PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about S/D -Curly

Luna Starsetta
February 12th, 2019, 08:51 PM
Hi there, I had a few questions about S/D I know the technique and how I like my hair to fall and since I have curly hair I brush it out with a BBB and then S/D I normally do this on wash day so I brush it out and then wash my hair and care for it. But my question is when do you guys S/D? And in what state is your hair in? Wet? Dry? What texture is your natural hair? Do you manipulate your hair to cut. What is the best a and easiest ways you guys found useful? Also the length of your hair?

I myself section off a small part hold it between 2 fingers and cut down the hair so I get the splits in the middle of the hair shaft as well.. Then I tend to snip the splits at the ends. However I'm open and wondering what you all do!

JennGalt
February 12th, 2019, 10:14 PM
I do my S&D dry, and I have a variety of curly textures and some wavy stuff. I just grab a section of hair and hold it up in front of a light source. The most tangle prone sections get examined first. I tried twisting my hair and with the intention of cutting anything that stuck out, but I think that technique might work better for straight hair. IME it’s better to just hold up a section of hair and let it spread a bit. I find that waiting until my curls have flattened makes it easier to separate the hairs and identify splits. Holding my hair up in front of a lamp helps too, as my splits are often translucent but glow red from henna use. I cut off any translucent ends too, and that seems to have cut down on actual splits quite a bit. I don’t know if holding hair up in front of a light would work with lighter colors, but it makes it easier for me to just look for glowy red tips among my black strands.

spidermom
February 13th, 2019, 06:42 AM
I decided to stop S&D. I always found thousands of split ends, and it would make me hate my hair.

spitfire511
February 13th, 2019, 06:44 AM
With JennGalt - (though I'm more of a wurly than a curly.) I do it dry - But I usually do it outside on a sunny day with a dark background. I don't S&D inside other than in the bathroom (where I can't see very well) because DH and I both are kind of nuts about the little hairs and cleanup! :D

I probably don't S&D frequently enough - like once every 2-3 months. I don't twist as any ends that have curl stay in the twist and I miss them. I do what Jenn does above and fan it out. I also look hard for white dots and thin or translucent ends that look like they need a snip!

Zesty
February 13th, 2019, 09:57 AM
My hair is straight (especially with my current routine) and classic length. I S&D dry. I do it irregularly, whenever I can get good sunlight, so more often in spring and summer than this time of year. I usually bend a lock over my finger and run down the length of it snipping anything I see. I do brush it smooth before starting a session. :)

Luna Starsetta
February 13th, 2019, 12:15 PM
Thank you ever one love reading the responses! They were helpful

gustavonut
February 13th, 2019, 12:17 PM
I decided to stop S&D. I always found thousands of split ends, and it would make me hate my hair.

That’s why I stopped, it made me obsessed and that’s the last thing I want.

lapushka
February 13th, 2019, 03:25 PM
You don't need to brush out your hair; you can S&D whenever, but I would not do this too often, unless your hair is severely damaged from bleach, dye, or chemical processes. It can thin out your hem, especially if you do this weekly or even more than once a week!

JennGalt
February 13th, 2019, 03:45 PM
You don't need to brush out your hair; you can S&D whenever, but I would not do this too often, unless your hair is severely damaged from bleach, dye, or chemical processes. It can thin out your hem, especially if you do this weekly or even more than once a week!

Brushing before S&D does seem to help, particularly for curlier sections. Both for detangling and to get all the strands pointing in one direction. I fan my hair out, but that’s a controlled spreading of strands aligned by a brush rather than unbrushed hair curling and frizzing and going every which way it pleases.

Luna Starsetta
February 13th, 2019, 04:54 PM
I'll keep that in mind, I haven't s/d since sometime last year so it kinda needs it. I don't really wanna do a cut... Even though maybe I should because I do have chemical dye damage on my ends. I have some fairy tale ends going on my it does not bother me! So I think a good S/D done by the DF will be much needed...

Dark40
February 13th, 2019, 05:01 PM
I agree with lapushka. That's why I don't do S/D's. Because, if done too often it could thin the hair or hemline out.

milosmomma
February 13th, 2019, 07:47 PM
I do it on dry hair that is I need of a wash and a little moisture. If I try on freshly washed hair I find that it smooths out alot of would be splits or seals them together giving the impression I have less than I actually do. Dry hair at the end of a wash cycle in desperate need of condition reveals more splits. I s&d in front of my big living room windows or outside on a nice sunny day when wind is low.

Luna Starsetta
February 22nd, 2019, 01:14 PM
thank you all. i enjoyed reading all of your responses on s/d! :o