PDA

View Full Version : Question for super longies and super longie wannabees

Robbi Dehlinger
November 5th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Hi!

So many people here have or want knee length or longer length (Me included)

I wonder why?

I can only answer for myself. I wnat it because I will feel super femme and special.

How about you?

Guys can weigh in too, BTW:)

CurlyMoo
November 5th, 2008, 12:25 AM
My hair is APL and I am growing it as long as it can go but I will start with Classic Length. I think long hair is so feminine.

vampodrama
November 5th, 2008, 12:41 AM
my goal is terminal length (because I have a nagging suspicion that it might come even before I reach knee).

why do I want it.... I don't even know. I like to stand out from the crowds and I want people to look at me and go "oh man her hair is insane!" :D

NightDaemon
November 5th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Well, here's a vote against it being feminine >.> I just want it as a way to stand out as an individual, but not like all the other 'individualists' who all do the same thing. Very individual... Guys don't get long hair and when they do, they only get ponytails. BORING. I'm gonna be exploring the world of updos and then dancing for joy.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 5th, 2008, 03:19 AM
That's why I wnated some guys to weigh in:)

Updos? Very kewl!!!

Comfrey
November 5th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Hi :)

I want to go to terminal length, just to see where it is.

But my ideal would be at the bottom of my bum. But the older I get and as everything moves south, that could easily be knee length hehehehe

Robbi Dehlinger
November 5th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Maybe we can start and over 50 "Knee Length and Beyong " group? LOLOLOL

bte
November 5th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I have reached terminal well before super long, but when younger, my intention was always to go for super long/terminal as soon as I was free of parental restrictions because it felt right for me and I have always admired and envied sauper lengths.

eresh
November 5th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Hmmm a few reasons.
* It does make me feel very feminine :-)
* It makes me feel graceful and I like the feel of it flowing when I dance.
* In some way it makes me feel connected with history and I can daydream about being in a different timeperiod.
(this might be silly but sometimes I feel it might make up a little for all those women (family and not) who were forced to have their locks shaved off in the camps, in honour of their beauty)
* I like the many variations I can use (updo's or halfups or down)
(though I usually use the same bun on weekdays at work, quick and comfy)
* It gives me a place to hide behind when I feel shy (or depressed).
* It can divert the attention from me to my hair ;)
* I like how it looks
* It is in a way character building, the patience, the taking care of, all that.
* I guess I also like to be different (and stubborn) :o

Robbi Dehlinger
November 5th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Kewl!

Thanks for adding me to your friend list and keep growing!!!

GlassEyes
November 5th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Because when I'm actually at knee, I'll probably be at classic with my curly hair. :shrug: Nothing I can do about it.

The only upside is that I can have knee length-ish braids without having hair that looks knee lenght, though i wouldn't mind that either. That means I hcan have an uber long braid. Muahahahahah!:eyebrows:

rockkcor
November 5th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Terminal length is my goal...

Perhaps because 'you do or you don't'?
Or 'you have to be the best in what you do'?
Besides I am attracted to the ladies with long hair… Perhaps it goes both ways?

It is a challenge – I love long hair so why not do the best I can?

:)

Unzadi
November 5th, 2008, 05:19 AM
My goal is terminal, for a couple of reasons. First, I'd like to see where terminal is. Being adopted, I can't point to any relatives and say "Grandma, mom and aunt soandso have hair down to there, so I can, too." Hmm, well, I have met a very likely birth sister (no DNA test yet) who is also a longhair, so we'll amend that to one. (Too much evidence points that we are even w/o the test.) Second, having hair as long as it will grow feels right for me. A natural symbol of my true nature as a fairytale mermaid romance novel heroine princess.

Siava
November 5th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I also feel more feminine with long hair. Styling it can be fun as well as challenging (I like a good challenge). Seeing how my hair reacts to different techniques and products is fascinating (in a biological sort of way). Best of all, I can get it up and out of my way in 2 seconds flat without it looking bad. I find long hair to be much easier to care for.

BlndeInDisguise
November 5th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I have long hair for religious reasons, therefore I don't cut it, therefore it's at knee length. ;) But I love how feminine it makes me feel, and I just think super long hair is lovely.

Sherri
November 5th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I to am growing my hair out for religious reasons and I have reliezed it does make you feel super feminine. Also i love the endless option of style possiblities, but sometime that can even be frustating.

EdG
November 5th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I grow super long hair for the same reason that people aspire to achieve anything great: it's a challenge.

I was also curious to find out my terminal length. I now know the answer.:cheese:
Ed

taliarose
November 5th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I plan on growing it until it feels right. Besides I like being difficult and it's a point of contention in my family. Mother and sister both want me to cut it. Funny thing is my mother used to be a long hair. It was waist/tailbone now it's just past shoulder. She at least should understand. :shrug:

Oh well I'm :gobblecheese:till I :crazyq:. He he he he he

JessTheMess
November 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I am growing my hair as long as it will grow. My goal is Classic, but if it goes beyond that I'd be thrilled.
I'm growing it because

I like the way it feels on my skin.
I like to play with different updos.
I think I look better with longer hair
I can hide behind it (as eresh mentioned before)
I don't really have any other reasons. I just think long hair looks great on everybody...man, woman, child, elderly, etc. etc.
:cheese:

Anje
November 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I'm with you, taliarose -- I'm growing until it feels like right. The longer my hair gets, the more I like it. It feels feminine, graceful, mysterious, and just a bit rebellious. I like being able to do all kinds of updos, and I like being able to let it loose when I feel like showing off a bit.

I've got knee length as a goal, but I'm not sure where my hair will stop. I am skeptical that I'd be able to maintain much longer than knee or calf length, because I think hair that reaches the ground when I sit could get caught in roller chairs or stepped on, but I'll find out if/when I reach that kind of length.

