the hair first - not one bit, and I doubt that is a necessary step.

But why not get regular BAQ henna at I'm sure half if not 1/4th of the price of this? :shrug:

That's my thought. I tried to ask the hairdresser promoting it for clarification, but he obviously didn't respond with any more information.

I think it is deceptive marketing. It just seems like a way to get women to spend more money on something that is already a fairly cheap non-salon/home process without being upfront about the product itself. I wonder if they'll have interactions when the women who have it done eventually get more chemical salon services.

Chromis
February 22nd, 2019, 12:05 PM
Sounds like greenwashing. Like when companies add one drop of acai extract or whatever the latest thing is, but then you look at the ingredients and it is the very last thing on there.

Moondancer
February 22nd, 2019, 03:22 PM
I think it's funny that they say "no lift technology" and then bleach...lol

I'm not anti-bleach if people want to get certain colors or go lighter obviously, but be honest about what you are doing.

Henna Sooq
June 25th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Heya all! Super way long time. :) I hope you've all been well. It's hard to keep up with every forum, blog, youtube and everything I want to do and be apart of.

I've been doing some tracking on Biolage and came across this thread. So the super sad and kind of angry part about this, is that Biolage staff approached me and started questioning me and started picking my brain and at first I was super excited that this company was reaching out to us but then I started to get really suspicious...about all of their questions. What they were asking and the detailed information they were trying to get. They even wanted to meet with me even. They were going to come all the way from New York. I mean wow! I was happy honestly at first and thought maybe they wanted to work with me and all of this stuff.

Then I got so many different types of questions about our own processes that I wanted clarity. So I told in an email that I want to be clear that we are our own brand and that I want to make sure they aren't asking me these questions due to them basically trying to do their own line and then they slowly disconnected from me. They didn't want to meet anymore and they stopped communicating.

It just goes to show that big companies still try to and are taking from little businesses and experts who have started from the bottom and then moved up. It's sad when the big dollars will try to overpower the little guys. I've never had this experience before but it is what it is. These tests and trials are only to make us all better people and what I do is such a part of who I am and I love it. I wouldn't change anything.

I'll only keep trekking to be the better version of myself every day. Anyhow just wanted to share my story. Because our silences would really mean that people wouldn't have even known. We need to let our voices be heard.

xo, Khadija

captainjanuary
February 21st, 2020, 04:50 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you, Khadija.

I remembered this thread and, as time has passed, looked online for the ingredients of the Biolage line. It turns out they're all basically chemical dye with a little bit of cassia added in as a "diluter." I'm sure they used information from Henna Sooq to figure out how they could add natural ingredients to get the "natural" label to the line.

So expensive for what it is and marketed as "all natural." What a load of BS. Of course, it couldn't be anything other than traditional chemical dye if Biolage says that they can be lifted/dyed over/removed like any other chemical dye.

florenonite
February 22nd, 2020, 06:03 AM
I'm sorry that happened to you, Khadija. That kind of behaviour is really not on.

Sounds like greenwashing. Like when companies add one drop of acai extract or whatever the latest thing is, but then you look at the ingredients and it is the very last thing on there.

Yup, this was my thought.

Conventional dyes exist for a reason: because they can do things herbal dyes like henna can't. They lighten hair and give you the exact colour you're looking for. Henna gives you orange :p There's nothing wrong with using chemical dyes if you're aware of the risks but still choose it because you want a particular colour. But a line of conventional dyes that you're promoting as better because of henna is misleading, when if there's any henna at all it's going to be a miniscule amount, and the dye is still bleaching and all that other stuff.