PDA

View Full Version : difference between curls and waves

spidermom
February 6th, 2019, 01:12 PM
As I understand it, if you were to imagine a straight line down the middle as an axis, a curl would spin around the axis, a 360-degree spiral that can be either tight or loose. A wave would only curve to one side or the other like a C, maybe even from one side to the other like an S, but it's more a 180-degree phenomenon; it doesn't spin all the way around the axis.

Am I wrong? My hair tends to be wavy except in a couple of spots on my head where I always have what I call curls immediately after washing. A more generous application of oil will often create these "curls" all over. However, I've posted pictures of this, and people will say something like "you have lovely waves." Maybe I'm totally mistaken about the difference between a curl and a wave.

paulownia
February 6th, 2019, 01:30 PM
In my understanding wavy hair lies flat against the scalp and the pattern is more loose. But there is of course exceptions from the rule ;)
My hair is basically straight the first 10-13 cm or so and the wave appears with the lenght. So I count myself as wavy. But the hair texture is a tricky thing ;)

MidnightMoon
February 6th, 2019, 01:36 PM
I think for most people here it's pretty clear, but I've had people IRL use the terms interchangeably. Funnily enough, it's my mother in law who does it more often. Maybe because wavy or curly hair is very rare here, so it all looks the same and they don't bother with subtle differences.

neko_kawaii
February 6th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Based on knowledge of my own hair, I’d say that waves are looser curls. My waves form spirals, but only the curls at nape look like curls.

lithostoic
February 6th, 2019, 01:47 PM
Am I having an aneurysm or did we have a lengthy post about this with these exact wordings??

lapushka
February 6th, 2019, 01:49 PM
As I understand it, if you were to imagine a straight line down the middle as an axis, a curl would spin around the axis, a 360-degree spiral that can be either tight or loose. A wave would only curve to one side or the other like a C, maybe even from one side to the other like an S, but it's more a 180-degree phenomenon; it doesn't spin all the way around the axis.

Am I wrong? My hair tends to be wavy except in a couple of spots on my head where I always have what I call curls immediately after washing. A more generous application of oil will often create these "curls" all over. However, I've posted pictures of this, and people will say something like "you have lovely waves." Maybe I'm totally mistaken about the difference between a curl and a wave.

The way I understand it, waves are 2-dimensional, and curls 3-dimensional. It's the easiest explanation for me.

lapushka
February 6th, 2019, 01:50 PM
Am I having an aneurysm or did we have a lengthy post about this with these exact wordings??

No, nope, I think this has been endlessly discussed already, but hey, everything seems to have a "cycle" here and comes back up once in a while. ;)

MusicalSpoons
February 6th, 2019, 01:59 PM
The way I understand it, waves are 2-dimensional, and curls 3-dimensional. It's the easiest explanation for me.

That's how I understand it too. Though wurls conplicate the issue because they're more 3D than waves but don't form whole spirals :confused:

I think one of the issues with people misidentifying curls as waves is that if the curls are fairly elongated, it can be hard to see in a picture unless it's taken fairly close up. So for hair typing yes we need to see a general overall pic but especially if there's confusion, close up pics are helpful in pinning down quite what's going on :eye:

Also brushed-out curls end up as 2D waves; maybe in daily life that's what happens to looser curls when they sag :hmm:

We did have a similar discussion in a thread not too long ago but I think it's a good idea to give it its own thread anyway :)

Lady Stardust
February 6th, 2019, 02:22 PM
I think it’s good to have a separate thread for this too :)

I think that waves can be 2 dimensional but they can also be 3 dimensional, long drawn out spirals. I had a look in the Curly Girl book after the recent discussion on another thread, and at least one type of waves described in there are spirals. It’s very clear from the illustration.

spidermom I’m probably guilty of saying “lovely waves” when they’re actually curls. If I don’t know whether to say “waves” or “curls” I tend to look at whether the person has categorised themself as a 2 or 3 hair type, and go with that. That doesn’t really work though because so many of us have a lot of variety in our hair type so the classification chosen isn’t a true reflection. Given the opportunity I would say I’m 1b/1c/2a/2b/2c :)

lapushka
February 6th, 2019, 02:23 PM
I think it’s good to have a separate thread for this too :)

