PDA

View Full Version : Anastasia Sidorova

Cate36
January 30th, 2019, 08:20 PM
This woman is my hair idol.. she was losing her hair 5 years ago, so studied to be a trichologist to find a cure, because she couldn't find the help she needed. She has now started a YouTube channel dedicated to hair. This is her first video - if you click subtitles you can read in English :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO-PQMiN1W8

Joules
January 31st, 2019, 01:21 AM
I love her! Can't wait to see more of her videos. She (together with another Russian hair blogger) opened my eyes to sulfates and how sulfate-free is actually damaging for most people, I wonder how many more surprises she has in store. Her hair is beyond fabulous, considering the fact that she has AGA.

Begemot
January 31st, 2019, 03:21 AM
I remember she was mentioned in a different thread somewhere here. She is gorgeous, hair and everything :) I read some articles about her hair care tips and they seem to be the usual. No big secret, just loving care :D from some site

Anastasiya’s recommendations to girls dreaming of long hair are as follows:

Keep balance in food, and give up diets.
Avoid stress.
Find products specific to your hair type.
Use nourishing masks at least 2 times a week.
Use different oils. One of the best treatments for hair is avocado oil.
Cut off split ends.
Wash your hair in a timely manner, and learn how to dry your hair correctly (at first, hair should dry itself by 60%, and only then should you blow dry and comb).
If your hair loss exceeds the norm (about 50-100 hairs a day), you should seek advice from a professional who will help with treatment.
And minimal heat styling

Joules
January 31st, 2019, 03:55 AM
...snip
...snip snip...

There's a difference between "hair type" and "scalp type", she often makes a point that the main purpose of shampoo is to clean your scalp, so if your scalp is oily, you should use a shampoo for oily hair even if your hair itself is dry and damaged. That's in my opinion the unusual part of her hair care advice, here on LHC using harsh shampoos on dry hair would be considered a crime against long hair (some people still think that any shampoo is a crime against long hair...so yeah).

Begemot
January 31st, 2019, 04:03 AM
Hmm makes sense! I still hear about people (non-LHCers) who wash all of their hair, from roots to tips, with shampoo and I think that's generally considered a bad idea. You can't avoid getting some shampoo on tips but I don't think it's always detrimental for hair if you mostly concentrate shampooing roots. Someone with dry hair could pre-poo and/or do CWC to help that. People just need to figure out what works for them.

Ylva
January 31st, 2019, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the channel tip! I subbed to her. :)

Astrid Carlisle
January 31st, 2019, 04:34 AM
I don't like her that much. She basically says that you shouldn't stretch washes. Really? I stretched washes just fine no problem and know many people who have. I used to was my hair every 2nd day, now it's once a week. She also states that sulphates and silicones being harmful is a myth. Well doesn't that depend on the hair type and what your hair prefers?

Joules
January 31st, 2019, 05:04 AM
I don't like her that much. She basically says that you shouldn't stretch washes. Really? I stretched washes just fine no problem and know many people who have. I used to was my hair every 2nd day, now it's once a week. She also states that sulphates and silicones being harmful is a myth. Well doesn't that depend on the hair type and what your hair prefers?

She explains the science behind why stretching washes sometimes "works". Excess sebum becomes more waxy, clogs and overstretches your pores (sorta like blackheads some people with oily skin get on their faces), as a result more sebum can't "escape" clogged pores and it seems like your hair stays cleaner longer. When in fact it's just a sebum plug keeping everything in.

Besides, how can you know for sure your hormones haven't changed? Sebum production is controlled exclusively by hormones. That's why little kids can get away with washing their hair once a week, but the moment puberty hits they become oily monsters. Maybe your wash stretches coincided with slight hormonal changes in your body?

Anastasia also mentions that excess oiliness can be a sign that the products you're using aren't right for you. I've had a reaction to a mask before, when my hair became oily literally hours after using it (I usually go for 3 days between washes), and my scalp was itching like crazy. I clarified, and things got back to normal. Again, how do you know it wasn't the stuff that you're using that makes your scalp less oily?

Also, it could be just a fluke for you. So so soo many people get scalp problems because of stretching washes or co-washing. I sure did. I never became less oily, but I got more shedding and symptoms of fungal overgrowth. ANd that's considering the fact thet my scalp is more "normal" than "oily" and I wasn't prone to such issues to begin with. I've noticed quite a lot of similar cases here on LHC, people get into the sulfates-are-horrible trend, ditch normal shampoos, and cry afterwards. What I'm trying to say is that there are far more examples that prove Anastasia's words, you're most likely just an exception.

And no, it's not really about "what your hair prefers". Well, first of all, when she said sulfates and silicones aren't harmful, she meant that they don't cause cancer and endocrine disruptions like some people claim. And secondly, I dislike the whole YMMV thing quite a lot, because way too many things get swept under this abbreviation. Yes, some things are very personal, like for example not everyone is going to like one particular mask, and some people are allergic to certain ingredients, but there are general hair care rules that will most definitely suit the majority. Like the fact that sebum production is hormone-related and not cleansing your scalp properly will lead to problems. There are exceptions, but there aren't that many of them. There are standard protocols for treating illnesses, why is hair care any different?

Sid0rela
January 31st, 2019, 05:19 AM
Ohh she finally has a youtube channel!
I love her hair so much, from length to color. :happydance:
Thanks for sharing..

Sid0rela
January 31st, 2019, 05:25 AM
Joules that's very good points mentioned here, thank you for taking the time writing and explaining things I've somewhat heard before but not as clearly as you stated in your comment.
I just want to say that the fact that she herself is a trichologist makes her more reliable in my eyes.

nycelle
January 31st, 2019, 05:52 AM
Don't have time this morning to watch the entire video but I agree about "not stretching washes." I found it doesn't work for me.

But, I can only base it on my own scalp. Many here don't seem to have any issues with stretching.

Katsura
January 31st, 2019, 06:13 AM
Yes I find it troublesome to stretch washes, and yes avocado oil is the best I've found too. I love her hair.:heartbeat

lapushka
January 31st, 2019, 06:53 AM
Those seem like very down to earth tips. :)

I also wait until 50/60% dry before I diffuse (using a towel, and then the air).

nycelle
January 31st, 2019, 07:26 AM
Only going to address the sulfate issue. The truth is their are milder ingredients that can clean your scalp just as well as the harsher sulfates.
It's also about friction, and massaging your scalp well enough while washing absolutely cleans it just as well.

My scalp health has improved dramatically by giving up sls. No more itching, flaking, redness, or any kind of irritation for over a year.
But, I also now wash twice and use a massage brush to make sure everything is squeaky clean.

I don't believe using a small bit if shampoo and barely massaging your scalp is gonna work.

ETA: of course if you have a condition that requires sulfates, use them. I'm not promoting use or don't use.
My post is more about washing properly than anything else.

Khristopher
January 31st, 2019, 11:40 AM
(snip)
I don't believe using a small bit if shampoo and barely massaging your scalp is gonna work.
snip)

Well.... that's exactly what I do and works for me :shrug: If I massage I have too much hair fall. Diluting the shampoo enough makes it reach everywhere and I don't even have to touch it. Same on stretching washes, the more I stretch the nicer my hair is. I guess everyone's different.
Oh, and on the OP subject... her hair is absolutely great. She seems to have found a routine that is good for her, and it shows.

nycelle
January 31st, 2019, 11:52 AM
Well.... that's exactly what I do and works for me :shrug: If I massage I have too much hair fall. Diluting the shampoo enough makes it reach everywhere and I don't even have to touch it. Same on stretching washes, the more I stretch the nicer my hair is. I guess everyone's different.
Oh, and on the OP subject... her hair is absolutely great. She seems to have found a routine that is good for her, and it shows.

I think much like with everything, what we (as in people) consider clean, or clean enough, differs.
I guess someone who uses sulfates probably doesn't think my scalp is clean enough either :shrug:

sugar&nutmeg
January 31st, 2019, 11:58 AM
So, does Ms. Sidorova's advice challenge the long-held belief / mantra at TLHC about "figuring out what works for *your* individual hair and scalp, and doing that, because everyone's different"?

