PDA

View Full Version : Very frustrated

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 20th, 2019, 01:30 AM
Ive posted about my hair several times but I think I am going to just end up getting a large cut at the end of the month...
I am looking at my ends right now by the light of the computer and I have found 10+ split ends just looking for a few minutes.
I feel like that is a LOT to find in a single siting....
I just cut off 1" a month ago also, so I do NOT understand why my ends look this terrible.
I could cut off another inch and it would feel great again, but it feels like a month later, the hair will be breaking and splitting at the ends again.
And I am not going to sit here and s&d all the splits I find because there are so many imo that it would just make me feel more upset.

I do olaplex, I did ROO. I do deep treatments, I do LOC to maintain moisture.
I feel like I have tried everything... but coloring. Thats the only bad habit I have held onto and I think that is what is hindering my healthy hair.
It just does not seem to be getting better and I think I need to rid myself of the color before I will ever see any improvement.
I am going to eventually cut out all the black dye because I know I need to stop coloring. But...
At the end of the month I am getting my bangs cut back into my face and I am tempted to let her cut layers into my hair so that I can at least enjoy my hair, even if its not as healthy as I want right now.Eventually the hair will be cut as I grow out the dye so I am tempted to just go for it and give my hair some style until the dye is all gone.

I am afraid I am just stressing, and will get the layers in and then regret it when my hair feels thinner. I havent had a "proper" styled hair cut in 10yrs+ and have a hard time thinking about letting go of some inches... but I feel like I am at a point where I have no real choice... And I could cut a blunt cut in, but I am finding that blunt hair isnt really my style. I feel like with layers I at least have a chance to keep a little length...
I have been fighting it for so long, and I dont want to let go of the length, but it feels more like work than fun.
I am going to talk to the stylist, see if she can do what I need with minimal damage (no razor) but I feel like I need to let go because the hair is just frustrating me.

pailin
February 20th, 2019, 02:31 AM
If the frustration has been a while, and you're planning to cut out the dye eventually, then you're probably ready to just go for it. If you cut layers in, it would still be in hair you plan to grow out and cut off, right? Your hair ought to be something to enjoy, not stress over.

Begemot
February 20th, 2019, 03:26 AM
It sounds like you know what you want to do. I don't think it's a bad idea at all to experiment with your hair while you wait for the dye to grow out. Maybe avoid doing many changes at once though. Head over to the thread for those who are growing hair dye out, it's a very nice and supportive thread. Hopefully you can feel at ease about your hair as soon as possible.

Nini
February 20th, 2019, 03:44 AM
10+ split ends is nothing, some of us are just more prone to them. If I were gonna stress about that myself I'd have to go shaved all the time.

As for cutting in layers, is that something you really want and wanna care for, go for it. However if there are certain styles you're waiting to wear keep in mind that layers might make that more difficult. And right now it sounds like you're not quite sure.

Joules
February 20th, 2019, 03:48 AM
Hair is just hair. It grows back, it's not teeth :D so if it's been making you so upset for so long, I say go for a cut. Just don't forget the 2 week rule, maybe think about the style more carefully.

About layers: do you mean actual layers or just a deep V hemline/face-framing layers? Maybe the latter would be less dramatic of a change for you?

GrowlingCupcake
February 20th, 2019, 03:53 AM
If you are not happy with your hair, then it's definitely time for a change.

I don't remember if this was suggested but maybe using less products might work? I was doing LOC for a bit but found my hair does better with just L or just LO. I can always apply the C whenever I feel like I need it.

Either way, like Joules says, hair will grow back. Hopefully when it does, you will be happier with it :)

KlutzyChy1
February 20th, 2019, 05:28 AM
How often do you dye your hair & how far down do you place the dye?
I'm also growing out my hair but can't seem to give up the black dye either, so I've colored my hair throughout the hair growing process (not the first year, but this past year).

I try to leave my hair alone as long as I can (when my my roots start to become fairly noticeable, probably every 3 or 4 months) & I dye ONLY the roots.

I wash my hair every other day (using medicated shampoos) but I use the loreal color safe conditioner as well. I put on my shampoo, lather that up, and then put on the conditioner while the shampoo is still sitting on my scalp, and I let both of those sit for 3ish minutes. I do that twice. This way, the shampoo won't strip as much from my length since the conditioner acts like a barrier. & Doing it this way helps my color hold up fairly well. A little brown may peek through in the sunlight, but considering how frequently I wash it & what products I have to use, I don't think that's too bad. Perhaps that's something you could try?

lithostoic
February 20th, 2019, 05:47 AM
10 split ends is not the end of the universe. With fine hair it is next to impossibls to not have any splits. Your hair is still going to grow whether there are splits or not. That being said, it's your hair, do whatever makes you happy. Stop trying to justify your decision to us!

spidermom
February 20th, 2019, 07:33 AM
Have fun looking at hair styles and deciding what you like.

I never could get ahead of my split ends, either. I really enjoyed the change of short hair, and now that I've decided to grow it long again, I try to never-ever look at the ends. If it's going to split down there, I don't want to know. haha

lapushka
February 20th, 2019, 07:58 AM
Didn't you still have a lot of damage from dye? At least, I remember when you first came to LHC that you told us about that. It takes a long long long time to grow out. And you can't fix that with anything. :( Unfortunately.

Maybe do a 2 inch trim, and see how you fare. It has to come out slowly, don't rush things, 1 to 2 inches is going to make a difference, I'm willing to bet. Stay positive! :flower: It's not called "a journey" for nothing.

cjk
February 20th, 2019, 08:54 AM
Tell me about your scissors.

If you're not getting a clean cut, that can encourage splitting by crushing the ends.

Ten really is a trivial amount. But if you've noticed a correlation between cutting and splitting, look at your shears.

lapushka
February 20th, 2019, 09:29 AM
cjk, if I'm not mistaken, she just got new ones. :flower: *If* I'm not mistaken!!! Mind you I can't remember everything. :lol:

Maybe it's the length you get to that is just getting to be too overwhelming for you, and you reached your "comfy" spot and keep wanting to cut back? Could it be that?

Dark40
February 20th, 2019, 09:38 AM
I agree with KlutzyChy1. How far down do you bring the dye? Are you re-dyeing the ends? I can't stay away from dyeing my hair either, and am not planning to as I am growing out my hair. I only dye mine 3 or 4 times a year. It's been a while for me since I've dyed my hair. But yes, the hair is still going to grow whether you have the splits or not.

MusicalSpoons
February 20th, 2019, 10:08 AM
Adding to the chorus of '10 splits is nothing' for me ;) and I don't even dye my hair.

However, you should do with your hair whatever makes you happy - just please be sure it is going to at least make you happier with your hair before you do it :flower:

akurah
February 20th, 2019, 10:48 AM
I can find probably over 20, maybe 50, splits in a matter of minutes. I usually leave them alone.

I like layers in my hair, but I like them long and shallow. I prefer to have my shortest layers no shorter than apl though because my hair misbehaves when it's shorter than that.

Last time I cut my hair though, back to waist from knee, I was madder than a wet hen when I realized what I had done. If finances permit two cuts, I would recommend cutting off half of what you are planning (for example, if you are planning 10 inches, do 5 instead, and if after a month you want to go shorter, get the rest done)

elfynity
February 20th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Rebecca,

Looks like you can only choose one: dyed hair or healthy hair. Cut off whatever you can so that your ends are fresh again, whether that is layered or blunt. Are you trying to grow your hair, or are you maintaining where you are?

Katsura
February 20th, 2019, 11:26 AM
Looks like you can only choose one: dyed hair or healthy hair.
This was the deal for me too. When I used to dye my hair with chemical dyes, and I've dyed my hair for so long, I could never grow healthy long hair. My hair just wore out because of the dye. I have got a habit that I think is related to my trichotillomania, when I get loose strands of hair I always roll them up to a tiny knot between my fingers, before I toss them out. One time I noticed the strands of my hair turn white as I was rolling them, and they soon disintegrated into these white flakes between my fingers. That's when I realized what chemical dyes were doing to my hair. With henna and other herbal dyes it does not happen though.

sophia_
February 20th, 2019, 12:16 PM
If you have a lot of fine hair, you might notice a lot more splits than you think is normal, but I think that's just because of how many hairs you are looking at. I know that for me, a tiny section will have hundreds of hairs, and I see 10 splits and worry, but I see how many hairs there are and it seems more reasonable. Microtrimming is the best way I've found for thickening the hemline and getting rid of damage without having to deal with a big change, but I have heat/mechanical damage, which might be different from dye damage.

MoonRabbit
February 20th, 2019, 12:54 PM
I don't even have fine hair and I can easily find more than 10 splits with a glance. This is even just after maintaining for 6 months. To me, it's just in the nature of long hair.

But if they are limiting your journey and your happiness then there is nothing wrong with a change. Good luck

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 21st, 2019, 02:08 AM
Hair is just hair. It grows back, it's not teeth :D so if it's been making you so upset for so long, I say go for a cut. Just don't forget the 2 week rule, maybe think about the style more carefully.

About layers: do you mean actual layers or just a deep V hemline/face-framing layers? Maybe the latter would be less dramatic of a change for you?

I want my hair cut like this:
https://i.postimg.cc/05JXKPh7/49566415-536169240235098-6967293822431670559-n.jpg

I need all over layers, the longer my hair grew, the heavier the roots have gotten and my face is constantly dragged down by the length.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 21st, 2019, 02:10 AM
How often do you dye your hair & how far down do you place the dye?
I'm also growing out my hair but can't seem to give up the black dye either, so I've colored my hair throughout the hair growing process (not the first year, but this past year).

I try to leave my hair alone as long as I can (when my my roots start to become fairly noticeable, probably every 3 or 4 months) & I dye ONLY the roots.

I wash my hair every other day (using medicated shampoos) but I use the loreal color safe conditioner as well. I put on my shampoo, lather that up, and then put on the conditioner while the shampoo is still sitting on my scalp, and I let both of those sit for 3ish minutes. I do that twice. This way, the shampoo won't strip as much from my length since the conditioner acts like a barrier. & Doing it this way helps my color hold up fairly well. A little brown may peek through in the sunlight, but considering how frequently I wash it & what products I have to use, I don't think that's too bad. Perhaps that's something you could try?

Maybe every 2-3 months and only at the roots, I only really drag the dye down every 6 months or so, if I notice the color is drastically fading but for the post part its roots only.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 21st, 2019, 02:14 AM
Have fun looking at hair styles and deciding what you like.

I never could get ahead of my split ends, either. I really enjoyed the change of short hair, and now that I've decided to grow it long again, I try to never-ever look at the ends. If it's going to split down there, I don't want to know. haha

I just feel like I have been here so long, constantly avoiding everything I really use to like doing with my hair and LHC has recently been more of a chore to keep up with/use. I really love being here, and doing all the hair things, but its just not as fun anymore? Not like it was when I was shorter lengths. I dont really know why.
Maybe I am just too long and TBL isnt realistic for my personality.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 21st, 2019, 02:15 AM
Tell me about your scissors.

If you're not getting a clean cut, that can encourage splitting by crushing the ends.

Ten really is a trivial amount. But if you've noticed a correlation between cutting and splitting, look at your shears.

i use Japanese stainless steel shears. They are like new, maybe a year old at best, only used on hair.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 21st, 2019, 02:18 AM
I can find probably over 20, maybe 50, splits in a matter of minutes. I usually leave them alone.

I like layers in my hair, but I like them long and shallow. I prefer to have my shortest layers no shorter than apl though because my hair misbehaves when it's shorter than that.

Last time I cut my hair though, back to waist from knee, I was madder than a wet hen when I realized what I had done. If finances permit two cuts, I would recommend cutting off half of what you are planning (for example, if you are planning 10 inches, do 5 instead, and if after a month you want to go shorter, get the rest done)

Well with layers I dont intend to actually cut off specific amounts. Thats why I like layers, because I can keep my overall length, but hairs will get cut and damage will slowly be cut out as eventually a layer will be cut up high enough that it cuts some strands with damage but not all of them.

I def dont plan to lose more than 2" in overall length.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 21st, 2019, 02:20 AM
I don't even have fine hair and I can easily find more than 10 splits with a glance. This is even just after maintaining for 6 months. To me, it's just in the nature of long hair.

But if they are limiting your journey and your happiness then there is nothing wrong with a change. Good luck

The problem is that the hairs snap off, they are preventing me from passing this length. I have been stuck floating somewhere between waist and hip for the last 6 months. Some splits are pretty high up and I think they will eventually cause me bigger problems.

spidermom
February 21st, 2019, 08:47 AM
Sometimes a person just needs a change. I think it's refreshing.

