PDA

View Full Version : swim hair routine

frodolaughs
January 23rd, 2019, 08:57 AM
I've recently started swimming twice a week and it's doing a completely predictable number on my hair. Does anyone have a low maintenance before/during/ after swim routine to share? Emphasis on low maintenance because I won't mess around with anything complicated or time consuming. I don't have the patience and neither does my 1-year-old. Plus, we swim at a public pool with a big communal shower area. I have fingertip+ length straight, fine hair. I usually shampoo and condition every 2 weeks with a basic unscented shampoo and conditioner, so this is a big change. It's quickly gotten limp and dry.

harpgal
January 23rd, 2019, 09:02 AM
I wear a swim cap for long hair made by Speedo. The only hair that gets wet is usually around the hairline. Unfortunately, you don't look like a mermaid but it does protect your hair.

gingerninja
January 23rd, 2019, 09:48 AM
If you don't want to wear a swim cap (which is one of the best options) you can quickly coat your length in coconut oil and put your hair in a high bun. Or just before getting in the pool you can soak your hair in the shower water which is generally chlorine free so your hair is unable to absorb any of the pool water. And then wash normally afterwards

gustavonut
January 23rd, 2019, 10:10 AM
I don’t wear a swimming cap, I’ve never liked wearing them. What I do is use about a palmful or less of an oil of some sort (usually coconut) on my hair and scalp. After I swim I like to use a clarifying shampoo and then a nice deep conditioner.
That’s basically it. My hair has always been in good condition after swimming. I have no problems with it but some people get more breakage. It all depends on your hair.

mica
January 23rd, 2019, 11:31 AM
Another vote for the swim cap here. I would probably put my hair in a braided bun to reduce friction against the cap, and therefore prevent matting.
Just a thought, aren't swim caps required in public pools anyway? At least where I live, they are for anyone with long hair :confused:

frodolaughs
January 23rd, 2019, 12:50 PM
Nope, swim caps aren't required here. A few people wear them, but most don't. I'm willing to try but concerned about not being able to hear, since my hearing is already poor and I'm with a toddler and in classes, so it's not like I can just zone out while doing my own thing.

ursaV
January 23rd, 2019, 04:00 PM
Hi! I'm a swim instructor on the weekends, so before every shift I wet my hair through and throw some cone-y conditioner in it. I don't even rinse it out, just towel it off a bit and twist my hair into a compact top knot/bun-thing with the ends tucked in and go to work. When I'm done I clarify with sulfate shampoo to remove the heavy conditioner. Then the rest of the week I usually don't wash at all.

spidermom
January 23rd, 2019, 05:58 PM
The best protection I've found for my hair against pool chemicals is CHI Silk Infusion, but imagine any coney serum would work. Apply liberally and braid snugly. Oils and conditioner didn't help much.

Alila
January 24th, 2019, 03:56 AM
I swim once a week.
I braid my hair fairly tightly so it won't loosen up in the water. (My scalp doesnt like buns all that much plus I've never been able to put my hair up using just elastics so I wear my braid in the pool.)
Then I soak my hair in the shower. I find this to be super important.

After I'm done swimming I go into the shower and with the water running down my braid I carefully unravel the elastic from my braid. And I carefully undo by braid one stitch at a time.
Then I wash my roots with regualar shampoo and I condition my hair. I like to use a hair mask for this.
I've tried doing CO but my roots weren't having that. So for me shampoo is a must after a swim.

It's a very simple routine but my hair is ok with it.
Of course it depends on you and your hair though. If you find you need something more fancy go for it.
I dont think I'd go for an even simpeler routine though. This is honestly the bare minimum already.

Rosy blossom
January 24th, 2019, 08:11 AM
When I went on a holiday last year, I used to put hair Condtioner in my hair before I stepped in the pool or even the beach. My hair didn't take any damage from chlorine or salt water. It's worth a try.