PDA

View Full Version : How much time do you spend on your hair every day?

esfand
February 16th, 2019, 02:09 PM
Whether it be putting it up in a bun every morning to start the day or grooming (brushing, oiling) it at night.

I have tailbone length hair, and I spend about 5 minutes a day putting up in a simple bun.

Aeonian
February 16th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Well, it depends if it is wash day, but normally I spend maybe one minute refreshing my wurls with water or putting it in a ponytail. Never timed it though! I have SL hair.

GrowlingCupcake
February 16th, 2019, 02:18 PM
At least half an hour in the morning (detangling + any oils/leave-ins + bun), and over half an hour at night (detangling + any oils/leave-ins + braid).

Sometimes detangling can take an hour. Also, occasionally I will have to adjust my bun or detangle again during the day.

Edit: My hair is BCL.

Edit #2: This is not including wash days. Those take much longer.

Hairkay
February 16th, 2019, 02:22 PM
That does depend on the day. Most days it's around 5 minutes washing, another 5 minutes bunning or tucking it up and a minute more at bedtimes putting on a bonnet. Once a week though, I will undo my plaits, wash, condition and restyle that can take more than an hour.

CopperButterfly
February 16th, 2019, 02:24 PM
In the morning probably around 20 min to scalp wash, and brush it out and style my bangs. Then another 5 min after it's dry to brush it and put it up in a bun.

lithostoic
February 16th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Next to none unless it is wash day. Now THAT takes time! Putting it in a bun takes like 30 seconds and I don't brush between washes. If I feel like wearing it in a dutch braid that only takes like 2 minutes. Takes only a minute to put it in a simple english braid for bed if it's not already braided (in that case I leave it as is).

lapushka
February 16th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Whether it be putting it up in a bun every morning to start the day or grooming (brushing, oiling) it at night.

I have tailbone length hair, and I spend about 5 minutes a day putting up in a simple bun.

Like 15-30 seconds to put it up when I get up - that's it. Stays put the rest of the day.

That's why I like it so much. I do this an entire week, and Sunday = wash day, with a little more "effort", but it is worth it to have the ease of use the rest of the week.

blackgothicdoll
February 16th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Most days is maybe 5 or 10 minutes to braid it or bun it. Wash day is like.... a couple or a few hours. xD

Cg
February 16th, 2019, 02:58 PM
Most non-wash days, ~10-15 seconds to bun and stab with a hefty fork.

Ylva
February 16th, 2019, 03:03 PM
On non-wash days I spend maybe 5 minutes combing and bunning my hair altogether.

On wash days I do stuff to my hair for around 1,5-2 hours.

MusicalSpoons
February 16th, 2019, 03:15 PM
~2-5 mins if I comb, ~30 secs to bun. Another ~30 secs if I redo my bun for bed.

Wash day 10 mins to dampen and condition my hair for pre-poo, then ~30-45 mins to shower including the full wash.

Scalp wash (some evenings, at most twice a week but usually once or none) will be 5-10 mins to comb and braid, then 5-10 mins for the scalp wash.

Edit: currently knee-length

Edit 2: airdry overnight so not counting that time :lol:

Dark40
February 16th, 2019, 03:40 PM

My hair is between WL and HL. So, on non wash days if I'm putting it in a bun it only takes me a few seconds. If I'm putting it in 2 dutch braids it takes me 5 minutes. If I'm brushing between washes it takes me 5 minutes. Washdays it takes me 30 minutes.

embee
February 16th, 2019, 03:55 PM
About 5 minutes. Morning, undo night braid, brush and bun the hair. Evening, undo bun, brush out and braid for the night.

On scalp-wash day it is a bit longer because there in an addition: brush out, make a top knot, rinse scalp well. Then brush out before bunning or braiding.

cjk
February 16th, 2019, 04:25 PM
I pull it up into a loose bun during my shower, then brush it out after dressing. That takes around a minute.

Wash day takes a while but most of it is waiting. I mean, my hair takes 12 hours to dry but I do other things so I don't count that time.

And the times I braid, I usually enjoy multiple braid styles like pigtails so it takes a little longer to section my hair with a neat part.