I think that waves can be 2 dimensional but they can also be 3 dimensional, long drawn out spirals. I had a look in the Curly Girl book after the recent discussion on another thread, and at least one type of waves described in there are spirals. It’s very clear from the illustration.

spidermom I’m probably guilty of saying “lovely waves” when they’re actually curls. If I don’t know whether to say “waves” or “curls” I tend to look at whether the person has categorised themself as a 2 or 3 hair type, and go with that. That doesn’t really work though because so many of us have a lot of variety in our hair type so the classification chosen isn’t a true reflection. Given the opportunity I would say I’m 1b/1c/2a/2b/2c :)

Yes but the curly girl book doesn't go by this forum's hair typing system. ;) It has a system all on its own. There 2c is what we would call 3a.

spidermom
February 6th, 2019, 03:32 PM

We had similar, but it was more about whether or not we needed a new hair classification, at least that's the way I remember it.

Groovy Granny
February 6th, 2019, 03:32 PM
Usually I 'think' curls for the 3 types.... and waves for 1&2 types.... but know there is a mix at times.
If it looks mixed or undefined....or I am unsure.... I will say WURLS :lol:

Lady Stardust
February 6th, 2019, 04:03 PM
Yes but the curly girl book doesn't go by this forum's hair typing system. ;) It has a system all on its own. There 2c is what we would call 3a.

That’s true, it’s a different system :) I think there were only 2 types of waves in the book though, there’s a newer edition with an expanded section about waves so maybe we’re talking at cross purposes :)

I think there’s always going to be room for interpretation. Sometimes on this forum I think a very elongated spiral might still be described as a wave? Just going by how people have typed themselves. Maybe that’s where the discussions about classification comes in.

It would be great to have some more definitive photos in the Visual Hairtyping Guide, because I think the ones there currently are pretty confusing.

Reyn127
February 6th, 2019, 05:42 PM
I think it must depend slightly on your individual hair. I know for myself, I would consider my hair wavy, and lots of others would agree. But looking at my hair from the top down, all of my waves ARE ACTUALLY long, loose, curls. My texture does not go from side to side, it does spiral, it just doesn’t have much of a “bounce” to it where it appears curly.

lithostoic
February 6th, 2019, 06:08 PM
In my experience very few people have flat waves that go from side to side. Most waves are elongated ringlets. If you look at my hair from below you can actually see large hollow tubes where if you look straight on there's barely a wave.

Rowdy
February 6th, 2019, 07:26 PM
I think all hair textures are just spirals of varying diameters and wavelengths. Physically, I don't know how a follicle could produce something like a purely 2D squiggle (like if you tried with ribbon or curling metal wire, only crimping would make that kind of 2D pattern) The biggest diameter spirals, 1B/C, are just too huge to ever make a complete spiral on the head without sagging straight. The smallest diameter spirals 4C/Z are so small they bend at the turns. I'm probably not explaining this very well...

Overall, to me it's how the hair 'reads' which is going vary based on individual perception. For me, the main thing seems to be how ends of the hair look. Even the loosest curly hair seems to spiral up much more at the ends regardless of how stretched out the rest of it is. Wavy hair ends have more of a straightness to them, where there isn't as big of a difference in 'curliness' compared to the rest of the length of the hair. Kind of like how when you heat style curls and leave the last inches of the hair out instead of curing them.

Corvana
February 6th, 2019, 08:08 PM
I think it must depend slightly on your individual hair. I know for myself, I would consider my hair wavy, and lots of others would agree. But looking at my hair from the top down, all of my waves ARE ACTUALLY long, loose, curls. My texture does not go from side to side, it does spiral, it just doesn’t have much of a “bounce” to it where it appears curly.

My hair is exactly like this. I have a photo that shows off the loose curl, but my overall pattern "reads" as waves.

https://i.imgur.com/G9N9R2r.jpg

All of my waves look that that ^ all the way down, but I can only capture it at the right angle.

