PDA

View Full Version : Long hair makes you look younger

backtolonghair
November 5th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I read in some magazine about how longer hair actually makes you look younger... I wish I could remember which one it was! But it had all these celebrities in it.. it was awesome!
Usually they say if you are past a certain age to get your hair cut shoulder length or shorter, so to read this was great!

They had like Kelly Ripa I think and Kate Hudson and a few others...

Just thought I'd share.... :)

aries
November 5th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I think this is true. All of the long hairs I have seen look younger to me but that is only my eyes. I have also seen the opposite happen and been witness to short hair making one look younger as well. I prefer long though heh.

Comfrey
November 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Well I have my hair softened slightly around the face and I have a sort of light fringe too (bangs) but I know some people prefer to have it all one length

Its about time someone said this though because I'm getting tried of all these magazines and so called expert hairdressers saying we should cut it all off. I look appalling with short hair :o

sahiba
November 5th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I feel if long hair is worn in half ups or braids it gives a younger look but for some reason buns ( long hair or short) gives a more mature look.

backtolonghair
November 5th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Its about time someone said this though because I'm getting tried of all these magazines and so called expert hairdressers saying we should cut it all off. I look appalling with short hair :o

Yes, it is! I"m glad they printed this and showed people that you don't necessarily have to have shorter hair to look younger. Yes, on some people shorter hair can make you look younger but I think on a majority of people longer hair looks better and has a more youthful appearance.

Why else would most the celebrity women keep their hair long?? With the kind of work they do, they have to keep themselves looking as young as possible.. I think having long hair is anti-aging. :)

taliarose
November 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM
With longhairs I think it's all about the attitude behinde the style. We know we rock so we look good no matter what our age. My not so humble opinion!

spidermom
November 5th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I don't know about all that. I don't think that either short hair or long hair or dyed hair makes you look older or younger. There are certain styles that are more flattering to certain faces, and if you've got a flattering style, it might translate in someone's mind as looking younger. But to me - nope. If I'm trying to gauge age, I look for lines/wrinkles, that lack of tone around the jaw line, stuff like that.

Unzadi
November 5th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Ah, the power of long hair! It makes the young look mature, the mature look young, women more feminine, men more masculine, among its many transforming powers. While I do maintain that the best hair accessory (for those with hair of any legnth) is attitude, it is refreshing to see long hair getting positive press like this.

SHELIAANN1969
November 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I don't know if it makes me look younger, but when I take it down and fling it around (not like in that one crazy commercial, lol) I feel sexy and young! Oh, to be almost 40 but to FEEL 20 is a wonderful thing! lol :D

Islandgrrl
November 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Oh, to be almost 40 but to FEEL 20 is a wonderful thing! lol :D

Probably almost as good as being almost 50 and feeling 30 :cheese:

Euphony
November 5th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I think long hair makes me look younger, or at least I think. 6 years ago I had this short haircut thing going on, it wasn't a good look for me. I showed Islandgrrl a picture of me with that hair...but I've also lost a considerable amount of weight since that pic too - she mentioned I looked so much younger now than I did then. I'd never really thought about me looking older then, but I do believe she was right. But I do fully admit I was older than than I am now, so that may very well have a lot to do with it.

LawyerGirl
November 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I think long hair does make one look younger! That is one reason that I cut my hair so short.... because I look so young anyway, I wanted to be taken seriously at work. After my hair was all gone... I realized that I could have just put it up and had the same effect.

Hindsight is 20/20!

akka naeda
November 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I keep meaning to post here that I read not so long ago that long hair was fine on women even up to their 90s :) uness it started thinning at which point it shold be cut.

ETA long in this case meant waist or longer

Gothic Lolita
November 5th, 2008, 12:58 PM
My mum hasn't "long" hair, not what we consider as long, but it's chin length and she's 47 and doesn't look a thing like it. Also, she never uses anti-aging creams or puts make-up on. I guess a shorter style would make her look much oler.

sneakybea
November 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I don't know from experience whether I look younger with long or short hair, because I haven't had short hair since I was about eleven years old! But I have been told that I look younger with bangs; I don't have forehead wrinkles or anything, I just think it's a softer look for me.

Anne~
November 5th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I'll take the younger look! I guess that is why they tell us to cut it, we don't look our age. :D

Silver Strands
November 5th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I keep meaning to post here that I read not so long ago that long hair was fine on women even up to their 90s :) uness it started thinning at which point it shold be cut.

And even then, they could do what my great aunt did and wear it in a braided coronet. It helped hide the fact that she was thinning.
She had stunning hair. When she would sit at her dressing table to comb it out, it would touch the floor.
She was always my inspiration to have long hair.

Sammybunny711
November 5th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I feel that is makes people look younger (on certain people.) Sometimes, though, if an older lady has long hair BUT DOESN'T TAKE GOOD CARE OF IT...it can look bad BUT that is ONLY if she doesn't take care of it! Just like having scraggly, icky short hair when you don't take care of it :o)

darkwaves
November 5th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I read in some magazine about how longer hair actually makes you look younger... They had like Kelly Ripa I think and Kate Hudson and a few others... I don't know Kelly Ripa -- but surely Kate Hudson is young! (In my world, anyway...)

