PDA

View Full Version : Easy French twist

Neoma
February 2nd, 2019, 04:35 PM
I think I invented a new way to make a French twist (FT). I twist the length three turns like I'm making a FT. Then I drape the remaining length over three fingers at the top of the FT, make a loose knot and tuck the little tail into the FT's "spine." Finally, I secure the knot with a Ficcare. Since the knot is covered with the Ficcare, it just looks like a FT. It's fast, easy and secure.

Sadly, I'm not good at taking pics of the back of my head. If anyone recreates it, please post a pic if you can. :flower:

My hair is almost APL, baby fine and silky, though I have a lot of it. I doubt that the knot trick would work for other hair types unless their hair was much longer.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2019, 04:36 PM
Neoma, what is a FT?

Neoma
February 2nd, 2019, 04:45 PM
Neoma, what is a FT?
Hi lapushka :waving:

A French twist. :)

lapushka
February 2nd, 2019, 04:59 PM
Hi lapushka :waving:

A French twist. :)

Oh darn talk about being silly! :lol: I should have guessed!!! :D
Thanks!

lapushka
February 2nd, 2019, 05:00 PM
I think this might be called a log roll. :?: I could be mistaken, though. But from your description, it is basically how I used to do my roll for my "peacock twist" when I had too much length to still do it with a tail hanging out.

Neoma
February 2nd, 2019, 05:05 PM
With a log roll, you wrap length around a tail in order to approximate a FT. Log rolls look awful and wimpy on my hair.

:flower:

akurah
February 2nd, 2019, 05:09 PM
I tried this just now, since the french twist was my absolute hands down favorite and my hair is too long now for how I used to do it. Except I think I make my french twists funny anyway, the "excess hair" you have to tuck, that hair is coming out of the bottom of my twist, it's not at the top. And I don't know where i learned that from, unless I learned it as a way of "my hair is too long for how I used to, let me do this modification...."

I'll see if i can take a video of my goofy way later to see how nuts I am...

Anyway, after making my french twist, then sort of finagling the loose hair to the top (from where it was at the bottom), I did as described, then tucked the tail, and, now I have a french twist. When I haven't been able to make one for awhile.

My hair is wet and not detangled, and this picture is not very good, but here's what I got...

https://i.imgur.com/oW3RkYj.jpg?2

Neoma
February 2nd, 2019, 05:15 PM
I tried this just now, since the french twist was my absolute hands down favorite and my hair is too long now for how I used to do it. Except I think I make my french twists funny anyway, the "excess hair" you have to tuck, that hair is coming out of the bottom of my twist, it's not at the top. And I don't know where i learned that from, unless I learned it as a way of "my hair is too long for how I used to, let me do this modification...."

I'll see if i can take a video of my goofy way later to see how nuts I am...

Anyway, after making my french twist, then sort of finagling the loose hair to the top (from where it was at the bottom), I did as described, then tucked the tail, and, now I have a french twist. When I haven't been able to make one for awhile.

My hair is wet and not detangled, and this picture is not very good, but here's what I got...

https://i.imgur.com/oW3RkYj.jpg?2

Sweet! Thank you for sharing your pic, akurah!

There's a video somewhere of making a FT where the tail of untucked hair is at the bottom instead of the top. At one point, I made mine like that.

Here's a video of the upside down FT. :flowers:

ReadingRenee
February 2nd, 2019, 05:36 PM
I think this is how I do my french twists when I use a ficcarre. When you say a knot, are you talking like a loop? or a bun? I used to make a loop with my left over hair and tuck into the spine of my french twist. It was pretty much my best ficcarre hairstyle. :)

akurah
February 2nd, 2019, 05:52 PM
So after reviewing your instructions, I think I didn't do it right (that is, not per your instructions).

Here's me making a french twist:
https://youtu.be/Kmum5FhCDPg
Starting at the 30 second mark or so--normally i tuck the tail, but it's too long. What I do (wrap around the top) is what I thought Neoma was instructing us to do...

Also I figured out why my french twists are weird. I start it like a log roll. I think i switched to that when it got too long to do the usual way and that's why I do that.

Neoma
February 2nd, 2019, 08:06 PM
I think this is how I do my french twists when I use a ficcarre. When you say a knot, are you talking like a loop? or a bun? I used to make a loop with my left over hair and tuck into the spine of my french twist. It was pretty much my best ficcarre hairstyle. :)

Hi ReadingRenee :waving:

Nope, I mean a real knot, but a loose one. Wrap remaining hair around three fingers one time, pull tail through the resulting hole, tuck the tail into the FT spine. :flower:

So after reviewing your instructions, I think I didn't do it right (that is, not per your instructions).

Here's me making a french twist:
https://youtu.be/Kmum5FhCDPg
Starting at the 30 second mark or so--normally i tuck the tail, but it's too long. What I do (wrap around the top) is what I thought Neoma was instructing us to do...

Also I figured out why my french twists are weird. I start it like a log roll. I think i switched to that when it got too long to do the usual way and that's why I do that.

akurah, when my hair was waist length or longer, I did mine the same way as yours. :flower: Good video! Where does one acquire a leather flexi-8?

