PDA

View Full Version : How to sleep with long hair?

Starchild494
February 19th, 2019, 06:26 AM
I have get to find the beat way to sleep with my wish length hair. I usually sleep with a French braid but I'm not a can of the waves after. I also bun it on too of my head but I get knots all around my bun, wven though I have a will pillow case. So are there any other ways I can put my hair when sleeping?

lapushka
February 19th, 2019, 07:44 AM
I am FTL+ right now (+1 inch), because we are 2 months into the year and I started FTL clean at year's start. But anyway (LOL)... I still sleep with it loose. I fold it underneath my head a few times, and I barely move throughout the night. So it's what works for me.

If you move a lot, I would loosely English braid (low braid), veeery loosely. I would not put a tighter braid like a French one or Dutch one in as you may cause breakage by moving around and on a tighter style it kind of can do that.

I will be curious to see what people come up with.

A sleep bonnet might be a good fit!

gossamer
February 19th, 2019, 07:47 AM
A braid has always worked best for me. I don't do a French braid, just a simple English one. But since you really don't want braidwaves, I agree with lapushka that perhaps a sleep cap of some kind is the best option for you.

spitfire511
February 19th, 2019, 07:49 AM
Like lapushka - I generally sleep with mine down as well - and move it with me if I happen to move in the night (though that's not a ton).

I cannot sleep in a single braid or bun as I get head/neckaches but can do well with two loose pigtail braids if I feel it's needed. (Also with you in not really looking for the braid waves.)

Sarahlabyrinth
February 19th, 2019, 08:20 AM
I wear a silk sleep bonnet - very comfortable and keeps tangles away.

ArabellaRose
February 19th, 2019, 08:52 AM
I sleep with it down on a satin pillowcases. When I face towards the side of the bed I pass it under my head and lay it out infront of me, when I turn over to face the middle of the bed I leave my hair behind me.

I can't bun it because it's uncomfortable and my hair isn't fond of braids (plus when I tried to do a loose one it just sort of fell down to the hair tie to form a tighter braid at the bottom).

CopperButterfly
February 19th, 2019, 09:00 AM
I'm a side sleeper. I sleep with my hair loose, just on the pillow behind me. If I role over, I'm awake enough to move the hair to the other side so it's behind me again. I find braids tangle my hair more than leaving it loose and buns are too uncomfortable.

Zesty
February 19th, 2019, 09:09 AM

Me too. It's the easiest way to keep it contained without breakage for me.

Milkchocolate
February 19th, 2019, 11:25 AM
I tie it up loosely, to the top of my head, then braid. Then angle it across the pillow depending on the position I’m sleeping :) oh gosh, sometimes not being able to feel the weight of your hair is amazing ❤️❤️

akurah
February 19th, 2019, 11:30 AM
I wear it loose, but instead of piled beneath me or behind me, I have it piled above my head and pillow. I'm not a big fan of braids because they make my nape hair and underside tangle, and I'm more likely to pin my braid underneath me than my loose hair

littlestarface
February 19th, 2019, 11:33 AM
I leave my hair loose over my pillow behind me, even if its in a braid its always hanging behind me over my pillow.

Ylva
February 19th, 2019, 12:30 PM
My hair is also loose behind me over the pillow. That's why I always want some space between my bed and the wall, and no wall of its own on the bed itself. Right now I'm sleeping on just a mattress on the floor, though, so that's easy to arrange.

TreesOfEternity
February 19th, 2019, 12:49 PM
I make a loose English braid and put it over the pillow. I used to wear a satin scarf but the knot caused tangles on my nape.

zashin66
February 19th, 2019, 01:03 PM
I have to do some sort of English braid or French braid into an English braid otherwise I get headaches

Ligeia Noire
February 19th, 2019, 02:30 PM
I just take my fork or stick and the let the braid down and to bed I go. If I was Sisi I would get some ribbon hanging from the ceiling and lift my braid up so I would not have to keep moving it around every time I toss in bed :p

Corvana
February 19th, 2019, 02:43 PM
I've been leaving it loose lately, but it's not really long enough to stay above the pillow, so I'll likely go back to a braid. It's been annoying me lately!

priinnz
February 19th, 2019, 02:47 PM
i usually coil it in a bun with a claw clip as I am a side sleeper. But I am trying to figure out a way to leave it loose or just double it up in a big claw, especially for the days I don't want to wake up with bun waves.

lithostoic
February 19th, 2019, 04:00 PM
I wear it in a braid or rarely, loose. I wear it loose when I have a migraine. Can't bun it, that hurts like hell and gives me a migraine.

MadelineMomo
February 19th, 2019, 04:55 PM
I wear it loose, pushed above me (ie over the pillow, toward the headboard). If I go to bed with wet hair, this gives me pretty nice waves in the morning. It's not quiet as much as scrunching wet hair, but it's in the same vein. Where as if I braid it, that keeps it much straighter throughtout the night and it dries much straighter.

When it's not a wash night so my hair's dry, sometimes I'll gather it into a loose this-can't-fairly-be-called-a-bun with a scrunchy. (Mostly I do this at 2 am if I'm tossing a lot and it's bothering me.) Occasionally I'll braid it. But even when it's dry, I usually leave it loose.