Averaged out, probably 5-10 minutes per day at most.

2gaits
February 16th, 2019, 05:12 PM
I don't know. Maybe 30 minutes when I wash, blow dry and style. I've been noticing though as its gotten longer and my bangs have grown out I can spend less time. On days I don't wash just a bit of dry shampoo, brush and touch up with the flat iron if needed. I haven't liked wearing it up but it's growing on me the longer it gets.

EmeraldSkies
February 16th, 2019, 06:05 PM
On non- wash days, i spend approximately 10 mins to comb in the morning and put my hair up.

On wash days, 20 mins to wash my hair and 1.5 - 2 hours to dry my hair.

pailin
February 16th, 2019, 07:08 PM
I wash daily, so probably 10 minutes washing time in my shower. I just sleep on it wet, then probably 10 minutes detangling and putting it up in the morning.

Of course that's the minimum and I take longer if I want to do something special. If I wear it down I'll need another 10 minutes later in the day to detangle some more.

Groovy Granny
February 16th, 2019, 09:21 PM
Daily ~ around 5 minutes also; AM & PM a quick detangle and serum application to the ends if needed; style for the day or twin english braids for sleep...easy peasy :cheer:

Wash day add @15 minutes for Shampoo/ROO/conditioner within my shower, then detangle/LOC/Scalp diffused; apply serum to ends and style (the ends have already air dried by the time my scalp is diffused)...which only takes a couple of minutes.

There is never a 'bad hair day' :flower:

neko_kawaii
February 16th, 2019, 09:27 PM
Knee + mid ii

I don’t comb every day, so a bun in the morning probably takes 30 seconds and pulling out the stick/fork and shoving it in a sleep cap takes less. But to be generous let’s say 2 minutes a day, because I sometimes redo buns during the day. If I combed daily that would only add 2 minutes.

It probably takes 5 minutes to comb and 5 min to wash, every 4 days on average.

Meggypoo
February 16th, 2019, 09:38 PM
Hip length

Normal day: bun on the run - practically no time. Maybe 2 minutes if using a heavy fork to get the bun ‘just so’

Tangly hair day: maybe 3-4 minutes to spritz and detangle

Pre-wash day: 5 minutes to slather on coconut oil

Wash day (1-2x/wk) 2 min to shampoo, 2 min to condition, do other shower stuff whilst conditioning, take a minute to mix vinegar and water, dump it in my hair, detanlge for 1 minute. 10 total i’d say?

I always air dry, so that’s another zero.

Henna day: hours and hours and hours! Once every two months or so - my hair is so dark you can barely see my roots.

Joules
February 17th, 2019, 12:17 AM
Between hip and buttcrack length:

On non-wash days it's like 5-15 minutes. Well, 5-15 minutes to put it in an updo, and another 30 seconds to braid it before going to bed at night. Detangling isn't a thing, because Tangle Teezer.

On wash days it's 1h - 1h15m to wash and another 15 minutes to brush it, make a parting and put in all the leave-ins afterwards (on top of the already existing 5-15 mins spent on updos in the morning). If I oil my hair before shampooing, I'd spend 10 minutes putting in oil and I'd keep it in my hair for 3-6 hours.

ETA: I don't wash my hair for the entire time, but it for sure takes up most of it. It takes me no more than 15 minutes to wash my body, shave, brush my teeth and wash my face, so I need 45-60 minutes to shampoo twice and condition twice (or more specifically do a deep treatment and conditioning).

Begemot
February 17th, 2019, 02:52 AM
On non-wash days it's probably around 5-10 minutes. Just finger-combing, brushing and putting it up (my up-dos are so simple that they take no time). Then adjusting the up-do during the day maybe couple of times and changing it for night. On wash days I spend several hours washing, conditioning, applying leave-ins and drying, again combing and brushing, putting it up for night and so on.

Time spent thinking about hair stuff? Too much, sometimes around the clock :lol:

gingerninja
February 17th, 2019, 08:10 AM
On a normal day max of 7 minutes a day including bunning and braiding for my sleep cap, detangling takes no time. On wash day's (once a month) 1.5-2 hours to throughly wash and condition and i always air dry whilst doing other things. My hair depending on wave pattern is between bcl to classic length stretched.