ReadingRenee
February 22nd, 2019, 03:27 PM
I like the hair cut layer change that you posted. It looks like long hair with some character, if you know what I mean. It also looks like it would be really flattering for you. It sounds like you know what you want to do. I am sorry you are still so frustrated with your hair. I definitely agree that enjoying your hair is really important.

Good luck with your decision!

spidermom
February 22nd, 2019, 04:29 PM
I just saw the pictures you posted, and I think her ends look, well, kind of terrible - thin and dried out. Since you've complained about your ends, I wonder what makes you like these ends.

milosmomma
February 22nd, 2019, 06:34 PM
Have you thought about trying a compact cut on yourself? You would be in control of how much you take off and can start very modest and see how you feel after say an inch, reassess and take more if unhappy. It's the kind of cut where you pony tail your hair at the forehead and it give plenty of layers. I have done it in the past and loved the cut but am just letting my hair do it's thing these days. There's tons of tutorials on youtube and I believe I have seen lapushka(?) mention that she uses this method as well.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 23rd, 2019, 01:23 AM
I just saw the pictures you posted, and I think her ends look, well, kind of terrible - thin and dried out. Since you've complained about your ends, I wonder what makes you like these ends.

I just want the bangs, her hair looks very damaged from bleaching.
Layering would look more like this sort of? It was hard to find a picture of exactly what I am asking for.
https://i.postimg.cc/RhF5XZZR/49503232-2244576035802436-8166947163657903802-n.jpg

I want a very texturized baby bang with layers, sort of like this but longer.
Theres a girl here in portland that specializes in these kind of cuts, she primarily works with curly hair which is more of my hair type.
https://www.instagram.com/goodbyehorsegirl/?hl=en

I have an appointment march 1st to get my bangs cut but I think I might ask if she has time for a full hair cut.

poli
February 23rd, 2019, 01:30 AM
I love this long shag hairstyles with bangs! You got the texture for it :)

Begemot
February 23rd, 2019, 05:19 AM
I love those baby bangs :agree: and I agree with spidermom, sometimes you just need a change.

leayellena
February 23rd, 2019, 08:36 AM
Ive posted about my hair several times but I think I am going to just end up getting a large cut at the end of the month...
I am looking at my ends right now by the light of the computer and I have found 10+ split ends just looking for a few minutes.
I feel like that is a LOT to find in a single siting....
I just cut off 1" a month ago also, so I do NOT understand why my ends look this terrible.
I could cut off another inch and it would feel great again, but it feels like a month later, the hair will be breaking and splitting at the ends again.
And I am not going to sit here and s&d all the splits I find because there are so many imo that it would just make me feel more upset.

I do olaplex, I did ROO. I do deep treatments, I do LOC to maintain moisture.
I feel like I have tried everything... but coloring. Thats the only bad habit I have held onto and I think that is what is hindering my healthy hair.
It just does not seem to be getting better and I think I need to rid myself of the color before I will ever see any improvement.
I am going to eventually cut out all the black dye because I know I need to stop coloring. But...
At the end of the month I am getting my bangs cut back into my face and I am tempted to let her cut layers into my hair so that I can at least enjoy my hair, even if its not as healthy as I want right now.Eventually the hair will be cut as I grow out the dye so I am tempted to just go for it and give my hair some style until the dye is all gone.

I am afraid I am just stressing, and will get the layers in and then regret it when my hair feels thinner. I havent had a "proper" styled hair cut in 10yrs+ and have a hard time thinking about letting go of some inches... but I feel like I am at a point where I have no real choice... And I could cut a blunt cut in, but I am finding that blunt hair isnt really my style. I feel like with layers I at least have a chance to keep a little length...
I have been fighting it for so long, and I dont want to let go of the length, but it feels more like work than fun.
I am going to talk to the stylist, see if she can do what I need with minimal damage (no razor) but I feel like I need to let go because the hair is just frustrating me.

