PDA

View Full Version : Flaxseed gel as leave in

cestlavie
January 16th, 2019, 03:04 PM
I was wondering if there are people on this forum who have used flaxseed gel as a leave in. I know it is used a lot for curls and waves to define them. Since I have 1b hair and don't really need definition, I wonder if there are fellow 1b/1c's using this gel as a softening/detangling/shine promoting leave in? Does it get crunchy or hard? Does it weigh your hair down? How much do you use and do you use it with oils and/or creams? Please let me know!

Cate36
January 16th, 2019, 03:35 PM
I take it internally.. but not used it on hair.. anyone else?

blackgothicdoll
January 16th, 2019, 05:34 PM
It has tons of slip when first applying it, but in my experience it dried very hard. When I used it more sparingly, I didn't have this problem, but of course, not as much slip either. I used it on top of a leave-in. Not heavy at all.

cestlavie
January 17th, 2019, 04:06 AM
It has tons of slip when first applying it, but in my experience it dried very hard. When I used it more sparingly, I didn't have this problem, but of course, not as much slip either. I used it on top of a leave-in. Not heavy at all.

I'm going to try it with a leave in and not using tooo much gel.

cestlavie
January 17th, 2019, 08:34 AM
Update: i used a little bit with my regular leave in and it works like a charm! Very happy with it! :)

TatsuOni
January 18th, 2019, 09:37 AM
I use flaxseed and aloe vera gel in my hair and follow up with oil. It works great for me! :)

lapushka
January 18th, 2019, 09:43 AM
This is something I never made myself, gel. I have tried aloe vera gel, but the hold on that is way too soft. I basically use Eco Styler or New Wave or Nivea or Aldi/Lidl gel. They are all great, especially the Aldi & Lidl gels, for the money, they rock.

TatsuOni
January 18th, 2019, 09:55 AM
This is something I never made myself, gel. I have tried aloe vera gel, but the hold on that is way too soft. I basically use Eco Styler or New Wave or Nivea or Aldi/Lidl gel. They are all great, especially the Aldi & Lidl gels, for the money, they rock.

I don't use it for hold. I use it for moisture. My hair absorbs big amounts of it.

Xxanderia
January 22nd, 2019, 07:14 AM
I’ve seen great things about flaxseed gel as a leave in. I believe there are a few videos on YouTube showing how it helps waves stay in hair, etc. I would like to try it myself, providing I can find the recipe on here.

FaeBroom
February 13th, 2021, 03:49 PM
Bumping this thread, because I pretty much have the same question as OP (no curl definition needed) and was wondering if anyone could update this with experiences using flaxseed gel as a leave in. My hair is very tangly and I was wondering if I could use it for slip and moisture.

knobbly
February 13th, 2021, 04:09 PM
Bumping this thread, because I pretty much have the same question as OP (no curl definition needed) and was wondering if anyone could update this with experiences using flaxseed gel as a leave in. My hair is very tangly and I was wondering if I could use it for slip and moisture.

I use watered down FSG and sometimes okra gel sprayed on as a leave in prior to sealing moisture in with oil/butter. It gives nice shine and no hold in my hair (which is what I want!)

melesine
February 17th, 2021, 12:54 PM
I’ve used aloe vera from a freshly cut leaf.

veryhairyfairy
February 18th, 2021, 02:54 PM
Today I made and tried flaxseed gel as a leave in, it's great! It adds a ton of slip and there's a small amount of hold but not nearly as much as fruit of the earth aloe gel gives (and no flakes either). I really love Kinky Curly's Knot Today leave in detangler but I always feel like it adds too much of a coating and makes my hair look dull- this felt almost exactly like that product but had none of the stickiness and dulling properties.

I put 2 Tbsp flax seeds in 1 Cup water and boiled for maybe 5 minutes (until it was slightly less thick than egg white consistency) and strained through a metal sieve as soon as it was off the heat, no problems with straining or cleanup. Looks like it made about 1/2 Cup gel (more of a gloopy liquid actually). I used about 1 Tbsp on my post-wash shoulder length hair, it was so slippery afterward it was kind of hard to braid!

I froze it in an ice cube tray in single servings, definitely do not leave this out at room temp for more than a day or two :)

StrawberryGOLD
February 18th, 2021, 04:40 PM
I love flax seed gel I just wish it wasn't a PITA to make and that it lasted longer as i'm all about conveinience however to each their own, that aside I love that it doesn't make the hair crunchy and brought out some ringlets in my wavy hair that I had no idea I had as well as just making my hair frizz free in general.

knobbly
February 18th, 2021, 08:53 PM
You can always add a preservative to FSG and it will last longer. Lots of folks use Optiphen Plus which you can buy on Amazon.

Feral_
February 19th, 2021, 02:44 AM
Today I made and tried flaxseed gel as a leave in, it's great! It adds a ton of slip and there's a small amount of hold but not nearly as much as fruit of the earth aloe gel gives (and no flakes either). I really love Kinky Curly's Knot Today leave in detangler but I always feel like it adds too much of a coating and makes my hair look dull- this felt almost exactly like that product but had none of the stickiness and dulling properties.

I put 2 Tbsp flax seeds in 1 Cup water and boiled for maybe 5 minutes (until it was slightly less thick than egg white consistency) and strained through a metal sieve as soon as it was off the heat, no problems with straining or cleanup. Looks like it made about 1/2 Cup gel (more of a gloopy liquid actually). I used about 1 Tbsp on my post-wash shoulder length hair, it was so slippery afterward it was kind of hard to braid!

I froze it in an ice cube tray in single servings, definitely do not leave this out at room temp for more than a day or two :)

Sounds ideal! Good it worked for you. Good tip using the ice cube tray.

FaeBroom
February 19th, 2021, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the answers everyone! And the ideas on how to preserve it- always very helpful. I use so little product that it would be so time consuming to make natural/DIY things like this every time I need it.

veryhairyfairy
February 19th, 2021, 08:49 AM
You can always add a preservative to FSG and it will last longer. Lots of folks use Optiphen Plus which you can buy on Amazon.

It's been so long since I've made my own products, I didn't realize I could just get a preservative on Amazon, thanks!

After sleeping in the braids my hair is crazy shiny and soft and moisturized and easy to finger comb- I love this stuff!

MadelineMomo
February 19th, 2021, 07:33 PM
I used it for a while, when I was trying to make my wavy hair curly. It sort of worked I guess? Not enough to make it worthwhile for me, and I'm not trying to make my hair do a texture anymore. But y'know, I still generally think flaxseed gel is a good thing; I'm a fan.

knobbly
February 19th, 2021, 07:36 PM
It's been so long since I've made my own products, I didn't realize I could just get a preservative on Amazon, thanks!

After sleeping in the braids my hair is crazy shiny and soft and moisturized and easy to finger comb- I love this stuff!

Honestly I’m thinking of making some myself after this thread! :lol: I stopped using it since I no longer try to coax wave out of my hair (too heavy now that it’s long) but the level of moisture it imparted was really nice. So maybe I’ll take my own advice and add some preservative to my Amazon cart! Lol.