PDA

View Full Version : Calling all serial hair cutters

toastertroodle
February 14th, 2019, 02:38 PM
I *love* the thrill of getting a dramatically different haircut. Every couple years or so I can’t fight the urge and I do a big chop then almost immediately start growing it back out. My hair is currently the longest it’s been in about 8 years, between APL and BSL but I’m feeling that desire for a big chop again (I’ve been considering a classic chin length bob which is a super low maintenance cut for me).

So, is there anything that scratches that itch for change/impulsiveness aside from cutting inches of your hair off? I’m not into dying my hair because I really enjoy my natural color and always regret coloring it. Any ideas are welcome because I don’t know how much longer I can resist!

Sarahlabyrinth
February 14th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Try learning some new updos? Buy some pretty hairtoys? And tell yourself that your hair is not going to get to where you want it to be if you keep cutting it off. And remember the Two Week Rule: Don't do any impulsive cutting, wait two weeks after you get the urge and then see if you still want to cut it.

Do some nice pampering treatments on your hair and see how beautifully it responds to tender care. Treat it with affection and you might not want to cut it any more :D

klmt
February 14th, 2019, 02:45 PM
Wow, are you me? I find I have to channel that desire to change something into something else, since it doesn't dissipate for me. In the past, when I've wanted to drastically cut my hair, I've: got an undercut instead; got a manicure with fake nails (very different from my usual bare nails); got my brows reshaped; cleaned out old clothes and rewarded myself with new clothes; started using a new go-to hairstyle; bought new glasses frames/got contacts.

Usually, one of those changes was enough to scratch my "change your appearance" itch, and then my new "look" makes the rest of me feel new too, including the hair I was close to chopping!

Ylva
February 14th, 2019, 03:08 PM
Maybe learn to make some hairtoys of your own. That way, you can channel your creativity into making them, any kind of crazy hairtoy you can imagine.

lapushka
February 14th, 2019, 03:32 PM
I *love* the thrill of getting a dramatically different haircut. Every couple years or so I can’t fight the urge and I do a big chop then almost immediately start growing it back out. My hair is currently the longest it’s been in about 8 years, between APL and BSL but I’m feeling that desire for a big chop again (I’ve been considering a classic chin length bob which is a super low maintenance cut for me).

So, is there anything that scratches that itch for change/impulsiveness aside from cutting inches of your hair off? I’m not into dying my hair because I really enjoy my natural color and always regret coloring it. Any ideas are welcome because I don’t know how much longer I can resist!

I used to get that "itch" every spring, or come spring. When I started to identify it, it rather quickly became less of an issue.

If you know that's what you do, and you want long hair, not a super trendy cut, then you know what you need to do from here on out. :flower:

It's up to you, though! But you will be making a choice for a shorter cut instead of long hair (which may be your ultimate goal).

milosmomma
February 14th, 2019, 03:53 PM
Maybe try a funky new hairstyle? I like to make a fake mohawk by braiding each side back and then braiding the top in a bigger dutch braid on top and joining all of them in the back. Search youtube for bun/style ideas. Somewhere between apl and bsl is where buns actually started to look like buns for me. Another style I've been trying to perfect is doing 3 buns down the center like Rey from starwars. Maybe an accent braid or an accent dread with beads? Someone else mentioned an undercut, or maybe a side shave but the grow out will be a loooong road for that one. Another thing that would be a commitment would be bangs. Let us know what you decide!

littlestarface
February 14th, 2019, 05:44 PM
Have you tried picking on something else for a bit instead of hair? I pay way more attention to my skin and perfumes than my hair.

toastertroodle
February 14th, 2019, 05:48 PM
Wow, are you me? I find I have to channel that desire to change something into something else, since it doesn't dissipate for me. In the past, when I've wanted to drastically cut my hair, I've: got an undercut instead; got a manicure with fake nails (very different from my usual bare nails); got my brows reshaped; cleaned out old clothes and rewarded myself with new clothes; started using a new go-to hairstyle; bought new glasses frames/got contacts.

Usually, one of those changes was enough to scratch my "change your appearance" itch, and then my new "look" makes the rest of me feel new too, including the hair I was close to chopping!

That is so funny that you mentioned the glasses, I seriously just got some new frames for this very reason haha! Unfortunately though it wasn’t enough to keep the monster at bay :rolleyes:

toastertroodle
February 14th, 2019, 05:49 PM
Maybe learn to make some hairtoys of your own. That way, you can channel your creativity into making them, any kind of crazy hairtoy you can imagine.

