PDA

View Full Version : Help! My hairline is fading!

Knightly
January 25th, 2019, 10:43 AM
I don't know what's happening... All the hair around my face is just disappearing! Even my Widow's Peak is fading away :'( and the hair on my temples is so little it almost looks bald making the shape of my forehead/hairline change from an M/W shape to a rectangular one...

I need help! How can I stop it before it's too late? What advices you have? Could it be some sort of traction alopecia?

milosmomma
January 25th, 2019, 10:55 AM
What's your routine like? do you do alot of tight braiding or tight pony tails? Thats some usually causes of traction alopecia. How old are you? Are you male or female?

Knightly
January 25th, 2019, 11:55 AM
I'm a 18yo female
I try to be as gentle as possible with my hair, I use a satin head cap to sleep, carefuly detangle, wash daily (i need to), use conditioner to avoid knots, etc, but for the past 6-8 moths I've been putting it in a simple messy bun with a stick.
I'm quite suspicious about the bun thing tho, before I started putting it up, it was always down so i guess it's not "used" to be held up yet

cjk
January 25th, 2019, 11:57 AM
My first two thoughts were traction alopecia and male pattern baldness.

Same as above.

The braiding and ponytail questions have already been asked, and hairline recession can be hormonal. We guys get it a lot, but so do some women.

So I'll ask something different. How abruptly did this hair loss occur and was there any change you think might be causal?

If so, explore that. If not, hair loss can be a sign of a health problem, so if it doesn't stop you should see a doctor.

milosmomma
January 25th, 2019, 12:04 PM
If you think it's the bun pulling your hairline out maybe you could try braiding your front "bangs" section, then bunning and wrapping the front part looser around your bun? Do you put conditioner on your scalp? I can't and only condition from ears downward because it makes me shed more(but everywhere not a localised area like hairline). Oiling is the same, I can't oil my scalp or I get abnormal hair fall. I am leaning towards bunning too, you can always play arond with it and try to leave the front looser or try the accent braid to get less pulling around the hairline.

ETA Braid loosely of course because we know tight braids can cause alopecia!
ETA #2 Alot of people have success growing back babyhairs/edges/hairline hairs with castor oil, maybe after you get the styling figured out you could think about a protective oil for JUST the hairline hairs(to avoid more hairfall) as they grow back in. My aunt even grew back her eyelashes with castor oil LOL

MusicalSpoons
January 25th, 2019, 12:31 PM
I doubt a bun would be causing it unless it's uncomfortably tight in the same place every day, like a ballerina bun (I say ballerina specifically because just watching videos of 'how to do a ballerina bun' are eye-watering).

The good basic questions have already been asked ... OHHH you use a satin sleep cap. How tight is it? Mine was elasticated and wore away at my hairline, which I didn't realise until I felt tiny stubbly hairs all along it. I tried wearing it lower on the forehead, off my hairline, which helped my hair but I didn't want wrinkles in my skin before I'd naturally get them!

It might not be the sleep cap, so also consider diet and your general health, whether anything is obviously lacking or any symptoms that might indicate a deficiency.

lapushka
January 25th, 2019, 01:09 PM
If you are 18 hormones might still play a part. You never know.

If at all possible I'd get a blood test done to see if you are OK (deficiencies and all).

Do you have a picture? Maybe we can see if it's really that bad. Often we view things worse than they are.

milosmomma
January 25th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Yes I agree a sleep cap with elastic on the inside is no good for me as well.

MusicalSpoons
January 25th, 2019, 02:32 PM
^ Just to clarify, my elastic was enclosed in satin but it still caused problems :)

PixieNixie
January 25th, 2019, 04:45 PM
I would buy a satin pillowcase and ditch the cap. They can cause breakage and thinning of the hairline by rubbing against it all night. I would also switch up your hair styling. Try loose low buns and braids. Maybe even keeping the front section out and pinning it separately so you can keep tension off of it. I would buy some castor oil and start oiling my edges as well to help them grow back.

Knightly
January 25th, 2019, 10:47 PM
Thanks everyone!
I'm definitely gonna try out braiding the top section of my hair, I never thought about it!
I'm also gonna visit the endocrinologist asap, I've had hormone problems in the past so I must check out what's wrong this time and if they are messing up with my hair, ugh!
I've been eating way better than I used to before so that's why I found it strange for my hair to fall out .
And maybe I'm gonna try a satin pillow case or a sating headscarf instead of the cap, the elastic part kinda bothers me so it can be part of the problem too...

Anyways, thanks everyone for your kind tips! I'll keep all of them in mind! ❤

lapushka
January 26th, 2019, 02:51 PM
I'm glad you're going for a health check on top of all the "regular" things you can do. Good luck with that! :thumbsup: