PDA

View Full Version : Changing hairtexture?

Aeonian
February 11th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Hi everyone! I have wurly hair, but I have noticed different textures with different lengths, for example: when I had a pixie cut it was thick but straight, when it was ear length I had pretty, smooth waves in my hair. With my bob it was quite wavy but not very defined. Since I have shoulder length hair my texture is changing again, now I have mostly thick, frizzy hair without wurls. What's going on? Anyone experienced changing textures? Do you have any pictures?

Ylva
February 11th, 2019, 02:14 PM
I think it's quite normal for texture to change a bit as the hair gets longer. Some get wavier and others get straighter, depending on how their hair behaves. The frizz might result from increased difficulty keeping your hair moisturised?

SallySue
February 11th, 2019, 02:52 PM
You're not the only one. At pixie my hair was mostly effortlessly straight (pic 1), except rarely on a rainy day (pic 2). At bob length it turned into more of a body wave. Unfortunately I don't have many natural pics at that length because I was frequently using a flat iron, so I'm sorry for the poor quality of pic 3. You can see how my bangs were pretty straight with just a bit more texture past the ears. At shoulder length, I remember making a special trip to buy a curly hair product for the first time in years. It was not until after APL that I noticed more frizz, changed my routine, and realized I had full ringlets from the shoulder down. However, I believe if I were to chop back to shoulder now, they would be gone again. Just the way it grows.

https://i.imgur.com/gcjCISqh.jpg

lapushka
February 11th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Hi everyone! I have wurly hair, but I have noticed different textures with different lengths, for example: when I had a pixie cut it was thick but straight, when it was ear length I had pretty, smooth waves in my hair. With my bob it was quite wavy but not very defined. Since I have shoulder length hair my texture is changing again, now I have mostly thick, frizzy hair without wurls. What's going on? Anyone experienced changing textures? Do you have any pictures?

If you have wavy hair, it is "normal" for the real texture to only start popping up at around APL/BSL, so what you are going through is just normal. Don't worry about it. :)

Begemot
February 12th, 2019, 12:35 AM
You're not the only one. At pixie my hair was mostly effortlessly straight (pic 1), except rarely on a rainy day (pic 2). At bob length it turned into more of a body wave. Unfortunately I don't have many natural pics at that length because I was frequently using a flat iron, so I'm sorry for the poor quality of pic 3. You can see how my bangs were pretty straight with just a bit more texture past the ears. At shoulder length, I remember making a special trip to buy a curly hair product for the first time in years. It was not until after APL that I noticed more frizz, changed my routine, and realized I had full ringlets from the shoulder down. However, I believe if I were to chop back to shoulder now, they would be gone again. Just the way it grows.

https://i.imgur.com/gcjCISqh.jpg

Agreed. Love those ringlets!

milosmomma
February 12th, 2019, 01:02 AM
Sallysue those ringlets are just adorable. Op I have noticed my waves dont start until about ear/chin length, the top of my hair always remains smooth. When I had a chin length bob my hair had subtle waves at the bottom (and could scrunch some into the top) but as it gets longer they start to form into loose wurls. I think in addition to the added length that it has something to do with the hemline tapering out and not being quite so blunt that helps the wurls form.

SallySue
February 12th, 2019, 09:00 AM
Thank you guys ;) I had to coax them out, but once they were here, they were here to stay. My outlook was totally altered when I read the quote from Lorraine Massey, "frizz is a curl waiting to happen." Same thing is true for waves. They just need the right combination of moisture and hold to come out from the "poof" lol

Edited to give credit to lapushka here for suggesting the curly girl method to me. I never properly thanked you, but it changed my life in a good way. Thank you!

lapushka
February 12th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Thank you guys ;) I had to coax them out, but once they were here, they were here to stay. My outlook was totally altered when I read the quote from Lorraine Massey, "frizz is a curl waiting to happen." Same thing is true for waves. They just need the right combination of moisture and hold to come out from the "poof" lol

Edited to give credit to lapushka here for suggesting the curly girl method to me. I never properly thanked you, but it changed my life in a good way. Thank you!

SallySue, thank you. :D Things like this make my day, honestly they do! I'm glad you have found something that works for your hair!

Aeonian
February 13th, 2019, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the replies! So, it's just something I have to endure :) @sallysue, that is exactly how my hair behaves! I washed my hair today and put some biosilk in it, my hair poofed like a poodle. The thing is...I went outside with damp hair and only looked in the mirror when I returned home. Oh my! People must have thought I was electrocuted, it was really bad :) Now I can't wait to reach APL even more...would love to have real curls and waves and not the frizz ball what I'm having now.

lapushka
February 13th, 2019, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the replies! So, it's just something I have to endure :) @sallysue, that is exactly how my hair behaves! I washed my hair today and put some biosilk in it, my hair poofed like a poodle. The thing is...I went outside with damp hair and only looked in the mirror when I returned home. Oh my! People must have thought I was electrocuted, it was really bad :) Now I can't wait to reach APL even more...would love to have real curls and waves and not the frizz ball what I'm having now.

Oooh yep, the dreaded "triangle head". It gets better with length & weight added to the hair. Maybe doing more moisturizing treatments will help with the "poof"? :flower:

Aeonian
February 15th, 2019, 03:31 PM
Oooh yep, the dreaded "triangle head". It gets better with length & weight added to the hair. Maybe doing more moisturizing treatments will help with the "poof"? :flower:

Yeah, I was looking into how to moisturize my hair other than using conditioner and biosilk. I tried co washing but was one greasy mess, I have to wash with shampoo twice a week. Any tips Lapushka?

Longlegs
February 15th, 2019, 04:47 PM
Length drags my waves down and makes my hair straighter, I always use a leave-in conditioner to help with frizz.

lapushka
February 17th, 2019, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I was looking into how to moisturize my hair other than using conditioner and biosilk. I tried co washing but was one greasy mess, I have to wash with shampoo twice a week. Any tips Lapushka?

Maybe try CWC or WCC for washing (with shampoo). Link to WCC is in my signature, and the CWC thread is around here somewhere... yep, here:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53421

You basically condition twice with either one of these methods. If your hair is oily after CO-washing, I would stop trying to force it.

spidermom
February 17th, 2019, 03:21 PM
Yep - agreed; totally normal for natural texture of hair to appear different at different lengths.