MusicalSpoons
February 19th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Mostly copy-pasta from my blog:

I currently bun my hair with a sturdy fork that's about the same length as my bun is wide, doing a bun that's sort of loose at the scalp but secure, then actually sleep *in* a satin pillowcase. It's an envelope-style closure, so I turn it inside-out, put the smaller part over the top of my head, then twist the remaining material at the nape of my neck. I then bring the other side of the envelope closure up and anchor it around the bun, for which my pillowcase is the perfect size to do! There's a lot of loose material hanging down my neck doing nothing but I find it's kinder to the hairline than a cap was^. I also sleep on another satin pillowcase to protect any wispies that might escape, and in case I move a lot and the pillowcase over my head comes loose. I should add, I now usually put a scrunchie over the satin on top of the bun as I spend so long laying down that invariably the pillowcase comes off my head every night. This way it at least protects the bun the whole time.

Before settling on that method, I tried putting the small part of the pillowcase over my head, then dropping my length into the 'bag' of satin that hung down, then loosely securing it all using a satin scrunchie near the nape, as if securing a low ponytail. I really liked that method except my hair was a bit more tangled than in a cap (though in fairness, in a cap the tangles were virtually zero). I also still slept on another satin pillowcase for that method too, as often hair would escape.

(^It does look ridiculous, but for me that's not an issue.)

Oh, also, I tend to secure my bun vertically so it's more comfortable for sleeping. I am mostly a side sleeper though.

spidermom
February 19th, 2019, 06:04 PM
I've never tried a sleep cap. I thrash around quite a bit and can't imagine it staying in place.

Most of the time I use a scrunchie to make a loose-ish top of head ponytail, except I don't pull the last loop all the way through.

sophia_
February 19th, 2019, 06:18 PM
I just do a very, very loose braid, like 7 bumps, tied with a satin scrunchie. I get some tangles but I'd get them with a regular braid too so I just don't fuss too much about it.

GrowlingCupcake
February 19th, 2019, 07:30 PM
I do twin or single English braids. I used to be able to bun it but I've started having issues with all my forks falling out. I might look into the a bun with a scrunchie.

I move around a lot, and the sleep cap I had started damaging my nape hairs. I've also tried a silk scarf, and that just falls off. I'd like to get a better silk sleep bonnet but I'm worried about nape hair issues.

Meggypoo
February 19th, 2019, 08:54 PM
Starchild494 how are you securing the bun? I don’t get tangles ever since switching from elastics to claw clips as long as I turn the hair for the cinnibun tightly. If it is loose enough to move it may tangle, but since I know it does that I prevent it by always making sure the bun is very secure. I also stop tangles in the first place by always rinsing with low-pH water after showing. It’s seriously a game changer. I just mix water and plain white vinegar until the litmus strip indicates the pH is around 5.

monkeelover15
February 19th, 2019, 09:03 PM
What I have done since waist length and beyond is just to wear my hair loose draped over the pillow and bed(I dont have a head board). I use a silk pillow case and some fabric tucked under the pillow to the floor to keep my length safe from catching on the bed or floor ect. This does not cause tangles and I roll around alot.

ExpectoPatronum
February 19th, 2019, 09:16 PM
I like sleeping with a ponytail on top of my head. It works very well for me.

Groovy Granny
February 19th, 2019, 09:51 PM
My hair is cobweb wipsy and must be contained day or night :p

I work a dime size squirt of Biosilk Serum into my ends then I do loose twin pigtail braids.
In the morning I have soft/subtle waves;more texture than braid waves and it tames my wispies.

Back in the day ...1960's ;) ...I used to make a ponytail on top of my head, then wrap the ends around 3 soup cans :lol:

I did try it when I grew my hair back out but my scalp is too sensitive now and high updos give me migraines.

Simpscone
February 20th, 2019, 02:28 AM
My hair is by no means long, but I've been trying to sleep with a silk cap for a few weeks and no matter what I do, it won't stay on my head throughout the night! Any tips on stopping it from escaping are greatly appreciated!

lunalocks
February 20th, 2019, 06:32 PM
Side sleeper here (usually) so I - 1. (sometimes) comb out (with my wide toothed Madorra comb - I love it and it is worth every penny!!!!) and oil with a spritz of baby oil first on my hands and then through the ends and part of the length, then wind as if I am going to make a seashell bun and secure on the top of my head with spin pins (makes nice morning waves) or 2. (usually) secure the bun with my left hand and with my right hand take out the fork (husband weapon, DH calls it) from whatever bun I happened to have it up in all day, and spin pin it in place or 3. (rarely) wear it loose with all the hair up and over my pillows. I used to wear a braid to bed, usually a side braid, but once past TB this really tangled my hair.

JennGalt
February 20th, 2019, 06:39 PM
If you don’t like braid waves or putting your hair in a bun, have you considered banding your hair for sleep? I used to do that during my flatironing days when I didn’t want waves. If you’ve never heard of it, there are a ton of youtube videos on the banding method. It’s essentially the same except you’d be doing it to maintain straight hair instead of straightening.