Chromis
November 5th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Two reasons:

I want to find out where my terminal length is out of curiosity (though if it turns out to be past floor I might reconsider!)

I do it to thumb my nose at my cancer. Take that stupid cancer! :bigtongue:

angelthadiva
November 5th, 2008, 07:58 AM
My goal is terminal; depending on how it looks on me at that length (whatever that length is) I might cut it back to a more functional length. OTOH, I might just keep it, and maintain the ends. I wear my hair contained all the time, so Joe Q. Public doesn't know how long it really is, only people who are close to me.

My main goal for letting it grow is just so I know how long it *can* grow.

carloota
November 5th, 2008, 08:09 AM
A natural symbol of my true nature as a fairytale mermaid romance novel heroine princess.

ME TOO! :D

Plus I'm too che, er I mean FRUGAL, to go to a salon for haircuts, styling, etc. ;)

brok3nwings
November 5th, 2008, 08:11 AM
im sorry this has nothing to do with the thread but, carloota, that is my sisters name :) where are you from?

jojo
November 5th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Well I started off wanting my waist length back this was my ultimate goal, but then I found LHC and thought classic would be nice, now i am leaning towards should I see just how long it will grow. This mainly being out of curiosity and also because I am long haired at heart as it makes my personality. I still have such a way to go, but I am willing to give it a shot and see what time brings x

Delila
November 5th, 2008, 08:31 AM
My goal, such as it was, was fingertip. I'm nearly there, but since I've got more thickness than I'd have thought possible, I'm thinking I'll just keep on with minimal trims, and let things keep growing along.

I do like the way the extra length helps fatten out my updos. With my fine, relatively thin hair, every bit helps. :)

heidi w.
November 5th, 2008, 08:45 AM

There is a SOCIAL GROUP Knee Length and longer or something close to that. There's also a SOCIAL GROUP for updos.

I can't explain WHY I like this length. I just do. It's just how I feel best. It's also a LOT easier to deal with than shorter hairstyles. I've had very short, styled hair, and it was too much effort to me. So maybe I'm lazy?....LOL

heidi w.

rhubarbarin
November 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I would really like classic to calf length hair, however thickness is more important to me, and since I don't have much hair I think I'll probably end up maintaining somewhere shorter than my terminal length.. but I might try to grow to terminal one day just to see what it is!

I really like the super lengths because it's so unusual to see hair beyond hip IRL.. and while it doesn't seem particularily feminine (I do think long hair on women is feminine and beautiful, but I don't think having hair down to your knees is more so than having it to your waist) to me, it does make me think of the times throughout history when very long hair on both men and women, depending on the culture, was much more common, and all the reasons there were for people growing and keeping their hair long..

Hair is pretty, long hair is prettiest, super long hair is just amazing.

And it's not only about looks, it's really impressive the time it takes to grow it, and the effort it takes to care for it and keep it safe and healthy.

* In some way it makes me feel connected with history and I can daydream about being in a different timeperiod.
(this might be silly but sometimes I feel it might make up a little for all those women (family and not) who were forced to have their locks shaved off in the camps, in honour of their beauty)

Eresh I think this is a beautiful reason, not silly at all.

Heidi_234
November 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Long hair would weight down my curls and decrease the volume and puff,
Longer hair would make me very special and oh so non-conformist.

sahiba
November 5th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I want long hair because I like them. The thought of a long braid going down my back and ending below the knees is my dream. :)

mira-chan
November 5th, 2008, 09:19 AM

I think there is one already.

I'm growing because I can (try at least) and feel like it. Some curiosity as to what terminal is and it's a challenge.

Unzadi
November 5th, 2008, 09:49 AM
ME TOO! :D

Plus I'm too che, er I mean FRUGAL, to go to a salon for haircuts, styling, etc. ;)

This past week, I had a very frugal friend tell me I'm smart to do my own color/trims and could I either do her trims or teach her to do her own. Yes, I will teach her the ways of the Feye.

HairColoredHair
November 5th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Because I want to, mostly.

When I was little I wanted knee-length hair. A few more years and I might be there! :D :D :D

And then calf/ankle/floor/glee!

I might trim when I can't walk for stepping upon it. :lol:

Aisha25
November 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I put my goal as ankle cause for me to be able to have a braid going all down my back and legs is a dream to me. Seeing beautiful Indian women with black thick hair going to the floor made me always want them long. To me that is beauty and part of being a woman:wink:

Islandgrrl
November 5th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Hmm....well, I've been at knee length before and I loved how good it felt. It was just, well, right. Of course I went horribly wrong when I cut :shrug: so I'm back on the journey to rightness with my hair.

I really just want to see where terminal is, though. And only because I can.

Oh, and Robbi, I WILL be over 50 when I reach knee again. :)

Teakafrog
November 5th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Besides I am attracted to the ladies with long hair… Perhaps it goes both ways?

:agree::crush::bowtome:
Why yes, we are! First thing I noticed about my hubby. :D

neon-dream
November 5th, 2008, 11:32 AM
The reason I want long hair is because I've always been fascinated by it, even when I was little.
I seen one woman in Florida with the shiniest hair in the world, hehe and it was knee length and it made me think 'i want hair like that one day'
and one day I hope to get it :)

Fantak
November 5th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hm I guess I'm the only one doing it for conformity ;p Well no not really, but almost everyone where I live have at least waist length hair and I've always loved really long hair. Then I saw my cousin's lovely knee length hair and fell in love. I've been growing it since :D

I don't want it longer than knee length though, I've seen ankle length hair and can't see myself with hair that long ^.^

Amara
November 5th, 2008, 02:21 PM
In my corner of the world (socially speaking) short hair is pretty common for the more out there, artsy sort. Lots of dyes, short cuts, punky styles, piercings and tattoos, etc. I do the hair dye (on some shorter layers near the front, and I have blonde streak), and I have piercings and tattoos, so it's fun to surprise everyone with NOT fitting in short-hair-wise. My long hair means I don't quite fit into anyone's pigeon-hole. :)