Not to mention "you do you, it's all good as long as it gives the results you prefer".

littlestarface
January 31st, 2019, 12:40 PM
I remember she was mentioned in a different thread somewhere here. She is gorgeous, hair and everything :) I read some articles about her hair care tips and they seem to be the usual. No big secret, just loving care :D from some site

Anastasiya’s recommendations to girls dreaming of long hair are as follows:

Keep balance in food, and give up diets.
Avoid stress.
Use nourishing masks at least 2 times a week.
Use different oils. One of the best treatments for hair is avocado oil.
Cut off split ends.
Wash your hair in a timely manner, and learn how to dry your hair correctly (at first, hair should dry itself by 60%, and only then should you blow dry and comb).
If your hair loss exceeds the norm (about 50-100 hairs a day), you should seek advice from a professional who will help with treatment.
And minimal heat styling

Lol I love how youtubers will keep some list like its a go to sure way :rollin:

Cate36
January 31st, 2019, 01:14 PM

I think the difference with this lady, is that she walks the talk.. meaning, her hair is so amazing, from being a alopecia sufferer, to now.. and it wasn't done through trial and error, but she went into the science of scalp and hair and healed herself.. I think there are a whole host of people out there that are going to hang on her tips...

Begemot
January 31st, 2019, 01:24 PM

Like it reads in my message, they're just her recommendations for people interested in hair care. I have seen my fair share of crazy tips and tricks online but nowhere did I see this woman claiming her way is a sure way.

Cherriezzzzz
January 31st, 2019, 01:46 PM
Ha I finally found my hair twin! She even has brown eyebrows like i do! I had other red hair twins in school but they lacked the thickness... I'd love to see her hair air dried, it's got to have some wave?

I'm so fed up with my routine.... I'm onto suave to wash and condition. Nothing else. Guess that's neglect? :rolleyes:

Is it just me or does she not speak English hehe! I don't know how you guys are getting what she's advising? I can be dense at times...

Ylva
January 31st, 2019, 01:47 PM
Is it just me or does she not speak English hehe! I don't know how you guys are getting what she's advising? I can be dense at times...

Turn on the subtitles from the lower right corner of the video player.

nycelle
January 31st, 2019, 01:49 PM
Ha I finally found my hair twin! She even has brown eyebrows like i do! I had other red hair twins in school but they lacked the thickness... I'd love to see her hair air dried, it's got to have some wave?

I'm so fed up with my routine.... I'm onto suave to wash and condition. Nothing else. Guess that's neglect? :rolleyes:

I understand Russian, but the subtitles are in English..

Cherriezzzzz
January 31st, 2019, 01:56 PM
Got it, thanks guys... I'm a little bitter lol! Watching the video through I realized her hair isn't as thick as I initially thought.

Savvy... turning on subtitles :)

I wonder if anyone is able to truly "tame" hair. I really feel like mine is a lion that needs taming!

I do like the idea of going back to oily hair shampoo, but what I've learned from being on LHC from before is that my hair isn't half as oily as I thought. Thanks to Lapushka (I don't know how to link a name) for encouraging me to stretch washes. But I think my scalp would still be considered more oily then not. I had tremendous build up.

It's hard to read the subtitles and not stare at her lol! Beautiful lady, gorgeous hair! That's about the thickness I wish I had. Normal lol

blackgothicdoll
January 31st, 2019, 02:37 PM
There's a difference between "hair type" and "scalp type", she often makes a point that the main purpose of shampoo is to clean your scalp, so if your scalp is oily, you should use a shampoo for oily hair even if your hair itself is dry and damaged. That's in my opinion the unusual part of her hair care advice, here on LHC using harsh shampoos on dry hair would be considered a crime against long hair (some people still think that any shampoo is a crime against long hair...so yeah).

Dry scalp is a thing too, though. So would you use a harsh shampoo on your scalp so that you could clean your hair? Using this logic, you wouldn't, right?