Zesty
February 20th, 2019, 06:40 PM
My hair is by no means long, but I've been trying to sleep with a silk cap for a few weeks and no matter what I do, it won't stay on my head throughout the night! Any tips on stopping it from escaping are greatly appreciated!

What kind are you using? Does it have ties to adjust the elastic?

Part of it is getting used to wearing it, but what helped me is getting the fit just right and then wearing it across my forehead (more like above my eyebrows than at my hairline, if that makes sense?). Very cute... But nothing substitutes for just getting used to it. I've been wearing one for years and at first it would come off, but now I can't remember the last time that happened.

Gumball
February 20th, 2019, 08:59 PM
I sleep with a braid 100% of the time, but I might do a banded ponytail or something similar if I felt the need to avoid braiding. My hair's curly though, so the waves that come from a banded ponytail make my hair much straighter in comparison. A good sleep cap might do the trick! It's at least worth a go, yeah?

Begemot
February 21st, 2019, 03:29 AM
I usually either bun my hair or wear braid(s) (braids are for nights before wash days). I have been wanting a sleeping bonnet but have given up on the idea. I also find it difficult to find nice satin pillowcases. My newest idea has to wear a headband like this

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/a9/ec/25/a9ec2556392863e74167e7b43f95c047.jpg?b=t

It could protect my nape hair and keep my hair from getting under me too easily. I just need to find good headband, made of some kind of nice slippery material and not too tight...

EmeraldSkies
February 21st, 2019, 03:53 AM
What I have done since waist length and beyond is just to wear my hair loose draped over the pillow and bed(I dont have a head board). I use a silk pillow case and some fabric tucked under the pillow to the floor to keep my length safe from catching on the bed or floor ect. This does not cause tangles and I roll around alot.

I'm a side sleeper and move alot during sleep. Currently, I'm sleeping with my hair draped loosely over my pillow and use a silk pillowcase. I like your idea of using an additional fabric under the pillow. I might consider doing that when my hair gets longer.

Simpscone
February 21st, 2019, 04:32 AM
What kind are you using? Does it have ties to adjust the elastic?

Part of it is getting used to wearing it, but what helped me is getting the fit just right and then wearing it across my forehead (more like above my eyebrows than at my hairline, if that makes sense?). Very cute... But nothing substitutes for just getting used to it. I've been wearing one for years and at first it would come off, but now I can't remember the last time that happened.

It has an elastic around the bottom and ties on either side to make it tighter, I think I may have been wearing it too far back on my head, I pulled it down last night to my eyebrows and it was still there this morning!

Having my hair not be like an unmanageable nest in the morning almost makes DBF's comments about me being a "pirate" worth it... :lol:

gingerninja
February 21st, 2019, 11:02 AM
As a super active sleeper i wear my tailbone length hair in an english braid and then coil that into a satin sleep cap, i also sleep on a satin pillow case to protect my nape whispies.

Zesty
February 21st, 2019, 03:39 PM
It has an elastic around the bottom and ties on either side to make it tighter, I think I may have been wearing it too far back on my head, I pulled it down last night to my eyebrows and it was still there this morning!

Having my hair not be like an unmanageable nest in the morning almost makes DBF's comments about me being a "pirate" worth it... :lol:

I have one that's a pinkish color and one that's sort of blue-gray. DH calls me "strawberry wifey" or "blueberry wifey" depending on which one I wear. And when I wear my heat cap for oil treatments he calls me "mushroom wifey." :lol:

MusicalSpoons
February 21st, 2019, 04:29 PM
I have one that's a pinkish color and one that's sort of blue-gray. DH calls me "strawberry wifey" or "blueberry wifey" depending on which one I wear. And when I wear my heat cap for oil treatments he calls me "mushroom wifey." :lol:

:rollin: oh my goodness, that's hilarious!!

Jo Ann
February 22nd, 2019, 01:49 AM
BCL checking in here...I wear a side rope braid, switching sides each night. On the rare occasion I wear it loose to bed, over the pillow it goes!

Begemot
February 22nd, 2019, 10:32 AM
This actually looks like quite a comfy way to keep one's hair while sleeping. I wouldn't mind curls either but my hair is probably too short for this right now.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/de/dc/19/dedc1900490f159560321463a9068842.jpg?b=t

Luna Starsetta
February 22nd, 2019, 01:03 PM
i tend to sleep with my hair down and draped over the back of my bed there's a gap between the bed and the headboard. but! i do have microfiber sheets i intend to eventually upgrade to silk sheets but in due time. when i oil my hair then sleep i braid two side 3 strand braids and pop them up into a cap so i don't get oil on the sheets. other then that if i don't want my hair down i will pineapple and sleep. my hairt is very near classic length.

Uproo
February 23rd, 2019, 02:59 PM
I braid two braids

FrayedFire
February 23rd, 2019, 03:09 PM
I switch between leaving it dangling loose over the top of the bed, and a top bun with a tiny hairstick. Or both, sometimes I start out with a bun and then remove it during the night. If I have a braid in, though, I tend to leave it, ala it's comfortable.

meteor
February 23rd, 2019, 05:36 PM
I use a braided bun or a braid coiled on top of head and covered in some silky smooth material. In the morning I can typically re-bun the same braid.