Crystawni
February 6th, 2019, 08:32 PM
The recent thread about 2c with sausage ringlets is here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148483), and that's where I've shared some pics. I've seen both wavy (goes every which way when cupped into the palm of a hand) and curly (cups into the palm as circles piling up) hair throughout my life and within my family. My very fine hair has issues with holding the curl, especially after manipulation (so can drop to stravy with sploingy ends, reading as wavy), but it sometimes tightens up on itself and won't let go (soft curls). It's too moody to call on any one day. For me, if it circles (sans manipulation), it's curly.

SallySue
February 6th, 2019, 09:51 PM
I totally agree with what's been said about all textured hair actually growing in spirals. From what I understand, the stack of cells that make up a strand of wavy/curly hair are crescent-shaped, rather than circle-shaped as on straight hair. If all the Lucky Charms moons stack in a consistent pattern as the hair grows, the stack of curves creates spirals.

There are a lot of reasons why the spirals might look more wave-like. For example, as nothing in nature is perfect, sometimes the texture isn't totally consistent. Pretty much everyone with curly hair can relate to having some areas that stubbornly do their own thing, change direction mid-shaft, or grow in odd forms. If you have more of that going on on your head, they could look more like waves. Styling plays a pretty big role also. If you somehow flatten a curl, the spiral can turn into a 2-dimensional S wave.

Finally, on the beautiful, loose curl patterns our hairtyping chart calls "wavy," the spirals are way too big to appear recognizably as such. They just fall where they fall, buddy up in groups where they want to, and drape in an irregular fashion. It doesn't mean they're not technically spirals. But if your spirals have the circumference of a pool noodle, your hair won't look "curly" in relation to the size of your head. Make sense?

Semantically, you can use either word and no one should get confused or upset because it's just hair, after all. And all hair is beautiful.

Glitch
February 7th, 2019, 03:54 AM

Hmm, we have the exact same hair type but my waves really do go from side to side and don’t naturally spiral. Ah well. Waves can be wild. :p

spidermom
February 7th, 2019, 06:48 AM
I also get waves that move from side to side in a 2-dimensional pattern. Other hairs just make a swoop, like a C. Then there are the spirally ones.

lapushka
February 7th, 2019, 08:50 AM
I think a lot of 2s want 3 hair, but for some that's just not a reality, I'm afraid. I think accepting your texture is often very difficult to do and so we see ringlets where there are none, or just 2c but not 3a.

And then there are those who are clearly 3 and in denial. :lol:

spidermom
February 7th, 2019, 10:13 AM
I've got hairs of all kinds, from straight as a stick to ringlets. The overall effect for most observers is wavy, I'm sure, although I have plenty of 1B days (it's pretty straight by wash day, also after blow drying).

Beeboo123
February 7th, 2019, 10:37 AM
I’m confused too. I think of myself as having waves, but they form loose spirals (3D). If we follow the 2D/3D definition, my hair would be thought of as curly, but i’m definitely a wavy!

Crystawni
February 7th, 2019, 06:01 PM
Curl pattern could be a factor. I've found there's a pattern to curls that remains as hair grows, whereas waves don't keep to a particular pattern. My previous monthly length pics showed the same curl clumps over the years--I could visibly track growth by the individual curls, and even have a division of curl direction for the right and left hemispheres of my head. I also get the same curls forming the same ringlets (in whichever direction they go) around my face, regardless of trims and length. Even so, I primarily wear my hair combed and/or brushed out for softness and frizz control, and up for the heat and length factor.

How do your freshly washed, unmanipulated shed hairs behave on a flat surface? Do they lay flat in S waves, or rise up in bumpy waves?

littlestarface
February 7th, 2019, 07:02 PM
Waves are S, curls are a coil.

GrowlingCupcake
February 7th, 2019, 07:38 PM
The next time I wash my hair without manipulation, I am going to have to try out Crystawni's method of checking in a palm, and on a flat surface.

I do have actual spirals in some places, but I do not remember if they are all over. It is hard to see in photos both due to poor lighting, hair colour, and distance; I can only see the actual spirals if I look at them facing down or actually track the strands of hair. Then I can see that they form a tube or spiral. I would not call my hair curly, though. The most I think it can ever aspire to - once virgin, and properly cared for - is 2b. Unmanipulated, I mean. If I scrunch/s2c, I get full on ringlets, but that isn't hair typing.

Most people I know will call my hair curly, because waves/curls are not a think the 'layperson' really knows about.

What I really want is someone to develop a hair care system actually for wavies. Not for curlies that wavies end up using, but actually for us. I have yet to find one, so if you guys know of one, please share?

Corvana
February 7th, 2019, 08:15 PM
I think a lot of 2s want 3 hair, but for some that's just not a reality, I'm afraid. I think accepting your texture is often very difficult to do and so we see ringlets where there are none, or just 2c but not 3a.

And then there are those who are clearly 3 and in denial. :lol:

I mean I wouldn't mind having curls, but there's no denying the fact that these hairs (just a small fraction of all of my hair, which all does it) are spiralling around each other.

All of my hair does that. It spirals, but they're big and loose. My hair is only wavy, but the waves are all made from spirals, and if I pool them in my hand they make circles (I know this because I do that I lot when I play with my hair :laugh:)

Corvana
February 7th, 2019, 08:17 PM
The next time I wash my hair without manipulation, I am going to have to try out Crystawni's method of checking in a palm, and on a flat surface.

I do have actual spirals in some places, but I do not remember if they are all over. It is hard to see in photos both due to poor lighting, hair colour, and distance; I can only see the actual spirals if I look at them facing down or actually track the strands of hair. Then I can see that they form a tube or spiral. I would not call my hair curly, though. The most I think it can ever aspire to - once virgin, and properly cared for - is 2b. Unmanipulated, I mean. If I scrunch/s2c, I get full on ringlets, but that isn't hair typing.

Most people I know will call my hair curly, because waves/curls are not a think the 'layperson' really knows about.

What I really want is someone to develop a hair care system actually for wavies. Not for curlies that wavies end up using, but actually for us. I have yet to find one, so if you guys know of one, please share?

I'd love a hair care system for us, too!

I know all my hair does loose loose spirals because I checked! It's long enough now that I can just bring it up front and see it, and they all spiral around super loosely. Freshly washed, air dried and unmanipulated I've got incredibly loose spirals that "read" as waves. If I brush my hair they'll go 2d! But they're 3d until then.

Quixii
February 7th, 2019, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I'm never sure what to call my hair, or where hair goes from "quite wavy" to "curly/curly-ish."

I've had my hair called both. I've seen every texture on my head from pretty straight to tighter spirals. It also depends on how I wash it - the harder water where I'm living now seems to result in less curly, whereas the water I grew up with seems a bit more curly. Also the hair length; as it gets longer, it curls less. Does that make it "not curly hair," even if I took the very same hair and made it shorter or even just pinned it up in a certain way and it would form the more spirally curls?

GrowlingCupcake
February 7th, 2019, 08:56 PM

I know all my hair does loose loose spirals because I checked! It's long enough now that I can just bring it up front and see it, and they all spiral around super loosely. Freshly washed, air dried and unmanipulated I've got incredibly loose spirals that "read" as waves. If I brush my hair they'll go 2d! But they're 3d until then.

My hair is rarely unmanipulated now so I have no idea what it is like! I usually s2c, and then apply other things straight (praying hands) or scrunched in, so it either ends up straighter than my 2a or wavier/spirally. I do not really care how it looks after washing since it usually goes straight back into a bun or into my sleep braids once it is dry.

But yes, a hair care system for us, please! We are like the relatives no one really talks about at a family gathering or something.

Also, regarding lapushka's post about 2s wanting to be 3s, I know I definitely do not want 3s hair. I think it looks lovely, but I do not want to have to care for it. My hair is super tangly, and needs to be combed/brushed on a regular basis. With type 3 hair, that would probably look... bad. And, honestly, it just seems like it would need more work than I am comfortable putting in; my current routine is already sufficiently time consuming in my opinion! My ideal is 2b, maybe 2c. But my unmanipulated hair definitely has spirals in it.

Quixii, the hair in your avatar, and signature looks undeniably curly to me. But I guess it could look like tight braid waves to some?

And yeah, length definitely plays such a big role in this.

Corvana
February 7th, 2019, 09:03 PM
My hair is rarely unmanipulated now so I have no idea what it is like! I usually s2c, and then apply other things straight (praying hands) or scrunched in, so it either ends up straighter than my 2a or wavier/spirally. I do not really care how it looks after washing since it usually goes straight back into a bun or into my sleep braids once it is dry.

But yes, a hair care system for us, please! We are like the relatives no one really talks about at a family gathering or something.

Also, regarding lapushka's post about 2s wanting to be 3s, I know I definitely do not want 3s hair. I think it looks lovely, but I do not want to have to care for it. My hair is super tangly, and needs to be combed/brushed on a regular basis. With type 3 hair, that would probably look... bad. And, honestly, it just seems like it would need more work than I am comfortable putting in; my current routine is already sufficiently time consuming in my opinion! My ideal is 2b, maybe 2c. But my unmanipulated hair definitely has spirals in it.

Quixii, the hair in your avatar, and signature looks undeniably curly to me. But I guess it could look like tight braid waves to some?

And yeah, length definitely plays such a big role in this.

I like to see it, but like you it's straight into a bun or something as soon as it's dry :laugh:. I wonder if like mentioned in the other thread Crystawni linked, my texture could be preserved more with rope braids instead of english :hmm:

Crystawni
February 7th, 2019, 09:06 PM
Yup, Quixii, same (including water issues)! Mine hasn't got the tightness yours has, though (I've always considered you to be a curly).

It's the long, delicate spirals that seem hard to "place". They are inclined to spiral, but if you so much as look at them sideways, they flatten in a fit of fear (of being more than they are).

My shorter face framers continue to coil, even after being brushed and combed. Big, long coils that flip out into tidal waves when freshly brushed, but clump into those long ringlets soon enough. And my ends don't lose their coils, but I'm guessing there's weighty drag happening for the rest that flattens out, plus my low porous, virgin hair is so fine and fragile, it acts limp unless there's a product stiffening it up. That doesn't mean it's not wanting to curl, though (especially if it gets wet, or had some oil added--but that often coats it and never soaks in). I just give into the limpness and go with a soft look instead.

Starting point:

https://i.imgur.com/ypDfY1c.jpg

Tidal wave (that's turning in on itself) with a sideorder of frizz:

https://i.imgur.com/pQ0Ttn5.jpg

The coil separation is going to happen...:

https://i.imgur.com/jilYMRl.jpg

With wavy hair, what do you want from it? Soft waves? Definition? Unlike CG, I'm more for less is more to get the wavy look shown above (routine here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119652&p=3638530&viewfull=1#post3638530)). But I think there are a lot of factors to consider to find a one-size-fits-all kinda thing, including hair thickness and porosity.

GrowlingCupcake
February 7th, 2019, 09:08 PM
I like to see it, but like you it's straight into a bun or something as soon as it's dry :laugh:. I wonder if like mentioned in the other thread Crystawni linked, my texture could be preserved more with rope braids instead of english :hmm:

I'd like to try that out but from what I remember, rope braids require a hair tie at the base of the braid itself? I try to limit hair tie usage. And also, my hair likes to get tangled from twisting xD I have very finicky hair. Plus since I would need to comb/brush it to braid it... well, I doubt I am preserving anything :lol:

If you give it a shot, let me know how it goes!

Edit:

Yup, Quixii, same (including water issues)! Mine hasn't got the tightness yours has, though (I've always considered you to be a curly).

It's the long, delicate spirals that seem hard to "place". They are inclined to spiral, but if you so much as look at them sideways, they flatten in a fit of fear (of being more than they are).

