PDA

View Full Version : Oils that penetrate hair..

Cate36
February 3rd, 2019, 01:03 PM
Someone posted this on the community facebook page.. the chart is useful..

https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR3yqbz10tbRLPFZu8EN6OTz66PB0OsshkarrZQeG ZLNPlZpVBs5Em3hvzM

Makyle
February 3rd, 2019, 01:12 PM
Brilliant thank you, I just bookmarked that!

spidermom
February 3rd, 2019, 01:48 PM
That was great, thanks.

Natalia_A00
February 3rd, 2019, 05:29 PM
Bump this because it's useful, thank you

lapushka
February 4th, 2019, 05:05 AM
Thanks for reposting in its own thread. It has been mentioned quite a few times on here already, but it's probably good to dedicate a special thread to it. :flower:

lithostoic
February 4th, 2019, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the info!

Sparkles122
February 4th, 2019, 10:23 AM
This is good information. I have a question for those that are knowledgeable about oil. Can I put either olive oil or almond oil on my hair on the night before wash day? Just from my crown to ends, not on my roots.

blackgothicdoll
February 4th, 2019, 10:31 AM
This is good information. I have a question for those that are knowledgeable about oil. Can I put either olive oil or almond oil on my hair on the night before wash day? Just from my crown to ends, not on my roots.

Yes, it's not a bad idea either. Pre-wash oiling (or oil prepoo) is very common.

Sparkles122
February 4th, 2019, 10:34 AM
Yes, it's not a bad idea either. Pre-wash oiling (or oil prepoo) is very common.

I think im going to start doing that. My plan would be to sleep with it in. What do you usually use to cover it?

milosmomma
February 4th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Great chart! I have to say I was keeping an eye for macadamia oil but sadly do not see it on the list :( I've read a few articles saying it does penetrate but nothing scientific.

blackgothicdoll
February 4th, 2019, 10:42 AM
I think im going to start doing that. My plan would be to sleep with it in. What do you usually use to cover it?

I put on a plastic cap and cover that with a scarf to keep it in place and stop it from making crinkly sounds all night. I know others like to pile their hair on top of their head and and sleep on a towel, but I feel I'd end up with oil on my face so I don't do this.

MusicalSpoons
February 4th, 2019, 10:44 AM

Sounds good! Olive oil is often found to be heavier than almond oil - it's neither a good nor bad thing, just something to be aware of when evaluating the results of whatever you decide :)

I use cheap satin pillowcases and have found on the few occasions I've pre-pooed with oil overnight that it had no effect on the material whatsoever (and therefore no need to cover my hair) - though I do change it the next day anyway, to be hygienic. You could use anything to cover your hair that you don't mind potentially getting slightly oily (just in case) that's smooth enough for your hair and that can be washed easily.

Ceib
February 4th, 2019, 01:15 PM
I was thinking about using coconut oil for a treatment by applying to dry hair, braiding, and then leaving overnight. Has anyone had good success with this?

lapushka
February 4th, 2019, 02:18 PM
I was thinking about using coconut oil for a treatment by applying to dry hair, braiding, and then leaving overnight. Has anyone had good success with this?

I would use a different oil. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with CO, but it has adverse effects on quite a few people. Dry, brittle hair instead of moisturized hair. You can try it, and see what it does for you, or not take the chance and choose a different oil.

blackgothicdoll
February 4th, 2019, 02:36 PM

I would use a different oil. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with CO, but it has adverse effects on quite a few people. Dry, brittle hair instead of moisturized hair. You can try it, and see what it does for you, or not take the chance and choose a different oil.

So I do this. Like Lapushka and many others, leaving in coconut oil will make my hair dry and crunchy. However, warming up coconut oil and applying it heavily to my hair, then washing it out, even the next morning, works wonders for the condition of my hair. I think this is because it is a penetrating oil, so washing the left over off of the hair after letting it help your hair is a trick.

You can always try it once and not do it again if you don't like the effects. I also condition before I wash to make it easier to wash all of it off. That could be a good idea too because leftover may end up feeling dry anyways.

Ceib
February 4th, 2019, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys! Is there anything you’d suggest other than coconut?

Sparkles122
February 4th, 2019, 07:20 PM
Sounds good! Olive oil is often found to be heavier than almond oil - it's neither a good nor bad thing, just something to be aware of when evaluating the results of whatever you decide :)

I use cheap satin pillowcases and have found on the few occasions I've pre-pooed with oil overnight that it had no effect on the material whatsoever (and therefore no need to cover my hair) - though I do change it the next day anyway, to be hygienic. You could use anything to cover your hair that you don't mind potentially getting slightly oily (just in case) that's smooth enough for your hair and that can be washed easily.

I think ill start with the almond oil

Glitch
February 4th, 2019, 09:15 PM

I love sweet almond oil :) It's very light and my skin and hair seem to drink it right up. Most other oils sadly often disturb my sensitive scalp and cause me to lose hair.

And thank you to OP for posting this - led me down yet another long reading path lol and now I'm going to try out sunflower oil. :o

ChloeDharma
February 6th, 2019, 02:39 PM

Coconut oil has been my staple pre-wash heavy oil for longer than I can remember. I do use other oils too but always go back to coconut oil, either pure, in a blend, with herb extracts or sometimes Monoi oil (nobody talks about Monoi here anymore, it used to be really popular).
I've always found it good and tend to feel more comfortable washing my hair knowing it's been soaking in coconut oil. Some people don't get on with it but many people do and remember that traditionally coconut and sesame oils were staples in India for prewash oilings so it can work very well for many people.

lapushka
February 6th, 2019, 02:45 PM

Depends on what you have? Do you have olive oil (quite heavy), so I would not use a lot. Or sweet almond or macadamia or jojoba, those are all good.

Katsura
February 6th, 2019, 11:28 PM
Avocado oil agrees with my hair. I had to stop using it for a while to protect my problem scalp and had a lot more breakage during that time. Now I found my good shampoo, and I've taken back the avocado oil and the breakage has reduced.
I use it for my skin too, it feels great. It is a natural source of Q10. I don't know if that has hair benefits.

I've been looking at hemp oil too, but I haven't tried it.

blackgothicdoll
February 7th, 2019, 07:39 AM
Oh yeah, I love sunflower oil and extra light extra virgin olive oil - maybe helpful for those who find olive oil too heavy. Sunflower oil is a perfect medium for me.

Alexandrina
February 7th, 2019, 02:14 PM
I use coconut oil myself, but never looked into the science background of it. Interesting chart, thanks for posting

Cherriezzzzz
February 7th, 2019, 07:37 PM
I love sweet almond oil :) It's very light and my skin and hair seem to drink it right up. Most other oils sadly often disturb my sensitive scalp and cause me to lose hair.

And thank you to OP for posting this - led me down yet another long reading path lol and now I'm going to try out sunflower oil. :o

I'm having HUGE success with sunflower oil! I hope you tried it!

Ceib
February 7th, 2019, 09:05 PM
I have olive oil and coconut oil now. I'm tempted to try sweet almond and sunflower after hearing about those.

Glitch
February 8th, 2019, 12:50 AM
I'm having HUGE success with sunflower oil! I hope you tried it!

Oh yay that’s awesome to hear!! Mine actully came in today and I couldn’t wait :) So far, I’m very happy with how light it is and how quickly my hair drinks it up. I like it a lot already - I’m excited to see how it’ll all turn out with regular use!

Glitch
February 8th, 2019, 12:55 AM
I have olive oil and coconut oil now. I'm tempted to try sweet almond and sunflower after hearing about those.

Interestingly, both olive oil and coconut oil had me losing hair and reacting badly to it, while sweet almond and sunflower have been a great experience so far. The heavy oils and light oils can be pretty different, depending on what you need. Best of luck!

Ylva
February 8th, 2019, 12:22 PM

I don't cover my oiled hair with anything. It's not dripping with oil, after all, so I don't notice any harm from not covering it with anything.

Yes, I do that often, but like others have said, coconut oil doesn't work for everyone, but you won't know until you try.

milosmomma
February 8th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Has anyone tried meadowfoam seed oil? I am going to try it in the near future. I have heard it's very shelf stable as well, does anyone know exactly how long it's shelf life is? The more you purchase the less is cost per ounce so I was going to purchase quite a bit :)

ETA I just seen a source say it has a shelf life of 48 months, if that's the case guess it's safe to stock up

Rosy blossom
February 9th, 2019, 01:08 AM
I can't use coconut oil as it doesn't agree with my hair at all. It makes my hair very dry and straw like, my ends look damaged etc. I found both olive oil and avocado oil to be amazing for my hair, esp when I add sweet almond oil and few EOs with it.

browntatis
February 9th, 2019, 09:46 PM
Wow, I never thought coconut oil didn't worked good for some.
To me, coconut oil is Holy! Hahaha, I love it so much, I haven't oiled my hair lately because I have been very busy, but I normally mix coconut, olive, black castor, jojoba and rosemary essential oil and leave on my hair overnight. When I am lazy I only use coconut oil before washing and it works great.
I am just very disappointed to know about jojoba not penetrating hair, maybe I didn't notice because I mix it with other oils, but I will have to stop using it and use that money in something else, because jojoba oil is expensive.

I will have to try the sunflower and almond oil and see how it works :D
Just a question, is sunflower oil the same oil is used for cooking? Or is a different one.