PDA

View Full Version : Short thoughts

Stardreamer
February 15th, 2019, 04:36 PM
I'm legit thinking about getting short maybe chin-length hair. Can I have some advice? I have curlyish hair but I want it straight, not curly, when it's short... what is short hair like? What's your experience having short hair? Who does it suit? Do you have to straighten it often? Please reply :)

Stray_mind
February 15th, 2019, 04:42 PM
I'm legit thinking about getting short maybe chin-length hair. Can I have some advice? I have curlyish hair but I want it straight, not curly, when it's short... what is short hair like? What's your experience having short hair? Who does it suit? Do you have to straighten it often? Please reply :)

I have had a layered chin length bob
I enjoyed it for a year. It Does suit me, but i got bored of ot after that, because of lack of styling options.

If you are a curly, you will have ti straighten it if you want straight hair, which is quite damaging in the long run.

I advise to think carefully before you cut, since you might regret it afterwards and growing your hair back out will take a long time.

Groovy Granny
February 15th, 2019, 04:43 PM
IMHO short hair is more work.....
Mine needed to be freshed/styled daily and washed often.

Your hair is pretty curly going by your typing....so keeping it straight will be a daily job and most likely will cause damage.

Some could care less because they trim off the damage maintaining the shorter length.....but with the curl it may be a frustrating battle.

OTOH....if you did the curly girl method and encouraged your curl at chin length, that would be healthier and easier to keep up.

I prefer the variety of styling longer hair gives me as well as the ease of care, so I won't go back to chin length unless I have no choice and would encourage my natural curls :shrug:

GrowlingCupcake
February 15th, 2019, 04:45 PM
I'm not curly, but when I had short hair (including a chin length bob), my waves were much more pronounced. I usually had them cut it longer than chin length to account for the shrinkage. Chances are you would have to straighten it.

Maybe you could try for a long bob style cut first? That shouldn't be too hard to grow out if it is much curlier than you like.

Edit: I quite liked my short hair; it varied between chin length, and brushing my shoulders. I didn't style it or fuss with it, just let my natural texture be other than telling my hair dresser to cut it a little longer to account for the shrinkage. Didn't bother with LOC, WCC, ROO or any of that. It was a breeze, really. It also had way more bounce, movement, and life to it than my long hair.

The bounce, movement, and life is really what I miss about my short hair.

Stardreamer
February 15th, 2019, 04:49 PM
I'm so bored of my hair right now! Whatever style I do, is boring and uncomfortable... usually I have a high bun but this pulls on my hair too tightly. I like the idea of short hair but I'd have to style it, I really don't know. I have no hair inspiration right now. I like having practical hair, long hair just flops around.

Groovy Granny
February 15th, 2019, 04:55 PM
Well, maybe just do a trim....a little at a time; sometimes just that gives your hair a different look and feel....and maybe get a couple of new hair toys and add a new style or variation.

GrowlingCupcake
February 15th, 2019, 04:57 PM
I'm so bored of my hair right now! Whatever style I do, is boring and uncomfortable... usually I have a high bun but this pulls on my hair too tightly. I like the idea of short hair but I'd have to style it, I really don't know. I have no hair inspiration right now. I like having practical hair, long hair just flops around.

Well, why did/do you want long hair to begin with? Maybe reexamining why will tell you if you should continue on your long hair journey or go back to a style you are more likely to enjoy?

Curly bobs are quite pretty as well; would you be open to a curly bob rather than a straight one?

Well, maybe just do a trim....a little at a time; sometimes just that gives your hair a different look and feel....and maybe get a couple of new hair toys and add a new style or variation.

Also this. You could go shorter in increments.

CopperButterfly
February 15th, 2019, 11:24 PM
So my sister has curly hair, somewhere in the 3's. Last year sheer cut her tbl into a lob and she loves it, and had continued to go shorter so she's now just a little past chin length. She does not straighten it though, she just does the curly girl method, and her hair looks great. The biggest thing is she has to go get it cut every 8 weeks or so to maintain the cut. Otherwise she finds it easier than the long hair.

I enjoy long hair because I like all the different styling possibilities. Short hair is more limited.

illicitlizard
February 16th, 2019, 01:06 AM
Short hair is good if you want it! I think it suits just about anyone looks wise but you do need more of a commitment to daily styling if you want to look nice. I would also say it's going to be an uphill battle if you want to fight your hair texture with a straightener it will definitely cause damage.
If the problem is boredom, maybe just getting a different cut at your current length, some colour or slightly shorter hair than what you have now will alleviate that without having to chop it all off?
Hope you find a way to make yourself hair happy :)

blackgothicdoll
February 16th, 2019, 08:12 AM
Short curly hair is far more difficult than long curly hair. I see you're in the awkward state, which is somehow harder than the short state, but it's easy to regret a short haircut thinking it'll be easier to maintain. Trust me, I just came back from that.