I don't know if it helps you change your mind but I don't have any split ends since 2 months! None. NADA. It's because I oil my hair every day with Argan or coconut oil.
Sometimes I condition the ends after oiling.
Could it be the way you brush/comb your hair...
Because I found a new method how to comb (not brush!!!) frizzy hair (oops! I think it could be good to show it in a tutorial):
1. Gather your hair in front of your face. Trust me, you have more control over your hair and hands this way.
2. Shed all the hairs. Like you would do the praying hands method without conditioner.
3. Twist all your hair as you prepare to make a cinnamon bun.
4. Starting from the ends, comb (not brush) your hair. Slowly unfold your hair keeping the rest tight in your other hand. While you comb.
5. you will find difficult to comb your hair at a certain point/Length. From now on we change the rules: Don't comb from the top to the ends, just do the praying hands method. I find difficult to stop hair from knoting if I comb it in one stroke. If you look at the women with knee or longer you will see they never comb hair in one stroke. The whole thing is just a demo stroke but not really combing/detangling hair.
6. When you flip your hair back don't touch it. It will lay back normally in few minutes.
My ends look terrible because of layering but I don't care as I never wear my hair down in public. It would look a superb if ponytailed but I don't wear ponytails either. I don't have punny buns anymore since my taper has grown to bsl.
Yes, colouring could be the culprit. Try henna, hendigo or cassia. Layers get damaged quicklier than fairytale ends. Be careful... Hairdressers really damaged my hair. And I didn't ever use chemicals on my hair. Their practices are simply cringy. You could have your hair more damaged than it is now. #justsayin

MusicalSpoons
February 23rd, 2019, 08:48 AM
Well with layers I dont intend to actually cut off specific amounts. Thats why I like layers, because I can keep my overall length, but hairs will get cut and damage will slowly be cut out as eventually a layer will be cut up high enough that it cuts some strands with damage but not all of them.

I def dont plan to lose more than 2" in overall length.

Ooh, I'd never thought of layers in that way - interesting! I know you've posted about not liking your ends looking thin so initially I was slightly puzzled, because with layers your ends will look and *be* thin - but actually maybe that's different, because it's intentional? Whatever you go for, I really hope that your new style will help you enjoy your hair again :flowers: I'm looking forward to seeing the results :D

spidermom
February 23rd, 2019, 09:03 AM
O.k., I get it. Go for it! If you don't love the change, at least you'll learn something about yourself.

lapushka
February 23rd, 2019, 09:28 AM
Looks like you made up your mind.

You could try the compact cut method. It gives me layers from FTL to hip. When it was shorter and about TBL, the shortest layer was APL. If you go even shorter, that is about exactly the type of "shag", rocker dude cut you'll get, but it will be quite a bit shorter in length when you do want the bangs.

You basically make a ponytail on the top of your forehead and snip a bit off. You can go slow with it as well, which is what I would recommend.

But it's up to you; might be better if you go have it done!!! If you're not comfortable cutting your hair, with the risk of cutting it to bits (I WARNED YOU), then this is not for you!!!

milosmomma
February 23rd, 2019, 10:53 AM
So I dug up some pics of the compact cut I did 2016 because the results look similar to the instagram page you linked. I gathered all my hair in front and cut to about chin, i was ridding myself of damage so I wasn't too worried about how much I was losing. If you want to make sure you dont lose length just dont add your lowest longest layer to th ponytail to begin with.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35649&d=1550943920
Freshly after the cut, my hair was too silky straight to really see all the layers but boy it felt great.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35650&d=1550943937
After a wash with the wave pattern you can see all the layers. At first the longest bits were to waist in the back but i trimmed up to about bsl/apl because it was too much of a V for me so I took it to a U.

Not sure if it's helpful to you but maybe someone will find it interesting <3

ETA the fish was immediately released after photo op

sumidha
February 23rd, 2019, 11:20 AM
Those are super cute hair cuts, and hair is for making you happy, I say go for it.

The only down side I see is that once those extreme layers are cut in it will be pretty darn difficult to get split ends, since your hair will be so many lengths.

lapushka
February 23rd, 2019, 11:26 AM
Those are super cute hair cuts, and hair is for making you happy, I say go for it.

The only down side I see is that once those extreme layers are cut in it will be pretty darn difficult to get split ends, since your hair will be so many lengths.

If you compact cut on longer lengths, that is less of an issue. TBL-APL as a length - at APL splits are quite easy to get already. But a cut to hip for instance, you will be left with a very short stub of a ponytail.

If you cut the tail up to your forehead, you'll be about shoulder! So don't even... I just say be wary, that's all.

And if you do decide to do it yourself, do it in increments!

spidermom
February 23rd, 2019, 03:21 PM
Wow milosmomma, I love the photo of your hair with the fish. I almost want to do this but without the bangs.

Cate36
February 23rd, 2019, 03:41 PM
You look beautiful! And your hair looks SO silky.. Amazing XXX

But one question, if you want to keep dyeing. why not indigo/henna which won't damage your hair?

lapushka
February 23rd, 2019, 03:56 PM

But one question, if you want to keep dyeing. why not indigo/henna which won't damage your hair?

I think it might be indigo... no? If not I'm mixing Rebecca up with someone else. Things like that happen to me. LOL! :o

Ylva
February 23rd, 2019, 03:59 PM
I understood that it was box dye in particular. But I could be wrong. :shrug:

Rowdy
February 23rd, 2019, 04:10 PM
If I'm remembering right she had Indigo first and then went to dye. I think at one point the indigo was suspect for dryness and damage too.

I went to the IG link and those look like really well done shag cuts. About 2.5 ish years ago I did a compact cut on myself to help with getting dye damaged ends off while keeping the length. It worked very well for that though I was not a fan of the ponytail cut, I think it would have been better done with a stylist.

lapushka
February 23rd, 2019, 04:36 PM
If I'm remembering right she had Indigo first and then went to dye. I think at one point the indigo was suspect for dryness and damage too.

I went to the IG link and those look like really well done shag cuts. About 2.5 ish years ago I did a compact cut on myself to help with getting dye damaged ends off while keeping the length. It worked very well for that though I was not a fan of the ponytail cut, I think it would have been better done with a stylist.

Yes, that was my thought too; that she talked about indigo being in there as well. :hmm:

And most certainly, that compact cut is not for everyone, hence my warning. It is fine on longer lengths, but on short... IDK it can get a little "much". You have to be daring to do it on hair shorter than waist, with the risk of totally ruining your hair! :(

I would go to a stylist as well, since she feels bad about it already. Don't do it to yourself, Rebecca! I know I do my hair that way, but I have done this for so many years, done it short, done it long, and... I did not much like it short (I had bangs and shoulder length and the waves didn't help, I looked like I stepped out of the 80s, from a music video). LOL!

milosmomma
February 23rd, 2019, 04:37 PM
Wow milosmomma, I love the photo of your hair with the fish. I almost want to do this but without the bangs.

Aww, thank you so much! Yes, I always want bangs but then shortly after cutting I always let the grow back out :lol: Especially summer when it's hot they get greasy so fast. At that time my bangs were exactly lined up with my demarcation line so I really just wanted them so I could have a chunk of fully virgin hair. I appreciate your complement spidermom <3

Longlegs
February 23rd, 2019, 04:58 PM
I just feel like I have been here so long, constantly avoiding everything I really use to like doing with my hair and LHC has recently been more of a chore to keep up with/use. I really love being here, and doing all the hair things, but its just not as fun anymore? Not like it was when I was shorter lengths. I dont really know why.
Maybe I am just too long and TBL isnt realistic for my personality.

Sometimes their is'nt any more we can do but accept it. Even when my hair was dyed with henna and indigo, never heat styled, regularly trimmed etc...I still had split ends. it's very porous and I also get mid shaft splits. I'm not sure if it's going to get worse when I grow it longer. I'm just treating as well as I can. have you tried semi permanent vegetable based dyes like manic Panic, Directions etc..? they all have black in their range of colours and cause no damage.

spidermom
February 23rd, 2019, 06:04 PM
I was not a fan of the ponytail cut, I think it would have been better done with a stylist.

The hell of it is that there has been no shortage of "misunderstandings" with stylists. It often sounds like the stylist completely ignores what the customer is asking for and cuts something else entirely. I have come to believe that some stylists believe they know best what will suit a customer and ignores what they're being told.

Rowdy
February 23rd, 2019, 06:18 PM
The hell of it is that there has been no shortage of "misunderstandings" with stylists. It often sounds like the stylist completely ignores what the customer is asking for and cuts something else entirely. I have come to believe that some stylists believe they know best what will suit a customer and ignores what they're being told.