GrowlingCupcake
February 17th, 2019, 08:22 AM
Someone swap their not stupidly tangly hair with mine? 5 minutes would be a dream.

trolleypup
February 17th, 2019, 09:33 AM
past knee

daily - average of 10 minutes, some detangling, bunning and rebunning

weekly (wash day) - about 45 minutes (detangle, wash, detangle - not counting drying time as I'm doing other stuff)

Reyn127
February 17th, 2019, 10:04 AM
Wow, some of you are fast! For me, at classic+, it takes about 20-30 minutes to do my hair in the morning. About 20 minutes to detangle, and a few more minutes to put it up in some way. I S&D pretty often, usually in chunks of like 2 hours every few weeks, but sometimes about 10 minutes here and there, so that brings it to 30-40 minutes per day. Washing it happens once a week and takes about an hour and a half for the whole process - detangling, washing, conditioning, rinsing, and getting to partially dry.

So that averages out to.... about 45 minutes a Day, just for basic care.

kikuhoshi
February 17th, 2019, 10:24 AM
I'm just about to classic (finger's-width away), 1a/i/f.

Daily, I take about 5 minutes - twist my hair up into a bun and put in my claw clip in to hold it for the day, then toss a cap over it at night. Depending on the weather, I may L.O.C. midweek, and about 2x a week I wash my blunt bangs, but each of those are still just a minute or so.

Once a week on wash days, I usually take 12+ hrs. I oil my scalp before bed, put on my wash-day scarf or cap (so my normal caps aren't oily), then sleep. After that, I wake up, put on my deep conditioner, and let that sit for at least an hour, then wash my hair, L.O.C., and let it air dry. After that, I bun & go.

Milady_DeWinter
February 17th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Hip+ almost BCL, 2c/3a/iii/f

I need about 5 min daily, to brush and do a LWB; I sleep with my hair braided so it makes things WAY easier. If I feel fancy I can try another kind of bun/style that might take me about 15 min or so. If my ends feel dry I apply a bit of Nightblooming's salves, and a couple of oil drops.

On wash days, 1,5 up to 2h: wash (ROO), detangle, dry, appling salves and oild to my ends, and style (a half up if I go out and about, if not a bun/braid)

Jo Ann
February 17th, 2019, 02:19 PM
Just shy of BCL here.

Brushing/combing/bunning/sleep-braiding--about five minutes/day.

Nothing special on shampoo days--no special routine, other than LOC, so add another three minutes to that.

All told: maybe 40-45 minutes/week. Not bad, if I do say so myself :cheese:

Zesty
February 17th, 2019, 05:24 PM
It varies, but probably more than I have to, strictly speaking.

In the average morning, just a minute or two max, because I am sleepy and therefore I just put it up in an easy bun without combing or brushing. This month I've been doing a hairstyle challenge so I might spend 15 minutes fixing my hair into something more complicated.

Afternoon I take it down and brush before putting it back up, that's maybe 5-10 minutes because I like to linger.

I take pictures a lot of days, but that doesn't take too long.

Wash day I'm actively messing with it for about an hour. I won't count air drying because I do other stuff during that.

Of course, when I do an oil treatment it's longer, and I try to do that once a week or every other week. That's an hours-long multi-step process. But again, I do other stuff while it's under the heat cap, so I'm not focused on my hair the entire time.

ANYWAY, I probably spend more time on my hair than a lot of folks, but that's because it's a fun hobby for me, not because it's a required personal grooming routine. :shrug:

SurprisingWoman
February 17th, 2019, 05:40 PM
Fingertip

I washed today and it took me 15 minutes to shower and wash/condition my hair.

Normal day.... 5 minutes to brush and either leave down or throw in a bun.

lapushka
February 17th, 2019, 05:43 PM
past knee

daily - average of 10 minutes, some detangling, bunning and rebunning

weekly (wash day) - about 45 minutes (detangle, wash, detangle - not counting drying time as I'm doing other stuff)

I airdry for about 2-4H and so it "seems" as if I spend half a day on my hair, but it's just "there" when air drying, right? ;)

Simsy
February 17th, 2019, 05:45 PM
Just past classic over here.

I might spend a couple of minutes combing out tangles and sheds every couple of days. I don’t comb every day, and I’ll rarly pull my bun down every day if I don’t have to. Washday usually ends up being a couple of hours to detangle, wash, and detangle again.

embee
February 18th, 2019, 05:20 AM
I am astonished at the number of folks who say they "just put it up in the morning, don't comb or brush". If I did that I'd be ashamed to leave my house, and the shorter wisps around my face would be driving me *nuts*, tickle tickle. Maybe it's my hair type. There'd be epic cleavage and those annoying hair bumps everywhere too.

For me, brushing out and putting up is like brushing my teeth, it's part of getting up in the morning! Otherwise, I'm not really dressed yet. ;)

MusicalSpoons
February 18th, 2019, 05:28 AM
^ I always comb it if I'm going to leave the house; I just don't leave the house very often nowadays :laugh:

Hairkay
February 18th, 2019, 10:08 AM
I airdry for about 2-4H and so it "seems" as if I spend half a day on my hair, but it's just "there" when air drying, right? ;)

That's the convenience of air drying. You go about your business or leisure and it just dries.

neko_kawaii
February 18th, 2019, 05:49 PM
I am astonished at the number of folks who say they "just put it up in the morning, don't comb or brush". If I did that I'd be ashamed to leave my house, and the shorter wisps around my face would be driving me *nuts*, tickle tickle. Maybe it's my hair type. There'd be epic cleavage and those annoying hair bumps everywhere too.

For me, brushing out and putting up is like brushing my teeth, it's part of getting up in the morning! Otherwise, I'm not really dressed yet. ;)

I wonder if it is a texture thing. I see you are a 1a, so very straight hair. On your straight hair, "hair bumps everywhere" is considered messy. On me, I consider getting some body at scalp to be an accomplishment, as the weight of my length usually pulls the hair close to scalp straight. I love the way my hair at scalp looks when I "ploop" while it dries. I'm a wavy, but some curly girl techniques work for me when I want to highlight my texture.

I have a bunch of new toy pictures to take, so I'll do one each day and post the lot together for a day-to-day comparison. I don't THINK it looks all that different or particularly messy when left uncombed between washes, but I could be wrong!

cjk
February 18th, 2019, 06:15 PM
I am astonished at the number of folks who say they "just put it up in the morning, don't comb or brush". If I did that I'd be ashamed to leave my house,

Braided Saturday and my pigtails were released into a ponytail Sunday. Otherwise untouched since then, and it's currently Monday night.

Three days.

https://i.imgur.com/q3dX5Ye_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/qjLfDSJ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

AutobotsAttack
February 18th, 2019, 07:32 PM
Since I’ve had my hair in protective styles (braids or flat twists), and I’ve been stretching my washes to once a week. Daily, I don’t do much to my hair, just wake up, moisturize my braids, and spray my scalp treatment, then I cover my head with my beanie.

On wash days, it’s a different story. Given the nature of my hair, it’s fine, but rather dense, and it being Afro-Textured demands that I be deliberate yet gentle. So my wash days can be as long as 5-6 hours. I shampoo, condition, deep condition, air dry, gentle finger separate my hair, part into sections and re-braid/twist my hair up for the next week.

So it’s really one day where I have to spend a lot more time and attention on my hair but I don’t mind. I typically do it on my off days where I have a bunch of time to relax and enjoy caring for my hair.

kikuhoshi
February 18th, 2019, 08:38 PM
I wonder if it is a texture thing.

Funny enough, I'm also a 1a (I'm a straight F/i, though, not an F/M/i/ii like embee). I can easily go a week without brushing - no scalp bumps or anything like that. I've mostly stopped brushing my hair - just one time a week, once it's completely dry after my wash. It's interesting how different hair can be, even within the same texture/curl pattern.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 19th, 2019, 01:33 AM
Five minutes to detangle and bun it every morning. Washdays are different, of course.

