PDA

View Full Version : Birth Control pill and Hair Thinning

Jessica.Lynne98
January 30th, 2019, 04:33 PM
Has anyone else struggled with hair loss after starting an oral contraceptive? I feel like my hair is so thin! I miss my thick hair:(

gustavonut
January 30th, 2019, 04:41 PM
I’ve been on the pill for well over a year and haven’t noticed any changes in my hair. I would ask your doctor or whoever prescribed it to you. I’m sorry I’m not much help, but I wish you luck with your problem. :flower:

AmaryllisRed
January 30th, 2019, 04:57 PM
Yeah I haven't had that issue at all but when I first went on it I had read that it could happen.
I think it's a pretty common issue. I suggest asking your Dr to switch you to a different one if possible.

lapushka
January 30th, 2019, 04:58 PM
Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm so sorry that's happening to your hair. Are you sure that is the thing to blame? How long have you been on this contraceptive, and how long has your hair been thinning for? The two may not even be linked.

Jessica.Lynne98
January 30th, 2019, 05:12 PM
Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm so sorry that's happening to your hair. Are you sure that is the thing to blame? How long have you been on this contraceptive, and how long has your hair been thinning for? The two may not even be linked.

Thank you:)

Well I think my hair thinning started around the time I first went on it! I went on the pill when I went to college and now I’m a sophomore and still on it. I have noticed my hair has thinned since high school! I’m just not really sure what else it could be

-Fern
January 30th, 2019, 05:19 PM
Theoretically, you should experience the opposite since your body thinks it's pregnant. I've been on the pill 15 years and never had an issue.

Talk to your doctor about it, though... It could be another health issue popping up because of this new medication, so please don't ignore it!

milosmomma
January 30th, 2019, 08:14 PM
I, unluckily, always experience major shedding when on all of the BC I've tried. I think it's a pretty common side effect. I have tried 2 different pills, the nuva ring and mirena and have shedding with all of them. I don't take any BC now because in addition to shedding I would get constant horrible PMS type symptoms, they exacerbate my depression and a horde of other nasty effects that outweigh the benefits of staying on them so I'm at a loss for advice. I just know it's frustrating and upsetting and I give you my sympathies.

Jessica.Lynne98
January 30th, 2019, 08:25 PM
I, unluckily, always experience major shedding when on all of the BC I've tried. I think it's a pretty common side effect. I have tried 2 different pills, the nuva ring and mirena and have shedding with all of them. I don't take any BC now because in addition to shedding I would get constant horrible PMS type symptoms, they exacerbate my depression and a horde of other nasty effects that outweigh the benefits of staying on them so I'm at a loss for advice. I just know it's frustrating and upsetting and I give you my sympathies.

Thank you thank you! It’s so nice to know someone else has this issue!

Cate36
January 30th, 2019, 08:28 PM
I've read in many places the birth control pills can cause hair loss in women very sensitive to hormone related hair loss. As others, I would come off the type you are on and talk to your doctor about it.. If nothing else has changed in your lifestyle, then chances it could very well be the cause. Maybe get the doctor to do a full blood test to check vitamin levels at the same time?

milosmomma
January 30th, 2019, 08:54 PM
I've read in many places the birth control pills can cause hair loss in women very sensitive to hormone related hair loss. As others, I would come off the type you are on and talk to your doctor about it.. If nothing else has changed in your lifestyle, then chances it could very well be the cause. Maybe get the doctor to do a full blood test to check vitamin levels at the same time?

I had moderate sheds after both of my pregnancies as well. No doubt related to the hormones. But as someone else said you would think BC would make you have a spurt similar to being pregnant instead of postpartum hair loss.

AmaryllisRed
January 30th, 2019, 09:28 PM
I always thought pregnancy hair was more due to the prenatal vitamins than the pregnancy itself.

milosmomma
January 30th, 2019, 10:00 PM
The vitamins probably help but the hormones definitely play the biggest part. They can make hair appear where you didn't have before pregnancy(moustaches anyone? LOL) and it seems that the hormones make your hair fall out less and possibly grow faster while pregnant but only for it all to come shedding out after delivery. I continued taking my vitamin months afterwards and still experience shedding.

Ylva
January 31st, 2019, 03:35 AM
I think it's normal to go through natural hormonal changes in your late teens or around there and experience (permanent) hair thinning as a result.

lapushka
January 31st, 2019, 06:56 AM
If you've noticed it for so long, it is time to visit the doctor! :flower:

It is serious enough to have a talk about it. If it is a side-effect (check your insert/leaflet) then it should most certainly not be ignored.

Can I ask what kind of contraceptive (brand) you are on?

Wravyn
January 31st, 2019, 03:52 PM
Thank you:)

Well I think my hair thinning started around the time I first went on it! I went on the pill when I went to college and now I’m a sophomore and still on it. I have noticed my hair has thinned since high school! I’m just not really sure what else it could be

Stress can cause hair loss... It sounds like you also started college around the same time, are you sure it's not just the stress of your new environment? Or any other medications you might be taking, changes to your diet, etc.?

I would definitely talk to your doctor, though. Hope you figure it out :blossom: