PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair Motivation!

guywithlonghair
January 17th, 2019, 10:31 PM
Hey everyone, I haven't been on here in quite a while. So, last year I grew my hair out for the first time through my first semester of college last year. I absolutely loved it; it was awesome! I was arguably done with the awkward stage and was able to pull it back into a bun (expect for the hairs in the front). It was just under my lips. I loved the look and was planning on growing it until it was at least to my waist because I love the look of it.

https://s3.r29static.com//bin/entry/...9954/image.jpg <<< it looked almost identical to this (except not nearly as greasy)

Suddenly I got a random urge to cut it and instead of waiting the urge out, I went and got it chopped. It was definitely one of the worst decisions of my life. Since then I have thought about growing it back and have tried to once and recently got it cut again because I despise the awkward stage. I know for a fact that I have always wanted long hair ever since I was a little kid and I really enjoyed having it last year and felt very comfortable wearing it in buns and down in public. I guess what I need is a little motivation to kickstart my journey again. Please enlighten me on why having longer hair is so great! I'd love to hear what everyone has to say.

P.S. Please don't give me the answer of just do it if it makes you happy because I already know it will, its just the issue of starting the process all over again.

Reyn127
January 18th, 2019, 01:25 AM
Welcome back here :)

For me, it’s a combination of I like the way long hair feels, I like the way it looks, and as someone who has shaved her head a couple of times, I’m now interested in exploring the opposite end of the hair length spectrum.

One of my favorite feelings of growing out my hair was reaching shoulder, and feeling my hair swish on my shoulders and around my neck and upper back. That’s a great feeling. I also kind of like being a little different than your average person, and impressing others with my length and my “fancy” hairstick buns and all that. Hehehe.

For your hair, have you tried bobby Pins to help with the awkward growing stage? They can really help hold shorter pieces of hair in place, and they come in a range of colors to blend in.

Begemot
January 18th, 2019, 04:01 AM
Sorry but the link doesn't show image to me :confused:

lapushka
January 18th, 2019, 10:27 AM
We just had this one:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148617

Maybe you'll find some inspiration there!

JackintheBox
January 18th, 2019, 10:28 AM
I can relate as a guy who always wanted long hair. I stalled in the awkward stage a few times before making it through. What really kept me going was how badly I knew I wanted long hair and how much I hated getting hair cuts. I always felt horrible when I gave in and cut my hair. The biggest thing for me IS that I am happier and feel like myself with long hair. Some of that includes the feeling of my hair on my back or the variety that it allows when it comes to style. At shorter lengths there were a lot of milestones to hit, and I am goal oriented and got a lot of satisfaction from reaching those. You've already had a good experience so I'd just hold on to that and what you miss and go for it.

BerrySara
January 18th, 2019, 11:10 AM
For me I have always loved the look of long hair but never knew how to grow it past APL because I was chemically straightening my hair multiple times a year in addition to dying it and applying heat almost daily! And I never really did any deep conditioning treatments or add leave ins/oils to help my hair. I just thought somewhere between CBL and APL is as long as its ever going to get for me. Looking back now I have no idea how I even was able to grow past SL.

Now with my natural hair growing out (very curly) I really want long hair because I genuinely think it will be easier to manage. With short curly hair I have to constantly fuss over the curls and aim for defined ringlets that sit and frame my face properly, doesn't stick out in weird shapes or curl oddly etc. With longer hair, the curls get weighed down and become stretched at the roots and around my face while still getting pretty ringlets at the ends. The shape becomes more consistent and it will allow me to do more styles like braids and updos. Also, I think its less common to see very curly hair down to WL so I am looking forward to having a unique look.

Dark40
January 18th, 2019, 12:08 PM
For me I've always love the look and feel of long hair but never knew how to grow it past MBL because I was chemically straightening it very often during the year in addition to dyeing it also around the same times I was chemically straightening it. I occasionally used heat which was twice a week! I've always believed in deep conditioning treatments and using good moisturizing conditioners. I've also believed in doing protein treatments as well, and keeping it well-moisturized with oils and leave-ins to help my hair.

Now I'm still chemically straightening my hair because I find it to be more manageable for me rather than my naturally curly/wavy hair, and I prefer it to be straight all of the time rather than curly.

dyna
January 19th, 2019, 07:13 PM
Why have long hair? Because it's fun, or it amuses you. Maybe a hobby, or you like the image. Being a guy, you're breaking stereotypes (and probably annoying the conformists, but you can't please everybody). Women will start commenting on your hair (not all will be as positive as the folks here, but most will probably be). In my case, I like using barrettes (have a fairly large collection) as ponytail holders, and those get comments. Hair toys can be fun. Long hair keeps your ears warm in the winter, which is a plus if you're in a cold area. It feels good on your back. Don't fixate on it until it's actually long enough to do stuff with (I just didn't get a haircut for about 3 years). Don't take it too seriously, just enjoy it.

Personally, I'm a bit longer than APL. Long enough to bun if I've got to crawl under a car or work with rotating machinery, not quite long enough to be able to pull off braids or nice buns with hair sticks. There are probably limits to how long I will let it grow, because at some point it would start being a hassle to care for, and I'm lazy. I don't have the single-minded dedication that some folks here seem to have. But I'll let it grow until that happens, if it doesn't get too thin (I'm an old fart, my advice is enjoy it while your hair is still young).

CopperButterfly
January 20th, 2019, 07:30 AM
I think it's clear you know you like long hair. :)

I think you should join the no trim challenge for 2019. And then anytime you're feeling discouraged there will be a bunch of people to help you not cut. Then by the end of the year you'll have around 6 inches of growth and that much closer to your goal.

cjk
January 20th, 2019, 12:36 PM
But the right answer, particularly since you're a guy, really IS to just do it because you want to!

Okay, the vast majority who complain about the awkward stage do so because they don't know how to style it at that length. So my question to you is what level of hairstyling you're able to accomplish?

I've been twisting and braiding since my hair was long enough to do so. A French twist is easy. And to handle the flyaways, Bobby pins that match your color are a godsend.

What ACTUALLY is the problem you have with the growing out process? Awkward is just too vague to address, specifically.

Let's figure out an actual solution, something that will let you power through!