NightDaemon
November 5th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Long hair makes you look young because women over 30 are legally required to have THAT haircut, so anyone with long hair must be younger.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 6th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Well, whether is does or does not affect your perceived age, it is great that some fashion mavens realize that long hair is a good thing???

Lisa-Maria
November 6th, 2008, 02:11 AM
If nothing else long hair makes your feel younger, and in my case also more lively. No one is pushing me into a mold. And as you look how you feel.... ;)

noelgirl
November 6th, 2008, 05:58 AM
That's pretty cool - what magazine was it? I tend to get mistaken for either younger or older - sometimes they think I'm in college, other times I get the "ma'am" treatment like I'm some kind of grownup (where would they get that crazy idea? I certainly don't feel like a grownup ;) ).

Robbi Dehlinger
November 6th, 2008, 06:02 AM
That's pretty cool - what magazine was it? I tend to get mistaken for either younger or older - sometimes they think I'm in college, other times I get the "ma'am" treatment like I'm some kind of grownup (where would they get that crazy idea? I certainly don't feel like a grownup ;) ).

Nor do you look like one!

You are infected with "terminal cuteness!"

noelgirl
November 6th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Nor do you look like one!

You are infected with "terminal cuteness!"

And what a tragic affliction it is indeed ;)

Robbi Dehlinger
November 6th, 2008, 06:07 AM
And what a tragic affliction it is indeed ;)

Yes, I should be so cursed:)

mellie
November 6th, 2008, 06:10 AM
NightDaemon said:

Long hair makes you look young because women over 30 are legally required to have THAT haircut, so anyone with long hair must be younger.

Haha, that's funny!!

But really, healthy looking long hair when worn down, does make most folks look younger. Certainly for me, my friends who had only seen me with a pixie cut thought I had suddenly gotten ten years younger when they saw me with long hair! Yeah!!

Curlsgirl
November 6th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Probably almost as good as being almost 50 and feeling 30 :cheese:

I second that! :cheese:

Shari
November 9th, 2008, 06:51 PM

I think this is the key. There is such an accepted 'older woman style' usually called a newsreader or soccer mum hairdo that if someone over the age of 30 or 40 or 50 or whatever keeps their hair longer and simpler they are assumed to have not reached the age of robotically getting their hair in that particular style! If that makes sense....:)

Robbi Dehlinger
November 9th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Or they are considered eccentric, which to me, is NOT a bad thing? I have been "different or eccentric" my whole life:)

Raven69
November 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM
It all depends on how you dress, what you wear, how you hold yourself, how you walk/talk/act and your overall appearance.

On some people, long hair can make them look younger or appear older. Like I said earlier - it all depends. Going back to the tyra show; there was a girl with hair to the floor who was dressed drabby, and overall she looked like she was old/trying to just fade into the background. But it wasn't cause of her hair, it was because of her overall appearance and how she carried herself. Though she did not need her hair to be cut off all the way up to the ears!!! That made me so mad!

Mebo
November 17th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Sure it makes you look younger! The weight of the hair causes facial wrinkles to be pulled out and I have smoother skin........ That's my story and I'm sticking to it........LOL

Payal80
November 19th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Long hairs always get compliments.

It makes one feel much younger and attractive.

Debra83
November 19th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Come to think of it, when I was 22, I got my hair cut really short, which got a lot of compliments, but also I remember one comment about how it made me look 30ish. I was mortified....(oh to be 30 again now)....but I've still had short cuts since then. sigh.

Rebelkat
November 19th, 2008, 01:48 AM
:happydance: This is indeed true! When I was 13, I had shoulder-length hair with bangs and layers, and people always mistook me for being around 17/18. Now with tailbone-length hair at 20, people mistake me for being around 15/16! My face hasn't really changed much, so obviously the hair has to have SOMETHING to do with it. I wish I could get the pix of me with shorter hair to scan well so I could show you guys what I mean.

EdG
November 19th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I associate long hair with teenagers and people in their twenties.

I wish there were more older longhairs. :cheese:
Ed

az_sweetie01
November 19th, 2008, 08:29 AM
It's nice to see some more positive press on long hair :)

Frankly, life is too short not to feel great and have the look YOU want. I've always looked on the women and men older than me, with longer hair than me as being somewhat ethereal, timeless and with a strong sense of self. I suppose that "attitude" is more my goal than the long hair at times.

Thanks for the uplift!

Alana2000
November 19th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I found it really bothered me when I came across an article critizing Gweneth Paltrow for having too long of hair (this is before I was growing mine long even) for her age, then like the next week she cut it to her shoulders, now I realize her hair was mostly extentions, but who cares, she looks great anyway she wears her hair and I am sure she must have used the best extentions money could buy... ah well.

Vitalai
November 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I found it really bothered me when I came across an article critizing Gweneth Paltrow for having too long of hair (this is before I was growing mine long even) for her age, then like the next week she cut it to her shoulders, now I realize her hair was mostly extentions, but who cares, she looks great anyway she wears her hair and I am sure she must have used the best extentions money could buy... ah well.

