PDA

View Full Version : Help! What the H*ll happened!!!??? Cones?

Makyle
January 29th, 2019, 12:09 PM
I ONLY wash my hair every 7 days as a rule to avoid damage from poo's, mechanical damage, hygral fatigue etc etc..TODAY I WASHED THREE TIMES WITHIN AN HOUR because something went SO wrong.

Recently over the past few months, I have been using Cantu sulfate and cone free poo and condish (I CWC) my hair has been feeling great. before this, I would use normal sulfate and cone poos and Condish's whatever was on sale..with what I thought was no problem (PRE-LHC)

Today I thought I would try something new and add a bit more protection to my hair by using a cone poo and condish (OGX caffeine and niacin - I had used it before a year or more ago :horse:), I read a lot of good claims about this set and thought to try it again, I did my usual CWC and my hair felt stripped and fragile while washing even though they say there are no sulfates in the poo, normally I gently damp detangle my hair with a tangle teezer after my shower with no problems this time though it was so difficult, as my hair began to dry the ends (previously bleached & heat damage - which were babied and amazing with Cantu) were so dry and crunchy that they looked the same as when my hair was platinum blonde after a chemical cut! :steam:

I raced to the shower and washed twice with Cantu set and it feels so much better - I don't know if I got it all out but that was helluva scary - especially after working so hard and my hair Improving so drastically.....

SOMEONE, PLEASE TELL ME WHY THIS HAPPENED - I thought silicones were good for bleached damaged hair???? Has anyone else experienced anything like this trying a new product? :wail:

Note: I do use a silicone leave in once in awhile from elvive extraordinary oil range, and it works beautifully.

-Fern
January 29th, 2019, 12:18 PM
I don't think cones would create that effect so quickly. My first thought was actually that there might be excess protein in the OGX stuff, or that something in the ingredients reacted with something that was coating your hair from the Cantu.

Makyle
January 29th, 2019, 12:21 PM
I don't think cones would create that effect so quickly. My first thought was actually that there might be excess protein in the OGX stuff, or that something in the ingredients reacted with something that was coating your hair from the Cantu.

That was my thought - as afterwards I searched LHC and found an archive where someone mentions their conditioner is protein loaded...does this mean money wasted and time to toss the OGX? :wail:

-Fern
January 29th, 2019, 12:24 PM
You could try balancing it with moisture... Do you have any aloe gel?

Makyle
January 29th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Not right now... but I can get... how would I use it with the OGX?

Ylva
January 29th, 2019, 12:32 PM
I think OGX shampoos are quite harsh despite not containing the obvious stronger sulfates.

ETA: Please don't toss it if possible! Give it to a friend or something. :)

Makyle
January 29th, 2019, 12:39 PM
I think OGX shampoos are quite harsh despite not containing the obvious stronger sulfates.

ETA: Please don't toss it if possible! Give it to a friend or something. :)

Fully agreed on it being harsh, my hair felt like I had washed it with dishwashing liquid and I had breakage when detangling that never happened before.

When I say toss, I mean let go of it...I have a big family so everything gets used by someone.

Alibran
January 29th, 2019, 12:46 PM
Harshness of shampoo isn't as simple as sulphates or not. It depends on the specific combination of ingredients in the product, and their ratios.

Too much protein can definitely cause hair to feel stiff and crunchy. As far as I'm aware, most Cantu products contain protein, so if your hair was already getting plenty of protein from the Cantu, the extra may have just pushed it over the edge into protein overload.

Ylva
January 29th, 2019, 12:50 PM
Harshness of shampoo isn't as simple as sulphates or not. It depends on the specific combination of ingredients in the product, and their ratios.

Too much protein can definitely cause hair to feel stiff and crunchy. As far as I'm aware, most Cantu products contain protein, so if your hair was already getting plenty of protein from the Cantu, the extra may have just pushed it over the edge into protein overload.

Yeah definitely, that was what I was after but didn't go into so much detail. And I find that my hair experiences less damage from manipulation using sulfate shampoos than sulfate free. The sulfate free ones just take longer to work into my scalp and they aren't so slippery or easily spreadable, at least those that I've used (my shampoos are always cone free, so it's not about that).

JennGalt
January 29th, 2019, 01:01 PM

Perhaps I am looking at different products, but I don’t see any protein in the sulfate free Cantu shampoo and conditioner my search turned up. Nor does my Cantu leave in have protein in it, for that matter.

I have no idea what the OGX has in it, but if protein is the problem it isn’t coming from the Cantu stuff.

Makyle
January 29th, 2019, 01:03 PM
So I think this is a case of YMMV, and I will stick to the Cantu it very much agrees with my hair and I'm a fan!

I use the Cantu poo, condish and DT.

No more "experimenting" for me for A LONG WHILE!

Could my hair be protein sensitive?...hmmmm *wonders about previous hair treatments and crunchies*

lapushka
January 29th, 2019, 01:23 PM
I ONLY wash my hair every 7 days as a rule to avoid damage from poo's, mechanical damage, hygral fatigue etc etc..TODAY I WASHED THREE TIMES WITHIN AN HOUR because something went SO wrong.

Recently over the past few months, I have been using Cantu sulfate and cone free poo and condish (I CWC) my hair has been feeling great. before this, I would use normal sulfate and cone poos and Condish's whatever was on sale..with what I thought was no problem (PRE-LHC)

Today I thought I would try something new and add a bit more protection to my hair by using a cone poo and condish (OGX caffeine and niacin - I had used it before a year or more ago :horse:), I read a lot of good claims about this set and thought to try it again, I did my usual CWC and my hair felt stripped and fragile while washing even though they say there are no sulfates in the poo, normally I gently damp detangle my hair with a tangle teezer after my shower with no problems this time though it was so difficult, as my hair began to dry the ends (previously bleached & heat damage - which were babied and amazing with Cantu) were so dry and crunchy that they looked the same as when my hair was platinum blonde after a chemical cut! :steam:

I raced to the shower and washed twice with Cantu set and it feels so much better - I don't know if I got it all out but that was helluva scary - especially after working so hard and my hair Improving so drastically.....

SOMEONE, PLEASE TELL ME WHY THIS HAPPENED - I thought silicones were good for bleached damaged hair???? Has anyone else experienced anything like this trying a new product? :wail:

Note: I do use a silicone leave in once in awhile from elvive extraordinary oil range, and it works beautifully.

What stands out to me is that you have been washing with a sulfate-free shampoo for a while now where you used to wash with sulfates and had no issue.

Have you clarify-washed recently?

JennGalt
January 29th, 2019, 01:25 PM
It’s possible, but again, I don’t see any protein in the OGX products you used according to the ingredient lists on Target’s website. I do, however, see some potentially drying ingredients like alcohol (toward the bottom of the list on both, but not the good kind), caffeine (some say this is very drying; YMMV), and I’ve read that sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate can be drying in higher concentrations. It’s second on the ingredient list in the shampoo. Or maybe I’m completely wrong and it’s something else :shrug:

Makyle
January 29th, 2019, 01:26 PM
I am struggling to find a clarifying shampoo any recommendations would be great.

I live in Cape Town, South Africa.

Makyle
January 29th, 2019, 01:28 PM
Thank you for the research, I'm no scientist but I will trust a fellow LHC-er on this and watch out for those.

gustavonut
January 29th, 2019, 01:30 PM
It’s honestly probably the OGX because every time I used their shampoo, my hair felt limp, stringy, and unclean. That’s why I stick to sulfates because I haven’t had a problem with them.

gustavonut
January 29th, 2019, 01:31 PM
I am struggling to find a clarifying shampoo any recommendations would be great.

I live in Cape Town, South Africa.

Any shampoo with disodium edta should work honestly. Or a very strong clear sulfate shampoo works too.

milosmomma
January 29th, 2019, 01:38 PM
So I think this is a case of YMMV, and I will stick to the Cantu it very much agrees with my hair and I'm a fan!

I use the Cantu poo, condish and DT.

No more "experimenting" for me for A LONG WHILE!

Could my hair be protein sensitive?...hmmmm *wonders about previous hair treatments and crunchies*

I'm glad you were able to recover relatively quickly from this scary experience! I used to have bleach damage and yes, experimenting can be really detrimental especially because you seem to have found a routine that works great already! It brings to mind "it's not broken why fix it?", I am really glad your hair went back to normal so quickly though, I know it can be scary when you put so much care and effort into your hair for something to threaten all you hard work.

JennGalt
January 29th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Happy to help with research :) my own hair is quite picky with ingredients, so I’m starting to get a little nerdy with ingredient lists :grin:

Also: disodium EDTA is a chelating ingredient often added to increase the efficacy of other preservative ingredients. If found higher on the ingredient list, it is probably intended as a chelator and not just a preservative. Although chelating is necessary and important for many of us, it doesn’t remove cones and shouldn’t be considered a clarifying ingredient.

gustavonut
January 29th, 2019, 03:23 PM
Happy to help with research :) my own hair is quite picky with ingredients, so I’m starting to get a little nerdy with ingredient lists :grin:

Also: disodium EDTA is a chelating ingredient often added to increase the efficacy of other preservative ingredients. If found higher on the ingredient list, it is probably intended as a chelator and not just a preservative. Although chelating is necessary and important for many of us, it doesn’t remove cones and shouldn’t be considered a clarifying ingredient.
Thank you for clearing that up!

Julescarm
January 29th, 2019, 03:23 PM
I tried ogx products as well and got the same crunchy ends afterwards. I tried a argan oil extra moisturizing mask after shampooing with a different shampoo and it helped a ton.

Sparkles122
January 29th, 2019, 03:26 PM
My hair did not like ogx products either

spitfire511
January 29th, 2019, 03:36 PM
Well so we do know that my protein-needing hair seems to love OGX - so very well could make it difficult? For clarifying, I personally just use inexpensive sulfate shampoo (like Prell, suave, herbal essences) So glad that at least a couple of washes with your norm settled it out for the most part!!

lithostoic
January 29th, 2019, 05:11 PM
OGX wrecked my hair too. Including shedding!! Hope it recovers soon <3

JennGalt
January 29th, 2019, 06:11 PM
Well so we do know that my protein-needing hair seems to love OGX - so very well could make it difficult? For clarifying, I personally just use inexpensive sulfate shampoo (like Prell, suave, herbal essences) So glad that at least a couple of washes with your norm settled it out for the most part!!

Some OGX products DO contain protein. I don’t know which ones off the top of my head as I don’t like the brand myself. Have you tried the line OP used? I’m guessing there’s something in there that acts like a protein. Or: does anyone know if quats can make hair crunchy? Gonna look again ‘cause I’m curious now.

ETA: Looking again, the Cantu products have one of the same quats the OGX does, but the OGX products also have another one. I did notice a strengthening ingredient in the OGX that I didn’t see in the Cantu, but I don’t think it acts like a protein. Who knows :shrug:

ravenheather
January 29th, 2019, 06:35 PM
Fyi I find olefin sulfonate (often found in sulfate free shampoos) to be more harsh than sulfates. I will personally never use them on my hair. I do use them to wash makeup brushes, hair brushes, and lingerie.

AutobotsAttack
January 29th, 2019, 08:44 PM
Perhaps I am looking at different products, but I don’t see any protein in the sulfate free Cantu shampoo and conditioner my search turned up. Nor does my Cantu leave in have protein in it, for that matter.

I have no idea what the OGX has in it, but if protein is the problem it isn’t coming from the Cantu stuff.

It has hydrolyzed Collagen in it. So yes the leave-in does have protein.

JennGalt
January 30th, 2019, 01:30 AM
Partially right. I checked the label after I saw your post. I bought mine months ago and had forgotten it had silk protein toward the bottom of the ingredient list. But no collagen at all. Perhaps you meant a different leave in they make? I have their shea butter leave in conditioning creme for natural hair.

I did, however, look up the ingredients for the other products discussed right before I made my posts, so those will be accurate as long as the ingredient lists I found are accurate and up to date.

Servana
January 30th, 2019, 02:09 AM
Just chiming in to say my hair hates OGX too. It also hates protein 🙂

Makyle
January 30th, 2019, 03:33 AM
Thank you ALL for the research, tips , kindness and more :flower: ... just an update my hair has not yet recovered fully but I'm hoping it will clear up after my next wash. I am going to pamper it my usual way.

My hair is currently soft but looks frizzy and unkempt which it hasn't looked like this in ages... it took ages to dry which was unusual too and reminded me of the beginning of my LHC journey last year Oct.

I spent last night googling and the protein doesn't seem to be the problem from what happened I'm guessing the OGX was just to harsh due to the olefin sulfonate - thanks ladies for clueing me in on this ingredient, I checked a product I used last year that also had a sh*tty affect on my hair and low and behold 3rd on the list olefin sulfonate!

I will be claryfing next wash and then my normal CWC and hope it's returns my hair to happiness.

NO MORE OGX POOS OR CONDISH FOR ME! :wail:

Alibran
January 30th, 2019, 06:23 AM
I’ve read that sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate can be drying in higher concentrations.

It's considered a harsh cleanser to be avoided by those following the 'low poo' variation of Curly Girl, regardless of concentration. It's one of the few that removes silicones.

Alibran
January 30th, 2019, 06:28 AM
It has hydrolyzed Collagen in it. So yes the leave-in does have protein.

Partially right. I checked the label after I saw your post. I bought mine months ago and had forgotten it had silk protein toward the bottom of the ingredient list. But no collagen at all. Perhaps you meant a different leave in they make?

They make a lot of different products with a variety of ingredients. The ones I found by googling 'cantu sulphate free shampoo and conditioner' had different ingredients from the ones other people mentioned. Since the OP didn't give a list of the ingredients in the products she used, we're all guessing.