PDA

View Full Version : Beach living and help with Fiddly fingers

Makyle
January 24th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Our family will be moving to a small seaside town (and I mean SMALL) in about 6 weeks, currently, we live in one of the main cities (Cape Town). So I am excited about a smaller, calmer, less populated and less polluted lifestyle especially for the kids... but I need hair help.

1. I have researched threads going back over a decade and I know what to do about actual days at the beach - oiling, rinsing, coverage etc... BUT am I going a little crazy obsessive or would the fact that we live a 2minute walk from the beach mean the salty air could mean extra hair care (I'm trying to reach Classic from APL/BSL). Does anyone have advice for actual Beach living and salty air?

2. Also I recently bought a satin scarf to sleep in and it's AMAZING, my hair is softer, shinier and no more dry ends but I have two questions, one : I twist my hair very gently into a low bun, unsecured to get it into the scarf - the scarf holds everything securely - my question is, Is this damaging, is my hair being squashed? the scarf is comfortable and not tight on my hairline as I wear it low on my forehead and over my ears. the second question - I love my scarf so much, I wanted to know would it be terrible if I wore it during the day as well as a protective style like this? basically wearing it like this 80% of the time as I tend to fiddle with my hair ALOT (Brushing, oiling, playing), so would this help. I'm a stay at home mommy, at home most of the time so it wouldn't be a fashion challenge :lol:

Any advice or suggestions would be awesome as I am Up-Do challenged :brickwall:

littlestarface
January 24th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Wow you are so lucky, i'd give anything to live in a place like that. My hair loves salty sea and air and mmm that smell tho, better than any perfume company can make. Sorry I have no advice lol.

Makyle
January 24th, 2019, 01:06 PM
Wow you are so lucky, i'd give anything to live in a place like that. My hair loves salty sea and air and mmm that smell tho, better than any perfume company can make. Sorry I have no advice lol.

I am very excited for the move, and it's ALOT cheaper than living in the main cities - one of the reasons for the move actually :) - Here's to hoping my hair also loves the salty sea air :pray:

littlestarface
January 24th, 2019, 01:10 PM
I am very excited for the move, and it's ALOT cheaper than living in the main cities - one of the reasons for the move actually :) - Here's to hoping my hair also loves the salty sea air :pray:

Haha hopefully, I would just do alot of moisture treatments if it was me. I wonder if your hair will curl up more, it would be interesting to see.

Makyle
January 24th, 2019, 01:19 PM
Haha hopefully, I would just do alot of moisture treatments if it was me. I wonder if your hair will curl up more, it would be interesting to see.

I use to holiday there abit about 6 years ago and didn't notice any extra curl - but that was in the days when I was "hair unaware", but I will have to see, if there is any extra curl i would have real mermaid hair when I get to Classic :) and completely agree on the extra moisture treatments.

milosmomma
January 24th, 2019, 01:31 PM
I wear a silk scarf during the day and have had no ill effects(besides flat head/hat hair lol) I dont see why it would be a problem, in fact it would block the suns drying rays and protect from wind/salt. I think maybe you should get more scarves if you want to wear them during the day! I only have 2 but it could be fun to match with your wardrobe. I think the way you described securing your hair underneath is perfectly fine and I use mine a similar way only sometimes i will secure with amish pins underneath in case the scarf slips off my hair isnt going to escape everywhere. The amish pins are completely covered by hair so no risk of snagging the scarf.
I think you are on the right track with the oiling and such if you are actually planning a beach trip but for everyday use I think a scarf is great.

Makyle
January 24th, 2019, 01:38 PM
I wear a silk scarf during the day and have had no ill effects(besides flat head/hat hair lol) I dont see why it would be a problem, in fact it would block the suns drying rays and protect from wind/salt. I think maybe you should get more scarves if you want to wear them during the day! I only have 2 but it could be fun to match with your wardrobe. I think the way you described securing your hair underneath is perfectly fine and I use mine a similar way only sometimes i will secure with amish pins underneath in case the scarf slips off my hair isnt going to escape everywhere. The amish pins are completely covered by hair so no risk of snagging the scarf.
I think you are on the right track with the oiling and such if you are actually planning a beach trip but for everyday use I think a scarf is great.

Thank you milosmomma! my mother actually gave me about 6 scarfs today - 2 of which are satin and silk the other are a soft stretchy material - do you think those would be ok for day wear aswell?

milosmomma
January 24th, 2019, 02:23 PM
I would just try them out. Some materials seem to strip moisture away rather than keep it in. I have a thin cotton-ish scarf(no idea what material is but it has a little stretch to it and is see through) that does this, my hair just doesn't like that material. Even if they dont agree with your your hair another option would be put a silk/satin one first and the other material on top if you are trying to match or for a fashion statement :)