Also, I love the way it feels, soft and romantical. :D

~GypsyCurls~
November 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I've had long hair since I was a little kid, but for the past several years I've lost length again and again because of bleaching/dyeing, not knowing how to take care of it correctly, etc. Now I still dye it becasue I really don't like my natural color, but there will be no more bleaching ever again, and no being rough on my hair. I no longer use shampoo at all, just a 'cone free conditioner to wash and condition it, and natural things like shea butter as styling products. The longest I remember having it was at least to the top of my bum but possibly longer...it was also more wavy than it was curly. These days I'm between BSL and waist length, and since my hair is curly some days it seems longer than others, and it reaches just *barely* to the top of my waist. When my hair is wet or straightened it is just to the top of my waist. Ultimately, I'm not sure where I want to end up but I know I at least want it to be able to cover my bum...although I may end up going terminal and maintaning healthy ends.

Flying Betty
November 5th, 2008, 04:34 PM
!!!!!!!!!!

Friesiangirl
November 5th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Because it is a part of me, and who I am. Just like my eyes, my skin, my nails, my body shape, and the rest. If I take good care of it, and don't abuse it, I'm essentially taking care of myself.

Hayley

Robbi Dehlinger
November 5th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Woo hoo!

Lots of reasons here:)

joyfulmom4
November 5th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Because I LOVE the look of long hair. Always have. Way back to when I was a kid.

Because it's unique and different from what everyone else has. There are lots of stylish hairdos out there and I know mine is not in style, but it doesn't matter. It's my hair and I like it this way. I could have a cute short, styled do if I wanted to. But then I'd be just like everyone else. How many of the short-hairs could have my hairstyle?

Because I feel blessed to have been born with thick hair that's capable of growing long and that has maintained a nice color, even as I'm getting older. Might as well enjoy what God gave me, to its fullest extent.

Because it's so easy to take care of. Yeah, I know lots of people think long hair care is hard. But I don't have to go to a salon every 6 weeks for haircuts. I don't buy gobs of hair products. I don't use heat styling. I don't perm or color or straighten. I don't have to spend more than a few minutes on styling my hair (unless I want to). Easy peasy.

Because I'm curious. Curious just how long I can grow it. I don't know that I'll grow to terminal for sure. It might get too cumbersome if I have to always wear it up all the time, so we'll see how I feel as it gets longer. But it's currently the longest it's ever been in my life and I'm curious to know how it will look as it gets longer and how long it could grow.

Finally, because it's my one little piece of rebellion; my expression of individuality in a life that's otherwise pretty conventional. I'm married, a mother of four, 40 yrs old, work in a clinic, teach Sunday school, knit and sew, keep my house clean, etc. When I was younger and single and before life's grown-up responsibilities, I had fun being more free and different from the crowd, expressing myself in unique ways. Now I don't need that and don't choose it. I have other priorities. But the hair, well that's my nod to that other, less conventional, part of me. There's still a long-haired hippie-boho creative type girl in there. ;)

blondecat
November 5th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I am growing to Teminal.

Whatever that may be.

Part of this is Religious in Nature. Partly because of a Promise I made.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 5th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I am growing to Teminal.

Whatever that may be.

Part of this is Religious in Nature. Partly because of a Promise I made.

Well, it is all pretty and what WONDERFUL color!:cheese:

blondecat
November 5th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Well, it is all pretty and what WONDERFUL color!:cheese:

Thank You.

I love your's :)

Robbi Dehlinger
November 5th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Thank You.

I love your's :)

It's a wig, but thank you anyway:)

My own hair is much longer than that, but not as thick (YET)

ilovelonghair
November 5th, 2008, 11:03 PM
First of all, I don't think super long hair is feminine, long hair has nothing to do with being a woman: men can have super long hair too.
For me it's being different, but also because it looks good and you can do much more with hair when it's very long. My hair isn't extremely long atm, but will get there one day. I notice now the more my hair grows, the more updo's I can do :). Especially really intricated updo's require very long hair (or lots of it)

Robbi Dehlinger
November 5th, 2008, 11:05 PM
First of all, I don't think super long hair is feminine, long hair has nothing to do with being a woman: men can have super long hair too.
For me it's being different, but also because it looks good and you can do much more with hair when it's very long. My hair isn't extremely long atm, but will get there one day. I notice now the more my hair grows, the more updo's I can do :). Especially really intricated updo's require very long hair (or lots of it)

Did not say that super long hair was femme or masculine, I said it made ME feel more femme:)

Anyway, I thank you for your input:)

RedJen
November 5th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I've always loved super-long hair. I wasn't allowed to have long hair as a kid, but I wanted it desperately. I just love the way it looks, feels, and moves.

My goal is terminal. So far, it has reached my knees. I'm curious to know how long it can get. No other woman in my family that I know of for several generations has had hair longer than waist-length.

longhairedfairy
November 6th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I think long hair is beautiful and it makes me feel different and special. I won't conform just because something happens to be popular or unpopular. Now, if everyone started growing long hair... I'd still keep it long and just work harder to keep it in good condition!

Katahdin
November 6th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I just love the way it looks. Very pretty and feminine :)

I also have to admit, I like the hair compliments, but that's not the WHOLE reason I'm growing, just a nice perk.

Katze
November 6th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Well, I have no desire for knee length but hip or tailbone would eventually be nice.

I'm growing my hair in part because I want to look different when I am older ("like a witch") and in part because everyone has told me my hair will never get long, or, if it by chance does, it will look terrible. I am fighting with feeling like it looks terrible a lot, so having it look OK (at least in the mirror) and be long is really an accomplishment!