Groovy Granny
February 2nd, 2019, 09:40 PM
Nope, I mean a real knot, but a loose one. Wrap remaining hair around three fingers one time, pull tail through the resulting hole, tuck the tail into the FT spine. :flower:

akurah, when my hair was waist length or longer, I did mine the same way as yours. :flower: Good video! Where does one acquire a leather flexi-8?

I'll have to try BOTH versions....I am starting to struggle with my ends :thumbsup:

Oh my dear.....you have missed them....they are awesome with acrylics :love:

https://shops.lillarose.biz/MemberToolsDotNet/ShoppingCartV4/SelectCartCatalog.aspx?MG=2&G1=128&G2=129&SCC=-1&SCCRoutingCode=&ReferringDealerID=824930

I had some shorter sticks to use with the smalls for twists and ponytails too ....and got a few of their matching sticks :eyebrows:

Sarahlabyrinth
February 3rd, 2019, 03:02 AM
I do mine this way - it may not work for very long thick hair though:

https://youtu.be/bOLVCmhqVr8

Neoma
February 3rd, 2019, 09:40 AM
I'll have to try BOTH versions....I am starting to struggle with my ends :thumbsup:

Oh my dear.....you have missed them....they are awesome with acrylics :love:

https://shops.lillarose.biz/MemberToolsDotNet/ShoppingCartV4/SelectCartCatalog.aspx?MG=2&G1=128&G2=129&SCC=-1&SCCRoutingCode=&ReferringDealerID=824930

I had some shorter sticks to use with the smalls for twists and ponytails too ....and got a few of their matching sticks :eyebrows:Thank you, Groovy Granny! I didn't realize that they carried so many cool things! I bookmarked the site.

https://youtu.be/bOLVCmhqVr8Wow! I wouldn't have thought that you could get all that hair into a FT! Lovely, Sarahlabyrinth! :thud:

Cg
February 3rd, 2019, 10:06 AM

https://youtu.be/bOLVCmhqVr8

My attempt at your method was worthy of a blackmail video. As soon as I clipped the top part it began to droop and slide, then the tucked part flipped the claw sideways even before the lower section was all the way wound.

French twists are elegant, my favorite style -- on others. (:violin:)

ReadingRenee
February 3rd, 2019, 10:10 AM
Hi ReadingRenee :waving:

Hi Neoma! :waving:

Ok, now I understand better. That is so interesting. I think my hair is just still a little too short for this method but as soon as its longer I am definitely going to try this. It sounds like it would look really nice and keep the ends tucked in and protected. :)

sophia_
February 3rd, 2019, 10:21 AM
I kind of do something that's kind of like a nautilus, but with a stick/long fork instead of the hand, so it looks kind of like a (giant) French twist. I did it after a group of my friends decided everyone was going to wear a French twist for an event as part of our uniform, and I was bitter because they didn't consider that I couldn't do a real one, lol. My explanation is probably not understandable, but I gather my hair in the back of my head, take the stick pointed sideways, and twist it in a circle like I would with my hand for a nautilus. When the stick is facing upwards, I flip it through the scalp hair until it comes out from the bottom. Then I wrap the remaining hair around the stick and pin it. It ends up looking like a French twist with a stick and a bun behind it, which is something, at least. It probably wouldn't work for hair much shorter, but it might work better for someone with hip-length hair, as they would have less of a bun behind it, and more of a twist (though I'm secretly happy that my I finally get to complain about my bun being *too big*, lol!). It holds for quite a while on my slippery hair.

lunasea
February 3rd, 2019, 11:10 AM
Some interesting variations here I will have to try.

Neoma
February 3rd, 2019, 01:42 PM
Hi Neoma! :waving:

Ok, now I understand better. That is so interesting. I think my hair is just still a little too short for this method but as soon as its longer I am definitely going to try this. It sounds like it would look really nice and keep the ends tucked in and protected. :)Please let us know how it works for you, ReadingRenee! :flowers:

I kind of do something that's kind of like a nautilus, but with a stick/long fork instead of the hand, so it looks kind of like a (giant) French twist. I did it after a group of my friends decided everyone was going to wear a French twist for an event as part of our uniform, and I was bitter because they didn't consider that I couldn't do a real one, lol. My explanation is probably not understandable, but I gather my hair in the back of my head, take the stick pointed sideways, and twist it in a circle like I would with my hand for a nautilus. When the stick is facing upwards, I flip it through the scalp hair until it comes out from the bottom. Then I wrap the remaining hair around the stick and pin it. It ends up looking like a French twist with a stick and a bun behind it, which is something, at least. It probably wouldn't work for hair much shorter, but it might work better for someone with hip-length hair, as they would have less of a bun behind it, and more of a twist (though I'm secretly happy that my I finally get to complain about my bun being *too big*, lol!). It holds for quite a while on my slippery hair.I can picture what you're saying, sophia. :flower:

It sounds like a variation of a flipped bun, which looks like a FT with a party on top! I make mine that way when my hair is waist length or longer.

Groovy Granny
February 3rd, 2019, 01:46 PM
Thank you, Groovy Granny! I didn't realize that they carried so many cool things! I bookmarked the site.

Booky and Lunasea started a new addiction with those leathers :eyebrows: