PDA

View Full Version : Cut my own bangs... Turned out not so good. Lol.

gustavonut
January 15th, 2019, 05:21 PM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35074&d=1547597864

Look, let’s just say I was watching too many videos on YouTube and now I’m stuck with this for a while lol. Thank god my boyfriend is so supportive (he says it looks great :toast:)
But hey, this is a learning experience and now I know NOT to do it like that! Thankfully I don’t go out that often, haha.

Anybody else have any spur of the moment bangs disasters? I’d love to hear your stories! ;)

Ylva
January 15th, 2019, 05:25 PM
I think it looks cute! :)

Cate36
January 15th, 2019, 05:27 PM
I am growing my fringe out at the moment in an effort never to cut my hair ever ever again..

But yes! Have cut my fringe (bangs) many times (previous to the hair damage I did recently, I never went to hair dressers, and don't intend to make a habit of it!).. the worst is when you cut it too short, and have to wait for it to grow, so I an very careful to only trim it slightly and when dry, as it bounces up when dry compared to wet. But your hair looks great because it looks in such good condition! So it's not as bad as you think.. your BF is right xo

kidari
January 15th, 2019, 05:34 PM
It doesn't look bad! You might want to thin them out a bit... or just leave it alone. Up to you. The shape of the bangs suit you well. I had my share of horrible mistakes; I've been cutting my own hair for years. But it's all the mistakes along the way that make you learn. You can't improve if you don't try right?

I used to think that wispy baby hairs around the face was so cute so I used to razor them in myself with a razor you use to shave your legs lol. When you see the pictures of me with with my hair up and these faux baby hairs it looks so bad it's pretty funny actually.

Glitch
January 15th, 2019, 05:41 PM
You look like a doll! As for my bangs and I, yeah, I'm definitely always cutting them up lol, unfortunately, every time they're almost grown out. Like a vicious cycle! What I've done to fix this "need" is to give myself side bangs very carefully on just the one side. This way, whenever I part my hair on the other side, I don't have bangs anymore ;D Takes care of my indecisive thoughts and impulsive actions nicely.

blackgothicdoll
January 15th, 2019, 06:47 PM
I've cut 'side-bangs' at least 3 times, not realizing I was not cutting bangs, just cutting a chunk out of one side of my hair. The fact that I did that more than once over a span of ten years makes me really question my intelligence.

Did the straight-across bang too because it looked really good on this girl in a music video. I was not the girl in the music video though, thus it did not look good on me.

I actually went to the salon for that. First the lady seemed like she was trying to talk me out of it. Then she cut them and we both looked at me in the mirror in silence for a bit.

I (probably) won't do either of those things again. :o

Platzhalter
January 15th, 2019, 07:59 PM
Honestly... I've seen far, far worse. It looks good in general, at least if you like that type of hairstyle, so it only needs some adjustment re the few odd streaks and you're fine :)

lunasea
January 15th, 2019, 08:20 PM
I’d freaking kill for those bangs. Just so you know.

LaLola73
January 15th, 2019, 09:01 PM
Your bangs are good! I have done lots worse to mine, several times.

school of fish
January 15th, 2019, 10:13 PM
My spur of the moment bangs disaster? That time I decided that several drinks in at a house party was the right moment for a self-trim... Yours is far less disastrous, I assure you :)

I usually find that after a day or two post trim comes a kind of a softness to the way the hair falls. You may find that too, but as it is I think your bangs look quite darling :)

Jo Ann
January 15th, 2019, 11:02 PM
Hey, at least you got them even...me, well, let's just say I'm rarely (if at all) that lucky and leave it at that, shall we? :(

Nineteenbirds
January 15th, 2019, 11:12 PM
They may be a little shorter than you wanted them, but they look pretty well-done! So all you have to do is wait a little while for them to grow. And act like this is exactly how you intended them to be. Attitude is everything.

I learned the hard way never to trim my bangs when I was in a hurry. Also, once I was on vacation and all I had was a pair of kitchen scissors. My hair was hanging in my eyes and driving me crazy, but it was still a very bad idea.

Now when I notice my bangs are a little long I wet them down, take a little pinch at a time between my thumb and finger and just snip a tiny bit off using the middle part of the scissors blade on an angle. Not the kitchen scissors, the good ones! And then keep snipping tiny bits until I'm satisfied. It takes a little longer but I do it every few weeks and try really hard not to go too far. It took me years to figure out that I could do this. Sometimes I thin them a little bit, which gives them better shape, but that's rare.

Katsura
January 15th, 2019, 11:16 PM
They look very cute! I've had bangs all my life, I cut them mostly myself. Often I just grab my scissors because of boredom and snip away and it can turn out just about any way. They grow back fast, so It's no big deal for me.:)

poli
January 15th, 2019, 11:47 PM
They look good, please don't worry :)
I have a lot of times when I cut my bangs too short or uneven. Give it a week it will look softer.
The worst for me was when I accidentally cut into my brow and some lashes *facepalm*

Joules
January 16th, 2019, 12:46 AM
All my bangs disasters were usually cutting them a bit too short, but I cut them in a bit of an "arch" if that makes sense (when I had straight-across bangs), and short bangs never really looked bad on me. Besides, they grew back in a couple of weeks. If the disaster was particularly disastrous, I had to employ my braiding skills, and no one even knew that something went wrong in that department.

My very last trim of my bangs was the worst: the shortest pieces of my side-swept bangs were no more than 2 inches! Only half of my giant forehead, and when they were dry, they just stuck out weirdly instead of lying down to one side. That's when I thought if I could braid this into an effortless-looking hairstyle, I could braid anything. And I did.

None of those disasters never even came close to the disaster that a hairdresser made on my bangs after which I decided to just do it myself.

Stray_mind
January 16th, 2019, 01:17 AM
It looks pretty good. Only slightly uneven, but i think it creates a very interesting look! It could have turned out Far worse! ^^

Suortuva
January 16th, 2019, 02:25 AM
gustavonut, I really can't see what the problem is... You still have my dream bangs, and they look gorgeous! Really.

Growitagain28
January 16th, 2019, 03:50 AM
After I had my middle son I was in that hormonal postpartum limbo where my decision making skills were questionable lol and my bangs were the blunt of it. First I cut in blunt bangs which I hated and looked terrible, then went for a chunky side swept bangs that also looked terrible. I kept this up for awhile. Pictures of me at that time make me cringe! They will grow and really, I like them on you!

spidermom
January 16th, 2019, 07:39 AM
I've cut bangs too short so would part them and style them going to the side and back, kind of (hard to describe). A week makes a difference in bangs length, so hang in there. You'll be able to change them soon.

lapushka
January 16th, 2019, 08:22 AM
It's a tiny bit short right in the middle, for my personal taste, but other than that you did a great job with cutting them! And in about a few weeks it's gonna be perfect and you're going to enjoy them!

It's a bit of a learning curve with cutting them, but maybe next time you'll cut them just perfectly in length! :flower: Don't let this make you fearful of cutting your own bangs!

littlestarface
January 16th, 2019, 08:53 AM
Oh man I don't know how one can handle unevenness I would go insane literally,you must be very strong. I have a hard time just getting my hem perfectly straight or else I cannot sleep at night and it will bug me and play through my head over n over until I cut it straight. This is one reason why I cant have these straight across kind cuz you can literally see each strand across the face.

Aerya
January 16th, 2019, 08:55 AM
Making some mistakes is just part of the process when learning to cut your own bangs. I honestly think you did a good job, and they won't take long to grow back anyway. And you suit them so well! I think that kind of haircut can be a little tricky to pull off, but it looks fantastic on you. :flower:

gustavonut
January 16th, 2019, 09:44 AM
I think it looks cute! :)

Thanks a lot!

Nineteenbirds
January 16th, 2019, 11:12 AM
I have to say I'm enjoying reading all these bang disaster stories. Good to know I'm not the only one!

lapushka
January 16th, 2019, 11:16 AM
I have to say I'm enjoying reading all these bang disaster stories. Good to know I'm not the only one!

I once came out from a hairdresser (at graduation no less) looking like Amélie, before it was a popular look, with bangs that short. I could have done a better job. :(

All in all, it's a good first attempt, I'd say!!!

gustavonut
January 16th, 2019, 02:01 PM
To all the people who say it looks good I thank you all so much, my self esteem has been really low lately but this helped me actually enjoy what I have, even if it’s not 100% perfect.