My shorter face framers continue to coil, even after being brushed and combed. Big, long coils that flip out into tidal waves when freshly brushed, but clump into those long ringlets soon enough. And my ends don't lose their coils, but I'm guessing there's weighty drag happening for the rest that flattens out, plus my low porous, virgin hair is so fine and fragile, it acts limp unless there's a product stiffening it up. That doesn't mean it's not wanting to curl, though (especially if it gets wet, or had some oil added--but that often coats it and never soaks in). I just give into the limpness and go with a soft look instead.

:scissors:

With wavy hair, what do you want from it? Soft waves? Definition? Unlike CG, I'm more for less is more to get the wavy look shown above (routine here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119652&p=3638530&viewfull=1#post3638530)). But I think there are a lot of factors to consider to find a one-size-fits-all kinda thing, including hair thickness and porosity.

I always thought face framers/wispies that coil are normal? Also, my hair does that tidal wave thing as well!

My wispies, that are growing into face framers, as well as shorter bits of hair, definitely coil/spiral. If brushed they usually form those tidal wave kind of things but will spiral/coil back eventually.

My lengths will just start waving even after being brushed/combed, if they are left down long enough. Or if they get wet at all.

My hair is (probably) high porosity, and definitely not virgin, though. It will be interesting to see how my virgin hair behaves.

Ceib
February 7th, 2019, 09:09 PM
I've been having an internal debate over this for years. I thought 2b at first, then 2c, but my wurl starts at my roots and I have sprials, they're just on the thin side I guess. Someone else said I'm clearly a 3a. Count me in as another 2d because I'm at a loss 😂

Crystawni
February 7th, 2019, 09:11 PM

Yanno, I tried the rope braids, but it was a no-go thanks to my hair hemisphere thing. Rope braids coil the same way, unfortunately. So unless I split the hair into pigtails, and then did rope braids rolling opposite ways, it didn't work. But the split of piggies also has its own hair-straightening problems.

GrowlingCupcake
February 7th, 2019, 09:18 PM
Yanno, I tried the rope braids, but it was a no-go thanks to my hair hemisphere thing. Rope braids coil the same way, unfortunately. So unless I split the hair into pigtails, and then did rope braids rolling opposite ways, it didn't work. But the split of piggies also has its own hair-straightening problems.

Forgot to add to my edited post:
Your waves/curls seem to start at the top. So wouldn't that mean you are more curly, than a wavy? I noticed you updated from 2c to 3a which seems to make a lot more sense to me.

littlestarface
February 7th, 2019, 09:19 PM
Crazy how so many are confused about what wavy/curly means. Even in my most plopped state I still know its wavy.

I never seen a wavy who looked curly, our wurls are too fat to be a coil like a curl.

Quixii
February 7th, 2019, 09:21 PM
I had to stop most rope braids and cinnabuns, because my hair wants to stay in that tight twist, and any disruptions to it (like, say, separating it into two or more sections) results in horrible tangles. D: It was quite disappointing - it did work fairly well for me at slightly shorter lengths.

Crystawni
February 8th, 2019, 04:13 AM
:scissors:

Edit:

I always thought face framers/wispies that coil are normal? Also, my hair does that tidal wave thing as well!

My wispies, that are growing into face framers, as well as shorter bits of hair, definitely coil/spiral. If brushed they usually form those tidal wave kind of things but will spiral/coil back eventually.

My lengths will just start waving even after being brushed/combed, if they are left down long enough. Or if they get wet at all.

My hair is (probably) high porosity, and definitely not virgin, though. It will be interesting to see how my virgin hair behaves.

Forgot to add to my edited post:
Your waves/curls seem to start at the top. So wouldn't that mean you are more curly, than a wavy? I noticed you updated from 2c to 3a which seems to make a lot more sense to me.

I'd say my hair is a lazy curly. :lol: I don't do anything "curly hair" with it, though, as for the most time I've been on the forum, I thought I was a wavy (as did others)--and even that was new to me, as, like many wavies, I just thought I had unruly straightish hair. As it is, my natural childhood ringlets had been forgotten in a haze of curlers (thanks, mum!) and then I inadvertently hid my pattern by perming it in my teens and early 20s. Post-kiddos, I kept my hair shorter in blowdried bobs, and then all mops of my thickness HAD to be hacked ala Scene hair (or so every fricken hairdresser thought so...) which killed my texture, and, well, I grew the last of that out once I joined LHC!

I can't answer the other stuff about face framers on others (I've angle-cut mine in to blend with the entire length)--I see all kinds on wavies from dead straight that only curve slightly, to tighter waves than anywhere else.

GrowlingCupcake
February 8th, 2019, 05:49 AM
I'd say my hair is a lazy curly. :lol: I don't do anything "curly hair" with it, though, as for the most time I've been on the forum, I thought I was a wavy (as did others)--and even that was new to me, as, like many wavies, I just thought I had unruly straightish hair. As it is, my natural childhood ringlets had been forgotten in a haze of curlers (thanks, mum!) and then I inadvertently hid my pattern by perming it in my teens and early 20s. Post-kiddos, I kept my hair shorter in blowdried bobs, and then all mops of my thickness HAD to be hacked ala Scene hair (or so every fricken hairdresser thought so...) which killed my texture, and, well, I grew the last of that out once I joined LHC!

I can't answer the other stuff about face framers on others (I've angle-cut mine in to blend with the entire length)--I see all kinds on wavies from dead straight that only curve slightly, to tighter waves than anywhere else.

Well, it certainly is pretty! Especially the multicolours.

I gotta ask, what is FBL?

lapushka
February 8th, 2019, 05:58 AM
I mean I wouldn't mind having curls, but there's no denying the fact that these hairs (just a small fraction of all of my hair, which all does it) are spiralling around each other.

All of my hair does that. It spirals, but they're big and loose. My hair is only wavy, but the waves are all made from spirals, and if I pool them in my hand they make circles (I know this because I do that I lot when I play with my hair :laugh:)

Then who knows, maybe you have 2c hair; just wait for a little more length and re-hairtype some time. :flower:

Crystawni
February 8th, 2019, 06:05 AM
Thank you, Cupcake! :smooch: FBL is, um, well... Finger Base Length. :silly: I've grabbed hold of any markers I can on the way dooooown (t'was thanks to a discussion in the FTL by NYE 2019 thread here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148785&p=3644308&viewfull=1#post3644308) :wannabe:).

lapushka
February 8th, 2019, 07:40 AM
That gets a little too confusing for me, Crystawni. I'm gonna stick to the regular markers. ;)

spidermom
February 8th, 2019, 07:43 AM
I've got one place on the left above my forehead that usually reforms into a double-helix kind of spiral after combing or releasing from a bun, but everything else goes pretty straightish after manipulation.

neko_kawaii
February 8th, 2019, 08:06 AM
My hair is closest to rope braid waves. To the comment somewhere above re avoiding hair ties, try a paranda that is longer than your hair and then there is no application of the hair tie directly to your hair, and the waves will be larger and probably even closer to your texture.

I’m perfectly happy calling my hair mixed type hair 2A and waves. I don’t have the patience to deal with curls despite spending my childhood wishing for curls. Too much work for me, but I still adore curls on others. Thanks to those who put the effort in!

GrowlingCupcake
February 8th, 2019, 08:57 AM
Thank you, Cupcake! :smooch: FBL is, um, well... Finger Base Length. :silly: I've grabbed hold of any markers I can on the way dooooown (t'was thanks to a discussion in the FTL by NYE 2019 thread here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148785&p=3644308&viewfull=1#post3644308) :wannabe:).

I love the new markers you added! I may have to measure for them but I am lazy. I actually want to re-measure everything with K's help.

I mostly go by inches now.

My hair is closest to rope braid waves. To the comment somewhere above re avoiding hair ties, try a paranda that is longer than your hair and then there is no application of the hair tie directly to your hair, and the waves will be larger and probably even closer to your texture.

