PDA

View Full Version : So if I had to pay for the haircut, I’m keeping the hair.

Wildcat Diva
February 6th, 2019, 09:22 PM
So my kid wanted to chop off quite a few inches of hair. Sigh. I told him then if he does it, and I pay for it, that I get to keep the ponytail. Which I’ve added to my bun. It’s half my DNA anyways. A bit blond for me but, ah well. Anyone else stolen a family member’s locks (with permission haha)?

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img924/9247/F0JHAx.jpg

cjk
February 6th, 2019, 09:44 PM
It used to be common to braid, knit, tat, or otherwise manipulate the hair of a loved one into jewelry, necklaces in the Victorian era often contained hair.

SallySue
February 6th, 2019, 09:59 PM
Haha. That's cute! Nothing wrong with keeping a little memento (/accesory)

Katsura
February 6th, 2019, 10:46 PM
I haven't kept any familymember's hair, exept for a tiny lock that was from my kid's very first haircut I did for him. It's secured on the page of his babybook.
I think it's a very cute idea to wear your kid's locks.

Begemot
February 7th, 2019, 01:42 AM
How did your kid feel about this? :D You're carrying part of him with you, it's kinda cute! The blond blends well with your hair color.

Tinyponies
February 7th, 2019, 02:56 AM
Aw :) when my son was about five/six he cut off a few of his dreads that contained hair from when he was born. I had big dreads too at the time and sewed one in so that I had one with a fork which I covered with a bead and then two tails.

gustavonut
February 7th, 2019, 03:39 AM
I kept my ponytail from when I cut my hair. Who knows what I’ll do with it.

Wildcat Diva
February 7th, 2019, 04:52 AM
How did your kid feel about this? :D You're carrying part of him with you, it's kinda cute! The blond blends well with your hair color.

He was fine with it. But if he complains about it, I’ll give it back to him. He had said ok to it earlier this week and he was the one who brought the braided ponytail home after his haircut (his dad was the one who had time to take him to the barber shop). It was pretty long, about 8-10 inches of hair?

Another son, my youngest, strolled by behind me sitting at the table last night and let me know pointedly that it “didn’t even match” my hair. That’s just ribbing and because he can be a sassy teenage jerk, who cares what he thinks.

Begemot
February 7th, 2019, 05:01 AM
He was fine with it. But if he complains about it, I’ll give it back to him. He had said ok to it earlier this week and he was the one who brought the braided ponytail home after his haircut (his dad was the one who had time to take him to the barber shop). It was pretty long, about 8-10 inches of hair?

Another son, my youngest, strolled by behind me sitting at the table last night and let me know pointedly that it “didn’t even match” my hair. That’s just ribbing and because he can be a sassy teenage jerk, who cares what he thinks.

You do you boo, no sassy teen will come in the way :cool:

OhSuzi
February 7th, 2019, 05:09 AM
I think this is genius!
I need to find some younger family members & encourage them they're need of a trim so I can nab their healthy shiny youful locks for hair extensions!

;)

Obsidian
February 7th, 2019, 05:12 AM
Seems like a good idea to me. I wonder if you could deepen the color with some sort of natural dye like walnut or coffee? It wouldn't be permanent but since it probably won't be washed often, it should stick around for awhile.

val.
February 7th, 2019, 05:26 AM
Looks good on ya!

lithostoic
February 7th, 2019, 05:59 AM
I think I still have a lock of one of my friend's hair haha. It would be like 7 years old at this point.

Ligeia Noire
February 7th, 2019, 06:01 AM
That's genious!

spidermom
February 7th, 2019, 06:43 AM
I kept the braid from when my long-haired teenage son cut his hair for a job. I don't do anything with it.

lapushka
February 7th, 2019, 08:44 AM
When I had classic length and went for a page-cut style, my mom kept the ponytail. It is in a glass jar somewhere in one of her cupboards. She refuses to get rid of it.

Ylva
February 7th, 2019, 10:15 AM
When I had my hair cut as a kid before starting school, my mom kept the braid. It hung on the wall for many years, now I don't know where it is, but it's somewhere.

Groovy Granny
February 7th, 2019, 10:25 AM
It looks great :)

I never would have thought to do that; I have only snips of my 2 baby's hair.
My DD's hair was long at one point as an adult, but it was a totally different color/texture from mine.....and she chopped it off herself.
The longest length I had cut was 14" of fried/green/damaged hair from a stylist/ex friend :p....so that got tossed :steam:

Khristopher
February 7th, 2019, 05:27 PM
That bun rocks! Your son's locks seem like some kind of highlight.
I have my own hair from when I got rid of severe damage and got an angled bob 10 years ago(first and only time with short hair for me), a small braid I cut about 2 years ago (I gave it to my bf) and I keep a small ponytail from my ex. I like having little mementos like that, it's so particular and personal!

Cherriezzzzz
February 7th, 2019, 06:14 PM
My gramma has her old ponytail. She's where I get my red hair from and where my daughter gets hers. It's the EXACT same colors and textures. I've not yet kept any of mine and my daughter hasn't ever cut hers enough (it's about classic length.) This is inspirational! I'll make sure I get a good chop one day to add to the generational reds!

It looks natural because lots of hair is lighter at the ends! What a sweet heart you have!

TatsuOni
February 11th, 2019, 08:12 AM
I cut my long hair twice while younger. My father kept the hair the first time and then my mother demanded half of it :p The second time they shared it at once. They both put a ponytail on the wall. The oldest ponytails are actually 20 years now.

sweetvalley00
February 27th, 2019, 01:54 PM
I think this is genius!
I need to find some younger family members & encourage them they're need of a trim so I can nab their healthy shiny youful locks for hair extensions!

;)

Those exact same words came to mind: "THIS IS GENIUS" immediately followed by "hair extensions" ooooooooooooooohh!!

February 28th, 2019, 01:33 AM
Creepy.

I kept my hair that I cut off. I have my long braid and leftovers from my bob. I hid them because they creep me out.