Ligeia Noire
February 19th, 2019, 06:58 AM
Usually and if no special occasions, Monday through Saturday ten minutes. Sunday all day :p

tlatzoteotl
February 19th, 2019, 11:49 AM
I only spend a few minutes detangling in the morning, then put it up in single-twist nautilus-type bun. It's somewhere between hip length and tailbone length...too short to do much with yet, unfortunately, but I can put my hair up in seconds, so yay! Good enough for me.

Anyway.

Wash day is another story. I try to wash my hair by early afternoon on Sunday so it has a good 8-10 hours loose around the house to dry. It usually still feels damp when I wake up the next morning, but dry enough to brush and put in a braid or bun. Braids are best when my hair is freshly washed, although I came home from work yesterday afternoon and my husband said it looked like I had been sleeping in it. LOL

TreesOfEternity
February 19th, 2019, 12:57 PM
My hair is WL and I spend about 2min in the morning (brushing + bunning) and 5 or so at night (moisturizer + oil, brush and braid). A fancy hairstyle adds 15 to 30 minutes more.

On wash day I can spend 2 hours on it if I’m doing a deep treatment.

Corvana
February 19th, 2019, 01:24 PM
Currently I don't even bother detangling daily anymore. I just put it up when I wake up, which takes max 45 seconds, and then leave it! Sometimes I'll need to redo my bun, as my hair is slippy and I generally prefer sticks so it's more likely to fall on slippy days. Redoing is another 45-ish seconds! So maybe 2-3 minutes all day?

That's just the average day, though. Some days I'll S&D, some days I'll need to finger detangle (that only takes a couple minutes though), and some days I'll need to put some leave-in on my ends because they're extra dry. Those days (except S&D days) add maybe another minute or two to my daily hair fiddling :laugh:

Weird to think about! I didn't realize it was so little!

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2019, 11:12 AM
I didn't take a day 1 picture. I braided it for sleep that night and day 2 tossed the braid up in a messy bun.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7919/33283340648_223ff45430.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/SH8PAQ)

Day 3 - after sleeping in the same braid
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7883/46244371995_537de09565.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2dssuEx)

Day 4 - after sleeping in silk sleep cap
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7899/46244371905_e0625695c6.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2dssuCZ)

sophia_
February 20th, 2019, 01:59 PM
As a daily washer and a hairstyle switcher/periodic brusher, probably around an hour total, lol. It's not all at once, though.

spidergoat
February 20th, 2019, 03:23 PM
On a regular day, probably five minutes in the morning to detangle and bun, with an additional five to ten minutes throughout the day to redo my bun if needed. Two minutes at night to braid.
On a wash day it could be anywhere between fifteen minutes to two hours to wash and deep condition, plus air dry time, but my hair dries pretty quickly if it's loose. I wash twice a week.

nycelle
February 20th, 2019, 05:18 PM
Too much time today.

I conditioned first, then used a sulfate free clarifying shampoo that leaves your hair and scalp literally squeaky clean. I then tried Lapushak's oil method (for like the 5th time but with Marula oil this time - need to use it up), rinsed and followed with squish to condish with another conditioner. This was this morning- my hair is still drying!! WTH??!!

GoldenRussian
February 20th, 2019, 06:36 PM
Tbh I'm a bit neglecting it. I wear it in a ponytail and don't brush it everyday. But I have a bleached length, so I don't really mind about that. The sebum is covering my natural hair and that's all that matters to me. But I should spend around 10 minutes everyday brushing it with my BBB and massaging the scalp. Right now, I'm spending like 10 minutes twice a week detangling it.

Simsy
February 21st, 2019, 05:58 AM

I wonder if it is a texture thing. I see you are a 1a, so very straight hair. On your straight hair, "hair bumps everywhere" is considered messy. On me, I consider getting some body at scalp to be an accomplishment, as the weight of my length usually pulls the hair close to scalp straight. I love the way my hair at scalp looks when I "ploop" while it dries. I'm a wavy, but some curly girl techniques work for me when I want to highlight my texture.