My realistic goal is waist untapered. That is very long for me, because I have never had long hair before. BSL is the longest it has ever been, including as a kid.

Dianyla
November 6th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Having freaky-long hair does not make me feel more feminine. It makes me feel more powerful. RAWR. :)

AprilElf
November 6th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I'm a 'super longie wannabee' purely out of curiosity. I've had long hair for most of my life, but I don't know how long it will grow. Just for once, I want to find out!

At the moment I can't imagine myself with hair longer than classic - probably because classic is the first length goal I'm focused on. :) I love having hair at tailbone or longer because it's so much fun to play with, and it makes me feel special ... and I can pretend I'm a fairytale princess. :p

Robbi Dehlinger
November 6th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Having freaky-long hair does not make me feel more feminine. It makes me feel more powerful. RAWR. :)

There is POWER in hair, power to seduce!:)

Also power in femininity:):cool:

yrrebwartsymssi
November 6th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I had long hair in middle school and high school, and i miss it so much. Also, I think it is partly the rebel in me... My family thinks that too long hair is gross. As a matter of fact they thought shaving my head was gross. LOL... Anyways, I always feel more feminine with long hair. (even with a wig on)

Feng-Shui
November 6th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I go for terminals.

As a child I have to always have dreamed about it hair as long as a princess.

I saw Sophie Marceau in Braveheart and I thought that is my hair of a daily.

Lady Godiva
November 6th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Why? Well, why not? :wink:

I remember when I was a child I saw photos of the Sutherland Sisters in a book on anomalies, and I thought their hair was the most beautiful anomaly anyone could want. All the others were gross! :p

My mom had long hair to about hip-length when I was 3-4 years old, and all my little friends loved her hair. I wanted to be like my mama.

Later, her good friend had classic length wavy hair and could braid it without tying it off at the end. I was fascinated by this quality, as my mom's hair and mine are stick-straight, and such a braid would fall out almost immediately without a final elastic.

I desperately wanted long hair, but was not allowed to have it because it was "too straight and too fine," everyone said. My hair was kept boy-short. My stupid sister (:lol: ) said it was the color of dirt, while hers was the color of chocolate. BTW, we get along great these days. Her hair is gorgeous, perfect pepper and salt. Mine has no gray.

I've just always wanted super long hair. Some here know what I've written before, how when I was a tot I'd drape my bath towel vertically down my back to pretend it was floor length hair. Long hair is the stuff of fairy tales and fantasies. It's the opposite of cooped-up business life for both men and women. It's the opposite of scrubbing floors, doing laundry, vacuuming and dusting. It's going out on dates, living it up, and relaxing after a day's work. It's all the good stuff in life. It's freedom. It's part of being who I am.

zift
November 6th, 2008, 09:59 AM
... My stupid sister (:lol: ) said it was the color of dirt, while hers was the color of chocolate. ...

OMG your hair is so not the color of "dirt", actually I've always thought it looks like chocolate color;)

I like long hair very much especially the super long lengths and that's why I grew it so long back than(or why would I do such a thing if I didn't like...) I still want to have very very long hair but seems like I can't handle it somehow. Wish my hair hadn't been so difficult on me and I'd let it stay. It should have been knee length by now:sad
I'm not sure if I'll grow longer than classic again though, I wouldn't want to go over all the things maybe when I retire I'll think of growing again.

BTW if I thought long hair makes me look feminen I'd probably shave it all off because I'm allergic to feminen*lol* hair is hair wheather on man or woman it's the same! Well beard is masculine or boobs are feminene but hair is nothing of both.:smirk:

taliarose
November 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Oh and I remember seeing Crystal Gale once on tv and being amazed by her hair. Cher's never did that to me. I've always had fun with my hair as it's been growing. Somehow I don't see that as ever stopping. I think the day I can't take care of it and there is no one around to do so for me will be the saddest day ever. :(

StephanieB
November 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM
sister (:lol: ) said it was the color of dirt, while hers was the color of chocolate.

I guess mine's the color of dirty chocolate. :rollin:

That's what I get for rolling around in the dirt to play, as a child, while scarfing all of the chocolate that I used to steal out of the pantry. lol

Anyhow, I think I'd like to see how long my hair will actually ever get.

Why?
Just because I can.

pookatrina
November 6th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I'm curious to see how long it can get.
I'm a slacker & long hair is easier for me than short hair.
I'm disabled, so hair is one of the only parts I have 100% control over.

redeyedtreefr0g
November 6th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I like my hair long. It's me. When my hair was really short, it was cute, but not "me". When I had to dye it, everyone loved it, and I liked it too, but I got past the want-to-chop phase and dyed it back, it didn't feel right.

Having had waist length hair, and then suddenly not having it, I felt awful. Also, it's one of the things I like most about me, and I know Jamie loves my hair (else why would he have kept a lock of it when it had to get chopped?).

It does make me feel beautiful. And while I don't remember if I ever draped a towel down my back, I do know that I would pretend my beachtowel turban was long hair. Same thing I guess :D. And I still tip my head back and feel how long it is, how pretty, and then see the difference when I stand normal and think of how it will be there someday.

I will say- my twin who had the 2nd longest hair growing up, and who was jealous of our little sister who mom kept the length the longest on- she loved my really short hair, and now hers is cropped up short and it looks so good on her. We've swapped places. She also dies it either black, or dark red.