Natalia_A00
February 23rd, 2019, 05:59 PM
Personally, I sleep with 2 braids or one side braid. I hope it's not damaging... Braids prevent tangles for me so next morning I just have to comb. I don't like to wear it loose at bed because of the tangles

Natalia_A00
February 23rd, 2019, 06:00 PM
Also I get pretty waves if I sleep with 2 braids

sweetvalley00
February 25th, 2019, 02:50 PM
Braids are definitely an option but does anyone have advice for sleeping next to a partner? Love the extra long cuddles but I'm worried about my hair when I wake up. It's always so crazy (crazier than when I sleep by myself)!

Starchild494
February 25th, 2019, 03:05 PM
I wish i could sleep with it down... DH rolls on it or I get tangled in it and I over heat. I have been getting headaches when I sleep with it up.

For those of you who wear night caps how do you keep it on?

Zesty
February 25th, 2019, 03:39 PM
I wish i could sleep with it down... DH rolls on it or I get tangled in it and I over heat. I have been getting headaches when I sleep with it up.

For those of you who wear night caps how do you keep it on?

I move a lot in my sleep but have no trouble. I wear mine pretty low, a bit above my eyebrows, and mine has adjustable ties so I can get the elastic just right. I also make a point to do an (unsecured) bun on the top of my head before I put it on, so that my hair is above me on the pillow inside of the cap (if that makes sense?) And I've gotten used to it, of course.

If I lived alone I'd probably wear it all the time at home! But I try to be not-frumpy at least some of the time for my husband. :p

Jo Ann
February 26th, 2019, 01:07 AM
Braids are definitely an option but does anyone have advice for sleeping next to a partner? Love the extra long cuddles but I'm worried about my hair when I wake up. It's always so crazy (crazier than when I sleep by myself)!
Definitely braid it, at the very least! I used to get trapped under DBF's body when I had BSL hair. The snapping sounds I heard when trying to extricate my hair used to make me cringe something awful.

Alexandrina
February 26th, 2019, 01:29 AM
I usually sleep with a top bun, so I don't lay on it no matter which way I toss or turn. (Not sure what you mean by knots around the bun?)
I move around too much to just toss it over the pillow.
Lately I've been practicing with a silk scarf. ONE day it will stay on the whole night!

Sora Rose
February 26th, 2019, 03:29 AM
I'm another person who sleeps with her hair loose. I just toss it out behind me across the pillow (or above, whichever works better). I hardly ever get tangles, though, and I don't seem to move around much. If I couldn't have it loose, I'd probably wear a sleep cap or scarf around it.

esfand
February 26th, 2019, 05:19 AM
I sleep with my tailbone length hair loose over a silk pillowcase.

CopperButterfly
February 26th, 2019, 11:37 AM
This actually looks like quite a comfy way to keep one's hair while sleeping. I wouldn't mind curls either but my hair is probably too short for this right now.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/de/dc/19/dedc1900490f159560321463a9068842.jpg?b=t

That looks like a comfy way to sleep and get heatless curls. I think I'm going to try that sometime.

spidergoat
February 26th, 2019, 11:53 AM
I'm reading this thread with great interest. I was braiding it for a while then draping it over a satin pillowcase, but then things happened last year and I kind of let my hair care go for a while. During that time I slept with it loose on a cotton pillowcase, and boy did it suffer! I'm back to a satin case and a braid now, but I'm worried that my tassel is getting a lot of wear and tear during the night since I tend to move around. I generally wake up with my braid smooshed up under my head and neck. I'm thinking of trying a top-of-the-head bun with either a scrunchie or spin pins.

Begemot
February 26th, 2019, 12:29 PM
That looks like a comfy way to sleep and get heatless curls. I think I'm going to try that sometime.

Tell us how it worked out for you if you try it :)

GlacierLacie
February 27th, 2019, 10:46 AM
Oh my goodness! I've been dying trying to find a way to sleep with my hair out of the way... I never never never sleep with wet/damp hair, I've actually changed my shower time to prevent this. Normally I sleep with it in a basic 3 strand braid. (I don't know any other good ones) Last night however, I just clipped it to the top of my head. I have a crazy sensitive scalp so I can't ever wear it up so I get lazy with braids pretty fast.

Trying to sleep with it down makes me crazy, it gives me super bad split ends too.

miyeena
February 27th, 2019, 01:14 PM
I put my hair in a side braid or a back one. Minimal tangles. :)

Hailey
February 28th, 2019, 01:13 AM
I sleep with a hairstick bun (:

*Wednesday*
February 28th, 2019, 10:38 AM
I don't like the feeling of hair moving. I sleep with a braid and up in a bonnet. Overkill for sure. I hate the bonnet but the hair is out of away.

klmt
February 28th, 2019, 01:50 PM
For people that sleep with a bonnet: do you braid the hair and then put it in the bonnet, or is it loose? I'm interested in getting a bonnet, but I worry if I put my hair in it as-is, I'll wake up to it matted against my head.

lapushka
February 28th, 2019, 01:58 PM
I think if I reach much longer than this to about knee, I am going to ponytail it loosely with a tiny phone cord elastic at the low low nape and double the tail up. I might give that a whirl.

Zesty
February 28th, 2019, 03:08 PM
For people that sleep with a bonnet: do you braid the hair and then put it in the bonnet, or is it loose? I'm interested in getting a bonnet, but I worry if I put my hair in it as-is, I'll wake up to it matted against my head.

I put it in loose. I make a LWB without securing it and then let it unravel once I put the bonnet on.

Starchild494
March 4th, 2019, 12:00 PM
I move a lot in my sleep but have no trouble. I wear mine pretty low, a bit above my eyebrows, and mine has adjustable ties so I can get the elastic just right. I also make a point to do an (unsecured) bun on the top of my head before I put it on, so that my hair is above me on the pillow inside of the cap (if that makes sense?) And I've gotten used to it, of course.

If I lived alone I'd probably wear it all the time at home! But I try to be not-frumpy at least some of the time for my husband. :p

Zesty where did you purchase your bonnet?

Sarahlabyrinth
March 4th, 2019, 12:18 PM
I put it in loose. I make a LWB without securing it and then let it unravel once I put the bonnet on.

I do this too, with whatever bun I have been wearing during the day. I bought a silk bonnet from Adorabellababy on Etsy. It has lasted for years and is still going strong, it keeps my hair tangle free overnight.

meteor
March 5th, 2019, 06:45 AM

I keep my hair in the same braided bun I wore that day, sometimes for comfort I'll take the stick out, sometimes not - and I cover it in silky smooth material. It doesn't even have to be specifically a bonnet (they tend to be really small actually), any scarf/blouse/piece of silky smooth breathable material will do. It's awesome for preventing both tangles and lint accumulation at night.

frostedeyes
March 6th, 2019, 06:49 PM
I sometimes braid my hair, and other times let it loose, but I’m finding that going to bed with my hair braided looks and feels a lot better, so I’m going to stick with that, or clipping it on the top of my head.

SimplySmile
March 8th, 2019, 01:56 PM
I honestly just sleep with my hair down. I sleep on my back and don't move too much. I also have a silk pillow case. When I go to lay down I just drape my hair straight above my head over the top of my pillow. I have found this to be the most comfortable way to sleep and it is not damaging for me.

Zesty
March 8th, 2019, 03:28 PM
Zesty where did you purchase your bonnet?

AdorabellaBaby on Etsy, like Sarahlabyrinth. :)

Starchild494
March 11th, 2019, 05:36 AM
I purchased these terrible caps from Amazon.... when I got them they were silky polyester, and they smelled so weird and strong! Almost like a soured milk with a vinegar tang underneath the smell...... :puke:

Ohhh! In 29 days it's my birthday.... maybe I can just ask for one from AdorabellaBaby!I have 2 I have picked out already...

Starchild494
March 12th, 2019, 01:03 PM
So, I gave DH Two birthday present choices.... A dehydrator or a silk bonnet..... He then choice the silk bonnet because it would cause less mess.... Lol gotta.love him!

So he picked out the pine green with an espresso ribbon! Can not wait to get it

spidergoat
March 14th, 2019, 10:26 AM
I snapped last night after three nights of wearing a high bun that fell out no matter if I used spin pins or a scrunchie. Now I've got a sleep cap/bonnet on its way to me.

Zesty
March 14th, 2019, 02:00 PM
So, I gave DH Two birthday present choices.... A dehydrator or a silk bonnet..... He then choice the silk bonnet because it would cause less mess.... Lol gotta.love him!

So he picked out the pine green with an espresso ribbon! Can not wait to get it

I snapped last night after three nights of wearing a high bun that fell out no matter if I used spin pins or a scrunchie. Now I've got a sleep cap/bonnet on its way to me.

Welcome to the dark side.

Beeboo123
March 15th, 2019, 11:10 AM
The boyfriend thinks my sleep cap is ridiculous, but he requests that i wear it every night, so that my hair won’t tickle him

Shigure
March 15th, 2019, 02:50 PM

Sarah where did you get silk bonet?
And how it is attached to head?
I've got one in the past and it was to tight around my head. It gave me headaches.

Also how it affect oilyness? Don't you need to wash your hair more often?

Sarahlabyrinth
March 15th, 2019, 03:13 PM
Sarah where did you get silk bonet?
And how it is attached to head?
I've got one in the past and it was to tight around my head. It gave me headaches.

Also how it affect oilyness? Don't you need to wash your hair more often?

I bought mine from Adorabellababy on etsy. You can adjust the tightness of the elastic to suit how you like it. (It ties with a ribbon in a bow). I don't notice any extra oiliness, I just wash my hair once a week.

zashin66
March 15th, 2019, 07:39 PM
The boyfriend thinks my sleep cap is ridiculous, but he requests that i wear it every night, so that my hair won’t tickle him

I tried wearing one but I turn too much and the darn thing won't stay put. If I tied it so that it doesn't move so much then I got a headache from being too tight. So I gave up on the sleep cap/bonnet and just went back to the braid for nighttime. My braid shreds and there is some damage but I'll just have to live with that I guess

zashin66
March 15th, 2019, 07:47 PM
I honestly just sleep with my hair down. I sleep on my back and don't move too much. I also have a silk pillow case. When I go to lay down I just drape my hair straight above my head over the top of my pillow. I have found this to be the most comfortable way to sleep and it is not damaging for me.