I have a bunch of new toy pictures to take, so I'll do one each day and post the lot together for a day-to-day comparison. I don't THINK it looks all that different or particularly messy when left uncombed between washes, but I could be wrong!

Curls do hide a multitude of sins...

Braided Saturday and my pigtails were released into a ponytail Sunday. Otherwise untouched since then, and it's currently Monday night.

Three days.

https://i.imgur.com/q3dX5Ye_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/qjLfDSJ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

About what my braids look like after 3 days. Fluffy but still somewhat tidy.

Reservechic
February 21st, 2019, 11:28 AM
I only use one product to style my hair with, and because I'm currently wearing my hair in a bun and will be for an extended period of time, all I do on a day-to-day basis is take my hair down, apply some more styling cream, and put my hair back into a bun, and that's it! I keep things super simple with my hair. On my wash days now, my styling cream doubles as both a leave-in+styler, so I am able to get away with using only one product, and my hair has no complaints whatsoever.

So, it definitely takes me less than 10 minutes for me to do my hair on a day-to-basis. Of course, in my hair wash days, it takes me longer, probably no more than 3 hours, when I shampoo, deep, condition and style my hair. Of course, the time is a whole lot less if I just use a co-wash to cleanse my hair and then style my hair ftwrwards, on what I consider to be one of my "lazy day hair washes".

Oh, and I only detangle my hair on my hair wash days only. I don't like go do a whole lot of major manipulating of my hair. Which is why, I only take a brush to my hair normally once a week. In between my hair wash days, I finger style my hair only. Which is why, the shedder hair I see that come from my hair on a day-to-day basis, is very minimal at this time.

Luna Starsetta
February 21st, 2019, 01:06 PM
I would say roughly 5-10 min but if it's wash day well it's called wash day for a reason...i'd say a good 2 hours not including dry time since i air dry.

Uproo
February 23rd, 2019, 03:01 PM
About 20-30 minutes every day

Natalia_A00
February 23rd, 2019, 06:07 PM
I don't style my hair but recently I've started to finger comb (and normal comb too) and brush way more carefully, so it takes 5-7 minutes every morning. I usually wear it loose or in braids, but I braid very fast.

Natalia_A00
February 23rd, 2019, 06:08 PM
Then at night I just detangle (exactly like in the mornings) and I do a side braid or 2 braids for bed. That's pretty much it, if I'm not doing a special treatment

ArabellaRose
February 24th, 2019, 03:37 AM
On a non-wash day it takes maybe a minute to LCO and about 10 seconds to bun.

On a normal wash day it takes about 10 minutes to WCC and ROO, leave up in a towel for 15-30 minutes, finger rectangle takes about 2 minutes and then LCO. Mostly takes about 2-3 hours to air dry.

Once a week I clarify and deep condition which takes 25 minutes at the least (longer if I fancy leaving the conditioner in longer) and then the same amount of time drying as a normal wash day.

Also, I rarely need to brush my hair and I'm too length 1b :)

emmalouise
February 24th, 2019, 04:51 AM
Less than 10 minutes. My hair's not particularly long (yet) and stick straight so a brush and a little bit of dry shampoo and I'm good to go.
On a wash day it's not too much longer, adding maybe 10 minutes for treatments.

clandestine
February 24th, 2019, 08:35 AM
If I think about it not very long. On a typical no wash day in the morning I take out my sleep style, pin or twist my bangs back and bun or braid. Wash day or the day before means coconut oil but that is a passive time investment. During my wash I probably spend 25 minutes in the shower, then I dry in a tshirt, before removing it and applying leave ins. I dont comb or brush every day and keep my styles pretty basic.

Normal day 10ish minutes, maybe 15.
Wash day, 20-30.

It varies a lot but I don't think I spend a ton of time especially when it's a very relaxing part of my day.

Beckstar
February 24th, 2019, 11:44 AM
30 seconds to straighten my bangs and another 30 seconds to run my fingers through it. Right now I'm only water washing every other week and occasionally using a little bit of Moroccan oil to detangle.

SimplySmile
March 11th, 2019, 02:14 PM
Way too much time..

Especially if I get in one of those modes where I want to try all of my old hair toys with my new short hair..

