PDA

View Full Version : Different styles of bangs

Haven
February 17th, 2019, 10:00 AM
I'm curious how all you longhairs with bangs style them, or how you've changed how you style them over the years if you've had them that long!

I've had bangs as long as I've had hair, but when I was a little kid they were blunt and thin, which I didn't like. As a teenager I made them fuller and parted them to one side, but currently I'm seeing if I can get a softer, more "see-through" look to work, similar to what's popular over in Korea right now. I've briefly considered growing them out entirely, but in the end I prefer how having bangs makes me look a little bit cuter and more feminine.

Begemot
February 17th, 2019, 10:10 AM
I had bangs as a kid, then as a teenager but went almost 10 years without. Now I've had bangs for a year or so. I enjoy a lot of looks! Right now I like short, side swept bangs that can be worn straight, blunt style too. I do think the see-through bangs that are a bit on the longer side suit me well too. I like to wear my hair up a lot more too when I have bangs. I guess I feel a little bald if all my hair is up and out of my face. Yeah I too think I look cuter with bangs :)

poli
February 19th, 2019, 08:47 AM
I have straight blunt bangs at my brows level and I like them this way. I cut them in when I was around shoulder length. I tried to grow it into side swept once but did not have the patience to keep at it. I have two strands of hair (on the sides of my face) that I managed to grow to chin length because I think my bangs where too heavy and I try to incorporate this hair into my face framing layers. It's ongoing struggle :whip:

sweetvalley00
February 27th, 2019, 01:50 PM
I know this bang-world well. I've loved my bangs, fought with my bangs, gotten rid of my bangs, missed my bangs..the whole cycle through and through! Bangs definitely add a feminine touch to the face (either blunt, side-swept, or anything in-between) and I love 'em, but they do you no favors when trying to emphasize hair length. To me, my hair always looks so much shorter when combined with bangs. Having said that, if bangs looks good on you, I always lean yes-bangs.

itskate
February 27th, 2019, 01:55 PM
I honestly wouldn't be growing my hair without bangs, haha! I feel like I need them or else I just look too plain. Currently I cut them just above my eyebrows, and I like them pretty thick. I have a cowlick, so they're usually a little side swept no matter what I do. But I would looove to be able to do thick straight across bangs...it's just not my hair type, they also get flippy/curly. I have to shape them how I want while they're wet.

Begemot
February 28th, 2019, 06:20 AM
I honestly wouldn't be growing my hair without bangs, haha! I feel like I need them or else I just look too plain.

I think for me growing long feels better with bangs because I feel better about wearing my hair up. When I don't have bangs and wear my hair up, I look and feel bald... so with bangs I wear my hair up more, which in turn is better for my hair :D Previously I grew my bangs out because I was fed up with the upkeep and started to obsess over having my hair as thick as possible.

Katsura
February 28th, 2019, 07:37 AM
My bangs are now more blunt and eyebrow lenght. Sometimes I like to cut them more choppy and side swept.
Cutting my bangs helps my urge to chop my hair. :D

sweetvalley00
February 28th, 2019, 09:04 AM
I think for me growing long feels better with bangs because I feel better about wearing my hair up. When I don't have bangs and wear my hair up, I look and feel bald... so with bangs I wear my hair up more, which in turn is better for my hair :D Previously I grew my bangs out because I was fed up with the upkeep and started to obsess over having my hair as thick as possible.

SO TRUE about feeling bald w/o bang. Does that feeling ever go away? Do people without bangs feel bald w/their hair up?

& just like you, I'm definitely more likely to put my hair up with bangs. In fact, with bangs, I'm more likely to have my hair up instead of down. What a good point!!

Begemot
February 28th, 2019, 09:21 AM
SO TRUE about feeling bald w/o bang. Does that feeling ever go away? Do people without bangs feel bald w/their hair up?

& just like you, I'm definitely more likely to put my hair up with bangs. In fact, with bangs, I'm more likely to have my hair up instead of down. What a good point!!

For me it doesn't go away... I had no bangs when my hair was the longest it has ever been. I strongly preferred to wear my hair loose because I thought I looked weird when all hair was up and off my face. So I never really got the hang of making pretty protective styles and my hair probably experienced more mechanical damage because of it. Let's grow long with bangs :hifive:

Aerya
February 28th, 2019, 10:40 AM

I feel a little weird with all my hair in a bun, especially since my bun is very small and "disappears" at this length. I'm fine with all being pulled back in a high ponytail, which was my go-to style for ages, so it's not that I feel I look bald, but more that I feel like William Turner in Pirates of the Caribbean. The same goes for a low ponytail or even worse, a half up. I mean, Orlando Bloom is indeed a beautiful man, but that's not really what I'm going for, you know? :pirate:

I'm actually considering adding some curtain bangs or face framing layers this summer. I have too much baby hairs at my hairline to really get that sleek look anyway and I feel more feminine with a bit of hair framing my face. The downside is that I look like a 12 year old though, lol.

Question for you guys: Do you find that you need to wash your bangs more often, and style them in order to look good? My hair is mostly straight on top, a bit of body wave but not so that bangs turn out super flippy, and I'm not thinking straight across heavy bangs, just thin curtain bangs/short-ish layers around my face. But I did a little research and everyone seems to agree that bangs of any kind MUST be styled and washed and blowdried every day in order to look good.

Haven
February 28th, 2019, 11:58 AM
It probably depends on the style you want to wear them in; I imagine thick blunt bangs would take more deliberate styling than softer, less uniform looks.

I don't mess with them a lot except to smooth them into place with my hands or a comb... but I do agree they take more maintenance if only because they start to look greasy faster than the length. I currently wash every 2 or 3 days, but if it weren't for my bangs I could probably stretch to 4 more often.
I'd wash only my bangs, except I haven't mastered doing that without dunking my whole head under the faucet!