If you want to use heat frequently to keep it straight, then keeping it short is a good idea to avoid it looking thin when it (inevitably) becomes damaged. If you just plan on brushing it out, I have high doubts it will work without you becoming a fluffball. Again, short curly hair is not very forgiving.

spidermom
February 16th, 2019, 08:55 AM
O.k., well, you do know that there are short haircuts that suit curly hair, right?

I enjoy short hair as much as long hair, but long hair does open a lot more styling possibilities. If you're bored with your hair now, you may well find yourself bored with short hair and the styling limitations pretty fast. Of course, hair grows, so you can always grow it out again. That is what I'm doing.

lapushka
February 16th, 2019, 10:07 AM

How long is your hair currently? 16.5 inches is what on you?

It may be in an awkward length of growing and that is why you are getting these thoughts to cut it off. It is not going to be easier. And it's no fun having to straighten 3b/c hair daily, no way no how. And it is very damaging as well.

What's your routine like now? Washing? Styling? Heat or not?

cjk
February 16th, 2019, 12:47 PM
As a fellow curly I felt the need to chime in.

You mentioned heat styling, and damage is cumulative, so your tips are the most damaged of all your hair. Further, cutting off the length will relieve it of the weight.

The result is likely to be shorter, healthier, curlier hair. Even more so than you currently have.

Further, if your hair is curly it is going to BE curly. The effort required to straighten your hair will be significant and on a rainy day, or even a humid one, your hair WILL revert to its natural texture whether you want it to or not.

Part of having naturally curly hair is learning to care for it properly. Curly girl is a very practical method, but not the only one. But it works well for a lot of us.

The other part of having naturally curly hair is accepting the...chaos. It is not hair that can be perfectly wrangled into a precise alignment. But the curls fall where they may, and always look striking.

There are flattering styles for curly hair. It's magnificent when styled right. But most of us, out of either ignorance or fear of yet another bad haircut, just let it grow as long as possible, keep the damaged tips, and try to force it into some artificial shape.

Working WITH your hair is always a better idea than working against its natural tendencies. But ultimately it is your decision.

Google "curly girl method" and read about it. The decision is yours.

Stardreamer
February 16th, 2019, 01:13 PM
How long is your hair currently? 16.5 inches is what on you?

It may be in an awkward length of growing and that is why you are getting these thoughts to cut it off. It is not going to be easier. And it's no fun having to straighten 3b/c hair daily, no way no how. And it is very damaging as well.

What's your routine like now? Washing? Styling? Heat or not?

My hair is about armpit length but hard to tell because it's so uneven and it gets longer at the back. My routine is like, I wash it lazily, sometimes every 3rd day and sometimes I'm too lazy and go a week or so without washing, I don't use heat at all nowadays but I have a straightener that I sometimes dig out. I don't style my hair, I just do buns and that's all.

Stardreamer
February 16th, 2019, 01:14 PM
Thanks for your comments everyone!

lapushka
February 16th, 2019, 03:47 PM
My hair is about armpit length but hard to tell because it's so uneven and it gets longer at the back. My routine is like, I wash it lazily, sometimes every 3rd day and sometimes I'm too lazy and go a week or so without washing, I don't use heat at all nowadays but I have a straightener that I sometimes dig out. I don't style my hair, I just do buns and that's all.

If it is APL, it is getting to the point where you can style it. Have you ever tried doing a simple peacock twist, with a claw clip. It is a style that got me through to hip, from the length where you are.

cjk
February 16th, 2019, 04:27 PM
If it is APL, it is getting to the point where you can style it. Have you ever tried doing a simple peacock twist, with a claw clip. It is a style that got me through to hip, from the length where you are.

I'm only at shoulder length and I've been doing lots of styles for the last year, ranging from braids to french twists to buns. Wearing my hair up is helpful, particularly when it's not cooperating. Awkward is a perfect word to describe those days.

2gaits
February 16th, 2019, 05:05 PM
Based on your current routine I would not recommend going shorter and straight. You are going to have a lot of work keeping it up. However a longer lob that can be worn in your natural texture or straightened occasionally might be fun. A collarbone length is quit versatile and can be braided, twisted or put in a ponytail.

Stardreamer
February 16th, 2019, 06:11 PM

I've never done a peacock twist or even heard of it

spidermom
February 16th, 2019, 07:41 PM
I've never done a peacock twist or even heard of it

Spend some time looking for hairstyles on YouTube. There are hundreds if not thousands.