I try all the different size flexis I have they don't work.. Then I try my hair sticks they don't work either...

Then I throw them across the room and curse the world for encouraging me to chop off my hair.

:rant:

Claw clips are the only thing's that will hold up my layered bun with out unwinding it self. I sometimes forget this and think it has been a week my hair must have grown long enough to be able to use on those old hair toys and I start the whole darn cycle all over again..

Dark40
March 11th, 2019, 05:19 PM
On washdays I spend 30 minutes shampooing and conditioning, and on non-washday it's 5-10 minutes putting it in a bun.

BerrySara
March 11th, 2019, 05:37 PM
On a daily basis I spend about 5-10 min depending if I need to spray a little water to refresh curls but usually no more than 10 min.

But wash days...well that's a whole other thing...hours....yes hours lol.

Servana
March 11th, 2019, 07:42 PM
I currently have BSL hair but when I've been at waist or hip my routine has always been the same.

On a non-wash day: 3-5 minutes brushing my hair.
On a wash day: 5 minutes brushing my hair and pinning back the greasy parts, 20 minutes washing, conditioning and detangling, 2 hours waiting for it to dry, including wearing it in a towel and thenafter squeezing the ends in a towel every 20 minutes or so.

I used to wash my hair every day because it is extremely greasy but the routine was just too time-consuming.

Lizabeth94
March 11th, 2019, 07:53 PM
I probably spend at least 30 mins a day on hair, and I currently have a pixie cut :rollin:

To be fair I have to shampoo and condition my hair once or twice a day due to my job... and also having short hair means I'm constantly fussing, trying to make it part and lay down just the way that I want, feeling very self conscious about it.

blesseddamozel
March 11th, 2019, 07:59 PM
I have (just nearly) waist length hair and I spend about 10 minutes a day brushing it, putting it into that style for the day, brushing it again, and putting it into a sleep braid at the end of the day. It's the daily styling part that takes about 5-6 minutes of that time because depending on the condition my hair is in I'll have to add some oil or product and sometimes my hair will have too much slip and I'll have to make a few attempts at whatever style I'm going for until I get sufficient hold.

On a wash day it's about 1-2 hours of actively doing stuff to my hair but sometimes I'll leave oils or treatments in it for many, many hours leading to the wash.

RottenMango
April 25th, 2019, 12:47 PM
Shampoo days- 15-20 minutes
Non shampoo days- 10 minutes

rhosyn_du
April 25th, 2019, 01:25 PM
Non-wash day: 5-10 minutes, depending on how fancy I want to get with my updo
Wash day: 15-20 minutes
Color & deep conditioning day: 3 hours

HaMalka
April 25th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Non-brushing days - <1 min
Brushing days - 7-8 minutes
Wash days - 1-2 hours

SwanFeathers
April 25th, 2019, 01:49 PM
5 min to go up in the morning, 5 min to come down and braid for sleep at night.

hayheadsbird
April 26th, 2019, 05:26 PM
Depends on the day. Normal day, about 5 mins for detangling and nautilus or lwb, 2 mins to English plait for bed.
If I have more time or the inclination it might be a more complex braided style, with accents etc, so could be 30 minutes or more. If it's in a braided bun take out pins and leave alone at bedtime. If it's wash day, an extra 5-10 mins in shower and down till dry. So anything from 30 seconds (no detangle, just bun) - rare
7 minutes - normal day
45+ minutes - occasional

gin
July 19th, 2019, 08:41 PM
Way too much time! I'm fairly new to hairtoys, buns and updos, etc. so I feel like I'm constantly exploring new options and styles. I usually wake up and put my hair up in something (some bun or wrapped up in a stain scarf, it varies every day), then after a few hours of working (I work from home) I usually do a workout, so I change my hair for that (depending on what the workout is). Then after the workout I change my hair to let the sweat, etc. air out. Then I'll probably change it one more time for the rest of the day - UNLESS I see something on LHC or Youtube that I want to try. I've also been recently getting new hairtoys so I'll experiment with those throughout the day. If it's a climbing day, then I'll have to change my hair before going climbing. Then after climbing it's whatever hairstyle until sleep time. So yeah, right now I mess with my hair a lot. :)

Although honestly, I don't know how much it will decrease once I get used to my hair and routine more. Between working, workouts, climbing, and all other activities I usually do throughout the day, there really isn't one type of hairstyle that can accommodate all those activities.