I had never heard of terminal length before, but I guess that's where I'm aiming now.

lorig713
November 6th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I never intended to be at knee-length but here I am. :)

I like my hair long because:

I think I look better with long hair.
It is different and uncommon-like me. :silly:

Schnee
November 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I like the way updos look on me and I don't see any reason to cut my hair as long as the length isn't troublesome. I'm curious about my terminal lentgh, but it's not important so I won't sacrifice comfort or quality to achieve terminal length. :)

Also, I cannot deny that my hair does make my stand out in a crowd, but if it's a good or a bad thing depends. ;)

Robbi Dehlinger
November 6th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I like the way updos look on me and I don't see any reason to cut my hair as long as the length isn't troublesome. I'm curious about my terminal lentgh, but it's not important so I won't sacrifice comfort or quality to achieve terminal length. :)

Also, I cannot deny that my hair does make my stand out in a crowd, but if it's a good or a bad thing depends. ;)

From seeing your piccy there, I would say that is a GOOD thing:) It isVERY lovley!:cool:

Loviatar
November 7th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I want superlong hair so that I can have a bun that eats the back of my head ;)

And so I can wear long mediaeval braids...

Robbi Dehlinger
November 7th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I'll drink to that Lovi, and I seldom drink:)

carolineb
November 7th, 2008, 06:13 AM
it goes along with some ideals of patience and perseverence that i want to reach

Robbi Dehlinger
November 7th, 2008, 06:14 AM
a little desire to be pretty is good too:) (Guys are allowed to be pretty also!)

nimeera
November 7th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I'm growing my hair because I was inspired by a very tall lovely egyptian dancer who has hair down to her heels, and she knows how to use it! I love the fact that with long hair, you can wear it short, wear it long, wear it simple, or dress it up with all sorts of jewels. I love the way that indian dancers wear their braid with tassles at the end, and sometimes under the belt at their waist. I love the way that classical persian dancers wear two braids to the front, wrapped in pearls. I love the way that it is like a little surprise. No one ever sees it down, but when they do, they are amazed by how long it is. I've heard the whispered commentary on whether it is real or not. I love the way it is so seductive, so flirty, so fun when down. And when it is up it is simple, stern, serious, powerful. I can have multiple personalities just by how I wear my hair.

You can't do all that with hair cut short.

I want to have hair down to my heels.

Medvssa
November 7th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Because I think it is beautiful, and I like to have beautiful things around me.

RedJen
November 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I'm growing my hair because I was inspired by a very tall lovely egyptian dancer who has hair down to her heels, and she knows how to use it! I love the fact that with long hair, you can wear it short, wear it long, wear it simple, or dress it up with all sorts of jewels. I love the way that indian dancers wear their braid with tassles at the end, and sometimes under the belt at their waist. I love the way that classical persian dancers wear two braids to the front, wrapped in pearls. I love the way that it is like a little surprise. No one ever sees it down, but when they do, they are amazed by how long it is. I've heard the whispered commentary on whether it is real or not. I love the way it is so seductive, so flirty, so fun when down. And when it is up it is simple, stern, serious, powerful. I can have multiple personalities just by how I wear my hair.

You can't do all that with hair cut short.

I want to have hair down to my heels.

Really cool post! I've done some Middle Eastern dancing, and plan to get back to it when my schedule loosens up, and I love the feel of the hair when I dance. Unfortunately, it gets caught in my hip scarf!!

akka naeda
November 7th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I have better things to do with my time and money than spending time once every two weeks getting a style maintained at a hairdressers.

I'm also curious as to how long it will actually get while keeping reasonably thick at the ends - when plaited it has a reasonably even taper, I'd like the end of my plait to be calf length (ankle length unplaited) with minimal increase in taper. But if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

Schnee
November 7th, 2008, 01:09 PM
From seeing your piccy there, I would say that is a GOOD thing:) It isVERY lovley!:cool:

Well, thank you very much. :)

But, as I said, sometimes unusual hair can be a PITA, especially on the days I just want to be left alone doing my thing and NOT make small talk with strangers touching my hair without permission... Luckily I hardly never get negative comments, but I wish I had a boring bob sometimes. :p

joyfulmom4
November 7th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Well, thank you very much. :)

But, as I said, sometimes unusual hair can be a PITA, especially on the days I just want to be left alone doing my thing and NOT make small talk with strangers touching my hair without permission... Luckily I hardly never get negative comments, but I wish I had a boring bob sometimes. :p

At least you can always put it up. Most people don't comment if my hair is in a simple bun. I keep a couple of cheapie hairsticks and hairpins and elastics in my purse at all times, so a quick updo can be done in seconds. :)

Arielle8960
November 7th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I'm growing to waist (at least!) because I love trying new styles and using accessories! I've been talked into so many choppy, layered looks that left me with no styling options except a thin-looking scraggly ponytail. I'm looking forward to experimenting with updos, and not having to deal with awkward post-bob growouts.

Schnee
November 7th, 2008, 02:09 PM
At least you can always put it up. Most people don't comment if my hair is in a simple bun. I keep a couple of cheapie hairsticks and hairpins and elastics in my purse at all times, so a quick updo can be done in seconds. :)

Well, I never wear my hair down in public, so putting it up doesn't really solve my "problem". ;)

UncommonTart
November 7th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Well, I'd like for the end of my braid to reach classic length. Not the tassel, but the end of the braided section, you know what I mean? Going from where my braid hits now, with my hair about midway between tailbone and classic, I think my hair would need to be almost knee-length for that to work. I'm not really sure why, though, that's just ta goal in the back of my mind. Of course, I'd also like to see what my terminal length is, just to know. So I'm going for knee length or terminal, whichever is longer, because I am curious. It does make me feel more feminine, but not in a 'shrinking-violet' sort of way, more in a Lady Godiva, Joan of Arc, Queen Elizabeth I, 'being female is awesome' sort of way. (If that last part makes any sense at all to anyone else.)

Cinnamon Hair
November 7th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I have knee length hair simply because it kept growing after I reached classic :D
No, really I just like long hair, always have. It is uncommon and that's nice too. To me long hair and super long hair is beautiful, sexy, etc. etc. When you wear it up it's a fun secret and when down it looks stunning.

ilovelonghair
November 9th, 2008, 04:18 PM
The story goes that my great grand mother 'had such long hair that it gave her headaches and she had to cut it off'. So I got quite curious about this, me being the one with the longest hair in the entire family (no one can grow past BSL except for my mother and me), so I asked my mother a couple of days ago how long my great grandmothers hair actually was. Appeared it was just hip lenght! And I was always thinking that it was at least knee lenght to cause those headaches. As if hip lenght can cause that! Anyway, I'll probably grow it longer then hers :)

Eryka
November 9th, 2008, 04:51 PM
To be honest, I never aspired to a length until I saw Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider. At that point I knew I HAD TO HAVE butt length hair. When I got there I wasn't satisfied, so knee became my next goal. Well, I've been at knee now for a year and I'm setting my sites on ankle. However I'm not planning on getting there any time soon. I'm growing and trimming to improve the condition of my length. I've been unkind to it with washing/brushing and my length is tattered 2/3 of the way. I figure in 3-5 years I can completely regrow my length, I'll take it from there.

Speckla
November 9th, 2008, 05:24 PM
What is considered super long? I want 36" of virgin hair. I'm 61" tall so that's more than 1/2 my body length. I also have a very short torso so it will probably be hip when pulled straight.

I love curls and mine ringlets and spirals more as it gets longer.
________
Buy Iolite (http://www.vaporshop.com/iolite-vaporizer.html)

Eryka
November 9th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I think super long is anything past a person butt, no matter their height. (And by butt I mean the bottom curve of it.)

Speckla
November 9th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I think super long is anything past a person butt, no matter their height. (And by butt I mean the bottom curve of it.)

There's 24" between the bottom of my neck and curve of my butt - I may be just there when my hair is pulled straight. My hair is a few inches above BSL when pulled straight.
________
BUY VAPOR TOWER (http://www.vaporshop.com/vapor-tower-vaporizer.html)

zen_oven
November 9th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I'm not 100% sure I want to get to knee length yet, though I'm toying with the idea. I think growing long hair is mainly about patience for me. I learned not too terribly long ago that anything worth doing is worth taking the time for. It worked with losing 40 pounds and getting in the best shape I've ever been in, so it'll work for my hair too. :)

darkwaves
November 9th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I'd like to reach terminal length for many reasons, including curiosity...

Being adopted, I can't point to any relatives and say "Grandma, mom and aunt soandso have hair down to there, so I can, too." Even knowing my grandmothers, aunts, etc., I don't know my genetic hair potential -- they all had short hair!

I do it to thumb my nose at my cancer. Good point! I'm a former chemo-chick, so growing long hair is a very cool thing to me.

I love the way it is so seductive, so flirty, so fun when down. And when it is up it is simple, stern, serious, powerful. I can have multiple personalities just by how I wear my hair. I like this -- yes, it does allow me to express myself in different ways. For example, I tend to wear my hair up and fairly controlled at work, and either loose or loosely held off work.

Having freaky-long hair does not make me feel more feminine. It makes me feel more powerful. RAWR. :) And this, I love!!!

Rhabhekkha
November 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I like having long hair because it feels "right" on me. (I'm not super-longie necessarily, but it reaches my bum.)

I started growing it a looong time ago... pretty much right on ten years. I was thinking just today that when I started growing it was when I was leaving the fog of youth so to speak, and growing into the person I've become. So my long hair has kept a record of that growth, inch by inch (I started at about half an inch).

Also, it feels feminine to me, and dramatic, and gorgeous. I think a lot about gender roles and in my writing (I write stuff...) I deal with women taking on masculine roles a lot. *I* tend to take on a masculine role in my life, and in many ways I think of myself as somewhat masculine, just not at all in body. I like the huge contrast my hair makes to that side of me... I might imagine myself as being masculine in some ways (mostly intellectual ways, but it's hard to explain so I won't go into detail here) but my body is indisputably incredibly feminine. I lie that. :)

But I'm also into the drama aspect. I like having something about me that exudes drama. :D

Rhabhekkha
November 9th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Can't edit, but meant to type "I LIKE that." :)

Tressie
November 9th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Hmmm a few reasons.
* It does make me feel very feminine :-)
* It makes me feel graceful and I like the feel of it flowing when I dance.
* I like the many variations I can use (updo's or halfups or down)
(though I usually use the same bun on weekdays at work, quick and comfy)
* It gives me a place to hide behind when I feel shy (or depressed).
* It can divert the attention from me to my hair ;)
* I like how it looks
* It is in a way character building, the patience, the taking care of, all that.
* I guess I also like to be different (and stubborn) :o
eresh, I don't think it's at all silly of you to wear your hair long partly in honor the girls and women who were shorn in the camps. I think it's wonderful actually! (o:

Robbi Dehlinger
November 9th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Love all these anwers!

But also there is something incredibly alluring and attractive about knee length hair. Being "insdie it" and feeling and seeing it swaying around my knees wis something that will just THRILL me!

joyfulmom4
November 10th, 2008, 08:22 AM
there is something incredibly alluring and attractive about knee length hair. Being "insdie it" and feeling and seeing it swaying around my knees wis something that will just THRILL me!

