PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Apocalypse Hair Care and Weaponry

Makyle
February 3rd, 2019, 12:10 PM
I saw this in an archived thread and the ideas and comments had me in stitches.

(Mods if this needs to be moved elsewhere please do, I have no idea where to put this)

Questions :

1. Could you find a way to make your hair (or sheds) useful? How?
2. Are you prepped ie. Do you have enough products or would you raid.
3. What would your apocalyptic hair care be
4. Sticks and forks as weapons yes/no
5. Go to hairstyle

lithostoic
February 3rd, 2019, 01:18 PM
1. My hair has decent tensile strength, I'll bet if I braided multiple strands it would make good twine. Also good for fishing line and suturing!

2. I'm good for the forseeable future. I only shampoo a couple times a month and cowash every 5ish days. Plenty of oils and leave-ins available too.

3. I'd definitely be washing even less. My hair would be braided at all times when not being washed or dried.

4. That sounds unsanitary :P

5. See number 3

Makyle
February 3rd, 2019, 01:35 PM
1. My hair has decent tensile strength, I'll bet if I braided multiple strands it would make good twine. Also good for fishing line and suturing!

2. I'm good for the forseeable future. I only shampoo a couple times a month and cowash every 5ish days. Plenty of oils and leave-ins available too.

3. I'd definitely be washing even less. My hair would be braided at all times when not being washed or dried.

4. That sounds unsanitary :P

5. See number 3

Fishing line... that's brilliant , there are alot of heads of hair on here who could do deep sea fishing with their length :D

Pacific
February 3rd, 2019, 01:55 PM
I have an emergency bag near to my doorway but hope I don't need it.

1. I haven't thought about if my hair could be useful.

2. I have Dove sensitive bars, a wide toothed comb, a scrunchie and some hair pins in my bag.

3. I only would use the Dove sensitive bar.

4. I don't have sticks or forks which could be used as weapons, I packed some knives.

5. English braid and cinnamon bun.

guska
February 3rd, 2019, 02:49 PM
1. My hair is coarse so maybe it could be used as sewing thread? Though it's not very long yet.

2. I'm good with shampoo only. In the worst case I could also WO though my scalp would probably flare up pretty quickly. And lots hair ties and bobby pins/clips. I can't stand hair in my face and eyes.

3. Shampoo every fourth day. Finger combing regularly because no conditioner probably means some tangles.

4. I don't often use sticks/forks/hair accessories but why not? Chopsticks would multi-function as cutlery.

5. Ponytail/braid at my current length. Nothing too intricate since I don't have great braiding skills.

Wildcat Diva
February 3rd, 2019, 03:05 PM
Now this is my kind of thread.

Makyle
February 3rd, 2019, 03:13 PM
I'm useless at using forks and sticks for my hair at bsl, so they would definitely be weaponry.

Hair would be up and clipped away, and I would do hair product raids when/if food raids needed to happen, otherwise WO routine.

milosmomma
February 3rd, 2019, 04:12 PM
Oooo this sounds fun!

1. I have a ball of sheds already saved up under my sink. They could be used for thread/clothing repairs. Flossing teeth(gross but if you're desperate maybe). Small snare traps for animals when braided/wound together for strength. If you collected enough shed you could make yarn and some probably very scratchy clothing LOL

2.Not prepared at all, I was planning a big haul with tax return season. I have plenty of oils and baby shampoo that I could use but low in the condish department. Would probably raid for a good conditioner.

3.Probably just oiled and braided or up with a fork. Wash when not being eaten.

4.I already think of my metal forks as weapons. Living in a big city with violence your mind wanders about those type of things. I would stab a normal person attacking me with a fork so why not a zombie?? :o

5.Same as 3. Out of the way and protected as much as possible

GrowlingCupcake
February 3rd, 2019, 04:22 PM
1. I do not know how useful my hair would be, but it could probably be used as thread/string/rope, especially when braided.
2. I have plenty of... everything hair related. I am entirely not prepped for anything else, though!
3. Minimal. Wash when I can, ignored when I cannot. I would try to keep it as tangle free as possible otherwise I would end up with matted hair.
4. I consider everything a weapon. I would use whatever I could.
5. Braided bun or crown braids or some kind of pinned braid. Probably oiled to help with tangles.

blesseddamozel
February 3rd, 2019, 04:31 PM
I'd opt to use my sheds as tinder. Especially the bunches of shed hairs that come from my brush.
When it comes to hair I'm not too prepped. I have my hair forks and brush, but when it comes to products I'd be extremely minimal in a situation like this.
I'd strip my routine down to just a wash once a week with whatever soap is on hand, and then some sort of oil as a leave in.
If it came down to it
5. Go to hairstyle
LWB most likely. Or an english braid.