That Amelie comment made me laugh because that’s immediately who I thought of when I cut them, they are about that short. XD

gustavonut
January 16th, 2019, 02:05 PM
You look like a doll! As for my bangs and I, yeah, I'm definitely always cutting them up lol, unfortunately, every time they're almost grown out. Like a vicious cycle! What I've done to fix this "need" is to give myself side bangs very carefully on just the one side. This way, whenever I part my hair on the other side, I don't have bangs anymore ;D Takes care of my indecisive thoughts and impulsive actions nicely.

Gosh, thanks so much for the sweet comment :blossom: Yeah I don’t think I plan on going back to the salon just to pay however much it would be to get them cut again. Plus this experiment of mine helps teach me for next time! I just need to learn how to not make it so...choppy :x

gustavonut
January 16th, 2019, 02:07 PM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35075&d=1547672512
My bangs after washing and using a hot round brush on them.

CopperButterfly
January 16th, 2019, 04:45 PM
I understand the feeling, I too have cut my bangs too short before. It takes a little practice to get it right. Fortunately, when it comes to bangs, even a week makes a big difference in length. They aren't too bad and in a couple of weeks they'll probably look amazing!

gustavonut
January 17th, 2019, 03:06 AM
If you guys have any suggestions on how to cut them more straight next time that would be awesome! The only method I did was twist and cut.

mica
January 17th, 2019, 04:53 AM
If you guys have any suggestions on how to cut them more straight next time that would be awesome! The only method I did was twist and cut.

In my experience, cutting my own bangs and my sisters', twist and cut works best for rather long bangs, as in bangs that are at least at eyebrow level or longer.
For shorter bangs (which I prefer) I use the twist method as a first step, if I just use that I find I can turn out quite uneven. For the second step, I take small sections of it and begin to make it as short as I want, (think Step 2 of Feye's straight-across trim (https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/)). As a last step, I like to do some tiny cuts with the scissors parallel to the hair (hard to explain...something like this (https://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8358081ff69e201a511f23c35970c-800wi)) to mask any choppiness

lapushka
January 17th, 2019, 05:30 AM
Twist & cut is a good method, just next time, cut them a little less short, and you should be fine. For a first time cutter you sure weren't conservative where cutting is concerned. ;) I would have been hesitant to take bits off. But you never know where to gauge it until you experience it for the first time.

gustavonut
January 17th, 2019, 07:11 AM
Twist & cut is a good method, just next time, cut them a little less short, and you should be fine. For a first time cutter you sure weren't conservative where cutting is concerned. ;) I would have been hesitant to take bits off. But you never know where to gauge it until you experience it for the first time.

Tbh my boyfriend was standing behind me looking at me because I kept saying “I’m scared I don’t want to cut too much”, and he just said “do it!” I’m just gonna blame him for the short length. Lol.
I really do like short bangs, like Bettie bangs or bumper bangs, I just would not know how to cut them right. :/ plus I don’t think I really have the eyebrows or face for it.

Thanks a lot for the help you guys!

lapushka
January 17th, 2019, 08:32 AM
Tbh my boyfriend was standing behind me looking at me because I kept saying “I’m scared I don’t want to cut too much”, and he just said “do it!” I’m just gonna blame him for the short length. Lol.
I really do like short bangs, like Bettie bangs or bumper bangs, I just would not know how to cut them right. :/ plus I don’t think I really have the eyebrows or face for it.

Thanks a lot for the help you guys!

Haha! Good idea. Next time, cut when he's not around... and take your time. :flower:

CopperButterfly
January 17th, 2019, 09:21 AM
When I cut my bangs, I do my initial cut longer than what I want, then I even it up in smaller pieces, using the first section as a guide for the rest. Then letting it all just hang where I want the bangs to lay, and use the scissors to just trim tiny bits until it looks right and even. The biggest thing is to just start conservative so that you have a little length to work with to get things even by the time you're done.

UP Lisa
January 17th, 2019, 09:50 AM
The biggest problem I have is to not cut hairs that shouldn't be cut/shouldn't be part of the bangs.

gustavonut
January 18th, 2019, 03:48 AM
I’d freaking kill for those bangs. Just so you know.

Woah now, I don’t think I did THAT good lol. ;) but thanks