Really? I always thought it was naturally long. I think she kept it long and wouldn't cut it because her father had passed away. Her hair was beautiful long, but she is gorgeous either way.

noelgirl
November 19th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Really? I always thought it was naturally long. I think she kept it long and wouldn't cut it because her father had passed away. Her hair was beautiful long, but she is gorgeous either way.

That's what I had heard too - when her hair was really long I'm pretty sure that it was all hers, since it seemed to grow at a realistic rate.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 20th, 2008, 03:34 AM
That's what I had heard too - when her hair was really long I'm pretty sure that it was all hers, since it seemed to grow at a realistic rate.

I those were extentions in "Sahkespeare in Love," I wanna know where to get them??

ljkforu
November 20th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I associate long hair with teenagers and people in their twenties.

I wish there were more older longhairs. :cheese:
Ed
Ed, you hair is awesome.

lynlora
November 20th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I'll take the younger look! I guess that is why they tell us to cut it, we don't look our age. :D

I think you hit the nail right on the head !:applause

Alana2000
November 20th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Gweneth cut her hair to play in SLiding Doors (I think) and had extentions put on after, so maybe she just got sick of them and wanted her hair all natural.. who really knows anyway.. oh I know Gweneth knows! All I know is at some point in her life she wore extentions, but they must have been high quality.

EdG
November 20th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Ed, you hair is awesome.Thank you! You have great hair ljkforu! :)
Ed

Alana2000
November 20th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Ok well after a quick google search.. sliding doors was in 1998.. and so I guess she could have had grown some hair back however in 2000 she was in Duets and her hair was super long... no one can grow all their hair back in 2 years... but then again she can grow out in 8 years and then cut off the old extentions.. ah to afford good extentions.. hmm.

Copasetic
November 20th, 2008, 08:07 AM
long hair is very youthful looking. a lot of my friends chopped off their hair when they got "grown up" jobs to appear more mature. if i cut my hair, i might actually look my age, but i don't care :)

Comfrey
November 20th, 2008, 08:26 AM
There is one extension I think Gwyneth Paltrow should get rid of and that's Chris Martin. He's a cretin!

Alana2000
November 20th, 2008, 08:59 AM
What wrong with Chris Martin??

Comfrey
November 20th, 2008, 10:43 AM
What wrong with Chris Martin??

He's rude and obnoxious. you should listen to some of the so called interviews we have here with him. He walked out of one radio interview because he didnt think he was being taken seriously.

He's a singer for goodness sake not royalty. In fact royals act infinitely better.

Its a shame because she seems really rather nice :(

flapjack
November 20th, 2008, 10:50 PM
A lot of women who think they will look younger with short hair often do not look any younger in the end.

I'm not the best example of this topic, but I look so much younger with bangs, it's scary. I laugh to myself and think "in the future, when I want to look younger, I will just snip up some bangs" haha.

Katahdin
November 20th, 2008, 11:48 PM
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/Image/NCIS/NCIS(1).jpg
http://grizzliekilleur.g.r.pic.centerblog.net/nxkogxx3.jpg

That actress is on a TV show I watch, and she was only on the show for three season, so those pictures are at the very most three years apart.

Long hair definitely makes you look younger, IMO.

Payal80
November 21st, 2008, 12:51 AM
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/Image/NCIS/NCIS(1).jpg (http://www.buddytv.com/articles/Image/NCIS/NCIS%281%29.jpg)
http://grizzliekilleur.g.r.pic.centerblog.net/nxkogxx3.jpg

That actress is on a TV show I watch, and she was only on the show for three season, so those pictures are at the very most three years apart.

Long hair definitely makes you look younger, IMO.

short hair sort of gives boyish look maybe thats why longhair makes you look younger

Shufro
December 4th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Yea i definitlly think thats true.. When you see a older lady having long healthy hair you just cant help gettinf impressed that someone at her age having that kind of hair.

Robbi Dehlinger
December 4th, 2008, 10:43 PM
YES!

The short spiky hair gives her a very "pinched and severe" appearance!

ecologystudent
December 5th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I don't know about long hair making you look younger. When I had long hair, people usually thought I was with in a year or two of my true age.

But when I cut it, all of a sudden people think I'm way younger- like 13. I'm 20.

Of course, they also tend to mistake me for a boy more, too. :rolleyes:

Phoenix06
December 5th, 2008, 07:40 AM
It's true for me, being petite w/long hair def. made me look younger. When I cut it :( I looked in my thirties, which I am, boo. Soccer mom sadness. My own mother had long, BSL hair wavy and super blonde when she was in her 40s and she looked fantastic and full of life, maybe that makes you look younger too. SHe looked more carefree.

lora410
December 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Yup, it really does. When my hair was shoulder length I looked much older. Now that it is long again people think I look about 20 :)

morguebabe
December 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I think so, My mom is 55 and has mid back to hip length hair.
She looks much younger than her shorter haired counterparts.