I used to do that until I realized my hair is touching the ground. I had a nightmare that some bug crawled up my hair onto the bed and was in bed with me. (Eewwwwe)!!! Didn't actually happen but not going to let it happen either!!!!! Now I can't let it down for fear that will actually happen

MadelineMomo
March 16th, 2019, 12:04 AM
With the talk of significant others and sleep caps…

If I had a bedmate, I would braid my hair back at night, for their sake. As it stands though, I don’t. Having my hair spread out across my pillow feels lavish somehow, and I try to enjoy it for now, because it’s (hopefully) not a permanent thing.

Shigure
March 16th, 2019, 12:44 AM
With the talk of significant others and sleep caps…

If I had a bedmate, I would braid my hair back at night, for their sake. As it stands though, I don’t. Having my hair spread out across my pillow feels lavish somehow, and I try to enjoy it for now, because it’s (hopefully) not a permanent thing.

I have crazy sesitive scalp. I can't do any bun/high pony to sleep.
I always wear braid. Recently I wanted straigth hair so I can waer it down so I went to sleep with loose hair. Bad idea. I didn't get any sleep. I just can't fall asleep like that.
I may be lucky because my BF also have long hair so he try to remember not to lay on mine.

meteor
March 16th, 2019, 07:38 AM
[...] Also how it affect oilyness? Don't you need to wash your hair more often?

My hair is actually less oily and less frizzy (predictably) with a silky scarf, I think it just allows less stuff (including my own skin) to touch hair and possibly the fabric absorbs tiniest amounts of oil instead of canopy hair absorbing it all ... so it all adds up in the long run. I think the benefit would be even more obvious if there are bangs/fringe, since bangs would naturally touch forehead at night but pushing them back and wrapping in silk would prevent some of the oil transfer.

Generally, to me, containing and covering hair has all the benefits (except aesthetic).

AmaryllisRed
March 16th, 2019, 10:12 AM
I usually French braid for sleep, but on wash nights I trail it out behind me on the pillow.

Beeboo123
March 16th, 2019, 01:43 PM
I’m the opposite of that- i toss and turn so much, my braid gets completely undone some time in the middle of the night. Scrunchies, claw clips, nothing works, and my hair turns into a tangled mess. My sleeping cap, however, stays stubbornly on top of my head, even when it is in need of a new elastic. Funny how different things work for us!

I tried wearing one but I turn too much and the darn thing won't stay put. If I tied it so that it doesn't move so much then I got a headache from being too tight. So I gave up on the sleep cap/bonnet and just went back to the braid for nighttime. My braid shreds and there is some damage but I'll just have to live with that I guess

lapushka
March 16th, 2019, 02:31 PM
I'm still wearing it loose to bed at FTL+ 1 inch and a bit. It is really getting long though. When I go "potty" in the middle of the night and the morning, I just flip my hair forwards and go. It seems to be working out so far. But there has to be a point where that becomes a bit too "much" to handle. I wonder where that point is for me.

I have the crinkly elastics (invisibobbles) to make a loose double ponytail with in case it gets too long. I think that's what I'm gonna do.

AmaryllisRed
March 16th, 2019, 02:52 PM
When I go "potty" in the middle of the night and the morning, I just flip my hair forwards and go. It seems to be working out so far. But there has to be a point where that becomes a bit too "much" to handle. I wonder where that point is for me.

I tuck mine under my arm or tie it in a knot and that shortens it just enough.

Starchild494
March 20th, 2019, 06:24 AM
Got my sleep bonnet anf slept with it on and it was great! Stayed on even with me moving around a bunch. My hair was significantly less tangled! My kids thought I looked so funny with it on lol. DH said I looked weirdly cute lol I'll take that!

eresh
March 20th, 2019, 09:20 AM
I always have a single braid at night.
Never loose, too many tangles, and the cat lies on it then and sucks on it...and I will suffocate the husband ;-)

Zesty
March 20th, 2019, 02:45 PM

I pull mine across both shoulders. Like I pull it over one shoulder, then partially pull it over the other so that my ends are shortened on one side and there's a loop on the other side. (If that makes sense?)

MusicalSpoons
March 20th, 2019, 03:29 PM

I pull mine across both shoulders. Like I pull it over one shoulder, then partially pull it over the other so that my ends are shortened on one side and there's a loop on the other side. (If that makes sense?)

