PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Know If You Were Near Terminal?

Shepherdess
February 18th, 2019, 09:04 PM
How would you tell if you were near terminal?

Since it is almost to my hair anniversary here, I have been thinking a lot lately. I have been considering how when I first joined I had wonderful hair growing progress. I recall how fast my bangs grew out to waist within a year, and I went from tailbone to classic/thigh in no time. But then it never has grown fast after that. Every time it has stalled and barely crawled along once I reach upper thighs. It has been almost exactly 7 years since I joined. I thought that perhaps trimming would help, so I used to trim only an inch off each year and dust the ends every 5 months or so, which is hardly anything, but I think that left me stuck at 49 inches for a while. I finally stopped trimming and I have had a little bit of progress; some fairytale ends that have grown out a couple more inches to 52 inches this last year. That's only 3 inches of growth. The most progress I have made in the last 3 years I think.

That being considered, do you think that I am very close to my terminal length? Everyone else here who was growing around the same time that I was who had similar goals have long since passed me up in length now. Granted, I did have a major shed about 4 years ago or so, but I feel like that has caught up by now. I try to take care of my hair and S&D when I can. My ends are a bit fragile sometimes, so perhaps breakage accounts for some of it, but I feel like it doesn't really want to grow much longer from this length. I have tried a lot of different things and recommendations here, and eat healthy and my hair is super thick and heavy, so just makes me question if I might be very near to terminal. :confused:

Thank you for reading. :blossom:

trolleypup
February 18th, 2019, 09:28 PM
Maybe. Fairytaling, little growth accumulation with very little trimming. Check your longest sheds...do they have tapered tips (never cut)...also, those longest sheds length divided by your growth rate will tell you how old they are.

FYI, the regrowth from a shed 4 years ago would only be a couple feet long (if you have average growth rate).

Shepherdess
February 18th, 2019, 11:27 PM
Maybe. Fairytaling, little growth accumulation with very little trimming. Check your longest sheds...do they have tapered tips (never cut)...also, those longest sheds length divided by your growth rate will tell you how old they are.

FYI, the regrowth from a shed 4 years ago would only be a couple feet long (if you have average growth rate).
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts, trolleypup! :flower:

Seems like a lot of my shed hairs are finer so its hard to tell if they taper, although a few of them definitely had tapered tips. I don't seem to have very many long hairs shedding lately actually, most of my shed hairs are between 30-37 inches long and very fine, a few of the longer ones are medium thickness and don't have a noticeable taper. I'll start paying attention more to my longer sheds from now on and try to calculate this sometime. :) I am honestly not entirely sure of my growth rate now, since I have stayed near this length for so long without any major cuts, so I don't have much for comparison in growth rate. I do recall that my bangs grew out very fast when I first joined the community; it seemed like I was gaining an inch every month with them during the summer months, although I think growth rate slowed down in the wintertime for me, if I can remember correctly. I might be forgetting though. Thank you for the tips on calculating them. :)

I checked on my pictures and I guess my bad shed was about 5 years ago, although you bring up a good point. I hope you are right. I'd like my hair to keep growing a bit longer. :D

embee
February 19th, 2019, 06:10 AM
I would agree: the fairytale ends plus no growth, no trims.

I'm there, with half a dozen racer hairs that are mid-thigh. All the other "long" hairs are classic or shorter. There's been no real change for a number of years and I've not trimmed or cut since 2005. Yes, there is some breakage, but why not? Those old hairs are fragile! Plus age and thyroid related hair thinning. :(

Shepherdess
February 20th, 2019, 12:58 PM
I would agree: the fairytale ends plus no growth, no trims.

I'm there, with half a dozen racer hairs that are mid-thigh. All the other "long" hairs are classic or shorter. There's been no real change for a number of years and I've not trimmed or cut since 2005. Yes, there is some breakage, but why not? Those old hairs are fragile! Plus age and thyroid related hair thinning. :(

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your experience!! :)

I also had thyroid trouble in the past. That's not easy, I can understand the struggle with thyroid. :( Do you think this can affect the terminal too? Yeah, older hair definitely gets fragile! You bring up good points. Thank you once again for sharing!! :flowers:

sophia_
February 20th, 2019, 01:53 PM
A couple years ago, I was hovering between tailbone and classic length, and I had no growth at my ends (my bangs were still growing out, which sealed the deal for me) and a whole lot of taper. I thought I had reached terminal, so I eventually cut back to just above solid tailbone to even the hemline. It started growing again, but it went all the way to classic, I microtrimmed for almost a year, and now my hemline's straight and it's growing again. Fine hair is really easily damaged I guess, and if the ends are already thin, small amounts of wear and tear can take off what growth there is.

lapushka
February 20th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your experience!! :)

I also had thyroid trouble in the past. That's not easy, I can understand the struggle with thyroid. :( Do you think this can affect the terminal too? Yeah, older hair definitely gets fragile! You bring up good points. Thank you once again for sharing!! :flowers:

Thyroid affecting hair? For sure! Yes. I don't much know in length, but in thickness, yep. My aunt had issues with thyroid as a teen, but now has even thicker hair than me. So it's not always telling right there either. But if the body is out of whack somehow, that's the first thing to think about when things don't "move along" as they should. Second, natural stall/terminal.

I would not panic yet, but keep your eye on it. You had 3 inches of growth and 3 inches is better than no growth! Maybe stop trimming for a while?