PDA

View Full Version : Your mood and your hair/hairstyle.

JackintheBox
January 18th, 2019, 12:46 PM
Long hair is definitely flexible and I can adapt it to what I'm doing, but a coworker also made a comment yesterday that suggested it seems to correlate with my mood as well. She asked how I was doing because I was "wearing my grumpy hair." So apparently a low bun means I'm in a foul mood. I've thought about it and I think that on some level its probably true. Bad mood equals less patience to braid or deal with loose hair, so bun. And perhaps I subconsciously position it differently since I don't generally tie my hair at my nape. :shrug:

Wondered if other have noticed any similar correlations?

AmaryllisRed
January 18th, 2019, 12:52 PM
My cousin once commented that my hairstyle (a French braided bun) said, "I am getting things done today," and that it looks like efficiency.
I hadn't consciously done that but it was in line with my mood.
Interesting.
I also think I do double braids or space buns when I'm happy and optimistic and full of energy.
Low braids when I'm tired or stressed.
I don't do low buns because wispies poke me in the neck.

blackgothicdoll
January 18th, 2019, 01:00 PM
I don't have a lot of style variety at this point...

Sloppy high bun: I'm sick
Sock bun: I was running late / I have an important meeting / I'm on duty
Dutch braids down: This is all I'm able to do and I'm at the airport or grocery shopping
Dutch braids pinned up halo-style: This is all I'm able to do and I'm not at the airport or grocery shopping
Straightened: I've got a hot date i don't straighten my hair anymore

Since they've adjusted uniform regulations for my branch, I can get away with the two dutch braids pinned up almost all of the time.

milosmomma
January 18th, 2019, 01:26 PM
I think dutch/french braids do give off the vibe of "getting it done" just because of how secure and intricate looking they are. I wouldn't say I do it on purpose but I can see how it would be interpreted that way. I can see how a low bun that takes a little less effort to make would be seen as a "grumpy" style too, like we just threw it up quickly in a bah humbug type fashion lol. I feel like dutch braids, being my favorite hair style right now, make me feel in a better mood when I wear them. They give me more self esteem because they dont draw attention to the big patches of baby hair at my temples too :p

GrowlingCupcake
January 18th, 2019, 01:26 PM
I like braided buns, and high buns/ponies/braids when I have to clean (braided for messy work, high otherwise), but other than that, I think it's just split between whether or not I have the spoons for a neat bun (hair detangled, crown combed/brushed, bun neat) or whether I'm just sticking it in a claw clip or making a messy bun because I'm sick/in pain/etc. (not/partially detangled, couldn't care less if anything is neat).

Cg
January 18th, 2019, 01:49 PM
From The Curmudgeon's Corner: I don't care how my hair looks because I needn't look at it. All that matters is that it stay up, so whatever bun manages that is my style du jour.

-Fern
January 18th, 2019, 03:05 PM
I usually choose my style based on my hair's mood, actually... :lol:

If it's the day before wash day and kinda oily, I do a French braid (then it just looks "sleek," haha...)

If my hair is behaving well, maybe a ponytail or easygoing bun.
If my hair is being unruly, I slick it down and beat it into submission with a marine bun (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29029&d=1510424058). :horse:

lapushka
January 18th, 2019, 03:11 PM
Long hair is definitely flexible and I can adapt it to what I'm doing, but a coworker also made a comment yesterday that suggested it seems to correlate with my mood as well. She asked how I was doing because I was "wearing my grumpy hair." So apparently a low bun means I'm in a foul mood. I've thought about it and I think that on some level its probably true. Bad mood equals less patience to braid or deal with loose hair, so bun. And perhaps I subconsciously position it differently since I don't generally tie my hair at my nape. :shrug:

Wondered if other have noticed any similar correlations?

That just made me LOL! :lol:

OMG, that people notice things like this!

I wear a Nautilus when I'm up - all the time, that bun never changes, nor does the placement change. I used to wear a LWB (lazy wrap bun) all the time until due to length I switched to a Nautilus. Same placement, day in, day out.

And my mood *varies* - you better believe it! LOL!

JennGalt
January 18th, 2019, 08:38 PM
Haha!

A high nautilus bun means I’m feeling tired or lazy. If there’s a hair tie placed around it to prevent it from undoing itself, I’m tired enough to fall asleep.

A Low LWB or side English braid means I need or want to look somewhat presentable, but the 4ish hair around my hairline isn’t cooperating. These styles allow me to tuck miscreant sections underneath others. A side rope braid is similar, but I wanted to look like I put a bit more effort into my appearance.

A french braid or elling woman are indications of a headache that won’t go away.

A sleek LWB halfway between my nape and crown with two matching hairsticks means I have company coming or it’s date night.

A high bun means nothing unless it is a nautilus (see above) or accompanied by a large amount of frizz, which may mean I’m depressed and don’t care how I look.

Down can mean a few things. I could be air drying. The coarse, 4ish frizz around my hairline might have won that day, and I’m using the naturally wild appearance of my hair to make it seem on purpose. Or I may be hanging out with my punk/metalhead friends, who seem to think my hair’s bizarre wave/curl pattern and general unruliness is “badass.”