Yeah that's why I didn't go in to get mine done, I just haven't ever been able to get what I want from a stylist... I stopped going to my mom's hair stylist when she would always cut my hair the same way when I asked differently. I thought I found one that did what I wanted but then she couldn't replicate the same cut on me. I think you have a better chance of getting what you want if you find someone that does a 'look' and that look is what you want.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 24th, 2019, 12:53 AM
:shrug: I trust her, I am going to a stylist and getting the shag cut. I have no desire to get anything "compact".
And I most def will not cut my hair myself. Lol.

Suortuva
February 24th, 2019, 01:07 AM

Just to mention... Henna & Indigo, hendigo can definitely damage hair. I have similar experience as Longlegs. I'm growing out both hendigo and henna and that part of my hair is totally ruined, dry and splitting. I think it maybe has to do with hair type. My hair is very fragile and damage prone and porous too, I think.

So I thought that might be good to know, even herbs can ruin hair.

Rebecca, good luck with new style! I'm sure you will enjoy it. I checked the link and really loved that kind of style. Waiting to see pics!

milosmomma
February 24th, 2019, 02:54 AM
I'm glad you have a trusted stylist and I would love to see your new haircut once you get it done :)

lapushka
February 24th, 2019, 05:09 AM
I'm glad you have a trusted stylist and I would love to see your new haircut once you get it done :)

Same! ^^

When are you having it done? Any concrete plans yet?

curly girl fla
February 24th, 2019, 06:49 AM
I just want to say that I always think your hair is gorgeous, and it will be no matter what you do. Much luck with the cut. I love the shag look; in fact, you inspired me, somewhat impulsively, to google how-tos and yesterday I did some chopping to my almost wl hair. I kept it longish bsl in the back, and really liked the result, but that was on combed, no-product hair. I'm scared to see how my curls turn out. But either way, I needed something and thank you for the motivation. Please post lots of pictures! :blossom:

spidermom
February 24th, 2019, 08:59 AM
I'm looking forward to pictures of the new style, too. I hope you get exactly what you want and love it.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 24th, 2019, 07:27 PM
Same! ^^

When are you having it done? Any concrete plans yet?

My appointment is march 1st. Well see, it really depends on if she can achieve the cut without using a razor or not.
As most shag cuts require a razor and a razor will only further the splits/problem.
If shes willing to cut my hair without one, then ill let her. I know its a bit of a debate wheather its true or not!
Some say its only an issue if the stylist doesnt use a sharp enough razor - Personally, I do think razors cause more problems imo.
Otherwise then I will just be getting my bangs done! We will see.

curly girl fla
March 5th, 2019, 06:34 PM
Sooooo? Did you get your non-razor shag cut? Would love to see it :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 10th, 2019, 07:41 PM
So I ended up having her cut it, i was going to let her razor all of it but she wouldnt cut the whole head because she was fully booked and didnt have time. So i was like "ok thats fine. ill just get on the computer later and book for april or something!" and just had her cut my bangs, which was fine... i get home to book for a full cut and her rate went from 100$ to 150$ and i just cannot afford that price hike. So i ended up cutting my hair myself lmao. I know i said i wouldnt, i wanted to have a pro do it, because its less of a hassle but i just ended up using some shears and a razor and cutting it myself.

https://i.postimg.cc/BvTFXZX6/IMG-3434.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/pdb8W5V4/IMG-3432.jpg

I actually cut out twice as much hair as I showed in this picture, so yes, loss of thickness BUT the length is the same, i have loss no length this way, but i have now just cut out large chunks of dye and damage out while also giving my hair some style. Even after cutting it, i was still seeing a lot of splits, but I am happy with it now. I dont feel bored with my hair, I can wake up, detangle and im happy with my hair. its not flat and boring and i am not staring at the mirror endlessly trying to figure out how to style my hair, i find hair sticks and toys unfortunately boring/unattractive so. This is just how i am.
I think i just realized this is how i like my hair to be and will keep my hair like this until more of the dye is gone.

school of fish
March 10th, 2019, 08:13 PM
So I ended up having her cut it, i was going to let her razor all of it but she wouldnt cut the whole head because she was fully booked and didnt have time. So i was like "ok thats fine. ill just get on the computer later and book for april or something!" and just had her cut my bangs, which was fine... i get home to book for a full cut and her rate went from 100$ to 150$ and i just cannot afford that price hike. So i ended up cutting my hair myself lmao. I know i said i wouldnt, i wanted to have a pro do it, because its less of a hassle but i just ended up using some shears and a razor and cutting it myself.

