PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Drying Your Hair Using a Household Fan?

BerrySara
January 17th, 2019, 11:21 AM
Hi everyone,

I have been seeing lately in the curly hair community that some long haired curlies are using a household pedestal fan to dry their hair which can otherwise take a good part of a full day to dry.

Their reasoning is no heat is applied unlike if using a diffuser on low heat and it saves a ton of time compared to air drying. As well as its much easier and more convenient than having to hold up the diffuser for an hour or so (curly hair seems to take forever to dry!). They can just sit in front of the fan, hands free and let it do its thing while they are on a laptop, phone, tv, whatever.

I thought this all sounded great and purchased myself a pedestal fan and have been drying it this way for past two washes. My hair was dry in 45min or less which was amazing with lots of volume without much frizz. However, I did notice my ends felt a bit drier and more to prone to tangle in the following days...

It has made me wonder if the airflow would be similar to say having your hair down on a windy day where it may be causing a lot of extra motion which could lead to rubbing strands and tangles? I did have the fan setting on the lowest speed. What are your thoughts in general for using a fan to dry hair?

My goal is growing my hair long and to retain as much length as possible so I want to make sure I am not inadvertently doing more damage to my ends just to avoid using low heat from the diffuser.

milosmomma
January 17th, 2019, 11:28 AM
My goal is the same as yours, grow long and retain as much as possible. That said I do not think you are doing much damage with the fan. If you are feeling dry matbe start off adding oil or some moisture product to the ends before drying?
I do a similar thing to you but I use a small space heater on low setting which is just barely warm and then just sit still in front of it watching tv or on the laptop for 30 min or so. I also felt it was more drying so I have been tryimg a leave in conditioner and have felt more moisturised the last few times. I dont know if it will have long term damage effect but I only plan to do this during the cold winter months as I hate freezing under wet hair!

Ylva
January 17th, 2019, 11:41 AM
I second the leave-in & oil advice. I don't think it does any terrible damage. Some damage is just a part of normal life.

For me it would only work in the summer. Otherwise, it would make me way too cold to have a fan on anywhere near me.

ExpectoPatronum
January 17th, 2019, 11:46 AM
I've used a fan to jumpstart the drying process but I've never dried my hair to completion while sitting in front of the fan. I didn't notice anymore tangling or drying than usual.

Reyn127
January 17th, 2019, 11:52 AM
In my experience, drying hair near a fan is a pretty good method. But I’ve found that any artificial stream of air tends to make my ends drier no matter what, unless I oil them. If possible, try to dry more of your scalp and leave your ends more damp, that usually helps me.

mica
January 17th, 2019, 12:03 PM
I had a similar experience to yours, back when I had long hair. My ends would pretty much feel like I've let my hair down in the wind. I'm not too prone to tangles, but my ends did feel dry.
That being said, I don't think the fan is really damaging, it's just that my ends would dry really fast it they weren't up and hidden in a bun or other protective style. What ultimately worked best for me was to use a hair dryer in a low/no heat setting, concentrating on the scalp and some of the length but leaving the ends alone, then putting my hair up.

EdG
January 17th, 2019, 01:01 PM
I use a fan to dry my hair in less time during the summer. I have been doing that for years.
Ed

BerrySara
January 17th, 2019, 03:13 PM
Thank you all, I really appreciate it!

I now feel confident to continue to use a fan to dry my hair and I certainly will try both oiling my ends as well as focusing on drying my roots primarily!

Cate36
January 17th, 2019, 03:35 PM
I've done it many times. I have a habit of hanging my head upside down off the bed, when reading (in the hope inversion will increase growth - so book or phone propped upside down, and me reading .. you get the idea). Anyway, when I wash I sometimes do this to air dry my hair, hang upside down, aim a fan at my head, and read.. it's nice.. my hair looks fuller and fluffier, and I can relax and read whilst it's happening.. no hurry, no stress..

Cate36
January 17th, 2019, 03:41 PM
if it's any help. or reassurance this woman https://www.instagram.com/sidorovaanastasiya/ uses cold air on her hair to dry it. She's a trichologist as well. Doesn't seem to be doing her any harm :) Her only advice re drying with heat (if you ever do that), is to allow hair to dry 60% before doing it, and use a protector spray to limit damage.

Milkchocolate
January 21st, 2019, 07:02 PM
I totally support using fans as a drying method! It’s so efficient ❤️ I could not picture myself without it. It would take my hair over 8 hrs to dry without it!

My hair simply does not like regular blow dryers. They’re too small, take forever, and after using them they leave an odd texture in my hair..like hay and wispy.

But I definitely do think tangles are more likely to happen because of the way your hair is wrapping around and moving because of the air. To combat that, I pause halfway through while it’s in between damp and dry, and detangle with a spray. Then use a serum/ oil. It really helps :) it’s also great for volume when you’re hanging your hair down off the bed for example :) love my fan!! ❤️

Glitch
January 21st, 2019, 08:53 PM
I totally support using fans as a drying method! It’s so efficient ❤️ I could not picture myself without it. It would take my hair over 8 hrs to dry without it!

Same here! Love my fans, including even room temperature warmer ones. It's basically assisted air drying. Oh and all the volume after I flip my partially damp hair upside down in that fake breeze, love it. :p

Julescarm
January 21st, 2019, 09:33 PM
If I want to dry my hair fast ill use a fan on low/medium. To keep it from tangling I usually comb it while it's drying or hold the length still and rotate it with my hand.

GrowlingCupcake
January 21st, 2019, 11:41 PM
When I lived in the tropics, there was always a fan and/or an air conditioner now. Now, in summer (and parts of spring/autumn), there is always a fan and/or air conditioner on. Even in winter, I frequently use fans to dry my hair as it's much better than ice forming immediately on my wet hair (happens often when I am impatient or in a hurry).

I have not noticed any significant breakage, tangles, etc. from this method of drying.