PDA

View Full Version : Satin antimacassar?

Edana ni Emer
February 4th, 2019, 03:24 PM
I have an armchair I spend a lot of time in, as it is also my computer chair, but my hair does tend to get a little frizzled at the base of my neck from my head resting on it. I figure if satin pillowcases help at night, a satin chair topper will help too, but I'll be darned if I can find anything online. Anybody got a link, or am I going to have to DIY?

lapushka
February 4th, 2019, 03:56 PM
Just drape a satin pillowcase over the end of it. People used to put doilies on the headrest, same kind of thing. ;)

ursaV
February 4th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Maybe a satin fitted sheet would work? The only chair covers I can find look like they're for weddings to drape over the small catering hall chairs.

Edana ni Emer
February 5th, 2019, 03:45 PM
Just drape a satin pillowcase over the end of it. People used to put doilies on the headrest, same kind of thing. ;)

That's what an antimacassar is! They used them to protect the furniture from the macassar oil men used as a hair dressing. Mind would be... the other way around, really. Protecting my hair from my chair.

I was just hoping to find something that had some sort of less-slippery backing, to make it easier to keep it on without shifting around.

lapushka
February 5th, 2019, 03:59 PM
That's what an antimacassar is! They used them to protect the furniture from the macassar oil men used as a hair dressing. Mind would be... the other way around, really. Protecting my hair from my chair.

I was just hoping to find something that had some sort of less-slippery backing, to make it easier to keep it on without shifting around.

What language is that from, because that is the first I have ever heard that word.

MusicalSpoons
February 5th, 2019, 04:56 PM
lapushka it is English (anti/macassar - against [the] macassar [oil]) but a fairly archaic word now; I believe it's from Victorian times. I was thinking how cool it was for OP to use it, actually :grin: :nerd:

As to the actual question, yeah I'd just go with a satin something - pillowcase if you can, or sew a scarf shut around 3 sides or something so it should stay in place. Or sew elastic to keep it in place, perhaps.

Edit: duh, of course satin something, as that was the thread title! :doh: :shake: Sorry, brainfail there. I have never looked online for any such thing and would be inclined to DIY, if a satin pillowcase were too narrow to go over the top. Maybe sew the opening shut and open one of the long seams, fairly simple.

lapushka
February 5th, 2019, 05:03 PM
Oh I had no idea. Glad to learn something new. :)

MusicalSpoons
February 5th, 2019, 05:13 PM
I only learned the word since joining LHC and reading a bit of hair history, otherwise I doubt I'd ever have known! ;)

Edana ni Emer
February 8th, 2019, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I'm a wee bit of a history nerd, and a much bigger word-nerd. :-) They're fun to play with!

But yeah, ugh. Looks like DIY is how it's gonna have to be. Ah well. Thanks for the suggestions though!

enting
February 27th, 2019, 02:21 AM
I don't have any perfect recommendations. I see that there are headrest covers online but those are probably too small/narrow for an armchair.
There are such things as flannel backed satin, or felt backed satin which might help with DIY - you'd only need one layer of fabric to be protective on one side and grabby to the chair on the other.