I actually cut out twice as much hair as I showed in this picture, so yes, loss of thickness BUT the length is the same, i have loss no length this way, but i have now just cut out large chunks of dye and damage out while also giving my hair some style. Even after cutting it, i was still seeing a lot of splits, but I am happy with it now. I dont feel bored with my hair, I can wake up, detangle and im happy with my hair. its not flat and boring and i am not staring at the mirror endlessly trying to figure out how to style my hair, i find hair sticks and toys unfortunately boring/unattractive so. This is just how i am.
I think i just realized this is how i like my hair to be and will keep my hair like this until more of the dye is gone.

I love it!!!

lithostoic
March 10th, 2019, 08:28 PM
It looks really cute!!

Beeboo123
March 10th, 2019, 09:29 PM
It looks good on you, i wouldn’t have guessed that you cut it yourself

milosmomma
March 10th, 2019, 09:59 PM
I love it too. And it's so great that you did it yourself and can trim up whenever you feel like (and for free!) I'm happy for you, I adore it on you.

Suortuva
March 10th, 2019, 10:46 PM
Wow, well done! It looks amazing! I'm so happy for you :D

Begemot
March 11th, 2019, 02:48 AM
It looks great! I especially like those bangs on you. You're happy with your hair and that's what matters.

Ylva
March 11th, 2019, 02:49 AM
Your hair turned out awesome! :)

spidermom
March 11th, 2019, 06:43 AM
Wow - congrats on finding hair satisfaction; enjoy.

lapushka
March 11th, 2019, 09:18 AM
Well I think it looks fantastic. You did a great job. $150 for a haircut? You have got to be kidding! I would not pay that either!

Simpscone
March 11th, 2019, 09:21 AM
You did a great job yourself, I'm gad you are feeling much better about your hair and didn't have to spend so much money!

curly girl fla
March 13th, 2019, 07:39 PM
It looks wonderful! Glad you're happy. :)

ReadingRenee
March 15th, 2019, 07:39 PM
Wow! That haircut/style really suits you. The bangs and the layers look great! glad you are happy with your hair again, that is such a wonderful feeling. :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 15th, 2019, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys,.

Dark40
March 16th, 2019, 03:24 PM

Your hair cut came out fantastic! I think it's a lot easier and cheaper if you do it yourself. You know how much you want, and you don't have to pay a hairdresser that you can't afford to just cut your hair the way you want it. I also love the bangs! I've just cut my bangs with some sharp regular scissors too. At least you didn't lose length. You've just cut away the damage. I'm glad that you are happy with your hair.

vpatt
March 16th, 2019, 05:05 PM
I think it is sooo becoming on you and to be able to do it yourself is a huge plus!

Aunt Rapunzel
March 16th, 2019, 05:21 PM
You did a really great job! And that cut looks lovely on you!

Servana
March 16th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Your cut looks awesome ☺️

I know what you mean. I wear my hair down 24/7 and I really just like to brush and go, so my hair needs to be easily manageable.

cjk
March 16th, 2019, 09:29 PM
That haircut came out so nice. You look very cool. My first impression was rocker chic, you've got kind of a Joan Jett vibe.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 17th, 2019, 01:41 PM
That haircut came out so nice. You look very cool. My first impression was rocker chic, you've got kind of a Joan Jett vibe.

Yeah when i had a pixie, people would walk up to me at the post office to tell me I looked like "the girl with the dragon tattoo"
Im a tattoo artist so i guess it fits lol

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 17th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Your cut looks awesome ☺️

I know what you mean. I wear my hair down 24/7 and I really just like to brush and go, so my hair needs to be easily manageable.

Honestly cutting out the hair and putting in the layers has made the hair more manageable because theres less hair to get knotted up..
i wore a beanie yesterday and yes the hair at my nape tangled but it wasnt a 3" thick knot like it was before... i had so much hair i think it needed to be cut out lol