PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for taming my ponytail halo

hoggle
February 2nd, 2019, 08:41 PM
Hi all

As I've gotten older the texture of my hair has changed quite a bit...miniaturization from hair loss but also much more breakage overall. I have a huge Halo of frizz around my head when I wear in a ponytail and it just seems to get worse as the day progresses. .

It's as bad as this guys lol
https://youtu.be/paQGV3g47ZY

I think his hair looks amazing afterwards!! but I'm afraid to use heat on my hair especially with miniaturization. I'd like to copy his technique but not use heat.

Also I have seborrheic dermatitis so anything like coconut oil etc is out. It makes my scalp cranky

Do you guys have any suggestions or styling products you recommend? My hair is wavy. Big waves. Huge tia

2gaits
February 2nd, 2019, 09:11 PM
Hair spray and a tightly bristled brush or even a toothbrush. Spray and lightly brush over.

Groovy Granny
February 2nd, 2019, 09:20 PM
I do the same ^^ with a mixed bristle BBB.
Some use aloe but my fine wispy hair doesn't like it.
Wearing your hair looser and blending it in helps too.
I have new growth from crown to hemline and it curls in humidity....there is no smoothness or even curl definition.
Bottom line...style it, try a taming method....... then avoid your reflection for the day if it is out of control (like I do) :rollin:

-Fern
February 2nd, 2019, 09:57 PM
I form the ponytail, dampen my crown hair, run aloe gel over it, and smooth with a boar bristle brush before securing with the hair tie.

My hair is also wavy:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34687&d=1545412573

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29029&d=1510424058

cjk
February 2nd, 2019, 10:04 PM
Based on your question I'm guessing you have textured hair, maybe even curly.

I use a BBB to brush my flyaways into compliance with my braids. But if I need to wrangle them, I can add very diluted conditioner before smoothing them back.

There are also edging gels and similar products.

hoggle
February 3rd, 2019, 10:23 AM
Fern I'd murder a puppy to have hair like you! Sleek for no heat

I have a BBB that I love thanks to this board. I guess next step is to find a styling product

My hair isn't curly but definitely wavy
I'm in GA so yeah the humidity makes it worse

blackgothicdoll
February 3rd, 2019, 10:43 AM
Fern I'd murder a puppy to have hair like you! Sleek for no heat

Bahaha. Me too.

Fern, you have what I call 'marine hair'. It's immaculate.

If you're suffering humidity, you may have to go for an actual gel. LA looks sport gel was my favorite, you probably just need to spritz hair with a little bit of water first, rub the gel between your palms and smooth it over those flyaways, then add more if needed. And then of course go in with your BBB to lay it down. I think that would help. Ecostyler is my go to for humidity, any time I go down south I have to have a jar with me to tame my hair.

sugar&nutmeg
February 3rd, 2019, 12:26 PM
I've abandoned hope on this subject.

Slightly different issue. It's windy where I live, so I've resigned myself to looking like a dandelion gone to seed, if any of my updos get caught outdoors w/o a hat. Hats are also problematic...see 'windy'. A brimmed hat will try to blow off. I do wear knit lacy caps.

I'm not a fan of hairspray (smell sensitivity, and stretching washes), and there's not enough aloe gel in the world to win against the Wild Midwest wind. I just let it go...but I'm not in love with the look! :silly:

-Fern
February 3rd, 2019, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the compliments, folks, though no puppies need murdering. :lol:

I perfected this technique while living in Texas, so it definitely works with high humidity. I prefer aloe over commercial gels for a couple of reasons... No alcohol, so hair doesn't get that "crunchy" feel. Aloe moisturizes the hair, making it even more manageable second day (assuming you don't wash between), and it also makes my hair softer to the touch (it's normally quite coarse).

Good luck! Aloe has worked magic for me, and while YMMV, I definitely encourage you to try. :)

Kake
February 3rd, 2019, 01:27 PM
I know you said no heat, but hairspray and a tiny little blast of heat works amazingly.

Groovy Granny
February 3rd, 2019, 01:36 PM
Rosewater and glycerin spritzes with a BBB pass helps me too if you don't use hairspray.

spidermom
February 3rd, 2019, 01:36 PM
What worked best for me is either styling wax or pomade, but that left my hair looking oily afterward. What worked pretty good was spreading a small amount of styling gel between WET palms (wetting them worked a lot better for some reason, maybe ease of spread), then stroking my palms over the surface of my hair. Sometimes I'd do this twice to catch the most stubborn sproingers. If I didn't encounter wind or mess with my hair afterwards, it lasted through the day and even sometimes until the next time I washed it (depending on humidity and the alignment of the planets).

Groovy Granny
February 3rd, 2019, 01:39 PM
What worked best for me is either styling wax or pomade, but that left my hair looking oily afterward. What worked pretty good was spreading a small amount of styling gel between WET palms (wetting them worked a lot better for some reason, maybe ease of spread), then stroking my palms over the surface of my hair. Sometimes I'd do this twice to catch the most stubborn sproingers. If I didn't encounter wind or mess with my hair afterwards, it lasted through the day and even sometimes until the next time I washed it (depending on humidity and the alignment of the planets).

:thumbsup:

You reminded me....I also have used Garnier Styling Paste....just a teensy bit worked on finger tips and passed over the rogue hairs.