PDA

View Full Version : What is this monstrosity? [silicone question]

Ylva
February 13th, 2019, 09:52 AM
amodimethicone/morpholinomethyl silsesquioxane copolymer

I know what amodimethicone is and how it works, but this is apparently a mix of amodimethicone and morpholinomethyl trimethoxysilane. There's very little information available about the latter, so does anyone know how it functions and if it builds up on itself (in this particular combination)?

Joules
February 13th, 2019, 10:07 AM
I always thought that when two names of ingredients are written with a slash it just means they're the same thing :confused:

Ylva
February 13th, 2019, 10:09 AM
I always thought that when two names of ingredients are written with a slash it just means they're the same thing :confused:

I assumed that first, too, but then I found the mix explanation. :shrug:

lapushka
February 13th, 2019, 10:33 AM
The explanation I can find is this:

"siloxane polymer consisting of morpholinomethyl trimethoxysilane and amodimethicone"

and it is used to "condition" the hair.

Ylva
February 13th, 2019, 10:42 AM
The explanation I can find is this:

"siloxane polymer consisting of morpholinomethyl trimethoxysilane and amodimethicone"

and it is used to "condition" the hair.

Yeah, that's what I posted in the original message as well, so I've been on that same page. But I am wondering if it builds up on itself, which amodimethicone alone does not do.

pailin
February 13th, 2019, 10:45 AM
Well, a copolymer is apparently a polymerization of more than one base molecule, in this case amodimethicone and morpholinomethyl silsesquioxane. Polymers in general actually end up being very large molecules.
I found mentions of it as a conditioning agent, a film-forming agent, and a hair fixative, which apparently means it helps to seal out moisture. Those things seem to fit with a polymer. Anyway, I didn't spot any mentions of whether it causes buildup in a quick search, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Or not? But really, there's no way to know without observing it in your own hair. Even ingredients that are notorious for causing buildup- some people never seem to have a problem. Sometimes I suspect that has more to do with the overall formulation and the rest of your routine than any one ingredient.
What sort of product did you find it in? If you already have the product containing it, I'd just try it and see how your hair does. If not, it's up to you whether to buy it or not.

Ylva
February 13th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Well, a copolymer is apparently a polymerization of more than one base molecule, in this case amodimethicone and morpholinomethyl silsesquioxane. Polymers in general actually end up being very large molecules.
I found mentions of it as a conditioning agent, a film-forming agent, and a hair fixative, which apparently means it helps to seal out moisture. Those things seem to fit with a polymer. Anyway, I didn't spot any mentions of whether it causes buildup in a quick search, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Or not? But really, there's no way to know without observing it in your own hair. Even ingredients that are notorious for causing buildup- some people never seem to have a problem. Sometimes I suspect that has more to do with the overall formulation and the rest of your routine than any one ingredient.
What sort of product did you find it in? If you already have the product containing it, I'd just try it and see how your hair does. If not, it's up to you whether to buy it or not.

Thank you for that info. It's in a shampoo - Schwarzkopf Bonacure Colour Freeze Silver Shampoo. I have used the product in the past, but my haircare routine was way different back then, so I never had to think about buildup.