I love this idea, thank you!!

blesseddamozel
February 14th, 2019, 06:13 PM
Seconding making your own hairtoys!!! I try to channel any urge to cut into just taking extra good care of my length. It reminds me I came a long way and want to keep growing, not be set back :)

ReadingRenee
February 14th, 2019, 06:42 PM
If you don't have bangs, maybe cutting bangs would help? I know that always helps me because when I pull my hair back with bangs it gives me more the look of short hair.

Can you make a faux bob and wear it around the house? I used to do that and eventually when I took my hair down I was so happy that I still had my hair.

Every time you are happy that you have long hair and are growing it, document it. Write about why you are so happy you didn't cut your hair.

The last time I cut my hair and started to regret it and miss my long hair, I started this long letter to myself about why I preferred long hair and don't really like short hair on myself even though I think I do. Whenever I get the urge to cut I go look at that letter and i keep adding to it as well. I don't know how your hair texture is, but I remind myself that I don't like styling my hair (even though I think I do) and when its that short it is not going to look like the pinterst bobs without styling and work. That also helps.

Good luck, I have been where you are several times. I cut my hair last time because of headaches but I am trying again because I really do like long hair on me better.

Longlegs
February 14th, 2019, 06:57 PM
Can you think about how long it took to grow back after the last cut. ? maybe reminding yourself of how quick it was to cut - but growing it long again takes a lot more time. you won't get back to where you are now lengthwise for quite a while.

Entangled
February 14th, 2019, 07:00 PM
Sorry, I have nothing to contribute but when I saw the thread title I just pictured a Jack-the-Ripper-esque figure lopping off locks. Gave me a bit of a double take.

toastertroodle
February 15th, 2019, 05:57 AM
Have you tried picking on something else for a bit instead of hair? I pay way more attention to my skin and perfumes than my hair.

Yes actually, I’ve recently been really in to skincare and it’s been great! I guess I should really channel that enthusiasm into my hair and see what happens, I’ve never actually stuck with a hair care routine.

toastertroodle
February 15th, 2019, 06:01 AM
Thank you for your great ideas! I do sort of have bangs that are well into the awkward growing out length. I’ve been considering getting them cut again because I have pretty noticeable recession in my hairline that I’m pretty self conscious about (not to mention I’m only 25 :rolleyes: ) and bangs really help cover that up.

toastertroodle
February 15th, 2019, 06:02 AM
Can you think about how long it took to grow back after the last cut. ? maybe reminding yourself of how quick it was to cut - but growing it long again takes a lot more time. you won't get back to where you are now lengthwise for quite a while.

This is what I keep trying to tell myself anytime I think about cutting it!

toastertroodle
February 15th, 2019, 06:03 AM
Sorry, I have nothing to contribute but when I saw the thread title I just pictured a Jack-the-Ripper-esque figure lopping off locks. Gave me a bit of a double take.

Haha!! I didn’t even consider that!

Sid0rela
February 15th, 2019, 07:07 AM
I'm not the one to speak because I myself have been making the APL-CL length a very annoying route for my hair growing journey...

One thing that helped me restraining myself from a cut was just trimming the ends a little bit so I felt like i had a fresh mane.
What also helped me was I styled my hair and it looked so nice and long-er than it was for years and i liked that.

You may want to set your goals first.
Which length is your favorite of them all? And if you have that goal in mind look at pictures of girls with that length and similar hair to you..

*Wednesday*
February 15th, 2019, 08:20 AM
I think this is why many people don't achieve longer lengths due to the desire to keep cutting it. In order to have very long hair, you have to let it be. Sometimes people lack the many years of patience it takes. If you wait those years of patience will reward you.

sugar&nutmeg
February 15th, 2019, 03:11 PM
I don't have a 'super-low-maintenance' short do (like your chin-length bob, toastertroodle.)

But I do get the urge to cut shorter, thinking it will be 'more fun', or 'easier'.

What helps to stop me, interestingly (?), is going to the transition threads here, especially one focused on the length of my fantasy shorter 'so much easier, prettier, better' length, and reading about people's annoyances, and how they can't wait to get past that length! I sometimes find myself saying "ohhhh, yeah, I remember that..." and appreciating my longer length again.

(Again, I mean the transition threads, not to be confused with the threads for people who are *loving* some shorter length.)