I’m perfectly happy calling my hair mixed type hair 2A and waves. I don’t have the patience to deal with curls despite spending my childhood wishing for curls. Too much work for me, but I still adore curls on others. Thanks to those who put the effort in!

I did get a paranda recently. I will have to learn to use it. If I can manage, I totally want a beaded one since those look so pretty!

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Cinnamonagouti
February 8th, 2019, 10:19 AM
Yes. I made a topic about this a few months ago: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148483
(Someone seem to have changed the title, though)

spidermom
February 8th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Yes. I made a topic about this a few months ago: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148483
(Someone seem to have changed the title, though)

You did, but the focus of the topic was a little different than what I was looking for here.

The dictionary defines waves as undulation and curls as coils or spirals.

Rowdy
February 8th, 2019, 01:14 PM
Hmm I always thought my hair was the borderline of wavy and curly but maybe I typed wrong. Can I post some old typing photos in here? I don't want to derail but I don't really want to make a thread just for that either.

cjk
February 8th, 2019, 01:28 PM
In my case the difference between curls and waves is the location on my head.

My canopy is loose waves, the center of the back (think mohawk) is on the border between wavy and curly, and the sides are full fledged curls.

I refreshed my curls today and for the very first time achieved the full Bozo the Clown. Giant poodle poof on both sides.

Is it any wonder I braid?

spidermom
February 8th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Absolutely. I'd be glad to give my nonexpert opinion.

spidermom
February 8th, 2019, 03:38 PM
Hmm I always thought my hair was the borderline of wavy and curly but maybe I typed wrong. Can I post some old typing photos in here? I don't want to derail but I don't really want to make a thread just for that either.

See above; this is what I was replying to.

Rowdy
February 8th, 2019, 08:53 PM
Okay so both of these are old pics (I stopped letting it dry like this after about APL) but I know they are air/drip dried with no product after shampoo and conditioner.

The pink shirt shows the canopy which looks wavy to me, the back is also the straightest part. These form weird and large tubes but they still look 2c to me.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35433&d=1549683008

The second in the blue/black shows my hair from just over the ears down which is curlier so I settled on calling it 3a. Sorry it's blurry and kind of in motion, I don't really have many pics of the underlayer air dried. It does show the size of the curls accurately though. (Please ignore my face being weird)

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35432&d=1549682690

The main thing that confused me was that even the straighter hair I could never get straight without heat. Even bunning it for a week didn't really do anything but squash them flat but if I let it loose for a bit they would spring back into 3D curls eventually, without getting them wet.

ravenheather
February 9th, 2019, 07:11 AM
Call me crazy, but I see no waves here. That's as spirally as it gets.

lapushka
February 9th, 2019, 08:33 AM
Okay so both of these are old pics (I stopped letting it dry like this after about APL) but I know they are air/drip dried with no product after shampoo and conditioner.

The pink shirt shows the canopy which looks wavy to me, the back is also the straightest part. These form weird and large tubes but they still look 2c to me.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35433&d=1549683008

The second in the blue/black shows my hair from just over the ears down which is curlier so I settled on calling it 3a. Sorry it's blurry and kind of in motion, I don't really have many pics of the underlayer air dried. It does show the size of the curls accurately though. (Please ignore my face being weird)

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35432&d=1549682690

The main thing that confused me was that even the straighter hair I could never get straight without heat. Even bunning it for a week didn't really do anything but squash them flat but if I let it loose for a bit they would spring back into 3D curls eventually, without getting them wet.

That is full 3a, if not 3b. Sorry, that's not wavy at all!

spidermom
February 9th, 2019, 08:38 AM
I agree with others, Rowdy. I see full-on 3A.

MusicalSpoons
February 9th, 2019, 09:20 AM
Curls, definitely! The visual hairtyping guide says this for the various flavours of curls:

3a - big, loose spiral curls
3b - bouncy ringlets
3c - tight corkscrews

Rowdy
February 9th, 2019, 12:50 PM
:bigeyes: Well, I guess that explains why after 4 keratin applications I'm still stuck pretty firmly at 2b. Thanks MusicalSpoons, spidermom, lapushka and ravenheather!