PDA

View Full Version : Haircut + bangs???

JEMTheNerd
January 18th, 2019, 10:11 PM
SooOOOoOOOo, since I was about 13 (*cough* and started watching anime *cough*) I've wanted bangs. Well 6 smackin years later, I made my hair appointment. Now, for those of you who know me, ya know I shaved my head and donated like 3 feet of hair 2 years ago. I've been growing my hair out since then, and if you view my album, it's about just past my shoulders. My hair appointment is Thursday and lemme just say I am frickin scared. I don't wanna cut too much off in a spur of the moment kinda thing, but I do desperately need a trim as my last trim was February 2018 just before I joined swim team. I'm also scared the stylist will cut too much of the length off, or I'll look absolutely terrible with bangs. Do bangs look good with really long hair? Does anyone with long hair have bangs? What's your advice on how to make sure the stylist doesn't do more than a trim? I know I still want very long hair, I'm just scared of losing more than an inch of total length. I suppose I'm a bit scared because the last time I went to a salon, I showed the lady a faux hawk and said "buzz me my guy," and finished with a "toodle" to my 3 feet of split ended hair. I take so much better care of my hair now, and have come to really love it. Oh, another reason I'm torn. My hair makes rather nice ringlets of wavy-almost-curls at this length, and I don't wanna have flat, volume less hair as I did when it was long, and I refuse use heat on my hair (although I'll have to on my bangs I imagine.) You guys are like hair pros, is there any advice I can get about bangs, and hair trims? :) Thank you so much!!!

Ylva
January 18th, 2019, 10:15 PM
Do bangs look good with really long hair? Does anyone with long hair have bangs?

The first thing I thought of was Cher.

JEMTheNerd
January 18th, 2019, 10:17 PM
Ngl, I thought you were referring to Chernobyl and I was a little lost. I just googled her and I'm really glad I did!! Her hair is amazing!!! :O

JackintheBox
January 18th, 2019, 10:20 PM
I don't have any knowledge or advice to give when it comes to bangs. But when it comes to making sure you just get a trim I recommend making sure they know that you are growing your hair out upfront. Emphasize that you just want xx amount off to even things up or clean up ends or whatever and that you don't want any layers added. I've not had a bad experience, but I've also tried to make what I want real clear beforehand. I also recommend sticking with someone if they do a good job.

Ylva
January 18th, 2019, 10:21 PM
Ngl, I thought you were referring to Chernobyl and I was a little lost. I just googled her and I'm really glad I did!! Her hair is amazing!!! :O

Hahah, long hair + bangs, only in Chernobyl.

JEMTheNerd
January 18th, 2019, 10:25 PM
Thank you so much!! I'll definitely be sure to be clear that I'm growing my hair out, and no layers!!

JEMTheNerd
January 18th, 2019, 10:26 PM
Ya never know in Chernobyl! Hahaha!

peachplumpear
January 18th, 2019, 11:45 PM
Be VERY clear about exactly how much you want trimmed off the ends!

As far as bangs and long hair go, of course it can look good! I've had long (longest/current length being mid-back) hair and bangs for years. While the bangs be a pain, I look so much better with them that I just can't bring myself to grow them out. My best tip is to find photos of exactly what kid of bangs you want. Try to find as many photo examples as you can to show your stylist, and be picky. If you use Instagram, there are SO many good inspiration photos. Korean hair accounts are good for thinner, wispier bangs while French style accounts often have great examples of thicker curtain and blunt bangs. Be open minded and honest with your stylist about what level of maintenance you are able and willing to put into your bangs. A good stylist won't let you end up with "unflattering" or impossible to style bangs. Be prepared to schedule trims often or get comfortable trimming them yourself. If you do self-trim, maybe ask your stylist for advice, lurk around youtube, and ALWAYS point your scissors vertically when you trim. Trust me, this is important and much more forgiving than just cutting straight across.

I don't usually heat style most of my hair, but sometimes I do need to blow-dry my bangs if they nee to be washed in the morning. I've found the best and quickest method is this (https://youtu.be/-7Rrcjy6TDM) one. I don't even use a nozzle on my blowdryer, and I blow my bangs straight back for a few seconds to give them a little more volume and texture. Also, dry shampoo will be your friend!

Begemot
January 19th, 2019, 02:12 AM
I haven't had long hair and bangs before but I'm going for that look now :) just remember that you're committing to more or less regular trims and daily styling, it's not for everyone and even my lazy butt often just puts my bangs up with little claw clips or I'll braid my bangs away if they're long enough.
For the trimming appointment... just try be very clear about what you want. Tell them you're growing your hair and you just want a light trim. Show them exactly what that means to you. I don't think you can do much more to make sure you get what you want. You could also ask their opinion about what kind of bangs would suit your face and go with that. Google your face shape + bangs and see what everyone recommends and see what you like.

BTW I checked your profile and I love your hair color! It's so pretty!

Cate36
January 19th, 2019, 03:26 AM
SooOOOoOOOo, since I was about 13 (*cough* and started watching anime *cough*) I've wanted bangs. Well 6 smackin years later, I made my hair appointment. Now, for those of you who know me, ya know I shaved my head and donated like 3 feet of hair 2 years ago. I've been growing my hair out since then, and if you view my album, it's about just past my shoulders. My hair appointment is Thursday and lemme just say I am frickin scared. I don't wanna cut too much off in a spur of the moment kinda thing, but I do desperately need a trim as my last trim was February 2018 just before I joined swim team. I'm also scared the stylist will cut too much of the length off, or I'll look absolutely terrible with bangs. Do bangs look good with really long hair? Does anyone with long hair have bangs? What's your advice on how to make sure the stylist doesn't do more than a trim? I know I still want very long hair, I'm just scared of losing more than an inch of total length. I suppose I'm a bit scared because the last time I went to a salon, I showed the lady a faux hawk and said "buzz me my guy," and finished with a "toodle" to my 3 feet of split ended hair. I take so much better care of my hair now, and have come to really love it. Oh, another reason I'm torn. My hair makes rather nice ringlets of wavy-almost-curls at this length, and I don't wanna have flat, volume less hair as I did when it was long, and I refuse use heat on my hair (although I'll have to on my bangs I imagine.) You guys are like hair pros, is there any advice I can get about bangs, and hair trims? :) Thank you so much!!!

Yes for SURE they do! I should send you a private pic... I'm growing mine out at the moment because I can't mentally bring scissors to my hair after what happened... but have had bangs and long hair for a long time.. really depends on the shape of your face.. I have quite a long face, so bangs frame it well..

LizzyGrant
January 19th, 2019, 07:48 AM
I love long hair with bangs :heart: My hair is not very long at the moment (almost APL) but I want to grow it at least to hip length. I have those Korean style see through bangs. I've had long hair and bangs many times before. I like to wear my hair up a lot and bangs make updos look cute so that's a plus as well :) I trim my bangs myself and they don't really need styling. My bangs are quite wispy so I can just brush them out of my face if I don't feel like having them all the time.

lapushka
January 19th, 2019, 07:51 AM
For bangs, IMMHO, you need to see how oily your hair is or you will be washing/styling them *constantly* and that gets old... fast! It's going to be a nice "novelty" then, but... If OTOH you can go a week without washing, then it's sort of ideal.

spidermom
January 19th, 2019, 08:45 AM
When you get your hair cut, don't drift off into la-la land. You have to watch the stylist. If you don't want layers, the stylist should be combing your hair straight down and cutting across the bottom. Pulling your hair out at an angle means layers.

Also, I notice you have ii thickness. Keep in mind that bangs are going to reduce the thickness, but how much depends on how thick the bangs are.

ponine
January 19th, 2019, 12:12 PM
I have bangs and my hair is around APL. Personally I love them, mine are not so blunt, the youtuber loepsie has very similar bangs. They are easy to trim by myself too.

I think they go well with long hair. And in my case I don't wear makeup so I feel like I need bangs to frame my face. I also have phases of not liking my eyebrows so they are very handy there as well.

gustavonut
January 19th, 2019, 12:15 PM
My hair is not long but I’ve decided I’ll keep my bangs for a long time :D

Spar
January 19th, 2019, 12:48 PM
My hair isn't super long (a little longer than waist now) and I have side swept bangs with face framing layers :) The shortest part of the bang starts right below my eye while the longest part goes past my nose (...I think I need a trim lol)

I usually have to style them everyday (flat iron or blow-dry), flexible hold hairspray just on the bang helps to secure the style. They can get greasy or "flat" looking a lot faster than the rest of my hair, if I'm stretching a wash, then I will shampoo the bang only.

I have to get them trimmed every month or so, I get mine done at a salon and they only charge me $5 for bangs only. Not too bad. Occasionally my hair dresser cuts shorter than I wanted, but bangs grow so fast that I don't even mind.

MusicalSpoons
January 19th, 2019, 02:19 PM
Bangs and long hair, in case you were still not sure: http://691superlonghair.blogspot.com/2018/10/length-pictures-in-sunflower-field.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=haartraum&safe=strict&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=visn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjXjrKx4frfAhWDr3EKHQM2AaQQ_AUoAnoECAYQA g&biw=800&bih=1280#imgdii=kbCwPaSg1GZQSM:&imgrc=o1ITDj6RnNYTGM: (apologies for the awfully long link)

:)

JEMTheNerd
January 19th, 2019, 03:22 PM
I have TONS of pictures and am gonna be getting see through bangs! Thank you for the trimming tip! I'll definitely be incorporating my own hands to keep my bangs trimmed hahaha.

Capybara
January 20th, 2019, 02:15 AM
I always think of Deepika Padukone’s hair 10 years ago or so. About TBL with wispy bangs - so pretty!

LizzyGrant
January 20th, 2019, 02:22 AM
I have bangs and my hair is around APL. Personally I love them, mine are not so blunt, the youtuber loepsie has very similar bangs. They are easy to trim by myself too.

I think they go well with long hair. And in my case I don't wear makeup so I feel like I need bangs to frame my face. I also have phases of not liking my eyebrows so they are very handy there as well.

Loepsie's bangs are so cute :D Because of her I was also inspired to get bangs 2 years ago. She also has lots of videos about bangs in her channel if anyone is interested.

Dark40
January 22nd, 2019, 06:46 PM
I have WL hair with bangs, and I've been loving them! :D You can have long hair or super long hair with bangs. I know that I'm going to no matter what. Just tell the stylist that you are growing out your hair, and all you want to trim is a little bit. Or, what you can do is trim it yourself if you feel comfortable doing that. I know that everyone isn't comfortable doing self-trim, and self-trims are very easy. It is best to do them when your hair is dry. I trim my hair when it's dry rather than wet.

Afanen
January 22nd, 2019, 08:29 PM
I have WL hair and pretty short baby bangs! I just trim them myself because they grow to annoying places within a couple weeks. I think bangs really compliment updos a lot!

Glitch
January 23rd, 2019, 07:12 AM
I have full side bangs. I have a love-hate relationship with them though - I’m always cutting them or growing them out! They’re cute but a lot of maintenance. I hope you end up enjoying them if you did go ahead with it! PS when I get sick of mine, I flip my hair to the other side and then it looks like I don’t have bangs at all, so there’s that route too (strategic bang-cutting) :)

Alila
January 24th, 2019, 04:16 AM
I have side swept bangs with a few face framing pieces. The rest of my hair is FTL. I love my bangs. I think it they make my updos and braids look a lot softer.

My bangs look greasy a lot faster than the rest of my hair so I wash them in the sink whenever I feel like it.
Occasonally I heat style my bangs with a blow drier but generally I just need to comb them into place while they are still wet.