TatsuOni
February 4th, 2019, 02:03 PM
I could probably make rope if I collected hairs for a while.

I'd probably start NW/SO and make sure that I always have my BBB and a comb.

NW/SO

Yes. I have a couple of them that would work fine for it.

5. Go to hairstyle
Amish bun under a hair scarf I think. Nice and secure. Can stay up for days and I can sleep with it. But if I'm short on time when I'm putting my hair up I'd probably go for a braided bun.

HaMalka
February 4th, 2019, 07:08 PM

Thread, rope, tinder, compost, pillow stuffing

I have enough product to last me a couple of months but beyond that I would have to raid for shampoo and conditioner. I would likely be far less picky in what products I raid than in what products I currently buy. I have sticks and forks and if, by happenstance or by using them as weaponry, they all broke it would be fairly simple to make more. I would probably run out of u-pins and I would have to raid for them or scavenge for short bits of wire to make them because long wires would be too valuable to use as hairpins.

Wash and condition every 2-4 weeks when in a safe position.

Absolutely. I already stab people with them accidentally so why not do it on purpose. I would probably dispose of or sterilize (if possible) it afterwards though. I have some hair sticks that are sharp enough as is to do some serious damage and I have the materials needed to sharpen some of my others.

5. Go to hairstyle

Braided LWB held with a hair stick possibly with an extra for sole use as a weapon. If I have not run out of U-pins I would also do a braided cinnamon bun. Everything else takes to much time to do in an unsecured location.

PixieNixie
February 4th, 2019, 07:54 PM
I have four hair sticks that could be used as weapons. I dont know why, but they are super pointy at the end and have to be worn sideways otherwise they poke me in the neck :/ That would be about my only defense. My hair isnt long enough to weaponize. Def would have to keep it bunned cuz I would run outta conditioner and shampoo fast. I have no back up stock. Lol

Makyle
February 5th, 2019, 01:56 AM
I'm loving these replies lol... I'm imagining a group of LHC longhaired amazons taking over the post apocalyptic world :D

HaMalka
February 5th, 2019, 07:06 AM
I'm loving these replies lol... I'm imagining a group of LHC longhaired amazons taking over the post apocalyptic world :D

Don't imagine me as an amazon. I would likely be dead within the first day before I even had a chance to implement my plans unless I had someone to help protect me, happened to be in a safe place when the apocalypse happened or divine intervention.

Begemot
February 5th, 2019, 10:19 AM
Honestly... if zombie apocalypse happened tomorrow, I would either be someone's meal or I would kill myself. But I guess it's more fun if we imagine I'd survive :D sorry for being so morbid.

I doubt I would be that resourceful in such situation. Maybe hair could be used as a bait of some sort (if zombies detect our scent and go after it).
Nope. Would need to go after everything necessary.
I would shave my hair if I was out there on my own dodging zombies. So minimal wash and go type of care.
As the last resort, yes, but I don't think I could kill a zombie with one. Maybe I could blind them and run away.
5. Go to hairstyle
If there were grabby zombies around, I would shave my head. I think I would have no hair even if I was somewhere relatively safe. I always have nightmares after watching zombie movies and often I dream that they grab my hair hrrr.

Kaj
February 15th, 2019, 06:56 PM
I'm new here and had planned to lurk a while, but couldn't resist this topic.
;)

Questions :

I'm pretty sure that I could....I'm a spinner and since horse hair is spun to make lasso rope, I imagine I could spin mine for lure trap twine, fishing, etc and sheds for fire starter and possibly other things like filter netting, maybe.