I wrap mine around my neck on the rare occasion it's necessary. In terms of sensory input it feels horrendous but it does the job and is reliable - I've tried looping it across shoulders but it just slips off. Plus with it feeling so hideous means I won't fall asleep on the toilet :oops: :couch:

littlestarface
March 20th, 2019, 04:51 PM
I make my shirt at the bottom folded up into a pocket and stuff my hair in their for those late night runnins. I can't stand hair on my skin or wrapped around me.

spidergoat
March 20th, 2019, 04:53 PM
I'm definitely liking the sleep bonnet I bought. Keeps the hair nicely contained and tangle free. My only problem is that the elastic is still slightly too tight even adjusted to its maximum circumference. (My fault, I have a big head.) I may thread some different elastic through the bonnet so I don't have a dent in my forehead in the mornings :laugh:

deeisme
March 21st, 2019, 10:08 AM

Me too. It's the easiest way to keep it contained without breakage for me.

What sleep bonnets have you found that have worked well for you?

Aeonian
March 21st, 2019, 03:49 PM
Velvet scrunchie and silk pillowcase, works great for my hair and skin. No more unsightly folds :)

Zesty
March 21st, 2019, 04:51 PM
What sleep bonnets have you found that have worked well for you?

I buy mine from AdorabellaBaby on Etsy. I believe Sarah does also.

littlestarface
March 21st, 2019, 05:23 PM

Me too, she has the best silk.

deeisme
March 21st, 2019, 05:28 PM

Me too, she has the best silk.

Excellent! Thank you, I'll look into AdorabellaBaby on Etsy.

RavennaNight
March 21st, 2019, 05:32 PM
I wear my hair loose (38” currently) and draped over my satin pillow. Sometimes I fall asleep in a bun, and it works out fine, but I lose hair sticks that way. When I clean under the bed I find them.

RottenMango
April 22nd, 2019, 11:38 AM
I always sleep with my hair in a bun.

Orihara
April 22nd, 2019, 04:57 PM
I just sleep with my hair loose.

Alexandrina
April 23rd, 2019, 09:53 AM
I find it's a LOT easier to sleep with my hair loose now that I'm past waist than when it was shorter. Now I can just drape it over the back of my pillow behind me and it stays there for the most part. Before this length tho, it was always getting in my face or rolled on, I guess it wasn't long enough to stay draped? I used to put it in a top bun on the top of my head usually, but have stopped that for the most part to give my scalp a break since I mostly wear it up during the day now.

Keeping it draped I wake up with it really flat tho. Actually I've been experimenting on and off with head coverings the past few months for sleeping, both a buff and a silk scarf. They will NOT stay on. I've looked at tons of youtube videos, tried a million different tying methods, they just like to pop off my head :(

I can get the scarf to mostly stay if I tie it SUPER tight, but then it makes a big line indent on my forhead when I take it off, and I definitely don't want a permanent line there.
The buff is super comfortable, but even if I tie a knot in one end to make the diameter smaller, it won't stay like that or loose.

If anyone wears a buff or scarf and can get it to stay the whole night let me know! I would love tips!

Haziel
April 23rd, 2019, 10:56 AM
When I was 13 and had knee length hair I would sleep with it in an bun done up like the amish, they start with a ponytail holder at th back of their heads then wrap their hair in a semi loose bun and then cover it with a hair net. Pulling the hair net up from the bottom of the bun a little snug then a twist and back over the bun again, any leftover net would be twisted into a mini bun of it's own and then tucked under the edge of the hair bun. Then the bun would be pinned in place by 10-14 U shaped hair pins that where (depending on how much hair you had) 2-3 " long. To pin it in place you take one of the U shaped pins pinching it together slightly catch the net and a bit of hair in the net then a bit of hair on your scalp holding the hair pin perpendicular to your head, once you have collected the necessary amount of hair turn the pin (ends towards your bun) in line with your head and push in to your bun. Start off with 2 pins about 3/4 of an inch apart at the top of your bun and continue adding even numbers of pins (one on each side) about an inch from the last one all the way down to the bottom. If your bun is a bit low or your hair is rather thin at the nape of your neck the you usually can skip putting to pins at the bottom of the bun. If the bun feels loose then grab more hair when you put in the pins. This method is very comfortable and fast, and lasts all night even for people who move a lot in their sleep. Also you can wear this during the day but is very plain.

Larke
April 24th, 2019, 04:32 PM
I put my hair up in a really loose cinnamon bun and then hold it in place with a bun cover clip I recently purchased (https://www.amazon.com/Crafted-Attractive-Accessory-Uniquely-Painted/dp/B079M2NPZS). These clips work really well for me, but I've also used homemade flexi-8s with small sticks in the past to hold the bun. And then a satin bonnet over everything if I want to, but it doesn't usually stay in the whole night.

soldierssong
April 24th, 2019, 05:53 PM
I just usually have it in a loose braid, as I move around a lot, and my neck gets really hot if I have it down. I don't want to break my ends!!!
Sometimes I have pigtails, but tend not to, as my hair is very thin.

mackensey
April 24th, 2019, 11:57 PM
I wear two loose english braids on the sides of my head

Haziel
June 7th, 2019, 09:52 PM
Ok, so now that I'm older I have trouble sleeping with my hair in anything. Braids get under my back bone and cause pain, buns pull my hair and make it difficult to get comfy and I can't imagine sleeping with a cap so I just sleep with it loose. To make matters worse I HATE silky pillow cases, so I have ordenery cotton pillow cases. Help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Begemot
June 8th, 2019, 12:52 AM
I have been using a long spinpin/hair screw to make a bun on top of my head. It has worked pretty well so far! I'm thinking about trying double buns too.

Krissycats
June 8th, 2019, 01:03 AM
I've been doing one braid over my shoulder, changing sides each night. Tonight all my hair is in a braid over my left shoulder.

Simsy
June 8th, 2019, 01:14 AM
I’m a roller in bed; so my hair absolutely cannot be left to its own devices. I usually go with a bun positioned high on my head with the fork inserted vertically from the bottom. This means I can sleep on my back without interfering with the bun at all and I don’t risk pushing the fork out during the night.

I can sleep with a braid occasionally; hubby and I have both developed a sleep reflex of finding and moving the braid when we roll over. The bun is safer though.

CosmoCat
June 8th, 2019, 01:56 AM
My hair is just at 23”, but I have been putting it in a loose braid or two and wearing a satin cap. It helps keep it from tangling, my hair is much easier to comb this way. I’m hoping it’s doing good, time will tell. I do worry about my nape, as it’s tight around my head...which is even small. Anyhow, I will be looking for a larger one made with actual silk.

Edit: I toss & turn...

CosmoCat
June 8th, 2019, 02:48 PM
Actually, I’m not liking the back of my hair as much since the braids. The new waves it creates has me worried about future breakage in those areas...where the braiding begins and where it stops. I’m really disappointed, because my hair is less tangled in braids, but I don’t want ‘dents’ either.

Panthera
June 9th, 2019, 02:27 AM
I've been using a scarf for a long time. I toss and turn a lot so I need some extra protection. Unfortunately I recently noticed my hair line has been thinning, most likely because of the scarf. So I had to go back to braiding. I will get damage from it but I'd rather have damage than a bald spot in my head..

leayellena
June 9th, 2019, 04:14 AM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13199&attachmentid=36900
I make a braid then poke the length through the braid to tuck the end into the place in that coil. Hope it makes sense lol.

shelomit
November 20th, 2019, 04:57 PM
My habit for a very long time had been to put in one braid and flop it over and above my pillow. A couple years ago I learned how to do the same thing with my loose hair without getting utterly entangled in it. That's way more convenient (especially when my hair isn't all the way dry), but since I'm trying to combat breakage right now I'm trying to wean myself from the habit. The current experiment is two very loose braids, starting a little higher on my head than I typically would, inside a cap. I'm going to try to keep it up for at least a month, then take stock of where I am. The only satin cap I could find in town was a very cheap one meant for natural hair: Science of Beauty "Stay-On Satin," manufactured in Atlanta. I think the elastic will likely be too tight for me in the long run, so some sewing will probably be in order. Otherwise, I like the size of both the cap itself and the "cuff" along the edge, and haven't had any issue with it slipping off or dragging back to my hairline in the night.

lu_yue
November 22nd, 2019, 06:37 PM
I've always just done a simple English braid, somewhat tight by the nape to prevent matting (cause I'm a roller, kicker and everything in between), but now that I have to sleep wearing wrist braces with velcro :( I'll probably throw the braid into a bonnet.

Linden
November 23rd, 2019, 12:03 PM
I have always put my hair in a single English braid, but I recently noticed that my cotton pillow case seemed to be causing a lot of dryness and splits in my ends. I bought a cheap silk scarf and sewed a kind of tube that I can slip over my braid before I sleep. I know a bonnet would probably be better, but there's always a risk that I may be jumping up during the night to go to a fire call (volunteer fire department), so I need a style that I can quickly convert into one wearable in public. So far it has greatly reduced morning tangles and dryness, so I am happy.

AmaryllisRed
November 23rd, 2019, 02:16 PM
Last night I Dutch braided my hair before bed. Note to self: don't do that. I had a big knot under my neck. So uncomfortable.

shelomit
November 23rd, 2019, 02:50 PM
I really should have thought of this earlier, but now that I'm committed to using a cap for at least a while, there's no reason to secure my braids when I put them in at night. For a few nights now I've put in two braids, let the ends hang loose (no elastics, etc.), and just stuffed 'em into the back of the cap. Maybe this wouldn't work so well for someone who moves a lot in their sleep, but for me it's kept my hair 98% tangle-free overnight.

shelomit
November 23rd, 2019, 03:10 PM
I have always put my hair in a single English braid, but I recently noticed that my cotton pillow case seemed to be causing a lot of dryness and splits in my ends. I bought a cheap silk scarf and sewed a kind of tube that I can slip over my braid before I sleep. I know a bonnet would probably be better, but there's always a risk that I may be jumping up during the night to go to a fire call (volunteer fire department), so I need a style that I can quickly convert into one wearable in public. So far it has greatly reduced morning tangles and dryness, so I am happy.

I really like this idea! I've experimented in the past with just tying my hair up in a silk scarf, but the ends of my braids would always find some way to wriggle out. People are constantly giving me scarves, so if I get a silk one I don't like I'll probably have a go at this.

Thank you also for the VFD work. I grew up in a very desolate area with no professional fire-fighters and a lot of dry lightning. You guys are lifesavers!