Aeonian
February 15th, 2019, 03:23 PM
Story of my life, been there done that so many times. Now I just want to grow my hair to my waist and what really helps me is taking a lot of pictures of my hair when it looks really beautiful. When I get that pesky urge to run to the hairdresser I just scroll through my photos and see how long it takes to grow out a horrible chin lenght bob to shoulder lenght hair..that really helps to fight the urge. We can do this, don't give in! (unless your really, really want to) :)

toastertroodle
February 15th, 2019, 05:55 PM
Thank you everyone, I think that the urge has passed!! And now I have plenty of great tips to fight it off next time it inevitably returns. My plan now is to focus on taking really special care of my lengths while I wait to reach BSL. I’m going to have to do some research because boy am I overwhelmed. I currently CWC, do an Aussie 3 minute miracle deep treatment once every couple of weeks or so, and use a boar bristle brush but that’s really all as far as my hair care routine goes at the moment.

andrea1982
February 17th, 2019, 09:41 AM
Ugh. I keep doing this also. I've made it to waist twice and chopped it off to a bob in the last 11 years. I have regretted it both times. I could have possibly had classic to knee length hair by now! I have spent the majority of the past 11 years growing my hair, and a few months here or there wanting/enjoying shorter hair. Unfortunately, I cut during those times :(. I really love long hair, but I sometimes feel frumpy, out of style, and then I get the urge to chop. It's pretty intense in the moment, and sometimes lasts a few days. I am currently at BSL and determined not to have a significant cut ever again. It's been about 3 years since my last bob and this is what has helped me.

1. Procrastination. If you feel like you need to make a hair appointment, delay making it. Tell yourself you'll schedule it in a couple of months, but only if you feel the same way about the cut every day until then. I tell myself if I waiver at all with that decision, I have to start over my two month waiting period. The urge always passess.

2. Journaling: I keep a hair journal, and write down the reasons I want very long hair. I review this when I start to feel like I need a "new style". I also write down complements others give me. This helps the "frump" feeling. I also remind myself how much I hate traditional styling, upkeep with trims and color, and how I hate the feeling of damaged hair. Those are the things that really come with the cute blonde bob I am tempted to get.

3.Don't fool yourself. Every time I have cut I told myself I was done with long hair and wouldn't want it again, but I still kept my membership here, and all of my beautiful hair toys. On some level I knew I would grow my hair again. I wasn't willing to de-stash or quit my membership here. I also fool myself into thinking "I can always grow it back" when in reality, none of us are guaranteed good health and hair growth indefinitely, and I'm not getting any younger. And. it. takes. years. About a decade to get from a bob to classic. Also don't fool yourself into thinking you will be super into long hair for the whole journey. The enthusiasm waxes and wanes. The key is to not take any action when you are bored, just carry on. Other hobbies help, I love knitting!

Good luck with your journey!

lapushka
February 17th, 2019, 02:52 PM
Ugh. I keep doing this also. I've made it to waist twice and chopped it off to a bob in the last 11 years. I have regretted it both times. I could have possibly had classic to knee length hair by now! I have spent the majority of the past 11 years growing my hair, and a few months here or there wanting/enjoying shorter hair. Unfortunately, I cut during those times :(. I really love long hair, but I sometimes feel frumpy, out of style, and then I get the urge to chop. It's pretty intense in the moment, and sometimes lasts a few days. I am currently at BSL and determined not to have a significant cut ever again. It's been about 3 years since my last bob and this is what has helped me.

1. Procrastination. If you feel like you need to make a hair appointment, delay making it. Tell yourself you'll schedule it in a couple of months, but only if you feel the same way about the cut every day until then. I tell myself if I waiver at all with that decision, I have to start over my two month waiting period. The urge always passess.

2. Journaling: I keep a hair journal, and write down the reasons I want very long hair. I review this when I start to feel like I need a "new style". I also write down complements others give me. This helps the "frump" feeling. I also remind myself how much I hate traditional styling, upkeep with trims and color, and how I hate the feeling of damaged hair. Those are the things that really come with the cute blonde bob I am tempted to get.

3.Don't fool yourself. Every time I have cut I told myself I was done with long hair and wouldn't want it again, but I still kept my membership here, and all of my beautiful hair toys. On some level I knew I would grow my hair again. I wasn't willing to de-stash or quit my membership here. I also fool myself into thinking "I can always grow it back" when in reality, none of us are guaranteed good health and hair growth indefinitely, and I'm not getting any younger. And. it. takes. years. About a decade to get from a bob to classic. Also don't fool yourself into thinking you will be super into long hair for the whole journey. The enthusiasm waxes and wanes. The key is to not take any action when you are bored, just carry on. Other hobbies help, I love knitting!

Good luck with your journey!

I found that true for the first part of my journey, but once past BSL, past WL, and onto hip, when I could bun for the first time, I didn't want to go back to short. Then I halted at classic, and had a massive meltdown where I cut back to hip. I thought I couldn't "deal" with it anymore. I was just thankful I halted at hip (that mom stopped me) and that I could still bun!

But then I grew back to classic, and am now FTL onto knee (and maybe even longer), and I have such resolve (never had that much resolve before when growing).

I think it slowly comes with the amount of length that you gain as well.