H o n є y ❤
July 20th, 2019, 12:53 AM
Wash day, probably 45 minutes

Regular days 10 to 20 minutes

Stray_mind
July 20th, 2019, 11:18 PM
Wash day-about 20 minutes
Every day-5 to 10 minutes, depending on what updo i choose.

AuntyMiki
July 21st, 2019, 12:57 AM
20 min to wash and condition twice a week. 5 minutes at most on non washing days to brush and pin up.

hennalove
July 21st, 2019, 10:30 AM

I'd guess on average 15 minutes daily as long as it isn't a henna, conditioning or wash day. Mine is just past TBL so I comb out in the morning, oil then bun. At night, I comb out, oil then night bun. Wash days are still likely about 15 maybe 20 minutes. Conditioning days add 2 hrs and henna/indigo add upwards of 8 to 10 hours.

Wecaun
July 21st, 2019, 05:24 PM
I spend about 2 or 3 minutes in the morning brushing it and putting it up. On wash days I about 20 minutes on it directly and hours being conscious of its wet, fragile state.

Alila
July 21st, 2019, 07:02 PM
I'm getting close to knee length.
In a regular week I spent on average 9 minutes per day actively manipulating my hair. I probably spent another minute getting my hair out of the way when sitting down, etc. (I like to wear a side braid) So that's 10 minutes.

It breaks down into 2 minutes braiding and brushing every morning and night, a 15 minute hair wash on Mondays and 2 or 3 2 minute fringe washes per week. Additionally, I do sports 4 times a week and I do a dedicated hairstyle for each of them (5 minutes braid/bun for swimming, 6 minutes folded up English braid for Muay Thai, 3 minutes english braid for karate, 2 minutes bun for couple dancing)

When I don't have to leave the house my average time activaly manipulating my hair drops to 5 minutes per day per week.

But that's just an estimate. Sometimes I want to do something fancy with my hair or I need to change by hair into a bun. Or I need to redo my hairstyle 3 times in one day because nothing feels comfortable.
I'm also not including an oiling of leave in routine because I don't have one. I have a few products that I use depending on how my hair feels :p

sumidha
July 21st, 2019, 07:10 PM
Heh, about one minute putting it up every day, about ten minutes detangling every three or four days-ish and closer to fifteen minutes detangling once a week after I wash it.

Strwberryfields
July 22nd, 2019, 06:54 AM
Very little. I’m not skilled in tons of styles unfortunately.

manticore
July 22nd, 2019, 12:59 PM
Typical day: 1 minute to brush and put in bun

Once a week: hair washing routine. This takes a while, idk how long. maybe 30-45 minutes? Sometimes I do a leave-in moisture treatment here which adds another 30 minutes.

Every whatever number of weeks, when the mood strikes me: 5-10 minutes re-shaving the side of my head :p

Every six months ish: trim ends. Idk how long this takes. 15, 20 minutes?

Hair length: uhhhhhhhh haven’t actually checked in a while haha. Past waist, not quite tailbone I don’t think. Hip probably. (with one side of head shaved, as mentioned above)

Reservechic
July 22nd, 2019, 06:28 PM
On a regular day, I would say 5 minutes max. I'm currently bunning my hair, so my daily routine is as simple as it gets. Which in this super hot and humid weather where I live at, it's way too hot for me to even think about wearing my hair down. It be 80 degrees where I live at, and that's before it even hits 8 o' clock in the morning.

On a wash day, if I just co-wash and style my hair, it will take me less than 30 minutes for me to do all of this.

On a regular wash day, where, I wash, deep condition, add style my hair, it could run upwards of 2 hours. This is mainly due to exactly how long I choose to deep condition is all.

i currently air dry my hair, which is what happens to take the longest amount of time (around 4 hours) on my hair wash days overall.