PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol - help..

Cate36
February 6th, 2019, 02:02 PM
:) I'm using a hair tonic from a clinic for hair loss https://www.101.com.au/101-hair-scalp-tonic . It's been great.. totally stopped my shedding and I can see the difference in the thickness of the hair on my scalp. HOWEVER, it has Ethanol as its second ingredient and I am worried that it may cause hair breakage at the root. It is very hard to apply to the scalp and not touch the hair.. almost impossible..
Is there something I cam use alongside it to prevent damage. I don't want to stop using it... Help? What do you think?

cjk
February 6th, 2019, 02:07 PM
This is a medical thing? Do what your doctor recommends.

But the issue with alcohols, at least for curlies, is that they are drying. It's not the breakage, though dry hair can be brittle...it's the drying.

Do you condition? And are you allowed to condition? You might ask your doctor about it, any chemicals can interact so better safe than sorry.

Cate36
February 6th, 2019, 02:10 PM
It wasn't from the doctor.. it is from a place called the Australian Hair and Scalp clinic... a trichologist . It is the only clinic that offers herbal help for hair loss..and honestly, since using it. I am not losing hair at all.. it has been great... BUT.. I am worried about a few short hairs on my head. I cannot tell if they are breakage or new hairs... I am on the clinics home use program. I could ask them, but they are primarily concerned with growing new hair, not breakage... so... I don't know that they would have experience... most people that go to them have short hair..

oh Yes.. I do condition...but I have to use this on my scalp daily... not as a wash.. but just put it on my scalp and not wash for 5 hours///

Reyesuela
February 8th, 2019, 03:28 AM
All minoxidil formulas have ethanol. It doesn’t cause hair breakage, but it’s hard on the scalp.

If you can use minoxidil I’d recommend that first. Cheap and proven.

poli
February 8th, 2019, 03:57 AM
A lot of herbal scalp remedies ( traditional and medical) have some alcohol in them. Yes they can be drying but they won't destroy your hair. Just be gentle while applying.

Cate36
February 8th, 2019, 01:34 PM
All minoxidil formulas have ethanol. It doesn’t cause hair breakage, but it’s hard on the scalp.

If you can use minoxidil I’d recommend that first. Cheap and proven.

Ahh thank you, I didn't know that. I did try minoxidil first.. but it was disastrous.. so many side effects not to mention the shedding, and the psychological effects of that (I was not warned of any of the side effects).. this formula, albeit herbal, has been around for a long time, the results have been amazing, much quicker than minoxidil, no side effects and no shedding, I am blown away by it..

Cate36
February 8th, 2019, 01:35 PM
A lot of herbal scalp remedies ( traditional and medical) have some alcohol in them. Yes they can be drying but they won't destroy your hair. Just be gentle while applying.

Thanks so much... I emailed the clinic and they said the same, that ethanol had been used in herbal medicines for thousands of years and not to stress.. I'm so glad, because the tonic is working wonders..

Joules
February 9th, 2019, 06:03 AM
I think alcohol in scalp tonics is a must, it sorta helps with oiliness. I even saw a recipe for a DIY anti-hairloss tonic that's just alcohol-based peppermint infusion diluted with regular water. It definitely won't cause breakage at the root :)

Cate36
February 9th, 2019, 04:42 PM
I think alcohol in scalp tonics is a must, it sorta helps with oiliness. I even saw a recipe for a DIY anti-hairloss tonic that's just alcohol-based peppermint infusion diluted with regular water. It definitely won't cause breakage at the root :)

That's a relief because it truly has stopped all shedding and my hair is starting to look thicker on the scalp.. I don't want to stop using it, it's just very hard to just apply it to the scalp without touching my roots...