PDA

View Full Version : Bun for medium length?

mel88lem
January 27th, 2019, 08:07 PM
My hair is growing out. It is getting close to BSL but not there yet. It is a few inches past my shoulders with minimal layers. For many months now, I have been able just to loop it and call it up (I cannot stand wearing it down). It is too long for that now and either the loose ends hang down on my neck or the loop bounces (I need a secure ‘do). Any buns out there for this length? I cannot manage a rose bun yet, and a cinnamon bun (never my favorite) just ends up as one twisty loop bulging out oddly. I know there has got to be something out there for me or a different way to do what I’ve tried and failed at. Simple is best as i don’t like spending much time getting ready. I am equipped with hair ties and straight hairpins (that are too long for this shorter hair) and bobby pins. Thanks for helping me and/or opening my eyes to some styles I maybe haven’t heard of yet.

Spikey
January 27th, 2019, 08:29 PM
My hair is almost exactly your length, so what works for me will hopefully work for you:

-Disc bun is excellent, and can be done at even shorter lengths
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5sSEBy7HQ

-Nessa bun is ridculously easy

-Nautilus is my everyday go-to all time favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-BQ5OMV2Y

As you can see, all of these require hairsticks, but a smooth chopstick will work just fine. I find that at this length, bobby pins just don't cut it anymore. You might be able to do some by holding the center with your straight pins.

If you really aren't interested in a hairstick, I can sometimes do a braided bun at this length with pins? I hope you find something.

akurah
January 27th, 2019, 10:13 PM
Have you tried a French twist yet? They're easier than they sound when your hair is short enough, and were my go to from about APL till "too long to do it" (which I think was at or just past waist) . I secured them with a ficcare, which was less hassle than a billion bobby pins or other clips

Ophidian
January 27th, 2019, 10:29 PM
Another vote for the disc bun! Another favorite from around APL-BSL was a braid folded up and secured with a ficcare.

PixieNixie
January 27th, 2019, 11:58 PM
Lazy bun and pretzel bun are the ones I can do with almost BSL. Look up BSL length buns on you tube. There are about 2 people on their that have videos for that specific length.

Aerya
January 28th, 2019, 03:28 AM
Disc bun is the only bun I can do securely at APL.

Joules
January 28th, 2019, 03:38 AM
I'm still in favor of the cinnamon bun, you just need to get the hang of it. I have God knows how many years of experience, and still can't get it right sometimes :D it's the only bun for me that, will not hurt my scalp no matter how long I wear it if it's done correctly with spin pins.

pailin
January 28th, 2019, 06:44 AM
Honestly, it depends a lot on how thick your hair is. If it's pretty thick, it will take longer. And if your hair tends to be a slip monster, it'll also take more length.
I mostly did the peacock twist (think that's what it's called) with a big claw clip until close to waist, and my early buns were basically a cinnablob- just twist it around and jam pins or a stick into it until it stayed. I couldn't do a lazy wrap and have it last more than 5 minutes until about waist.

Eta- sectioned buns will always work sooner, so a disc bun was one of the early ones I could do. But I always found kinked ends after a disc bin so I only did it a few times.

Also try two buns. Or a sock bun with a bun form or a sock.

lapushka
January 28th, 2019, 08:39 AM
I would try a LWB (lazy wrap bun). It is a center-held bun so you need less hair as well.

Eishe
January 28th, 2019, 09:46 AM
I'm somewhere between APL and BSL and I can only do Nautilus and Disc Bun without it falling out quite fast. I have average or a bit below average thickness straight hair and don't seem to have enough length for Lazy Wrap Bun. If you don't have hairsticks, smooth pencils work in a pinch.

lithostoic
January 28th, 2019, 03:44 PM
Disc bun and nautilus were still too tight at that length (for me). Try a lwb using only 2 fingers instead of your whole hand. This can be secured with pins.