Oh yes, ita. I'm not yet to knee, just past tailbone and approaching classic, but I always feel pretty surrounded by loose and flowing hair. It's not just alluring or pretty though, it's also sortof cozy and comforting, if that makes any sense. Like in my "frizzy" pic in my album. I can disappear under there. :D

nicolina
November 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Growing my hair is kind of psychologically important to me right now, because I've realised that for the last few years I've been unconsciously trying to make myself conform to a particular group of friends. This is my own insecurity here - they're all lovely, accepting people and they like me for who I am, but I couldn't quite see that at the time. So growing my hair is about letting myself grow in all the ways I can - giving myself permission to grow into the person I want to be. </sappiness>

joyfulmom4
November 11th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Growing my hair is kind of psychologically important to me right now, because I've realised that for the last few years I've been unconsciously trying to make myself conform to a particular group of friends. This is my own insecurity here - they're all lovely, accepting people and they like me for who I am, but I couldn't quite see that at the time. So growing my hair is about letting myself grow in all the ways I can - giving myself permission to grow into the person I want to be. </sappiness>

And you're only 20? Wow. I wish I had figured that out at age 20. I am pretty sure it took me at least another ten years. :o All the best to you. I am certain you'll be both unique and gorgeous.

birthmarkie
November 11th, 2008, 06:20 AM
My non-super-long goal length is TB, but I hope to grow to terminal or close to it one day.

It just seems like the way things are meant to be. Hair grows, so let it. Good things like comfort, patience, and self-awareness, have come from my decision to grow my hair and I expect great things as it grows even longer.

There is a timelessness to long hair. The beauty of long braids and elaborate updos is one thing, and the Lady Godiva/human angel effect is really what keeps me most inspired.

The challenge is exciting too.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 11th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I also like the idea of "wearing it" which is kinda like what joyful mom said??

birthmarkie
November 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I also like the idea of "wearing it" which is kinda like what joyful mom said??

Definitely! :agree: I love that idea.

nicolina
November 11th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks, joyfulmum! I'm really enjoying experimenting with my hair and trying new things with it (first hairstick bun this week!).

In terms of length, I think I want to grow it to about waist-length, see how it looks and feels, and work out where I'm going from there. Plus I've always wanted waist-length hair. Another romantic heroine/princess wannabe :D

CaityBear
November 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Orginally my goal was hip length...but I'm starting to think after I hit that goal I want to go longer... I'm tempted to make my next goal Classic.

I just love the way long hair looks. The longer the better! lol It does make me feel quite feminine and I looove the way it feels when long hair brushes your back. :)

Friesiangirl
November 11th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I also grow mine because I tried to conform to other's standards. I grow mine out now because it feels right. I should do what feels right, because then it means something.

Because of my hair, I found and follow a new life rule:

I will not force anything to be, try yes, but if it isn't meant to be, then let it be.

~GypsyCurls~
November 13th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I want super long hair because it's dramatic, unique, feminine, and beautiful!

blackice
November 13th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Well as an African American woman I has told all my life that I could not grow my hair past my shoulders...but I did. Now my hair goals are for me only. I love big hair and with my texture I have to grow it long in order to get it BIG. My hair is WL but it only looks to BSL due to the shrinkage...another reason why I have to grow it long. I also look more feminine and it makes me feel more feminine. The Hubby loves it long, so I get that extra attention from him...and I love it:eyebrows:.

Shadow Walker
November 14th, 2008, 12:09 AM
My goal is terminal length, because I've always loved the look of very long hair and wondered what it would be like to have it. I feel more at home with long hair, and the longer it gets the happier I am! I'm also curious to see just how long it will grow and what I'll look like with hip/knee/longer hair. :)

Robbi Dehlinger
November 14th, 2008, 12:31 AM
My goal is terminal length, because I've always loved the look of very long hair and wondered what it would be like to have it. I feel more at home with long hair, and the longer it gets the happier I am! I'm also curious to see just how long it will grow and what I'll look like with hip/knee/longer hair. :)

If it looks HALF as good as it does now, I will marry you! LOL

Darkhorse1
November 14th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I just always loved the look of long hair, playing with it, braiding it etc (which is weird, because I rarely do any fancy hair styles since in my job, it has to be back). But, I like having the options ;)

To me, long hair also felt 'free'. That it wasn't restricted into some unrealistic style. To me, long hair is the most natural of styles. It's what our hair is supposed to look like. Natural meaning no hair spray, gel, mousse etc.

I also love the feeling of it--silky and flowy--although, in the heat of summer, if I get a single hair on my leg, I freak thinking it's a bug! ;)

I am also a rebel. I love being different. I love the fact that not everyone has long hair. That it makes me my own person because this is a style I choose out of the norm. I hate trends. I hate being a follower. I want to be an individual.

Of course, this is an individual who, one night, freaked out thinking a huge spider was on her pillow, and when I moved away from it, it followed me. Yeah, it was the length of my hair I spread out on my pillow. Ugh. But, I did laugh when I realized that. Teheheheh. I'm so special ;)

Arctic_Mama
November 14th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I want super long, virgin hair for any number of reasons.

The first reason is religious, the second is that my husband loves long hair.

The third is more complicated - I have bounced between hair lengths for years and have discovered I just don't quite feel like myself with shorter hair. My identity needs long hair, it's how I view myself when I picture me at my happiest.

The final reasons are simple, thank goodness! My hair is extremely difficult to care fore short - it has TONS of fine strands and is unbearably thick to the point of super triangle head without layers cut in. The longer it is, the more manageable it is and the tamer it looks. I have hair that looks impressive when long, and gosh darnit I want to show it off. I love the compliments, I love being able to hide behind it, and I like being different in this way when I am so typical in so many others.

My goals have changed - at first I wanted tailbone length, them classic, then knee, but gosh darnit unless its unbearably straggly I want to go for terminal out of sheer curiosity and then trim it to whatever the longest length it will stay thick at is. If I henna it, I want it to be over virgin hair, so I can SEE myself as I was meant to be for at least a portion of my life. I have dye to grow out and some layers too, and I will be so happy to grow for enough years that I see those gone, gone, gone!

(oh, and I am a total hair toy addict... the longer the hair the more excuse for accruing pretties I have! :eyebrows:)

Kaeri
November 14th, 2008, 05:47 AM
My hair got to classic all on its own without me having any goals. Now I'm working with it to get it healthier. I have given up my beloved small plastic comb that I carried everywhere with me for years and bought myself a woden comb and BBB, I also finger comb where I can and have gone CO cone free. I have a couple of hair toys and am learning new styles to try minimalise damage.

