PDA

View Full Version : Pentecostal/Apostolic hairstyle tutorials

Zesty
February 17th, 2019, 09:38 PM
I recently got sucked into the black hole of YouTube and ended up on a Pentecostal hairstyle tutorial kick, just to see what I might learn, and found it so interesting. Obviously many of them had LHC-level length, but their styling is SO consistently different from what I've learned here. There's a lot of hairspray, teasing/fluffing, smashing buns into hair elastics, and generally what *I* would call rough treatment. The goal seems to be to get volume or a "bump" at the top and the buns they do are quite fluffy. The "easy" and "quick" styles I found are also way more involved than, say, a LWB.

Here are a couple of examples if anyone cares to watch:

She has ankle length hair so I found this extra interesting: https://youtu.be/8dx01-D9DWM

She seems to be the most popular YouTuber putting out these hair tutorials: https://youtu.be/LnNsqAfcIjg

Another one, she makes a point to say that you don't need a hair elastic for this style, I guess because it's unusual in the community to not use them: https://youtu.be/Q1DTiaful3A

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this or had any thoughts. I guess the goal is to make it look like you have as much hair as possible? Is it just an arbitrary cultural thing that women pass down?

Disclaimer: Obviously the subject of Pentecostals and their hair has come up on the LHC before, so I'm sorry if anyone finds this redundant. Also I hope I don't offend anyone by asking, obviously they can do their hair as they please and I'm not trying to be judgmental so I hope it doesn't come across that way. I just found the consistency in technique fascinating.

Reyn127
February 17th, 2019, 10:21 PM
I’ve actually learned a lot and gotten a bunch of styling ideas from some of those apostolic/Pentecostal hair tutorials. Not necessarily the products or the techniques, but there are some great ideas for styles that work for very long hair, that are a little different.

I have definitely noticed that the styles are similar, sometimes, though. Especially that bump! I think i remember watching a video where one of the ladies said that most of them do it so they don’t look so plain from the front, because their hair is ALWAYS up/back. I think there was another video where someone said that sometimes it can also be somewhat of a status thing, like the ladies would compete in a way for the best bump, or something.

I think it makes sense in a way as a symbol of identity for the subculture, though. But I will say, whenever I follow one of the tutorials, there’s never any teasing, hairspray, and I don’t usually go for such big of a bump, more of just a tiny bit of volume if anything.

-Fern
February 17th, 2019, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I can understand the fascination after visiting some of the links you provided. It's a very different aesthetic than I'm accustomed to. It makes me wonder if others visit LHC and marvel at the % of members who default to LWB's and cinnabuns. (Though now that I think about it, a common question that pops up from time to time is, "Why would you grow it long just to wear it up all the time?")

So maybe it is cultural, in part. After all, I learned most of my hair styles from LHC, so that's just kind of how I do things and what I consider practical/pretty.

spidermom
February 18th, 2019, 07:37 AM
Wow, that first lady had beautiful hair. I remember watching videos like this years ago and cringing over all the teasing and spraying. Sometimes what they ended up with looked like a nest of tortured hair.

MusicalSpoons
February 18th, 2019, 11:20 AM
I only watched the first one, and I have three words: that's so unfair! She uses so much product and touches her scalp hair so much yet only needs to wash every 4 days, and, she uses such tight elastics and smushes her ends in yet has such beautiful hair still! *sigh*

I actually googled for pictures of Apostolic / Pentecostal long hair a while ago looking for pictures with natural taper, and did see some of the styles and a tutorial or two. It's definitely not for my hair - it felt like some of my strands almost snapped just watching some of the techniques! Have to admit, I did cringe. And yet ... their hair down still looks great, generally speaking :shrug: each to their own indeed, and the adage so often used here "you do you" applies equally to them; if they're happy with their styles and techniques that's great! (Many outside LHC might find my routine and go-to buns boring, when there are so many other styles for long hair, but likewise it's what works for me.)

Groovy Granny
February 18th, 2019, 11:26 AM
Beautiful hair but ugh....cringe worthy care....my asthma flared with each layer of hairspray :lol:

I would be back to a pixie if I adopted those styles....my poor wispy silver :tmi:

To each their own :shrug:

Siv
September 14th, 2019, 04:35 AM
I’ve been home sick and somehow fell into the YouTube rabbit-hole of Christian house wives from various denominations like Pentecostal, Mennonite...

Anyway, I’ve never had issues with mechanical damage from hair ties as long as I wary my hairstyles so I did find the Pentecostal women quite inspiring! Though I’m too questioning all the teasing and products.. I saw a video by that first lady linked above where she said she straightened her hair regularly after washing...?! How do they keep their hair healthy??

Simsy
September 14th, 2019, 05:19 AM
Traditionally, the bump is there to make your hair look thicker or like there’s more hair there. More hair and thick hair was at one point a sign that you had access to plenty of good nutrition and were healthier overall. Same basic idea as hair extensions for length; hair bumps, rats, and bun forms for volume; and elaborate hair styles for showing off wealth.

A lot of old traditions and older cultural/social norms hold on within religious and spiritual communities where there is a constant reliance on and appeal to historical interpretations.

Begemot
September 14th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Wow, great styles! I avoid hair styling products because my scalp disagrees with them and I dislike how they make my hair feel... but I might try something like this some time since I just love big hair :D

She seems to be the most popular YouTuber putting out these hair tutorials: https://youtu.be/LnNsqAfcIjg

I like her shower curtain.

jane_marie
September 14th, 2019, 12:53 PM
I think that certain types of hair can deal with this sort of damage much more than others. I have coarse full hair and my hair can manage this sort of abuse. I know that because I used to put my hair through this sort of thing on a regular basis. I maintained around WL for years all the while moving from box black to fantasy colors over bleach and back again several times over, curling or straightening daily, using harsh products and wadding my hair up into mess before securing it with elastics (or rubber bands if I couldn't find a hair tie. For most of it my hair was very pretty despite the abuse. It took ten years over 6 bleachings, endless amounts of product, an eating disorder, abusive relationship, and a pituitary tumor before my hair was damaged enough to cut. Of course, my hair was not as healthy as it would have been had it been loved and cared for but it was still long, thick and pretty.

I think there is a genetic aspect to hair resiliency and my guess is that a long history of selection in these religious groups has fostered that these women have fuller more resilient hair than most. So they can take the abuse. That said, I could imagine how gorgeous those heads of hair would be with more love and care.

The-Young-Maid
September 14th, 2019, 03:36 PM
All I can think is that the take down must be a nightmare