JackintheBox
January 18th, 2019, 10:12 PM
Overall I agree with you all that is mostly has to do with what I'm doing and how my hair is behaving (which I suppose can affect my mood). But I did think it was a funny observation. I had never considered people interpreting my hairstyle as meaning anything more since I already standout as a guy.

I feel like I'm not all that different from anyone else with when I choose various styles. My current go to hairstyle is an english braid which I feel looks presentable for most things and its pretty low maintenance since it holds real well all day. I use a cinnabun if I need to look particularly professional, or I just need it all up because its bothering me or is too hot. It's also my go to date style since its a bit more understated. If I am having a good hair day and feel like mixing it up I wear a ponytail tied mid-height (if that makes sense). I usually wear it loose after work when I am relaxing at home, but I'll actually wear it down occasionally to go out with friends. On days where I don't have anywhere to be then I usually keep it in a loose or in a low ponytail and sometimes I'll leave a practice attempt at something in or wear something I don't feel comfortable wearing out.

lithostoic
January 19th, 2019, 10:19 AM
Not even a little. Some days when I am not feeling so good I purposely do my hair nice to make myself feel better. But oftentimes I do not.

cjk
January 19th, 2019, 11:20 AM
I've never noticed a correlation for myself, usually too pressed for time to express emotions through my hair.

But years ago I noticed that I dress opposite my mood, if I was glum I'd be wearing a sunny yellow for instance.

Capybara
January 19th, 2019, 11:51 AM
My hairstyle is directly related to the last time I washed my hair. If my hair is down, I washed it today. If it is bunned, I washed it yesterday. If it is braided, it has been at least 2 days since my last wash. If I’m feeling unmotivated or lazy I won’t wash my hair, which leads to more intricate looking but grease-hiding styles. I suppose this is related to mood in a way.

HaMalka
January 19th, 2019, 05:41 PM
Yesterday's braid in a LWB: I am way to busy or I am sick
Today's Braid in a LWB: Not in any particular mood
Braided Cinnamon Bun: Either nervous or cheery
Fake Crown Braid: Cheerful, energetic, fancy feeling
Other: Energetic or bored

These are some correlations I've noticed.

yahirwaO.o
January 19th, 2019, 11:34 PM
I only have it up when im focus, busy or depressed ( yeah i can't deal with my hair down and be all sad and feeling hopeless :( ) Pretty much that's why I cant stand the comments on how good and masculine i look with my hair up, even though it has good intentions.

Im a hippie at heart, so I just like having it down and middle parted doing its thing and flowy. I like double braids and buns because it screams fun and sometimes cheer me up while keeping it out of my face. Damn I agree on the french dutch brading situation, people take for granted i spent ages on my hair, unfortunately I hate how my face looks with hair pulled back or braided.

yahirwaO.o
January 19th, 2019, 11:35 PM
I only have it up when im focus, busy or depressed ( yeah i can't deal with my hair down and be all sad and feeling hopeless :( ) Pretty much that's why I cant stand the comments on how good and masculine i look with my hair up, even though it has good intentions.

Im a hippie at heart, so I just like having it down and middle parted doing its thing and flowy. I feel peaceful, attractive and free when down. I like double braids and buns because it screams fun and sometimes cheer me up while keeping it out of my face. Damn I agree on the french dutch brading situation, people take for granted i spent ages on my hair, unfortunately I hate how my face looks with hair pulled back or braided.

SORRY DOUBLE POST :O

Katsura
January 20th, 2019, 12:00 AM
My mood and hairstyle don't have any connection. I'm pretty much set in my ways, a nautilus bun is my go-to style, it's quick and secured with two claw clips it will stay on as long as I want it. I may do a braided bun too, that's like me making an effort. Or a french braid bunned. :D If there's a special occasion I do a different hairstyle, maybe watch some tutorial from the youtube. I'm not very good at doing my own hair, I don't try anything too difficult, because that might cause too much distressing with hair and I don't like that.

MamaLou
January 20th, 2019, 07:16 AM
My hair is mainly in a half up, a LWB, braid/pigtail braids, or it is down. I definitely express my mood with my hair (but not on purpose).

LWB: Most days I wear a LWB. If I'm wearing my usual rose gold u-pin it is an average day, if I'm wearing something else I'm trying to be pretty so my mood is probably really good.
down: I'm at home (or feel at home) and I'm relaxing (when I'm relaxing I need to take my shoes off and put my hair down, strange habit xD) or I'm air drying my hair.
half up: I'm usually very energetic and flirty when I'm wearing my hair in a half up, probably because this is my going out hairstyle.
braid/pigtail braids: I'm sleeping or traveling and I want to be able to lay down comfortably.
any other style: I'm probably very insecure about my hair not staying in place, you'll see me switch to a LWB really really soon.

edit: because I can't english

young&reckless
January 20th, 2019, 07:51 AM
The higher the bun the sassier I am. I never thought about it before but I also tend to wear my hair in neater buns or braids when cranky and looser more free styles when happy.