I've always had long hair. The shortest I've ever had it was a chin length bob at 11 when I started high school, it infuriated me and I felt false. Since my hair got back to BSL I've pretty much worn it braided in 1 normal braid for everyday life until recently.

For years my hair refused to grow any longer than BSL. then in about 2001 (thats a guess - I don't remember when exactly) it seemed to start getting longer again and I'm curious how long it will grow to. At the same time I know that its terminal length may eventually be too long for me. (I had about 2 inches cut off a couple of months ago because it was 'too long' and getting damaged, but that was before I discovered how to do updo's and got some hair toys.)

I love having long hair. I love dancing with it down and it swirling around me. I love that my DJ mate plays tons of songs I like to see how many I last through before I have to unfasten it. I love having it braided back and feeling the bottom of my plait move about when I turn. I love that as an otherwise unremarkable person it makes me stand out. I love when people say 'look at the length of your hair/plait' with a kind of O face. I love that it makes me feel special. I love that it can make me feel feminine if I want it to but that is doesn't have to.

My current goal is waist/classic length healthy hair. I only started caring for my hair properly about 2 months ago tho so could take a while. In the meantime I'll just watch and enjoy where the rest of it grows to.

EdG
November 14th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Having freaky-long hair does not make me feel more feminine. It makes me feel more powerful. RAWR. :)Thudpower! :thud: Dianyla haz it. :kitten:

(Sorry for the late reply. I've had this thought running through my mind). :D
Ed

Raven69
November 14th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Since my hair was first drastically cut short, I have been taking it one length at a time. Now it is below TB and so my next goal is knee length. Once knee length the next goal will be all the way to the floor. Medieval times and fairy tales...I am fascinated with both. Wanna be the 'next Rapunzel'...lol, j/k. You know Rapunzel actually had black hair or very dark brown and Sleeping Beauty had black hair as well!

EDIT: *is secretly in the fight against blonds* Well, at least in the version I was told when younger(not to mention some of the kiddy books that had pretty pictures on the cover and in the book...)

Robbi Dehlinger
November 14th, 2008, 10:52 PM
WHAT? They were not blonde aryans super women?

That is OK, their hair was long:)

Eryka
November 15th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I concur with the people who said long hair is powerful. It puts you in this elite class of individuals that short haired people don't get. Some look and admire, others get viciously jealous and unkind.

From personal experience, super long hair can compensate in a group of the same sex of which you feel inferior. I've never been thin (working on it) and I've always been self conscious about my skin. However as soon as I let my hair down no one even thinks (including me) of my insecurities. I've gotten out of some tricky conversations by having to "fix" my hair at that moment.

On a side note, rarely will you get negative comments but they do happen. Some women automatically get offended because they feel less feminine by comparison. That makes them very catty. We all have out hangups but, there's no reason to make a big deal out of it. Especially with strangers.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 15th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Eryka:

Long hair is powerful, look what it did for Samson:)

First command performance, he brought down the house:)

Merewen
June 18th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Yes, yes yes! It's also very psychological for me. When I was a kid, I was pretty confident and happy, and my hair was long. When I hit middle school, I lost my confidence and chopped my hair. It's been hanging around APL for a while. Me growing out my hair is my way of saying "I like who I am again, and if you don't like me, that's too bad because this is who I am going to be."

fishwich
June 18th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Two reasons:

1. I love messing with it.
2. I like the attention.

And that's pretty much it, really! I'm curious to see where it'll stop growing, but that's mostly just gravy...I mean, thinking "hmm, will I be able to drag a cat on it?" is fun but it doesn't hold a candle to Princess Leia buns.

bakertwins2004
June 18th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I am curious how it will look terminal and my hubby LOVES long locks. My little girl inspired me to grow my out long again. I honestly didn't think I had the hair for it unitl seeing hers grow and caring for it.

lambhair
June 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM
My original numerical goal was/is 40" but my actual goal is to have a braid that is as long as my hair is now (at least TBL)...I just like the feeling of it! My friends say that its a *Leo* thing to be obssessed with my mane...maybe they are right. I love standing out from the mainstream and being a quiet example of what is possible when you stop following the herd. Part of me really loves the traditionalness of long hair, and its association with the feminine aspects of life, yet I like doing very modern styles with it and surprising people. I would love for my hair to be Thigh/Knee length but I don't think that will happen, but I am satisfied with is as it is.

Quixii
June 18th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I would love my hair to be knee length, but I fear my terminal length isn't even bum-length. =(
Anyway, it's just always been a goal of mine. That childhood, "I want to grow up and be a princess with long hair." So maybe I can't be a princess, but I can sure have long hair!
Also, I figure by the time I get knee length hair, I could decide how long I really want it to be. That's what I always thought - when it gets to knee length, I'll cut it off to wherever I want to see it again, and donate the rest.
Plus, it's just so pretty, and a bit of an anomaly. =)

eresh
June 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM
eresh, I don't think it's at all silly of you to wear your hair long partly in honor the girls and women who were shorn in the camps. I think it's wonderful actually! (o:

I only see this now :)
Thanks!

Madame J
June 18th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I consider well-cared-for, long hair to be beautiful, be it on a man or a woman. My husband has hair just barely longer than mine right now, thick, healthy, and never dyed (he's dyed it in the past, but had it cut back to virgin before I met him), and it's just stunning. I had waist-length hair in college and found it to be something that made me stand out among my peers, drawing a lot of favorable attention.

Yes, I do feel feminine with long hair, but that's mostly because I feel beautiful, and I happen to be of the female persuasion, so I consider beauty to enhance my femininity.