PDA

View Full Version : Bleach damage

Sparkles122
February 5th, 2019, 10:40 AM
Could someone clarify for me as to when your hair would need protein? I have bleach damage that I am growing out and it is very concentrated to one section of my hair (nearer to the crown) it is dry and brittle but also mushy at the same time (not really sure how to describe it). This only happens when I wash my hair and I dont have any breakage. The reason for my asking is that I purchased a Shea Moisture hydrate and repair protein power treatment mask. It says its for extremely dry/brittle hair. Should I give it a go?

lapushka
February 5th, 2019, 10:42 AM
If it is on the mushy side (the state when it is wet), definitely do it.

Sparkles122
February 5th, 2019, 11:23 AM
So it would not be correct to say that all bleach damage needs protein necessarily? Or does it?

Alibran
February 5th, 2019, 11:30 AM
Bleach tends to both break the protein bonds and strip the hair of moisture, so it's a constant struggle to get the balance between protein and moisture in products.

Jo Ann
February 5th, 2019, 11:32 AM
Bleaching breaks down certain hair bonds so it can remove color from the hair.

As far as when to use a protein treatment, if my hair feels like wet cardboard, I use a protein mask (about 2/3 of my hair is bleached).

milosmomma
February 5th, 2019, 03:03 PM
When I had bleach damage my hair loved protein treatments and moisture, now that I've cut the damage out it responds badly to protein(tangly and dry feeling) It was definitely a battle to keep my bleached hair balanced. Once the protein was good then it seemed to need moisture. After moisture treatment it needed more protein it was a cycle.

browntatis
February 5th, 2019, 05:44 PM
Yes! Protein should work great.
What worked for me when I had bleached damage, exactly how you described, (sticky gummy like when wet and extremely dry and brittle when dried) was liquid Keratin (Brazilian Blowout Treatments) and Olaplex stand alone Treatments. Thanks to it I didn't have to cut my damaged hair and it restored the damage.

Sparkles122
February 5th, 2019, 06:04 PM
Yes! Protein should work great.
What worked for me when I had bleached damage, exactly how you described, (sticky gummy like when wet and extremely dry and brittle when dried) was liquid Keratin (Brazilian Blowout Treatments) and Olaplex stand alone Treatments. Thanks to it I didn't have to cut my damaged hair and it restored the damage.

Its awful. Ive been babying my hair for over 3 months now. What a project bleach damage is! And it was at the most inconvenient part of my hair, literally a quarter of an inch away from my roots. Now I have a little over 2 inches of regrowth so at least I can now get my fingers through my hair to shampoo my scalp. Ill try the protein and see where that leads me. Just taking it day by day.