Hmm makes sense! I still hear about people (non-LHCers) who wash all of their hair, from roots to tips, with shampoo and I think that's generally considered a bad idea. You can't avoid getting some shampoo on tips but I don't think it's always detrimental for hair if you mostly concentrate shampooing roots. Someone with dry hair could pre-poo and/or do CWC to help that. People just need to figure out what works for them.

I wash from root to tips. :lol: I also use a lot of product on my hair. I don't understand when I see people with my hair type on YouTube letting the 'suds run down the length of their hair', when in their video from last week they applied about 4oz of leave-in and 4oz of gel. Lol!

lapushka
January 31st, 2019, 02:40 PM
Got it, thanks guys... I'm a little bitter lol! Watching the video through I realized her hair isn't as thick as I initially thought.

Savvy... turning on subtitles :)

I wonder if anyone is able to truly "tame" hair. I really feel like mine is a lion that needs taming!

I do like the idea of going back to oily hair shampoo, but what I've learned from being on LHC from before is that my hair isn't half as oily as I thought. Thanks to Lapushka (I don't know how to link a name) for encouraging me to stretch washes. But I think my scalp would still be considered more oily then not. I had tremendous build up.

It's hard to read the subtitles and not stare at her lol! Beautiful lady, gorgeous hair! That's about the thickness I wish I had. Normal lol

Hey there. :waving:

You're welcome. Stretching washes is not for everyone, though. It happened to work for me, not at first, but after a pretty serious medical issue where I was forced to only wash once a fortnight instead of my 2/3 times a week; and that sure did a number on me and my SD (seborrheic dermatitis). But I could suddenly stretch to a week after this whole ordeal. Go figure. :shrug:

amiraaah
January 31st, 2019, 03:02 PM
I love her hair so much!! I saw some of her videos on “real repunzels”channel, but i’m not really sure is that her or not because the girl in those videos has kind of thin dark brown hair.

Cherriezzzzz
January 31st, 2019, 03:26 PM
Hey there. :waving:

You're welcome. Stretching washes is not for everyone, though. It happened to work for me, not at first, but after a pretty serious medical issue where I was forced to only wash once a fortnight instead of my 2/3 times a week; and that sure did a number on me and my SD (seborrheic dermatitis). But I could suddenly stretch to a week after this whole ordeal. Go figure. :shrug:

I got pregnant lol! That REALLY forced me into bed... I was at washing every third day to suddenly once a week. I can't maintain that now however. I think hormones played into the issue? I can go three days though where I was (imo) disgusting after one night. I truly just took your word for it without believing it'd ever work! Sometimes I just bite the bullet, and try. When I first started here my hair was just under my collar bone... Now it's past my waist, but not quite tailbone... hip length? Didn't imagine that would really ever happen either. I think LHC is best when you guys all say unanimously, "Yes even YOU can have extremely long hair!" I'm daily shocked at how long my hair is, but what's better is knowing myself more. I can grow my hair probably as long as I want... barring genetics. But thanks to my gramma who says, "I could sit on my hair in a year," I'm pretty sure I've got the long genes. Best part is I actually get to find out! That's just mind blowing to me!!!

Ligeia Noire
January 31st, 2019, 04:07 PM
Absolutely stunning!

Astrid Carlisle
February 1st, 2019, 12:49 AM
Joules, I understand what she says, but I simply expressed my opinion. There are people who co-wash here and can't use sulfates. I checked her stuff from time to time and it just wasn't in line with my beliefs and with what was posted on LHC. Take this post for example - https://www.instagram.com/p/BY2uJ63H6gp/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=54sp0se56fdz

She says "What's better for the hair - braid/ponytail or hair down? There is absolutely no difference, only if the hair tangles [she suggests to put it in a braid]". But what about mechanical damage? And what about other protective hairstyles? She does not mention those.. She basically says - in a braid or down, doesn't make a difference. I agree, according to different people on LHC, braids don't work for everyone, some prefer buns. But it doesn't mean that hair down is no different than keeping it protected. Why are we so keen on buns and protective styles at LHC then? Do you see what I mean?

Joules
February 1st, 2019, 01:32 AM
Only going to address the sulfate issue. The truth is their are milder ingredients that can clean your scalp just as well as the harsher sulfates.
It's also about friction, and massaging your scalp well enough while washing absolutely cleans it just as well.

My scalp health has improved dramatically by giving up sls. No more itching, flaking, redness, or any kind of irritation for over a year.
But, I also now wash twice and use a massage brush to make sure everything is squeaky clean.

ETA: of course if you have a condition that requires sulfates, use them. I'm not promoting use or don't use.
My post is more about washing properly than anything else.

I stopped believing in milder detergents when they stopped working for me after quite some time. I scrub and rub my scalp like there's no tomorrow, and still sulfate-free shampoos gave me "scalp damage". It was weird, because initially my hair would be clean-looking, voluminous and poofy, just like with sulfates, but my scalp would get visibly oily by the end of the first day, and then comes itching and follicle pain... Yeah, when I heard Anastasia say that not detergents are equal and many people experience such things from sulfate-free, something clicked in my head (she said a lot of her clients/patients are women who had keratin straightening done and were advised by their hairdresser to ditch sulfate shampoos). You seem to be allergic to sulfates, so I'm not gonna say anything about you specifically, I just want to warn others.

So, does Ms. Sidorova's advice challenge the long-held belief / mantra at TLHC about "figuring out what works for *your* individual hair and scalp, and doing that, because everyone's different"?

Not to mention "you do you, it's all good as long as it gives the results you prefer".

Yes, she does. Because we aren't as different as TLHC mentality suggests. We're not all unique like our fingerprints, there are only 3 hair types after all (with oily being the overwhelming majority, because hormones).

Dry scalp is a thing too, though. So would you use a harsh shampoo on your scalp so that you could clean your hair? Using this logic, you wouldn't, right?

Using this logic, of course I wouldn't. The key word here being "dry", it's quite a rare thing. 70-80% of adults of childbearing age have oily scalps, most of the others have normal scalp type. Anastasia once said that dry scalp isn't the norm, but she didn't elaborate, and I never tried looking into it, so who knows.

Joules, I understand what she says, but I simply expressed my opinion. There are people who co-wash here and can't use sulfates. I checked her stuff from time to time and it just wasn't in line with my beliefs and with what was posted on LHC. Take this post for example - https://www.instagram.com/p/BY2uJ63H6gp/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=54sp0se56fdz

She says "What's better for the hair - braid/ponytail or hair down? There is absolutely no difference, only if the hair tangles [she suggests to put it in a braid]". But what about mechanical damage? And what about other protective hairstyles? She does not mention those.. She basically says - in a braid or down, doesn't make a difference. I agree, according to different people on LHC, braids don't work for everyone, some prefer buns. But it doesn't mean that hair down is no different than keeping it protected. Why are we so keen on buns and protective styles at LHC then? Do you see what I mean?

She says that the major sourses of damage are heat styling tools, maybe compared to this wearing your hair down isn't as bad. I don't know, I wanted to write her a comment about that, but this was posted months before I even followed her :D I 100% agree that protective styling works for people who want extreme lengths, because it prevents just that little bit of damage that can make a difference in our cases. Anastasia works with average women who have short-to-medium hair, at those lengths it really doesn't matter, and she herself wears her hair down almost all the time without any visible damage.

And yes, this one aspect on which we all can unanimously agree doesn't make everything else she says false.

Begemot
February 1st, 2019, 02:48 AM
I wash from root to tips. :lol: I also use a lot of product on my hair. I don't understand when I see people with my hair type on YouTube letting the 'suds run down the length of their hair', when in their video from last week they applied about 4oz of leave-in and 4oz of gel. Lol!

:D :D Perfect example of YMMV.

Spar
February 1st, 2019, 03:40 PM
Just watched her video and wow she is amazing. I'm actually surprised about her suggesting not to stretch washes! Pretty much the whole internet (except for here) says the opposite... Now I feel better about washing daily or every other day. :D