I'm not prepped, don't have a "stash" as I pretty much use up what I have before buying more and raiding for hair products seems unreasonably risky during a crisis situation so I wouldn't really worry about being prepped for products.

3. What would your apocalyptic hair care be?
live in the Blue Ridge Mountains, so I'm assuming I would be located here in the event of an apocalypse as well and Wild Yam is pervasive here. Wild Yam has a fairly high saponin content so I would use it to wash my hair (and whatever else) whenever I had the safety to do so.

Most definitely! I live in a very rural area now but have spent my life in very large cities. Anything and everything can be and is a weapon.

5. Go to hairstyle

Probably the same thing I do with it now; an English braid for as long as it was practical then I'd put it in dreadlocks. Once that was not do-able, I'd cut it off.

:cool:

val.
February 15th, 2019, 07:31 PM
such a great thread!

Kindling for fire.

I'm raiding the good stuff.

3. What would your apocalyptic hair care be?
Less washing, more conditioning.

Definitely.

5. Go to hairstyle
Braided headband with the rest in a bun.

KameRose
February 16th, 2019, 06:40 PM
Fascinating topic

I probably wouldn't.
Pssh, with the fact that I will often stretch my weekly washes, sometimes to two weeks, I think I will be good for over a year with the amount of shampoo and conditioner on hand. But realistically my mother would run out of hers quickly and raid mine.... she's a daily washer. :/
For some reason my head is saying charcoal and water washes. Would only do washes when my hair is screaming at me for it.
I already think of my hairsticks as useful emergency weapons. In fact I was just eyeing tactical pens a few days ago and thinking that I needed to find one that I could use as a hairstick.
5. Go to hairstyle
Up in a bun or if I can't do that then full out cave woman hair.

I actually had to google using charcoal on hair. Seems that charcoal and coconut oil makes a good hair scalp scrub, interesting will need to try it.

meteor
February 16th, 2019, 08:11 PM
I saw this in an archived thread and the ideas and comments had me in stitches.

(Mods if this needs to be moved elsewhere please do, I have no idea where to put this)

Questions :

5. Go to hairstyle

1. I don't know, ropes possibly, fishing rod from an accent braid, hair strings for traps ? If it's cold, I can just wear hair loose for extra warmth or wrap it around my neck like a scarf.
2. I have enough to last me a while, plus I can always dilute some product. Access to clean water would be a bigger concern for me.
3. Mostly NW/SO and scalp-only washes and infrequent full washes, especially if water access is an issue.
4. Yes, especially metal chopsticks or something with sharpened pointy ends
5. Braided one-stick bun (Braided L-Infinity)

TatsuOni
January 30th, 2024, 09:05 AM
I could probably make a rope or something useful after a while. Perhaps a zombie trap :lol:

I have some products, but I would mainly do NW/SO. I would probably be most sad, when running out of detanglig spray.

NW/SO I think. Who dares to take long showers with zombies around? If there's even enough water for it.

Definitely yes! My hair swords would be great for this!

5. Go to hairstyle
Coronet braid or some quick bun under a scarf.

Für immer
January 30th, 2024, 11:44 AM
Questions :

5. Go to hairstyle

1, Like others probably have already said, I would make a rope.
2, While I dislike the stereotype of Scandinavians and vikings (calling us that is basically calling us thieves, which is not a compliment), I would raid. :whistle:
3, Least amount of work. :lol:
4, I got a hairstick in the shape of a trident, another as an arrow and a third as an axe. So, you tell me... :eyebrows:
5, just a bun under my cap.

Lady Winchester
January 30th, 2024, 02:08 PM
1. Could you find a way to make your hair (or sheds) useful? How? No, my hair's not that long, and I keep it tied back in a ponytail.
2. Are you prepped ie. Do you have enough products or would you raid. I only use a few products; my regular anti-dandruff shampoo plus conditioner, covered elastics or a big barrette and I have plenty of those (meaning the covered elastics, since I only have one big barrette). I don't see this changing anytime soon, since sometimes less is better
3. What would your apocalyptic hair care be Same as it is now. Wash and condition once a week and tie it back in a ponytail or single braid
4. Sticks and forks as weapons yes/no No, since I don't use them (if you mean hair products)
5. Go to hairstyle single ponytail or braid