PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of cutting it

2gaits
January 19th, 2019, 10:18 AM
I'm somewhere between apl and bsl. I'm kinda tired of it and have considered cutting bangs back for about 6 months. Currently they are below chin length. I have highlights and I can tell I have bleach damage. It doesn't look bad but I feel like it's just so boring and takes forever to dry. I style everyday and wash usually every other day. I get done fixing it and it's just blah. I feel like I have a 10 year olds cut. I think I'm just bored and want something more stylish and fun. I hate putting my hair up so a new updo isn't the answer. I have an issue with my husband liking it long too. He asked me not to cut it. Maybe it just needs a trim and layers redone. Not sure what I'll do but I have an appointment soon.

lapushka
January 19th, 2019, 02:14 PM
First of all. What is your circumference. I know I'm a iii and when I got to that length I had the same issue with wanting to cut, because you can't style (it's too thick) and... well, basically I wore a peacock twist 24/7. That was that until about waist/hip. When I could *finally* do a proper bun. I did have it layered at waist, because it got to be too too heavy for me.

Maybe consider "light" and I say "light" layering instead of bangs? That usually fixes the urge for a style.

spidermom
January 19th, 2019, 02:39 PM
Maybe long hair isn't the right choice for you right now. Look at lots of pictures; find the ones you like the most.

Lady Stardust
January 19th, 2019, 03:31 PM
I understand the urge to have a fringe cut back in. It’s hard to let go of when you know they suit you and when it’s a look you love.

It’s worth remembering why you grew the fringe out in the first place - was it high maintenance? If so, are you happy to go back to that?

As far as the length is concerned, if you you’re happiest wearing it down and you’re craving a style, I say go for it :) Again, is there a reason you were growing it longer - if you’re intending to go much shorter, does it behave ok at shorter lengths, and have you been happy with layers in the past?

Sometimes it doesn’t take much of a change to make a big difference to how you feel about your hair. It’s there to be enjoyed!

Dark40
January 19th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Maybe you do just need a trim. Look at some pictures and videos on long hair for encouragement. My hair is long, and I've always continued to wear my bangs or a fringe. I'm not planning on giving up my bangs. I love bangs. They suit me much better than wearing it all in one length.

2gaits
January 20th, 2019, 11:01 AM
I don't know what my thickness is. My hair is fine but I have a decent amount. I've had all sorts of styles from pixie to apl over the years. I probably would just keep it shorter but my husband likes it long. I grew out bangs because I wanted something different and thought I would love the look of no bangs. I think in my forties I need a softer look. Styling isn't the issue as I fix my hair everyday. I may just leave them for now and layer the length a bit more.

lapushka
January 20th, 2019, 03:07 PM
I don't know what my thickness is. My hair is fine but I have a decent amount. I've had all sorts of styles from pixie to apl over the years. I probably would just keep it shorter but my husband likes it long. I grew out bangs because I wanted something different and thought I would love the look of no bangs. I think in my forties I need a softer look. Styling isn't the issue as I fix my hair everyday. I may just leave them for now and layer the length a bit more.

It's easy enough to measure your circumference. You need to make a ponytail (all your hair needs to be in), then measure around the base (not including the elastic, of course). Then you can tell what thickness you are. Come back to us with the number!

Kathie
January 20th, 2019, 03:40 PM
I'm somewhere between apl and bsl. I'm kinda tired of it and have considered cutting bangs back for about 6 months. Currently they are below chin length. I have highlights and I can tell I have bleach damage. It doesn't look bad but I feel like it's just so boring and takes forever to dry. I style everyday and wash usually every other day. I get done fixing it and it's just blah. I feel like I have a 10 year olds cut. I think I'm just bored and want something more stylish and fun. I hate putting my hair up so a new updo isn't the answer. I have an issue with my husband liking it long too. He asked me not to cut it. Maybe it just needs a trim and layers redone. Not sure what I'll do but I have an appointment soon.

Are you growing your hair for you or for your husband? That was a delicate question, and I really don't want to impose. At the end of the day it really comes down to what makes you happy. That might be growing your hair for your husband, and that is totally understandable! But if a shorter style would make you happier maybe that's the way to go.

Arciela
January 20th, 2019, 08:59 PM
If you don't enjoy long hair then I say cut it!

cjk
January 20th, 2019, 09:25 PM
You don't go onto a long hair forum and say you want to cut it...you cut it, then reveal the results.

Which means you don't want to cut it. But you want us to talk you out of it.

Don't do it. Please. Your hair is so pretty it would be a crime against nature! /s

Actually, without the sarcasm, I'm certain that your hair really is very pretty. But if the ONLY reason you keep it long is for your husband, that may or may not be enough. Only you can decide that. Believe me, I understand the long drying times, my own hair takes 12-18 hours to fully air dry. But there are other options, like a blow dryer with a diffuser or a bonnet. Might be worth a try, if that's your major complaint.

Got to admit, I don't like long hair on men most of the time. So as a man I was hesitant to embrace it. But when CARED for, my hair is beautiful.

You obviously care for your hair as well. You wouldn't be a member here, otherwise. It would be a shame to chop it off on a whim.

Aeonian
February 9th, 2019, 01:22 PM
Wait at least a week with your haircut. It really helps by putting your hair up for most of the time, I'm saying this as a scissor happy person myself. Having a pinterest board full of inspiration pics helps as well. A friend of mine used extensions because she couldn't cope with the grow-out proces between SL and BSL, looked lovely. If you can afford it, why not?

LadyArwen
March 2nd, 2019, 08:25 PM
I may be too late on this post so forgive me if I am. My suggestion is to wait a week or two when you think about cutting it. Do not make any snap decisions one way or the other. Where I am is as cute as I think short hair is, I adore long hair...and that is for me. If you find yourself loving short hair more than long after those two weeks then by all means...if you are unsure just wait on it or get it shaped up nicely.

meljan
March 2nd, 2019, 08:44 PM
I think waiting 1-2 weeks before making a decision is a good idea - in the past I’ve cut my hair without thinking it over after growing it out for years and have regretted it afterwards. It’s worth it to be sure! Don’t worry too much about what your husband thinks - it’s *your* hair. He will think you’re sexy whatever the length of your hair :P

frostedeyes
March 6th, 2019, 06:52 PM
I think it’d be better to wait a few days before you decide to get a haircut. Or maybe your hair is in that awkward stage right now.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 10th, 2019, 07:47 PM
I would wait 2 weeks then see how you feel then. I personally had such a hard time so the two week rule became the 2 month rule!
I waited so long because I was afraid to cut my hair - but I felt SO bored with my hair and after a month the feeling didnt go away so i ended up cutting my hair lol

milosmomma
March 10th, 2019, 09:52 PM
What did you decide? If you are trying to grow your hair, then bangs are a fun way to add a little movement and fun and keep length. But if you feel better in shorter styles, and more like "you" then maybe a more drastic change is in order.

SimplySmile
March 13th, 2019, 08:34 AM
I don't know if I am to late or not but I say wait it out. I have battled with the bordem feeling and gotten bangs thinking it would help me. It did not. Instead it made me upset that I lost that much length and that I now had to figure out how to deal with the bangs for the next 6 months while they grow out. I went through this battle for about 2 years.. I would get bangs, grow them out then get them again. It was a very frustrating experience. I finally overcame this and my "blunt bangs" are now blended in with my face framing layers and they are about collar bone length.

I say try to discover new hairstyles or new hair toys. That might help cure your bordem feeling.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

lapushka
March 13th, 2019, 11:42 AM
I think this is so long ago, some sort of decision has to have long been made. This is from January this year.

Groovy Granny
March 13th, 2019, 11:42 AM
I have seen you posting on other threads ~
What did you decide to do...or not? :popcorn: